Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Mon December 17th, 2018, 16:28 GMT

All times are UTC




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Brains in Modern Times
PostPosted: Tue October 23rd, 2018, 05:25 GMT 

Joined: Wed May 10th, 2006, 01:12 GMT
Posts: 243
The word "brain" or "brains" appears in five of the songs on Modern Times.

That seems interesting to me. It's such a specific word.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue October 23rd, 2018, 06:21 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Sun June 14th, 2015, 07:15 GMT
Posts: 444
Have a listen for "heart" and "soul" too, if memory serves (and you may as well throw in "mind"); and you're on your way to getting to the, er, heart of the album itself.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue October 23rd, 2018, 10:36 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Sun January 22nd, 2017, 21:15 GMT
Posts: 1758
Location: on a bridge
She's the brains behind pa 8)

moab


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue October 23rd, 2018, 16:20 GMT 
Titanium Member
User avatar

Joined: Wed October 11th, 2006, 04:33 GMT
Posts: 5667
Location: Office of the Dean
He also made reference to the world being round, and yet felt the need to remind us again in 2012. His skin turned brown in 2009 and then his baby burned her brains out in 2012. Lots of repetition of prayers among the albums, deities not otherwise specified.

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue October 23rd, 2018, 16:30 GMT 
Promethium Member
User avatar

Joined: Sat October 27th, 2007, 12:44 GMT
Posts: 17747
Location: Workin' as a postal clerk
Something about how those “brains” are deployed made it stand out for me at the time, and ever since. I have never found a satisfying explanation, though.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue October 23rd, 2018, 18:13 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 16th, 2016, 17:00 GMT
Posts: 775
Location: Homer, AK
Hugo wrote:
The word "brain" or "brains" appears in five of the songs on Modern Times.

That seems interesting to me. It's such a specific word.



Didn't brain shown up a few times in that 1997 album too?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed October 24th, 2018, 11:11 GMT 

Joined: Thu October 18th, 2018, 15:18 GMT
Posts: 9
dylanswife wrote:
Hugo wrote:
The word "brain" or "brains" appears in five of the songs on Modern Times.

That seems interesting to me. It's such a specific word.



Didn't brain shown up a few times in that 1997 album too?


And on Tempest according to Long And Wasted years, "the sun can burn your brains right out".


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed October 24th, 2018, 14:17 GMT 

Joined: Fri December 9th, 2005, 20:47 GMT
Posts: 194
Ready for this???? He also used the word "THE" in EVERY song on that album. Genius!!!!! :roll:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed October 24th, 2018, 17:11 GMT 
Titanium Member
User avatar

Joined: Tue July 1st, 2014, 19:16 GMT
Posts: 5009
Location: Beyond The Horizon.
Attachment:
MBH..jpg



I picked this nice Tee from the merch stand, during that tour.


You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed October 24th, 2018, 17:41 GMT 

Joined: Fri July 27th, 2018, 02:02 GMT
Posts: 38
"Hey! Who could your lover be?
Let me eat off his head so you can really see."

"Brains in the pot, they're beginning to boil.
They're dripping with garlic and olive oil."

Have any of you eaten the brains of an animal or a human? I have. The best way I can describe it is that it tastes like pork, with the consistency of creamy scrambled eggs.

Eating brains -- which contain B-complex vitamins, plus C, calcium, magnesium and zinc -- helps keep your own brain healthy and can improve specific mental tasks, such as memory and concentration.

Food for thought.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed October 24th, 2018, 20:37 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Mon September 23rd, 2013, 20:25 GMT
Posts: 1383
Solo Teem wrote:
He also made reference to the world being round, and yet felt the need to remind us again in 2012.


I wonder if there are Dylanologists in the Flat Earth Society who analyze Bob's lyrics in a way to find confirmation for their beliefs. :lol:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed October 24th, 2018, 20:48 GMT 

Joined: Tue January 6th, 2015, 15:03 GMT
Posts: 667
Brains, you say? Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed October 24th, 2018, 21:00 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 16th, 2016, 17:00 GMT
Posts: 775
Location: Homer, AK
my precious time wrote:
Solo Teem wrote:
He also made reference to the world being round, and yet felt the need to remind us again in 2012.


I wonder if there are Dylanologists in the Flat Earth Society who analyze Bob's lyrics in a way to find confirmation for their beliefs. :lol:


Tangled live had a line about the earth being flat or round.... leaving him with a bad taste in his mouth lol


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed October 24th, 2018, 23:24 GMT 

Joined: Wed May 10th, 2006, 01:12 GMT
Posts: 243
rtocchet wrote:
Ready for this???? He also used the word "THE" in EVERY song on that album. Genius!!!!! :roll:


You really think the frequency of "the" and "brains" is comparable?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri October 26th, 2018, 14:23 GMT 

Joined: Fri December 9th, 2005, 20:47 GMT
Posts: 194
Hugo wrote:
rtocchet wrote:
Ready for this???? He also used the word "THE" in EVERY song on that album. Genius!!!!! :roll:


You really think the frequency of "the" and "brains" is comparable?


Do you really think It's alright Ma I'm only bleeding makes any sense???


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri October 26th, 2018, 14:36 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Sat April 14th, 2018, 19:53 GMT
Posts: 718
Location: Between Jupiter and Apollo
Do you really think It's alright Ma I'm only bleeding makes any sense???[/quote]

Uhh? Not sure where you're going with that.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ] 

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: goodnitesteve, Gypsy Davy, jcvf


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group