Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Sat February 16th, 2019, 19:33 GMT

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun January 6th, 2019, 02:22 GMT 

I would like to alert people to my forthcoming book, "Bob Dylan's Poetics: How the Songs Work." It offers a close study of Dylan's style, lyrical and musical, and of the intersection of lyric and music. It will be published in April by Zonebooks (https://www.zonebooks.org/books/134-bob ... songs-work). It is available for pre-order from Amazon. I'll be doing a series of promotional events, in San Francisco, Chicago, D.C. and Paris in April May and June.

PostPosted: Sun January 6th, 2019, 15:09 GMT 
Titanium Member

timothyhampton wrote:
I would like to alert people to my forthcoming book, "Bob Dylan's Poetics: How the Songs Work." It offers a close study of Dylan's style, lyrical and musical, and of the intersection of lyric and music. It will be published in April by Zonebooks (https://www.zonebooks.org/books/134-bob ... songs-work). It is available for pre-order from Amazon. I'll be doing a series of promotional events, in San Francisco, Chicago, D.C. and Paris in April May and June.

Sounds great! Best of luck with it!

Went to the link and found this statement in the opening blurb -

"Bob Dylan’s Poetics: How the Songs Work is the first comprehensive book on both the poetics and politics of Dylan’s compositions."

"first"???? Right there you suffer a setback. There are numerous scholarly books out covering the exact same thing - the two most renowned are professors at Harvard University and Boston University - hardly lightweights.

And let's not forget the deep, extensive work Scott Warmuth has done.

But again, great to see and hopefully you will have new and interesting insights.

Better still, how about tossing out some real things here to get us interested? You've got the right idea marketing it here with the Dylan crowd, but please - even some crumbs????

In fact, in a moment of generosity, I'll give you a great tip. You need a marketing "HOOK" - something that gets us interested big time and makes us want more.
All we have now is a dubious claim of "first". Hook - please.

PostPosted: Sun January 6th, 2019, 15:31 GMT 

Interesting.

Good luck.

PostPosted: Sun January 6th, 2019, 23:38 GMT 

Chrome Horse, let's read that post again: "It offers a close study of Dylan's style, lyrical and musical, and of the intersection of lyric and music." I've read the distinguished volumes to which you allude; neither talks about music.

PostPosted: Mon January 7th, 2019, 09:31 GMT 
Titanium Member

Well Tim,, you are here to sell books - super. I have roughly TWICE as many words here about your book
as you. Instead of talking about me, kindly tell us why we should buy your book. I'm not trying to give you a hard time. There are a lot if Dylab books out there, as you know.. Why yours?

This IS. a discussion forum........

PostPosted: Tue January 8th, 2019, 01:22 GMT 

What a ridiculous blurb. Reads like a parody of self-importance.

Quote:
Bob Dylan’s reception of the 2016 Nobel Prize for Literature has elevated him beyond the world of popular music, establishing him as a major modern artist.

The Nobel Prize for Literature established Bob Dylan as a "major modern artist"? Please. Dylan has been rightly celebrated as such for over 50 years. He was awarded the Nobel Prize in recognition of this fact.

In any case, how pretentious must a person be to think that it's the members of the Swedish Academy who get to decide who is and isn't a "major modern artist"? That's for the public to decide, and they made their minds up with respect to Dylan ages ago.

Quote:
However, until now, no study of his career has focused on the details and nuances of the songs, showing how they work as artistic statements designed to create meaning and elicit emotion

There are literally scores of books that have been written about the songs of Bob Dylan. Are we to believe that not one of them touches upon the "details and nuances"? I'm sure the authors of such works will be disappointed to learn that they failed to show how the songs "work as artistic statements designed to create meaning and elicit emotion."

Only a true-blue academic could think approaching songs as "artistic statements designed to create meaning and elicit emotion" is a novel concept. That's what anyone who writes about music is doing, by definition. That's music.

Quote:
Bob Dylan’s Poetics: How the Songs Work is the first comprehensive book on both the poetics and politics of Dylan’s compositions.

Arrant nonsense. You should be embarrassed to so casually insult the countless Dylan writers on whose shoulders you and your supposedly innovative analysis stand.

Quote:
It studies Dylan, not as a pop hero, but as an artist, as a maker of songs.

"Songwriter" is a perfectly good word. Just because it's used by us regular folk—we who worship "pop heroes"—doesn't mean you have to toss it overboard in favour of more grandiloquent constructions. "Maker of songs" doesn't convey anything that "songwriter" doesn't, it just sounds stupider.

Quote:
Focusing on the interplay of music and lyric, it traces Dylan’s innovative use of musical form, his complex manipulation of poetic diction, and his dialogues with other artists, from Woody Guthrie to Arthur Rimbaud.

"The interplay of music and lyric"? You mean, like... a song?

Also, connecting Dylan to Woody Guthrie and Rimbaud; really plowing some new ground there.

Quote:
Moving from Dylan’s earliest experiments with the blues, through his mastery of rock and country, up to his densely allusive recent recordings, Timothy Hampton offers a detailed account of Dylan’s achievement.

I bet. I would expect nothing less from the author of the "first comprehensive book on both the poetics and politics of Dylan’s compositions."

Quote:
Locating Dylan in the long history of artistic modernism, the book studies the relationship between form, genre, and the political and social themes that crisscross Dylan’s work

Mighty generous of you to carve out space for Dylan in that "long history of artistic modernism," considering he only became a "major modern artist" in 2016.

Quote:
Bob Dylan’s Poetics: How the Songs Work offers both a nuanced engagement with the work of a major artist and a meditation on the contribution of song at times of political and social change.

Sounds like every Dylan book, ever. Except the rest had better blurbs.

This is a Bob Dylan discussion forum, not an auction house. Go peddle your wares elsewhere.

PostPosted: Tue January 8th, 2019, 10:25 GMT 
Titanium Member

Paging Thickboy...

PostPosted: Tue January 8th, 2019, 16:53 GMT 
Mercury Member

:shock:

Jeez, you guys play rough. :lol: