Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Fri April 26th, 2019, 04:35 GMT

All times are UTC

Post subject: Modern Theft
PostPosted: Tue December 9th, 2008, 18:18 GMT 

Found this on Watchtower, a great collection of songs that influenced L&T and MT. A few weeks back someone said we should gather all these, and here they are. Thanks to the owner of the webpage and the compiler!

http://www.dylancollector.com/moderntheft/

Post subject: Re: Modern Theft
PostPosted: Tue December 9th, 2008, 19:24 GMT 

This is an answered prayer.

Now, I gotta wait 'til I get home to download 'em.

-dELVIS-

PostPosted: Tue December 9th, 2008, 19:30 GMT 

Omg i can't believe how tweedle dee is just completely stolen, jeez

PostPosted: Tue December 9th, 2008, 19:34 GMT 

What was it Bob told us ...'If I were a thief, perhaps I'd rob them ....' ... Well done, Bob - you got away with it. Love and cheers!

PostPosted: Tue December 9th, 2008, 20:52 GMT 

Does this make you lose any respect for bobby?

How does he get away with just completely stealing all these songs

PostPosted: Tue December 9th, 2008, 20:58 GMT 
Promethium Member

madagascar wrote:

Over dinner about 25 years ago Jimmy Page told him "Keep a straight face and cash the checks." He must have written that down.

PostPosted: Tue December 9th, 2008, 21:10 GMT 
Titanium Member

Sweeeeeeeeet!
Thanks so much!

PostPosted: Tue December 9th, 2008, 21:20 GMT 

Long Johnny wrote:
madagascar wrote:

Over dinner about 25 years ago Jimmy Page told him "Keep a straight face and cash the checks." He must have written that down.

Key to all acts of fraud & piracy... Never write anything down.

-dELVIS-

PostPosted: Tue December 9th, 2008, 21:23 GMT 

madagascar wrote:

Seeing as how there's at least 4 "hit" songs on the radio that all use the same chord progressions (Em-C-G-D is a favorite), I don't really mind it. Truth be told, if he was to rip off a more contemporary song I'm pretty sure he'd have some legal issues on his hands. Some of these songs aren't just "inspiration" for his - they are definite blue-prints.

-dELVIS-

PostPosted: Tue December 9th, 2008, 21:25 GMT 
Banned

delvis_crasho wrote:
madagascar wrote:

Seeing as how there's at least 4 "hit" songs on the radio that all use the same chord progressions (Em-C-G-D is a favorite), I don't really mind it. Truth be told, if he was to rip off a more contemporary song I'm pretty sure he'd have some legal issues on his hands. Some of these songs aren't just "inspiration" for his - they are definite blue-prints.

-dELVIS-

Dylan's 1989-present work is so f*cking spectacular, I don't give a tin shit that some of his tunes and lyrics are twinned with older, simpler songs

PostPosted: Tue December 9th, 2008, 21:34 GMT 

idiot with wind wrote:
Dylan's 1989-present work is so f*cking spectacular, I don't give a tin shit that some of his tunes and lyrics are twinned with older, simpler songs

Don't get me wrong, I don't mind it; in fact, I think it makes the songs much more mysterious and powerful.

But I do enjoy being objective and stating the reality that, in these modern times, Dylan's awfully lucky he hasn't been served with papers. I can imagine that some of the owners of these songs take it as an "honor" to have Bob tranform a song that is their property. I don't know. I can't say. Johnny Cash pretty much ripped him off with "Understand Your Man;" I don't know if he ever gave Dylan a writing credit for that.

It's all pretty interesting to me.

-dELVIS-

PostPosted: Tue December 9th, 2008, 21:37 GMT 
Banned

I think you raise a good point there as certainly the author of Confession of a Yakuza saw it as a huge compliment to have Dylan use certain phrases. That said, I can see where Dylan was coming from in sueing Hootie and the Blowfish for appropriating his lyrics - their music is shitcakes :wink:

PostPosted: Tue December 9th, 2008, 21:55 GMT 

Dylan...wot a creep!

PostPosted: Tue December 9th, 2008, 21:57 GMT 
Banned

The Friends episode with Hootie and the Blowfish is a low-point of American TV

PostPosted: Tue December 9th, 2008, 22:21 GMT 

Both Rollin' and Tumblin' and Someday Baby are ripped off from Muddy Waters' versions, NOT the versions on this list. And I mean parts of the lyrics, arrangements, drumpatterns, solos- the whole shebang. The versions listed here are really not that similar, but go check out Muddys' versions, especially Rollin' and Tumblin' and you'll see (hear) what I mean.

And to be perfectly honest: Muddys' versions of both songs are clearly superior.

