Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Tue December 11th, 2018, 08:58 GMT

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1579 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64  Next
PostPosted: Fri March 30th, 2018, 22:27 GMT 
Mercury Member

King David wrote:
Quote:
Um... yes.

You're aware I'm not made of money, yes?

But...but.. it's the gospel series, surely God will provide - isn't he supposed to love the poor? Just pray openly and honestly and hey presto!

PostPosted: Sat March 31st, 2018, 08:45 GMT 

King David wrote:
Quote:
Um... yes.

You're aware I'm not made of money, yes?
Me, neither. And I had grave misgivings about forking out the undoubtedly outrageous price. But now I've got it, I'm glad I did.

PostPosted: Mon April 2nd, 2018, 22:22 GMT 

What are the dates for the concerts in the Deluxe Edition?

PostPosted: Tue April 3rd, 2018, 04:02 GMT 

Is it the April 20 1980 Concert?

PostPosted: Tue April 3rd, 2018, 06:01 GMT 

King David wrote:

All info here, dates & locations.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Bootl ... _More_1979–1981

PostPosted: Tue April 3rd, 2018, 11:07 GMT 
Promethium Member

wormington wrote:
wormington wrote:
I finally had the deluxe copy I bought from Bobdylan.com, including the San Diego discs, in my hands this Christmas... and I had to leave it all behind me without even having heard the 1st track

Dylan himself could write a terrific sad song with that story

Still haven't given this one single spin :?

The cool thing is: it’ll be there when you’re ready.
I still haven’t watched the bonus dvd yet...

PostPosted: Tue April 3rd, 2018, 15:52 GMT 

Still Go Barefoot wrote:
The cool thing is: it’ll be there when you’re ready.

it will, it will!

PostPosted: Tue April 3rd, 2018, 15:59 GMT 

gerardv wrote:
King David wrote:

All info here, dates & locations.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Bootl ... _More_1979–1981

Not all info. It just says Live in Toronto 1980. When in 1980?

PostPosted: Tue April 3rd, 2018, 16:18 GMT 
Titanium Member

April 20

PostPosted: Tue April 3rd, 2018, 17:49 GMT 

John B. Stetson wrote:
April 20

not exactly, discs 5 and 6 are from three consecutive Toronto shows

Disc 5 – Live in Toronto 1980

1. Gotta Serve Somebody (April 18, 1980)
2. I Believe In You (April 18, 1980)
3. Covenant Woman (April 19, 1980)
4. When You Gonna Wake Up? (April 18, 1980)
5. When He Returns (April 20, 1980)
6. Ain’t Gonna Go To Hell For Anybody (Unreleased song – April 18, 1980)
7. Cover Down, Pray Through (Unreleased song – April 19, 1980)
8. Man Gave Names To All The Animals (April 19, 1980)
9. Precious Angel (April 19, 1980)

Disc 6 – Live in Toronto 1980

1. Slow Train (April 18, 1980)
2. Do Right To Me Baby (Do Unto Others) (April 20, 1980)
3. Solid Rock (April 20, 1980)
4. Saving Grace (April 18, 1980)
5. What Can I Do For You? (April 19, 1980)
6. In The Garden (April 20, 1980)
7. Band Introductions (April 19, 1980)
8. Are You Ready? (April 19, 1980)
9. Pressing On (April 18, 1980)

Discs 7 + 8 is the complete second concert (of six) at Earl’s Court, London – June 27, 1981

PostPosted: Tue April 3rd, 2018, 18:48 GMT 

slimtimslide wrote:

But...but.. it's the gospel series, surely God will provide - isn't he supposed to love the poor? Just pray openly and honestly and hey presto!

Or if you're Italian, hey pesto!

PostPosted: Wed April 4th, 2018, 02:32 GMT 

McG wrote:
Or if you're Italian, hey pesto!

boooooooo

Oh, and thanks, notdark. (I already had the April 20 concert.)

PostPosted: Sun May 6th, 2018, 15:16 GMT 

i just bought the 'poor-folks-version' & since that day it sits quiet and unplayed in the shelf. though i even considered buying the deluxe edition... i couldn't commit myself to do so... nearly 130 euros... it's not that i think his gospel stuff is boring... to be true... i don't know why but i do not feel any impulse to listen to the cds... strange, ain't it strange? :shock: well, maybe not, my heart's just not in it & yet i am disappointed... maybe i should've saved the money? :?:

