Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Fri August 17th, 2018, 07:28 GMT

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu February 15th, 2018, 20:50 GMT 

What audio source was used for the 2017 vinyl reissue of BS Vol 1-3 - was it an analog job, were high-res 96/24 digital files used? I have scoured the Internet looking for an indication and turned nothing up. The vinyl was pressed at MPO in France, I sent an email but have not heard back.

What has made this a difficult question to answer is the fact that no new mastering credit was given in the 2017 reissue booklet. In fact, the only information that has been added to the reissue booklet is a small section thanking some folks who took part in the 2017 reissue. A quick Google search told me none of the folks mentioned are mastering engineers... So who did the mastering for this release? I figure if we know that, we could reach out and ask about the source. The line on the last page of the 2017 booklet "Digital Mastering By Mark Wilder" also appeared in the booklet bundled with the 1991 vinyl, which - from what I've been reading - was an analog job. The going theory seems to be that the 1991 vinyl release did not receive a dedicated printing of the booklet (i.e. "Digital Mastering" line does not apply). The 2017 reissue also includes this line, giving me the impression that the folks who designed the 2017 booklet only - perhaps for technical reasons - did not modify but only added to the existing content in the booklet.

So all in all: Nobody thanked in the 2017 reissue section of the new booklet appears to be involved in Mastering. So, again, who did the Mastering for this release? Based on what I've read from folks owning both (2017 and 1991) vinyl versions of this album, the 2017 reissue is a different vinyl mastering. Could it be that the 2017 reissue did use analog plates from 1991 but a different set of plates (a different master)? In other words, could the 2017 reissue be an analog job also? If any subsequent (post-1991) effort was made to produce a new vinyl mastering, no credit has been given thus far...

I greatly appreciate any help you can offer with this. Thank you all!

P.S. The 2017 vinyl reissue sounds gorgeous.

PostPosted: Thu February 15th, 2018, 21:04 GMT 
Titanium Member

I wouldn't be so sure at all that the 1991 vinyl was all analog. If the original Dylan analog tapes for BS 1-3 were mixed and then compiled to digital tape, primarily for widespread CD release, I'd be surprised that Sony would go to the expense in 1991 of making a separate analog master for a limited number of vinyl sets.

I don't the answer for the rest of your question. It's to be rightly assumed that most new vinyl released today is sourced from digital of some kind or another.

PostPosted: Thu February 15th, 2018, 21:22 GMT 

Ain'tTalkin': Thank you for the information. You raise a good point.

PostPosted: Sun February 18th, 2018, 15:00 GMT 

Goin'ToHaveSomeFun wrote:
What audio source was used for the 2017 vinyl reissue of BS Vol 1-3 - was it an analog job, were high-res 96/24 digital files used? I have scoured the Internet looking for an indication and turned nothing up. The vinyl was pressed at MPO in France, I sent an email but have not heard back.

What has made this a difficult question to answer is the fact that no new mastering credit was given in the 2017 reissue booklet. In fact, the only information that has been added to the reissue booklet is a small section thanking some folks who took part in the 2017 reissue. A quick Google search told me none of the folks mentioned are mastering engineers... So who did the mastering for this release? I figure if we know that, we could reach out and ask about the source. The line on the last page of the 2017 booklet "Digital Mastering By Mark Wilder" also appeared in the booklet bundled with the 1991 vinyl, which - from what I've been reading - was an analog job. The going theory seems to be that the 1991 vinyl release did not receive a dedicated printing of the booklet (i.e. "Digital Mastering" line does not apply). The 2017 reissue also includes this line, giving me the impression that the folks who designed the 2017 booklet only - perhaps for technical reasons - did not modify but only added to the existing content in the booklet.

So all in all: Nobody thanked in the 2017 reissue section of the new booklet appears to be involved in Mastering. So, again, who did the Mastering for this release? Based on what I've read from folks owning both (2017 and 1991) vinyl versions of this album, the 2017 reissue is a different vinyl mastering. Could it be that the 2017 reissue did use analog plates from 1991 but a different set of plates (a different master)? In other words, could the 2017 reissue be an analog job also? If any subsequent (post-1991) effort was made to produce a new vinyl mastering, no credit has been given thus far...

I greatly appreciate any help you can offer with this. Thank you all!

P.S. The 2017 vinyl reissue sounds gorgeous.

Agreed that the 2017 set is the better sounding of the two. It clearly is a different mastering job.