Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Sat September 22nd, 2018, 23:42 GMT

All times are UTC




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 254 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 11  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Thu November 30th, 2017, 00:40 GMT 

Joined: Mon March 8th, 2010, 22:47 GMT
Posts: 59
So anything visible on the horizon? Want to see the JWH-Sessions and the few remaining lost Basement Tapes songs (not released on the Complete Box-set)!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu November 30th, 2017, 00:50 GMT 
Promethium Member
User avatar

Joined: Fri July 15th, 2011, 02:23 GMT
Posts: 22652
Well there’s only a few weeks left in the year, so hold tight.
We will know soon enough.
“Like sand through the hourglass, these are the days of our lives.”


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu November 30th, 2017, 17:05 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Tue April 4th, 2006, 16:17 GMT
Posts: 2583
Location: Glasgow, on the banks of the clyde
Fingers crossed, would compliment the latest bootleg series in a strange way.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun December 3rd, 2017, 10:23 GMT 

Joined: Wed December 13th, 2006, 13:48 GMT
Posts: 28
Perhaps Sony Legacy releases it on December 27th, 50 years after the release of John Wesley Harding in 1967.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed December 6th, 2017, 21:38 GMT 

Joined: Sat May 2nd, 2015, 14:57 GMT
Posts: 41
Any update on this? Is it this unusual for copyright box information to leak out this late/at all? When did we find out about the 1965 drop as the bonus for the Big Blue Box?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed December 6th, 2017, 21:54 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Sat September 3rd, 2016, 14:33 GMT
Posts: 36
DarkEyes wrote:
Any update on this? Is it this unusual for copyright box information to leak out this late/at all? When did we find out about the 1965 drop as the bonus for the Big Blue Box?

I got the email for the download-only "Copyright 1965" for Big Blue owners on December 4, 2015. Previous Copyright sets were quietly released in mid-December.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed December 6th, 2017, 21:56 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Sat September 3rd, 2016, 14:33 GMT
Posts: 36
Brickbat wrote:
Perhaps Sony Legacy releases it on December 27th, 50 years after the release of John Wesley Harding in 1967.

That was my hope, that Sony would deny there was any JWH release coming, then they would quietly release a very simple Sony Legacy reissue on December 29th (last Friday of 2017) consisting of a stereo remaster (fixing the problems of the 2003), a mono remaster, and 2-3 discs of outtakes. A "silent" release almost like the original JWH.

Not counting on it (at all) ... but it would be an amazing surprise.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu December 7th, 2017, 00:02 GMT 
Promethium Member
User avatar

Joined: Fri July 15th, 2011, 02:23 GMT
Posts: 22652
Kinda counting on it over here.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu December 7th, 2017, 00:04 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Sat September 3rd, 2016, 14:33 GMT
Posts: 36
Still Go Barefoot wrote:
Kinda counting on it over here.

Hope you're right.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri December 8th, 2017, 16:09 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Mon June 30th, 2014, 16:37 GMT
Posts: 461
No trace of release for today. Three weeks left for them to finally release those outtakes. I hope we will have more infos next friday.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun December 10th, 2017, 00:48 GMT 
Promethium Member
User avatar

Joined: Fri July 15th, 2011, 02:23 GMT
Posts: 22652
That would be nice.
Still plenty of time.
Guessing it will also just drop with no fanfare.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun December 10th, 2017, 03:14 GMT 

Joined: Fri January 6th, 2006, 05:56 GMT
Posts: 122
Sean Murdock wrote:
DarkEyes wrote:
Any update on this? Is it this unusual for copyright box information to leak out this late/at all? When did we find out about the 1965 drop as the bonus for the Big Blue Box?

I got the email for the download-only "Copyright 1965" for Big Blue owners on December 4, 2015. Previous Copyright sets were quietly released in mid-December.

I seem to recall hearing about CD-R copies of the very first set--the 1962 set--hitting EU music stores with absolutely no advance warning during the final week of 2012. My best recollection, perhaps incorrect, is that for whatever reason, Sony "released" it as close to New Year's Eve as possible.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun December 10th, 2017, 03:19 GMT 
Titanium Member
User avatar

Joined: Wed December 5th, 2012, 18:52 GMT
Posts: 5535
Location: In a hole in the ground there lived a....
I'm thinking that maybe Sony realizes even if they put out 5 CD-Rs in the Czech Republic, that they will be immediately torrented and they will lose any control they currently have now on these contents. I guess we shall see, but I believe the "source" on this.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun December 10th, 2017, 04:22 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Wed September 28th, 2016, 22:50 GMT
Posts: 251
Location: Comin' round the bend
Do the JWH outtakes have to be released in 2017? Since JWH was released in late December, it hasn't even been 50 years yet. All the other copyright collections were released close to end of the year, and contained outtakes and live cuts that were well over 50 years old. I don't know much about European Copyright Law. Do audio recordings have to be released in the year that they become 50 years old? Or do they get extra time to release them once they turn 50? For example, the 1965-1966 bootleg series entry (released in late 2015) featured recordings that were made all throughout 1965. Hence, the BIABH recordings in January were already 50 years and about 10 months old when they were included in the box set. They were able to be be under copyright. See what I'm saying? Maybe the companies have a chance to put out the recordings at any time before they turn 51 years old? All this copyright business confuses me.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun December 10th, 2017, 11:14 GMT 

