Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Mon September 24th, 2018, 10:18 GMT

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri August 7th, 2009, 02:22 GMT 

Another classic tune. This is one of those that most of my non Dylan friends like. I can't help but sing along myself most times. So many great live renditions to choose from. A frequently played tune but always a welcome one to The MEZ! I'm singing write now as I write, its so catchy! What do you all think? special dates? posts? comments? MEZ

PostPosted: Fri August 7th, 2009, 03:04 GMT 

None of the live versions have ever come close to the album version. The live versions are all missing the essential ingredient of the album version, humor.

PostPosted: Fri August 7th, 2009, 03:06 GMT 

I think this is a really enjoyable track and I also like its presence in Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas.

PostPosted: Fri August 7th, 2009, 08:23 GMT 

One of my favourite songs, and a highlight in his live performances nowadays! I saw him perform it in Brussels this year, and he really got the crowd going on this one!

PostPosted: Fri August 7th, 2009, 09:35 GMT 

The Hard Rain version isn't bad at all, but like PSB says it doesn't touch the album version.

PostPosted: Fri August 7th, 2009, 13:00 GMT 
Promethium Member

Nine verses. In each verse a specific character is introduced, and then balanced off against something, either another character--most commonly left very vague (in all but verse 5 and 9)--or in verse 6, an object. So... we have the ragman... and the ladies; Shakespeare... and some French girl; Mona... and the railroad men; Grandpa... and everyone; the Senator... and his son; the preacher... and 20 lbs of headlines; the rainman... and the people; Ruthie... and the debutante; and in the final verse the neon madman is balanced against the singer himself.

Oh, and I almost forgot Mama, who is always there, and never answers the damn question. :lol:

PostPosted: Fri August 7th, 2009, 15:45 GMT 
Titanium Member

E harmonica, capo 4, two keyboards.

PostPosted: Fri August 7th, 2009, 15:52 GMT 
Mercury Member

Why didn't he just get on a bus?

PostPosted: Fri August 7th, 2009, 16:14 GMT 

I must admited i listen to the Hard Rain version more! I love the way he spits those lyrics out with that bite

8)

PostPosted: Fri August 7th, 2009, 16:27 GMT 

what can i say. i am weak for the epics. they are seemingly the songs i bother to reply to.
i love the fact that he plays it so often. many many luscious performances out there.
bournemouth 2006 for instance.

PostPosted: Fri August 7th, 2009, 19:24 GMT 

On my first mono vinyl purchase in '66 of Blonde on Blonde, this track was listed on both sleeve and record label as 'Memphis blues again'. A few months later I bought the stereo vinyl, and it was then shown as 'Stuck inside of Mobile with thee'. Later on, the cassette and all CD releases seem to show the long title we all get bored with writing on our CD contents lists. Anyone know the story behind all this?

PostPosted: Fri August 7th, 2009, 19:30 GMT 
Promethium Member

http://www.searchingforagem.com/1960s/1966Blonde.htm

R-0310 French mono mix (Sides 2 and 3 only): different mixes and edits - not listed separately (Sides 2 and 3 only)

This French release is unique in that it has a completely different centre with French sleeve notes and pictures of earlier CBS France Dylan releases. All the pictures in the US/UK gatefold centre are missing. It uses the US mix on Sides 1 and 4, but has unique mixes on Side 2 and 3. Roger Ford thinks these are later mixes than the US mix, while the Canadian mixes are earlier.

Stuck Inside Of Mobile With The Memphis Blues Again is here given as just "Memphis Blues Again" on the cover and record label.

PostPosted: Fri August 7th, 2009, 19:43 GMT 
Titanium Member

http://www.searchingforagem.com/1960s/blonde.htm

Scroll down this page and all will be revealed regarding 'Stuck Inside of Mobile With Thee ' on UK pressings, and 'Stuck Inside of Mobile With The on US versions :)

PostPosted: Fri August 7th, 2009, 21:42 GMT 
Titanium Member

I used to love this song, now I find it annoying, far too long and too random to hold my interest. Well played in the studio version.

PostPosted: Fri August 7th, 2009, 21:47 GMT 

my farovite song off Blonde on Blonde

PostPosted: Fri August 7th, 2009, 22:50 GMT 

Great sing a long song.. 9 out of 10 for mjeff. :D

PostPosted: Fri August 7th, 2009, 22:52 GMT 
Promethium Member

supermabel1 wrote:
http://www.searchingforagem.com/1960s/blonde.htm

Scroll down this page and all will be revealed regarding 'Stuck Inside of Mobile With Thee ' on UK pressings, and 'Stuck Inside of Mobile With The on US versions :)

WOW!!!

