Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Fri September 21st, 2018, 13:33 GMT

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1570 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 59, 60, 61, 62, 63
PostPosted: Fri May 11th, 2018, 06:00 GMT 

Foggy wrote:
Anr Bjotk wrote:
I've become somewhat obsessed with the Slow Train from June 29, 1981 (Disco 2). Like most I already had the "Birds nest in your hair" bootleg, but the improved sound was a game changer.

Funny thing. The video Dylan's camp posted on youtube as "June 29 1981 London" is actually Earl's Court June 27 (compare the audio on the video to the actual release)... What else have they screwed up? :lol:

And not to get too nerdy, but there is a clear splice in the source material (on the actual June 29 '81) at the second verse "I had a woman (Bob laughs)/down in Alabama", around where the band crescendos. It gives me goosebumps every time. Anyone else catch that? I'm assuming they've used their own recording and spliced it with the bootleg? Or do they do several different recordings for each gig?

Yeah, I didn't realize it was a splice, but the music certainly seems to step up a gear at the point you mention. I find this moment particularly powerful--it's like it suddenly sharpens in focus.

Interestingly, this is the only live version of "Slow Train" from 1981 that features two guitar solos and lacks the keyboard solo (for this reason, the disc 8 version trumps it for me--I just love the keyboard break on this song).

I could listen to live versions of "Slow Train" everyday. Love 'em all.

Right? It's like a scene from a movie where the music suddenly goes from being played on the radio to being played in the scene. The way it glides into a different sound, it's like with that sound you're transposed to 1981.

The Earls Court version is fine, but ho-hum to my ears. It's missing that constant electric riff that drives the song more than the studio take. But then again, I love the 89 (87) Dylan & The Dead version, so what do I know?

PostPosted: Fri May 11th, 2018, 09:55 GMT 

The versions of Slow Train from '81 are the highlights of the set for me.

PostPosted: Fri May 11th, 2018, 17:09 GMT 

bobfan wrote:
The versions of Slow Train from '81 are the highlights of the set for me.

Yup. That and ""When You Gonna Wake Up?" from 81. Those alone are worth the $400 it cost (I forget what we paid).

PostPosted: Sat May 12th, 2018, 10:06 GMT 

Has a single human being ever sat through the full film? Literally cannot stomach it.

Bob sure knows how to sabotage his own live performances, whether 1975 and Renaldo and Clara or '79?

Let's just hope the Scorsese shindig is just concert footage for God's sake.

PostPosted: Sat May 12th, 2018, 10:12 GMT 

Foggy wrote:
Has a single human being ever sat through the full film? Literally cannot stomach it.

Three times, so far.

To my great surprise, I found I actually liked the sermons.

PostPosted: Sat May 12th, 2018, 10:13 GMT 

Foggy wrote:

Bob sure knows how to sabotage his own live performances, whether 1975 and Renaldo and Clara or '79?

Let's just hope the Scorsese shindig is just concert footage for God's sake.

I have... At least five times. I mean, I prefer watching the version minus Shannon (even though I love him), but it's amazing to watch. Should have been better video quality, but a joy to watch.

PostPosted: Sun May 13th, 2018, 04:25 GMT 
Titanium Member

just got back from road trip, played this for hours.
especially love; blessed is the Name, aint gonna go to hell, cover down, when He returns, dead man, aint no man righteous etc. etc.
Very good road music
Great collection

PostPosted: Sun May 13th, 2018, 07:41 GMT 

mjmooney wrote:
Foggy wrote:

Three times, so far.

To my great surprise, I found I actually liked the sermons.

I saw them on the TV (well two of the actual sermons) and that really was enough for me. I did leave the TV on for a little while and returned to the room to watch the music but left again when another sermon started. It really was too heavy for me and in the end I gave up. Only having the 2CD set has at least spared me from that again.

PostPosted: Sun May 13th, 2018, 10:12 GMT 

Love Michael Shannon as an actor, so I have no problem with the sermons. I just wish Bob would release some more concert footage in its entirety; all of Toronto '80, Hard Rain '76 etc etc. Been revisiting the set after a month's break and it's even better second time around. One of my favourite Bootleg installments for sure.

PostPosted: Mon May 14th, 2018, 01:24 GMT 

bobfan wrote:
Love Michael Shannon as an actor, so I have no problem with the sermons. I just wish Bob would release some more concert footage in its entirety; all of Toronto '80, Hard Rain '76 etc etc. Been revisiting the set after a month's break and it's even better second time around. One of my favourite Bootleg installments for sure.

Only getting to watch this movie now, have watched it a few times now. I am not that familiar with the music from this period but have enjoyed these performances. For me the rhythm and guitar work is excellent. I love hearing him with backing singers but sometimes they come in a bit too lound and strong, a bit of a cacophony, like at the beginning of 'Are you ready'. But mostly I love the backing singers.

I think the Sermons are essential to listening to these performances. To skip past the sermons is real dumb. I'm not religious. But the sermons remind us of the context of the lyrics.