Joined: Tue November 7th, 2006, 15:14 GMT
Posts: 3146
Mail Train wrote:
Do the JWH outtakes have to be released in 2017? Since JWH was released in late December, it hasn't even been 50 years yet. All the other copyright collections were released close to end of the year, and contained outtakes and live cuts that were well over 50 years old. I don't know much about European Copyright Law. Do audio recordings have to be released in the year that they become 50 years old? Or do they get extra time to release them once they turn 50? For example, the 1965-1966 bootleg series entry (released in late 2015) featured recordings that were made all throughout 1965. Hence, the BIABH recordings in January were already 50 years and about 10 months old when they were included in the box set. They were able to be be under copyright. See what I'm saying? Maybe the companies have a chance to put out the recordings at any time before they turn 51 years old? All this copyright business confuses me.


as far as I remember the deadline for releasing 50 year old stuff is the end of the year, i.e. 31/12/17 for all recordings made in 1967.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun December 10th, 2017, 11:50 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Mon July 31st, 2006, 09:13 GMT
Posts: 2300
Location: out on Decatur Hill
According to Directive 2011/77/EU of the European Parliament and of the Council of 27 September 2011 the situation in regard to phonograms/recordings is as follows:

A recording must be released within a period of 50 years after fixation (= recording date), otherwise it falls into the public domain (in the EU). If it is released within that period (the cut off date being Dec. 31) it is protected for 70 years from the date of release. This means that "The Complete Basement Tapes" for example are protected until 2084.

Recordings made before 1963 are out of copyright in the EU, no matter what. Therefore the EU market is overflowing with unauthorized (but legal in the EU) releases of Dylan's first album and Dylan bootleg material from 1961 and 1962 (and classic Jazz and Rock & Roll recordings from the 1950s/early 1960s etc.). This means that Dylan's "1962 Anniversary Collection" proved to be superfluous legally (in the EU). But when it was released (in late 2012) the legal situation was unclear, since the new law had not been passed by the legislature of all EU member states (this process was finally completed in 2013). Therefore Sony/Dylan's people released it just in case.

Note: The copyright for compositions is different: The actual compositions (written musical notes and lyrics) are protected for life of author + 70 years.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun December 10th, 2017, 17:36 GMT 
Promethium Member
User avatar

Joined: Fri July 15th, 2011, 02:23 GMT
Posts: 22652
Thanks for re-echoing those facts again, Echo.

The fact is, Dylan, Inc. has been quite prudent about this whole copyright affair all along.
Unless something changed, no reason to think they won't continue with their current philosophy.
Looking forward to whatever they drop and however it gets out there.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun December 10th, 2017, 19:11 GMT 
Titanium Member
User avatar

Joined: Sat January 3rd, 2009, 15:19 GMT
Posts: 8693
Location: Desolation Row
Could Sony make a convincing argument that JWH wasn't released in Europe until 1968 as it wasn't - at least anecdotally - available in shops until January 1968?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun December 10th, 2017, 20:00 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Mon September 23rd, 2013, 20:25 GMT
Posts: 1316
gibsona07 wrote:
Could Sony make a convincing argument that JWH wasn't released in Europe until 1968 as it wasn't - at least anecdotally - available in shops until January 1968?

The recording date is relevant and that was in 1967.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun December 10th, 2017, 21:35 GMT 

Joined: Tue November 7th, 2006, 15:14 GMT
Posts: 3146
I guess we'll see a release quite soon – either by Sony or by someone else…


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon December 11th, 2017, 09:11 GMT 

Joined: Sun April 17th, 2016, 14:09 GMT
Posts: 2244
Location: Austria
slewan wrote:
I guess we'll see a release quite soon – either by Sony or by someone else…


I guess both.

They did so with 1962 - 1964 when they released these limited LP box sets ( 50th Anniversary Collection ) and month after it they released it as bootleg.

It will be the same again.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon December 11th, 2017, 09:51 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Wed December 16th, 2009, 12:57 GMT
Posts: 1094
I can see it: 3 gorgeous looking 180 gram vinyls, each with personalized artwork with rare photos of the area, such as in Another self-portrait vinyl edition. Gorgeous book with color photos and insightful and entertaining comments by the session musicians and crew who attended the recording sessions, including hilarious anecdotes, accounts of unforgettable moments of Dylan´s genius in the studio re-arranging the songs on the spot with amazing results to everyone´s awe, and a miniature replica of the motorcycle that caused his accident. All for 40 bucks.
Released unannounced on 29th dec, after everyone has lost all hope.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon December 11th, 2017, 10:31 GMT 

Joined: Tue January 6th, 2015, 15:03 GMT
Posts: 579
wormington wrote:
I can see it: 3 gorgeous looking 180 gram vinyls, each with personalized artwork with rare photos of the area, such as in Another self-portrait vinyl edition. Gorgeous book with color photos and insightful and entertaining comments by the session musicians and crew who attended the recording sessions, including hilarious anecdotes, accounts of unforgettable moments of Dylan´s genius in the studio re-arranging the songs on the spot with amazing results to everyone´s awe, and a miniature replica of the motorcycle that caused his accident. All for 40 bucks.
Released unannounced on 29th dec, after everyone has lost all hope.
That's a lovely idea (apart from the vinyl bit, I want CDs).


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon December 11th, 2017, 11:52 GMT 
Promethium Member
User avatar

Joined: Fri July 15th, 2011, 02:23 GMT
Posts: 22652
wormington wrote:
I can see it: ...
Released unannounced on 29th dec, after everyone has lost all hope.

Hope not lost till Jan 1st.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon December 11th, 2017, 12:06 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Wed December 16th, 2009, 12:57 GMT
Posts: 1094
I just at least hope that, if there's a release, it wont be a damn download code.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 254 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 11  Next

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: christo, hcooper, RenegadePriest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group