I have to ask, any gerunds? :shock:

PostPosted: Fri August 7th, 2009, 22:54 GMT 
Titanium Member

Gerunds, schmerunds, Mr Johnny! We're talking serious instances of the typesetter's art going awry here! :roll: :mrgreen:

(And, I might add, further demonstrations of the arcane skill of making US releases different from their UK counterparts, as seen earlier with Beatless' and Strolling Bones' product. :shock: )

Further, shootin' the messenger is severely frowned upon in these parts, pardner, yessiree!

PS: Any gerunds? Dunno, mate, you'll 'ave ter read the wotsit, innit.

PostPosted: Sat August 8th, 2009, 01:02 GMT 

Long Johnny wrote:
Nine verses. In each verse a specific character is introduced, and then balanced off against something, either another character--most commonly left very vague (in all but verse 5 and 9)--or in verse 6, an object. So... we have the ragman... and the ladies; Shakespeare... and some French girl; Mona... and the railroad men; Grandpa... and everyone; the Senator... and his son; the preacher... and 20 lbs of headlines; the rainman... and the people; Ruthie... and the debutante; and in the final verse the neon madman is balanced against the singer himself.

Oh, and I almost forgot Mama, who is always there, and never answers the damn question. :lol:

Ruthie and the deb are my favorites. Almost sums up 3/4 of the love triangles throughout world history into one magnificent verse. Everyone should have a Ruthie and a debutante. How much sweeter life would be!!!

PostPosted: Sat August 8th, 2009, 03:34 GMT 

whatsittoya wrote:
On my first mono vinyl purchase in '66 of Blonde on Blonde, this track was listed on both sleeve and record label as 'Memphis blues again'. A few months later I bought the stereo vinyl, and it was then shown as 'Stuck inside of Mobile with thee'. Later on, the cassette and all CD releases seem to show the long title we all get bored with writing on our CD contents lists. Anyone know the story behind all this?

While Alan Fraser's great site has all the various permutations, like you my first copy of Blonde on Blonde was vinyl and the song was called "Memphis Blues Again." It may have been called something different in my "Blonde On Blonde" songbook (the Dylan guitar style edition), but I stupidly lent it someone about three decades ago and never saw it again. However, I refuse to call it anything but "Memphis Blues Again" which remains the superior title. :)

I will also add the current group of musicians Dylan has with him has at time come the closest to maintaining the original feel of the song.

PostPosted: Sat August 8th, 2009, 04:10 GMT 

Concentrated Dylan. I knew I was in safe hands when I'm Not There opened with this song. Life through his eyes...
It's one of the cornerstones of Blonde on Blonde and the album take is perfection.
However, it was not a song I fully came to by the album.

I myself love Hard Rain and it is the one live album that has grown in esteem as the years have rolled on. It began my love affair with Bob as a live performer.
Bob Dylan strives for perfection and perfection requires balance. And Bob has many facets to juggle to feed his muse. Where Blood On The Tracks is deeply aware of it's emotional rawness, it's bittersweet vulnerability; Desire is grand theatre, broad tales of lust and justice.
And where 1975 is the Greatest Show On Earth, 1976 is pure, aggressive, and intense. 1976 is rock n roll at its core. It's Bob's first real punk year. The songs are stripped of affectation and it's just Bob, the songs, and a beat. Not all of it works, but Bob's exorcising demons here for sure, which is when I like Bob best. It reminds me of Lennon's Plastic Ono Band. Music as catharsis.
And, in 1976, Stuck Inside of Mobile is one of those cathartic songs. It sounds like he's singing it for dear life. He runs through the verses loudly and proudly, and the chorus is pure f'n rock n roll. It's faster than the album and moves like an adrenaline rush. And it has perhaps the best bass line of any Dylan song. No offense to Tony, but Rob Stoner is his best ever.
The Stuck Inside that I go back to:

Ft. Worth TX
May 3 1976

http://www.sendspace.com/file/huyzu4

PostPosted: Sat August 8th, 2009, 05:56 GMT 

Apologies above, it's New Orleans, not Ft. Worth as stated above. you'll notice if you DL.

PostPosted: Sat August 8th, 2009, 21:10 GMT 

Long Johnny wrote:
Shakespeare... and some French girl;

I always thought this line was Dylan vaguely self-referencing but it seems tenuous at best when trying to substantiate it, from "Bob Dylan's 115th Dream" :

"They threw me in the alley
When up comes this girl from France
Who invited me to her house
I went, but she had a friend
Who knocked me out
And robbed my boots
And I was on the street again"

Both songs have a few similarities in their surreal narrative and array of characters.

PostPosted: Sat August 8th, 2009, 23:24 GMT 

Great version on the Stuck inside NY 1988 boot.

PostPosted: Mon August 10th, 2009, 01:00 GMT 

Bennyboy wrote:
Why didn't he just get on a bus?

He was stuck and it could have been the end.