PostPosted: Sun May 6th, 2018, 16:58 GMT 

cat lemonyi wrote:
i just bought the 'poor-folks-version' & since that day it sits quiet and unplayed in the shelf. though i even considered buying the deluxe edition... i couldn't commit myself to do so... nearly 130 euros... it's not that i think his gospel stuff is boring... to be true... i don't know why but i do not feel any impulse to listen to the cds... strange, ain't it strange? :shock: well, maybe not, my heart's just not in it & yet i am disappointed... maybe i should've saved the money? :?:

You are really missing out. The 2CD 'best of' set is what I got as well. I wasn't expecting to enjoy it that much as although I love Slow Train I've never been a great fan of Saved or Shot. However, I have to say that I fell in love with what I heard and it's really had some time on the player. I even got someone to do me a copy of the Earls Court show and have to say I enjoyed that as well! I think that not liking the Triplicate stuff helped - this was my 'alternative' buy and at least it's original!

PostPosted: Sun May 6th, 2018, 19:33 GMT 

dvdunplugged wrote:
cat lemonyi wrote:

You are really missing out. The 2CD 'best of' set is what I got as well. I wasn't expecting to enjoy it that much as although I love Slow Train I've never been a great fan of Saved or Shot. However, I have to say that I fell in love with what I heard and it's really had some time on the player. I even got someone to do me a copy of the Earls Court show and have to say I enjoyed that as well! I think that not liking the Triplicate stuff helped - this was my 'alternative' buy and at least it's original!

I think this is the best 2 CD version of a BS since Another Self Portrait. It works also as a "vintage" live BS entry like volumes 4, 5 and 6.

PostPosted: Tue May 8th, 2018, 14:43 GMT 

Does anyone still have a link to the video of Bob playing Blowin in the Wind (I think) that was released at the same time as BS13? Think it was related to the Vaults, but I'm sure it was mentioned in this thread... Pro recorded video.

PostPosted: Tue May 8th, 2018, 14:58 GMT 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyl ... story.html

That's the article, but believe the clips have been removed. ... Bet someone out there has it and might be willing to send you a PM.

PostPosted: Tue May 8th, 2018, 15:00 GMT 

OldHenryLee wrote:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/style/a-billionaires-quirky-quest-to-create-a-mecca-for-bob-dylan-fans-in-tulsa-oklahoma/2017/10/11/6e7f4754-93f9-11e7-89fa-bb822a46da5b_story.html

That's the article, but believe the clips have been removed. ... Bet someone out there has it and might be willing to send you a PM.

Shucky darn. Praying for a PM. I should have downloaded it when I had the chance. Do you remember the year, song or anything?

PostPosted: Tue May 8th, 2018, 15:35 GMT 

Blowin' In The Wind 1981 Lakeland FL

https://themidnightcafe.org/2018/01/03/ ... -11-21-81/

https://youtu.be/1kmJXhUI1wg

.... Some audience recorded audio ta hold you over for now.

... If my memory is correct I remember folks saying they were going to save the video clips when the article was released. I'm sure you'll have some luck in due time.

PostPosted: Tue May 8th, 2018, 15:43 GMT 

OldHenryLee wrote:
Blowin' In The Wind 1981 Lakeland FL

https://themidnightcafe.org/2018/01/03/ ... -11-21-81/

https://youtu.be/1kmJXhUI1wg

.... Some audience recorded audio ta hold you over for now.

... If my memory is correct I remember folks saying they were going to save the video clips when the article was released. I'm sure you'll have some luck in due time.

Cheers! Hopefully someone were wise enough to strike while the iron was still warm enough as to yield any change in the structure of the iron itself when struck- as the old saying goes.

PostPosted: Tue May 8th, 2018, 17:10 GMT 

Quote:

I think this is the best 2 CD version of a BS since Another Self Portrait. It works also as a "vintage" live BS entry like volumes 4, 5 and 6.

okay, okay... :wink: i'll give it a chance, the time will come to play them!

o, yes, those early releases... i remember buying "live 1966"... great time... i was 16 starting to discover the work of bob dylan!
alright, if this 13 gives rise to some kind of a nostalgia feeling... then in this case it's all right for me! 8)

PostPosted: Thu May 10th, 2018, 06:27 GMT 

I've played the hell (no pun intended) out of this. Just immersed myself in the joy of this particular musical interlude. It's by no means my favourite era, and the collection is arguably somewhat erratic, but it is passionate, vivid, out there.

The collection fills some important gaps, lending (much needed) colour to the more one-dimensional tones of the official albums: lyrically and musically, Ain't Gonna Go To Hell, Cover Down Pray Through, Trouble in Mind, Yonder Comes Sin, Thief on the Cross, Dead Man Dead Man (alternative version), and perhaps You Changed My Life (alternative version) possess a lyrical richness, (dark) humour, and intrigue lacking on the official releases. And then, of course, there are the always great songs such as Groom’s Still Waiting, Caribbean Wind, Angelina . . . oops, not that last one, but you get the point.

