Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Mon October 22nd, 2018, 18:24 GMT

All times are UTC

At what point does it become socially acceptable to begin playing 'Christmas in the Heart'?
Never. It is never acceptable to play CITH. 18%  18%  [ 21 ]
Perhaps once on Christmas Eve accompanied by a small glass of sherry before bed. 11%  11%  [ 12 ]
It deserves a few spins in the run up to Christmas, and of course, the day itself. 23%  23%  [ 26 ]
From December onwards. 23%  23%  [ 26 ]
In a few weeks time, then it'll be a holiday standard. 9%  9%  [ 10 ]
CITH? It's always playing, I LOVE CHRISTMAS. 17%  17%  [ 19 ]
Total votes : 114
PostPosted: Tue December 26th, 2017, 08:19 GMT 

I've given it a rest this year! I've got a load of CDs that I'm catching up on and Trouble No More (2CD) was much more listenable than I thought it wood be. To keep me in the Christmas mood my wife has been playing Christmas CDs by Elvis, Andy Williams, Tony Bennett and Frank Sinatra. I've hid Perry Como!

PostPosted: Tue December 26th, 2017, 14:52 GMT 

I've been playing it on Christmas Eve since it came out. I used to get moans and groans from the family, but this year they shut me down during the second song. I have a wife and two grown sons saying "turn that sht off". So much for tradition.

PostPosted: Tue December 26th, 2017, 14:57 GMT 

Winter Lude wrote:
I've been playing it on Christmas Eve since it came out. I used to get moans and groans from the family, but this year they shut me down during the second song. I have a wife and two grown sons saying "turn that sht off". So much for tradition.

Don't overlook your sons.
They apparently might have a talent for music.

PostPosted: Tue December 26th, 2017, 15:02 GMT 
Promethium Member

Winter Lude wrote:
I have a wife and two grown sons saying "turn that sht off".

Right there with them.

PostPosted: Tue December 26th, 2017, 23:37 GMT 

The question is now "When do you STOP playing it"

PostPosted: Wed December 27th, 2017, 00:45 GMT 

It's missing the option of when it's not Christmas.

I HATE Christmas.

I can listen to this CD rarely, and then only for a laugh as it's so bad (though it's still much better than Saved, Self-Portrait, or Empire Burlesque, which ain't saying anything).

PostPosted: Wed December 27th, 2017, 22:26 GMT 

Easter time, too.

PostPosted: Thu December 28th, 2017, 01:07 GMT 

I have never played, never purchased nor downloaded it.

This view will never change.

PostPosted: Thu December 28th, 2017, 02:51 GMT 
Promethium Member

motherwell wrote:
The question is now "When do you STOP playing it"

Why would anyone stop playing it?

PostPosted: Thu December 28th, 2017, 08:07 GMT 

dylanswife wrote:
I have never played, never purchased nor downloaded it.

This view will never change.

That's exactly my feelings on Triplicate! I wonder how many more copies of CITH he could have shifted if he had played Must Be Santa at the New York Beacon Shows?

PostPosted: Thu December 28th, 2017, 09:21 GMT 

You have to laugh at those who say theyve never purchased Triplicate. its ok to have the really bad Dylan records like Knocked out and loaded proudly sitting in their collection which is Bob at his worse.

Triplicate is a much better record than the naysayers make out, and yes of course I prefer Bob singing his own stuff.

PostPosted: Thu December 28th, 2017, 16:36 GMT 

Desolation Row wrote:
You have to laugh at those who say theyve never purchased Triplicate. its ok to have the really bad Dylan records like Knocked out and loaded proudly sitting in their collection which is Bob at his worse.

Triplicate is a much better record than the naysayers make out, and yes of course I prefer Bob singing his own stuff.

It's just a matter of personal choice. I bought the previous two releases and quite enjoyed them but enough is enough (30 more songs is just overkill), and to be honest I prefer listening to that type of music by the likes of Frank Sinatra, Tony Bennett and Ella Fitzgerald. I have to admit that I do have some 'really bad Dylan records' (your words) sitting in my collection including Knocked Out Loaded and Down In The Groove and Under The Red Sky but there's usually an original track that saves them.

