Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Tue September 25th, 2018, 10:45 GMT

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed August 8th, 2018, 08:49 GMT 

Howdy,

I was browsing a few threads regarding the upcoming BS installment and saw a Bob Dylan magazine called Isis brought up a lot. I looked it up and found the website and I'm certainly interested.

I'm just wondering how often the magazine is put out and whether or not it's worth the price of a subscription. Additionally, is there some insider and so-called scholarly information and insight?

PostPosted: Wed August 8th, 2018, 09:02 GMT 
Titanium Member

This thread might help!

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=88149&p=1685498&hilit=Isis#p1685498

PostPosted: Wed August 8th, 2018, 09:19 GMT 
Senior Moderator

Yes, the thread linked will help. Isis is a great magazine - always full of interesting stuff whether you're interested in the minutiae of Bob Dylan's trip to Europe in 1964 or reading about possible parallels between Triplicate and the Oresteia of Aeschylus (or both), just to mention two of the articles in the current issue (there's also a nice tribute to the sadly missed John Baldwin). It's coming up to its 200th issue, I hope it continues for many more.

PostPosted: Wed August 8th, 2018, 10:36 GMT 

Six issues per year. Best Dylan magazine on the market. In business since the 1980s.

PostPosted: Wed August 8th, 2018, 11:06 GMT 

In the internet age it is certainly possible to live without it, but I re-subscribed a while back and have not been disappointed.

PostPosted: Thu August 9th, 2018, 10:08 GMT 

Location: I've just reached a place where the willow don't bend...
Nightingale's Code wrote:

As the OP of the linked thread, I can assure that it's most certainly worth getting!

PostPosted: Fri August 10th, 2018, 12:36 GMT 

an extremely enjoyable and thought-provoking read.

I've been reading/subscribing to it since the 1980s!

N

PostPosted: Mon August 13th, 2018, 08:37 GMT 

Hibbing91 wrote:

As the OP of the linked thread, I can assure that it's most certainly worth getting!

But is it worth getting if you didn't really appreciate the old Telegraph articles? I bought both anthologies (All Across the Telegraph etc), but tbh, I only skimmed them. Random barely-related comix, random interviews with people who sort of knew him, letters to the editor... It was all a bit "club house" stuff, no real meat or inside stuff...

Is ISIS worth it to someone who regularly visits (and I mean daily) expectingrain?

PostPosted: Mon August 13th, 2018, 10:15 GMT 
Senior Moderator

We’re all Dylan fans and have a great interest in his work so having lots of different ways of engaging with it and (dare I say) enjoying it is surely a good thing!

Expecting Rain is a wonderful place because it hosts such a variety of topics and such diversity of opinion. What Isis offers is the chance for writers to convey information and develop ideas about aspects of Dylan’s work over a longer length and generally in more depth than is usually done here.

If you want up to the minute news on what Dylan is doing you’ve got the internet - this place and other sites all give you varying degrees of accuracy. It seems pretty pointless to me to feel you have to have “meat” and “inside stuff” instantly and all the time on somebody you’ll never know but who’s songs you like, that's just a matter of opinion though.

My feeling is we learn more about Dylan and ourselves, and by extension, about life, the universe and everything by finding out how other people think and behave towards his work rather than what they think about it. For example, whether some (possibly anonymous) stranger likes Street-Legal or not is neither here nor there, the information they provide us with and the way we can follow their argument towards its conclusion is what’s important. Thinking about what they have said helps us develop our own ideas and in doing so we learn and refine how we think and feel. By forming and trying to convey our opinions we become more appreciative of our own thought processes and emotions, more discerning about the work itself and more sympathetically aware of how we interact with the external world - whether we end up liking Street-Legal more or not.

PostPosted: Mon August 13th, 2018, 10:45 GMT 
Promethium Member

^ Great Post Charles ^

PostPosted: Mon August 13th, 2018, 16:05 GMT 

charlesdarwin wrote:
We’re all Dylan fans and have a great interest in his work so having lots of different ways of engaging with it and (dare I say) enjoying it is surely a good thing!

Expecting Rain is a wonderful place because it hosts such a variety of topics and such diversity of opinion. What Isis offers is the chance for writers to convey information and develop ideas about aspects of Dylan’s work over a longer length and generally in more depth than is usually done here.

If you want up to the minute news on what Dylan is doing you’ve got the internet - this place and other sites all give you varying degrees of accuracy. It seems pretty pointless to me to feel you have to have “meat” and “inside stuff” instantly and all the time on somebody you’ll never know but who’s songs you like, that's just a matter of opinion though.

My feeling is we learn more about Dylan and ourselves, and by extension, about life, the universe and everything by finding out how other people think and behave towards his work rather than what they think about it. For example, whether some (possibly anonymous) stranger likes Street-Legal or not is neither here nor there, the information they provide us with and the way we can follow their argument towards its conclusion is what’s important. Thinking about what they have said helps us develop our own ideas and in doing so we learn and refine how we think and feel. By forming and trying to convey our opinions we become more appreciative of our own thought processes and emotions, more discerning about the work itself and more sympathetically aware of how we interact with the external world - whether we end up liking Street-Legal more or not.

Hmmm.... I'm not saying I dont appreciate people chatting about things Bob might to or what kind of hats he likes to wear - that is, after all, often why I'm here - I'm just saying that The Telegraph articles left me cold. I was expecting grand speculations or carefully considered theories about I'm Cold or conspiracy ideas as such... Telegraph felt more like about Dylan fans than about Bob and his work...

Then again, I have no idea what most articles on Isis are like and I've never seen a contents list...

PostPosted: Tue August 14th, 2018, 08:22 GMT 
Promethium Member

I have only read it a few times and to for a long time, but the articles are outstanding.

PostPosted: Tue August 14th, 2018, 10:19 GMT 

How about buying the books All Across the Telegraph and Isis A Bob Dylan Anthology for 82 pence plus postage and seeing what you think of them. They're a bit dated but will give a good idea of the style.

PostPosted: Tue August 14th, 2018, 19:31 GMT 

Anr Bjotk wrote:
Hibbing91 wrote:

But is it worth getting if you didn't really appreciate the old Telegraph articles? I bought both anthologies (All Across the Telegraph etc), but tbh, I only skimmed them. Random barely-related comix, random interviews with people who sort of knew him, letters to the editor... It was all a bit "club house" stuff, no real meat or inside stuff...

Is ISIS worth it to someone who regularly visits (and I mean daily) expectingrain?

Definitely. There is stuff in the magazine that never makes it to the internet.

PostPosted: Mon September 3rd, 2018, 23:10 GMT 

My Echo, My Shadow And Me wrote:

Definitely. There is stuff in the magazine that never makes it to the internet.

And here's something good in ISIS magazine that did make it to the internet. A blast from the past.

** Dylan’s ‘Lost Concerts’ Of The 1960s **

Six years ago, ‘ISIS’ magazine published an article entitled “Dylan’s ‘lost concerts’ of the 1960s” written by Ian Woodward in his 'Tracking Dylan’ series. It explored those Dylan concerts in the 1960s that, for one reason or another, did not in the end take place.

The original ISIS article is currently on-line. First read what ISIS has to say about the original article and see how you can help with providing additional or new information for a planned follow-up article. Then press the "HERE" link on that page to read the original article.

https://www.bobdylanisis.com/2-dylans-l ... the-1960s/