Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Thu October 18th, 2018, 01:35 GMT

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat March 17th, 2018, 17:30 GMT 

I watched part one of the DVD set this afternoon. It was brilliant to see it again and see all the interviews with people who were around when Dylan's career was kicking off. It got me wondering why I don't ever play the 2CD set of the Bootleg Series Vol 7? Maybe having both the DVD and CD set is overkill? It maybe just me, I'll try listening to it again but I always seem to pick the DVD set to play before the CD set.

PostPosted: Sat March 17th, 2018, 18:04 GMT 

Have it on Blu-ray, fantastic documentary. Bootleg 7 is the only bootleg series album I haven’t bothered to listen to as I have seen the film a few times, is it still worth giving a shot?

PostPosted: Sun March 18th, 2018, 02:12 GMT 

I have it on vinyl and I enjoy it..I Was Young When I Left Home is the track that really got me into Dylan.

PostPosted: Sun March 18th, 2018, 02:52 GMT 

And a few minutes after I posted last, the Irish band I'm seeing at a local bar started playing..

I'm a rambler, I'm a gambler. I'm a long way from my home. If the people don't like me. They can leave me alone.

PostPosted: Sun March 18th, 2018, 04:28 GMT 

Jal015 wrote:
And a few minutes after I posted last, the Irish band I'm seeing at a local bar started playing..

I'm a rambler, I'm a gambler. I'm a long way from my home. If the people don't like me. They can leave me alone.

Think that line might was probably nicked from this song. I like spotting things like that in folk music.

Jug of Punch

And if I get drunk, well, the money's me own
And if them don't like me they can leave me alone
I'll tune me fiddle and I'll rosin me bow
Aye, and I'll be welcome wherever I go

PostPosted: Sun March 18th, 2018, 09:04 GMT 

What I find really strange after watching the first part of No Direction Home closely once again is that there appear to be no references to the ‘Great American Songbook’ and how those songs had such an influence on his career. What it contained was exactly as I expected – clips of Hank Williams, Woody Guthrie, Johnny Cash, Muddy Waters, Leadbelly, Odetta, John Jacob Niles; references to Bobby Vee, Gene Vincent, Howling Wolf, Peter, Paul and Mary; interviews with Pete Seeger, John Simon, Maria Muldaur, Liam Clancy, Joan Baez, Allen Ginsberg and Dave Van Ronk and Mavis Staples.

The nearest references to the influence of the ‘Great American Songbook’ where to Johnny Ray (Dylan describes his voice), Johnny Mathis (Mitch Miller was going through the artists usually associated as being signed by Columbia) and Patti Page (who had a hit with ‘How Much Is That Doggie in The Window’)

So, although I enjoyed Shadows In The Night and thought it was a fitting tribute to Frank Sinatra when it was released on the centenary of his birth I still don’t get the connection that led him to record and release over 50 songs of the genre. It is certainly not apparent after watching the DVD.

PostPosted: Fri March 23rd, 2018, 22:42 GMT 

Perhaps Bob discovered the buried joys of those songs 20 or 30 or 40 years later. I know I hated old-timey folk music when I was 20.