PostPosted: Thu December 28th, 2017, 17:44 GMT 
Promethium Member

Desolation Row wrote:

You might be just seeking a reaction. Please laugh. It’s good for the soul.

Triplets is the only official Bob release unowned and intentionally boycotted away from this shelf. After being burned by the other 3 there was just no way I could comply. I would easily buy 3 Knocked Outs instead.

In other words, if trapped in a desert isle and given the choice between:

A. Xmas Through the Heart, Fallen Shadows & Triplets
or
B. Knocked Out Loaded

I’d hafta choose B.

PostPosted: Thu December 28th, 2017, 18:13 GMT 
Titanium Member

Like Christmas decorations, this thread, and all references to it, should be put away until next December.

PostPosted: Thu December 28th, 2017, 18:35 GMT 
Titanium Member

Desolation Row wrote:

Knocked Out Loaded has a vigorous, soul stirring quality to it, like a spray of cool ice water on a hot day. Triplicate is basically the total opposite, like a spray of sticky unflavored oatmeal on a hot day.

Last edited by Ain't Talkin' on Thu December 28th, 2017, 18:40 GMT, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu December 28th, 2017, 18:39 GMT 

Of course the other downer on the songbook stuff is that he still feels he has to perform 5 or 6 songs in his set-list. I wasn't over keen on the Gospel Era stuff but I'd love to see those songs included instead. If I knew that was going to happen I might have decided to take in a European show in 2018!. At least he doesn't perform stuff from CITH!

PostPosted: Thu December 28th, 2017, 18:44 GMT 

Still Go Barefoot wrote:

or
B. Knocked Out Loaded

I’d hafta choose B.

Anyday.
Anyday.

PostPosted: Thu December 28th, 2017, 20:45 GMT 

Still Go Barefoot wrote:
Desolation Row wrote:

You might be just seeking a reaction. Please laugh. It’s good for the soul.

Triplets is the only official Bob release unowned and intentionally boycotted away from this shelf. After being burned by the other 3 there was just no way I could comply. I would easily buy 3 Knocked Outs instead.

or
B. Knocked Out Loaded

I’d hafta choose B.

Stranded out far west on a desert island with option 'A' ... well... Before CITH even had a remote chance to replay itself on my desert island disc player, I would have not only gone mad and be suffering from Island Fever with a severe case of grandiose delusions...but I would have ordered my friends the ants to eat [chop] down a Koa tree.. Then I'd tell their buddies, the termites to strip and clean that Koa tree.. leaving behind a duggout canoe for me to sail off in.

Option 'B' is much more plausible and enjoyable. If I were stranded on a deserted desert island with original works by a master lyracist, Nobel laureate, painter, sculptor and famous movie actor, well the first thing Id do is put the following two songs on repeat and disregard the rest.

[They Killed Him]
https://youtu.be/DtmYxoB_gEg

[Brownsville Girl--Live]
https://youtu.be/ZbKlABsChiA

[Brownsville/Dansville Girl]
https://youtu.be/V4LftqJUz2M

So Wikipedia has an asterisk beside 'They Killed Him'

Supposedly, they say Kris Kristofferson wrote it :roll:

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Fri December 29th, 2017, 00:35 GMT 

dylanswife wrote:

Supposedly, they say Kris Kristofferson wrote it :roll:

Whatcha mean??? He did, unless he's lying when he tells the audience 'that's what really moved me when bob dylan did that' at the shows. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFkwwHn443I. He said that Bob recorded it with a children's choir?
P/s Isn't his finger-picking great too? I learn from the best

PostPosted: Fri December 29th, 2017, 00:44 GMT 

The chances are most Dylan fans now defending knocked out and loaded hated it when it first came out and have since changed their minds on their reaction or warmed a bit to it over the years.

So no I wasnt having a laugh, people hated Christmas in the heart when it came out too, and Triplicates a way easier listen imo, his vocals are much more engaged and believable on it.

PostPosted: Fri December 29th, 2017, 01:18 GMT 
Promethium Member

Option B. No contest.

PostPosted: Fri January 5th, 2018, 01:34 GMT 

I am shocked to see what song is #4 on the Top Bob Songs played in Spotify... :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

https://imgur.com/a/pfFIn

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.