PostPosted: Tue December 9th, 2008, 23:20 GMT 
Titanium Member

Wow. Esp. Gene Austin's highly haunting 'Lonesome Road' is a total blueprint for Sugar Baby. I've always defended (from those who continue to mistake art for a term paper) the practice of borrowing. I even tried following some Burroughs-esque 'cut-up' formulas for writing poetry. This process works amazingly well, it's fascinating how the mind constructs sense out of randomness, but in the end I found the results not very satisfying. They felt impersonal, sort of like what comes out when you feed some lines into babelfish. (Better was a technique where you take a poem in a language you don't understand and translate it based on the sounds into similar-sounding English, and work from there). But anyway I wonder if Dylan feels less proud, or less interested, ultimately, in songs like this one where his method of composition pretty much consisted of taking a song whole cloth and changing some of the words. Or does he love a song like Lonesome Road so much that he just wants a way to be able to be sing it in concert under his own aegis?

That said, I love that he's resuscitating these songs that virtually no one remembers, (otherwise who amongst us has been withholding this Gene Austin information for seven years?) songs that i for one would have trouble getting into without his Rosetta Stone-like penchant for helping translate into Rock idiom what was previously indecipherably hoary.

PostPosted: Wed December 10th, 2008, 00:44 GMT 

Anyone willing to bet their life on their presumption of who actually composed any of these tunes is as good as dead.

Dylan is a long-time student of song, and knows quite well what is valid copyright and what isn't.

Remember this: He never got successfully sued (though I think he settled with some peers).

PostPosted: Wed December 10th, 2008, 02:22 GMT 

OneRoomCountryShack wrote:
Omg i can't believe how tweedle dee is just completely stolen, jeez

Stolen is putting it mildly. Bobby could end up OJ's cellmate.....

PostPosted: Wed December 10th, 2008, 03:52 GMT 
Promethium Member

lowgen wrote:
Anyone willing to bet their life on their presumption of who actually composed any of these tunes is as good as dead.

Dylan is a long-time student of song, and knows quite well what is valid copyright and what isn't.

Remember this: He never got successfully sued (though I think he settled with some peers).

What does that mean? That he "knew" the Japanese novel wasn't protected? Bullshit. Of course it is.

PostPosted: Wed December 10th, 2008, 04:12 GMT 

P.Jekk wrote:
Both Rollin' and Tumblin' and Someday Baby are ripped off from Muddy Waters' versions, NOT the versions on this list. And I mean parts of the lyrics, arrangements, drumpatterns, solos- the whole shebang. The versions listed here are really not that similar, but go check out Muddys' versions, especially Rollin' and Tumblin' and you'll see (hear) what I mean.

And to be perfectly honest: Muddys' versions of both songs are clearly superior.

True. Muddy's version of Someday Baby is called Trouble No More, and indeed does closely resemble Bob's itunes commercial.

PostPosted: Wed December 10th, 2008, 07:44 GMT 

Its not really a big deal to me. He has taken things from other songs throughout his career.

PostPosted: Wed December 10th, 2008, 09:54 GMT 

josemesa wrote:
P.Jekk wrote:

True. Muddy's version of Someday Baby is called Trouble No More, and indeed does closely resemble Bob's itunes commercial.

Yes, they are pretty close, but the arrangements of Rollin and Tumblin are virtually identical. Only difference is that Muddy did his in the 1950's and Bob did his in 2007.....

PostPosted: Wed December 10th, 2008, 11:02 GMT 

holy shitballs

PostPosted: Wed December 10th, 2008, 11:21 GMT 

The funny thing is that the best music (as opposed to lyrics) he has released during the last twenty years are those song that are more or less totally his own:

TOOM-Yes, there are lots and lots of stolen/borrowed lyrics, -snippets of old folksongs but the music is mostly original, including the blues songs.

Cross The Green Mountain-a towering later day masterpiece.

Mississippi and Highwater from L&T- the best songs on that album has no direct precedent as far as I know.

Lonesome Day Blues a very effective standard blues, but is not based on any single song as far as I can tell..

Nettie Moore-one of the most musically interesting songs in the late Dylan canon, again with some borrowed lyrics.

Someday Baby on TTS is so much better (and more original) than the Muddy Waters rip off on MT. Even the musicians called it the one on MT "the Muddy Waters version".

Working Man's Blues- the title is nod to Merle Haggard but musically it is a (typical) Dylan song

PostPosted: Wed December 10th, 2008, 15:59 GMT 

P.Jekk wrote:
TOOM-Yes, there are lots and lots of stolen/borrowed lyrics, -snippets of old folksongs but the music is mostly original, including the blues songs.

Check out "Strange Love" by Slim Harpo - blue-print for "'Til I Fell In Love With You." I believe "Dirt Road Blues" is a cousin to another song as well.

P.Jekk wrote:
Highwater from L&T- the best songs on that album has no direct precedent as far as I know.

"High Water Everywhere (pt.1 & 2)" by Charley Patton.

P.Jekk wrote:
Lonesome Day Blues a very effective standard blues, but is not based on any single song as far as I can tell..

I can't remember where I heard the guitar riff from this one... In a Son House song, I think. Can anyone confirm? I can't remember who laid out the ground-work for "Cry A While," either - some Mississippi Sheiks song isn't it?

-dELVIS-