In almost every case, the live versions trump the studio recordings (normally, this isn’t so for me). The Slow Train Comin’ songs rock. The title track is a force of nature, each and every time. I never get bored with all the variants of Gotta Serve Somebody, formally one of my least liked tracks—I even love the jazzy inclinations of Do Right To Me. Live-wise, this is one of Bob’s most vibrant eras, no doubt. When You Gonna Wake Up? Phew.

And I haven't even mentioned Dylan's vocal performance in all its textures.

Yeah, the era is flawed, but that is ultimately perhaps one of its attractions. Despite all the hectoring and lecturing, ultimately it’s very human. Saved has not be completely saved, ’79 can be a bit reedy, and the choir can be a little over-bearing . . . but, boy, have I enjoyed this release.

PostPosted: Thu May 10th, 2018, 14:41 GMT 

Foggy wrote:
I've played the hell (no pun intended) out of this. Just immersed myself in the joy of this particular musical interlude. It's by no means my favourite era, and the collection is arguably somewhat erratic, but it is passionate, vivid, out there.

The collection fills some important gaps, lending (much needed) colour to the more one-dimensional tones of the official albums: lyrically and musically, Ain't Gonna Go To Hell, Cover Down Pray Through, Trouble in Mind, Yonder Comes Sin, Thief on the Cross, Dead Man Dead Man (alternative version), and perhaps You Changed My Life (alternative version) possess a lyrical richness, (dark) humour, and intrigue lacking on the official releases. And then, of course, there are the always great songs such as Groom’s Still Waiting, Caribbean Wind, Angelina . . . oops, not that last one, but you get the point.

In almost every case, the live versions trump the studio recordings (normally, this isn’t so for me). The Slow Train Comin’ songs rock. The title track is a force of nature, each and every time. I never get bored with all the variants of Gotta Serve Somebody, formally one of my least liked tracks—I even love the jazzy inclinations of Do Right To Me. Live-wise, this is one of Bob’s most vibrant eras, no doubt. When You Gonna Wake Up? Phew.

And I haven't even mentioned Dylan's vocal performance in all its textures.

Yeah, the era is flawed, but that is ultimately perhaps one of its attractions. Despite all the hectoring and lecturing, ultimately it’s very human. Saved has not be completely saved, ’79 can be a bit reedy, and the choir can be a little over-bearing . . . but, boy, have I enjoyed this release.

Couldn't have said it better!

PostPosted: Thu May 10th, 2018, 15:17 GMT 

I've become somewhat obsessed with the Slow Train from June 29, 1981 (Disco 2). Like most I already had the "Birds nest in your hair" bootleg, but the improved sound was a game changer.

Funny thing. The video Dylan's camp posted on youtube as "June 29 1981 London" is actually Earl's Court June 27 (compare the audio on the video to the actual release)... What else have they screwed up? :lol:

And not to get too nerdy, but there is a clear splice in the source material (on the actual June 29 '81) at the second verse "I had a woman (Bob laughs)/down in Alabama", around where the band crescendos. It gives me goosebumps every time. Anyone else catch that? I'm assuming they've used their own recording and spliced it with the bootleg? Or do they do several different recordings for each gig?

PostPosted: Thu May 10th, 2018, 18:40 GMT 

Anr Bjotk wrote:
I've become somewhat obsessed with the Slow Train from June 29, 1981 (Disco 2). Like most I already had the "Birds nest in your hair" bootleg, but the improved sound was a game changer.

Funny thing. The video Dylan's camp posted on youtube as "June 29 1981 London" is actually Earl's Court June 27 (compare the audio on the video to the actual release)... What else have they screwed up? :lol:

And not to get too nerdy, but there is a clear splice in the source material (on the actual June 29 '81) at the second verse "I had a woman (Bob laughs)/down in Alabama", around where the band crescendos. It gives me goosebumps every time. Anyone else catch that? I'm assuming they've used their own recording and spliced it with the bootleg? Or do they do several different recordings for each gig?

Yeah, I didn't realize it was a splice, but the music certainly seems to step up a gear at the point you mention. I find this moment particularly powerful--it's like it suddenly sharpens in focus.

Interestingly, this is the only live version of "Slow Train" from 1981 that features two guitar solos and lacks the keyboard solo (for this reason, the disc 8 version trumps it for me--I just love the keyboard break on this song).

I could listen to live versions of "Slow Train" everyday. Love 'em all.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1579 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64  Next