I love this sermon 'and you ordered some boards from the saw mill' and 'some of them are crooked' and you're 'planing away' til you cannot even 'remember which one was the crooked board'. That one is just before 'Slow train'. Words to digest, whether you are religious or not. Yummy!

PostPosted: Mon May 14th, 2018, 13:29 GMT 

I saw the DVD part for the first time last night via Google search (lucked out) and found it to be quite good. Really enjoyed the sermon parts (guessing whomever came up with the price of the deluxe edition didn't) and went quite well with the live performances. .... Last song is even better seeing it with the rest of the presentation.

Only purchased the 2 CD version back when it was released due to the outrageous cost. Was disappointed it didn't include Making A Liar Out Of Me and In The Summertime had lyric flub. Thought it was ah'ight all on all. .... Don't think it warrants the high praise it seems to get, but I'm glad it gets it nevertheless.

Really wish they put a disc out of more modern takes of the songs. Believe that would have been a home run. ... I Believe In You from Boston 2005, various versions of Saving Grace (especially early 2003), In The Summertime from PA 2002 Fall Tour , Gotta Serve Somebody from 2000, Every Grain Of Sand '06-'07area, all come to mind as I write this. ... Those are the versions that made me listen to this time period back when they were performed and still find em better.

PostPosted: Mon May 14th, 2018, 15:56 GMT 

OldHenryLee wrote:
Really wish they put a disc out of more modern takes of the songs. Believe that would have been a home run. ... I Believe In You from Boston 2005, various versions of Saving Grace (especially early 2003), In The Summertime from PA 2002 Fall Tour , Gotta Serve Somebody from 2000, Every Grain Of Sand '06-'07area, all come to mind as I write this. ... Those are the versions that made me listen to this time period back when they were performed and still find em better.

Solid Rock from 2002. But not much more than that though. If there had been more I'm sure Mr Thousand Highways (I forget his name and username) would have made one by now.

PostPosted: Mon May 14th, 2018, 16:00 GMT 

GirlsWon'tLeaveMeAlone wrote:
I think the Sermons are essential to listening to these performances. To skip past the sermons is real dumb. I'm not religious. But the sermons remind us of the context of the lyrics.

I love this sermon 'and you ordered some boards from the saw mill' and 'some of them are crooked' and you're 'planing away' til you cannot even 'remember which one was the crooked board'. That one is just before 'Slow train'. Words to digest, whether you are religious or not. Yummy!

But they're not Bob's sermons, though. And they are all written down, so why they didn't use them seems, like mentioned before, like an admition of error on Bob's (/Bob's camps) side.

PostPosted: Mon May 14th, 2018, 16:18 GMT 

Solid Rock from 2002. But not much more than that though. If there had been more I'm sure Mr Thousand Highways (I forget his name and username) would have made one by now.[/quote]

Yes, from Barcelona is my fav. .... There's Gonna Change My Way Of Thinking from Boston '09, Satisfied Mind from either'99 or '00, Lenny Bruce Boston '05 to name a couple more. ... Could use some of the bluegrass type openers if needed .... Somebody Touched Me comes to mind. ... That's near 10 songs already. ... Most can already be found on ThousandHighways site. .... Maybe it'll come after the '81 2 disc comp or some time down the line. .... There's enough out there for one to make their own as well.

PostPosted: Mon May 14th, 2018, 16:39 GMT 

.... My main point was that it would've enhanced the deluxe edition for the price (assuming the price would've remained the same of course) and a great opportunity for those performances to be officially released.

PostPosted: Wed June 6th, 2018, 20:07 GMT 

After another troll through this package over the last few days im amazed at how fresh it still sounds to my ears, there is always something new to find. Lately the image of "walking away with your legs spread apart" has fascinated me :lol: (aint gonna go to hell for anybody). Did i really hear him say dog inplace of pig on one of the man gave names to all the animals.

The highlight for me is the gem 'rise again',

PostPosted: Wed June 6th, 2018, 21:01 GMT 

escapeedrifter wrote:
After another troll through this package over the last few days im amazed at how fresh it still sounds to my ears, there is always something new to find. Lately the image of "walking away with your legs spread apart" has fascinated me :lol: (aint gonna go to hell for anybody). Did i really hear him say dog inplace of pig on one of the man gave names to all the animals.

Surely you're trawling, not trolling, through it!? And that from a man by the banks of the Clyde!

Forgive me for being a smartarse, it's a fruitful set, not nearly as repetitive as one might think from the written contents. And you did hear him say 'dog', if I remember it right.

PostPosted: Wed June 6th, 2018, 21:13 GMT 

:wink:

PostPosted: Wed June 6th, 2018, 23:08 GMT 

escapeedrifter wrote:

"there is always something new to find"

Really, did you find another version of Slow Train? Do share.
Just kidding, sorta :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu June 7th, 2018, 11:07 GMT 

:? Its a phrase i use alot when going back through these big box releases. Its still fresh and i missed that a dog could be a pig woo hoo.

But yea right, next time il just keep it to myself

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1570 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 59, 60, 61, 62, 63