Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Wed November 14th, 2018, 13:05 GMT

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue January 19th, 2016, 16:56 GMT 
Titanium Member

http://www.examiner.com/article/bob-dyl ... am-devogue

The article above is fairly written to pretty poor, but there it is. I don't know if this too gossipy for here, but it's on the front page of ER so I think it's okay to talk about it. People are saying the pictures speak for themselves, but anybody could look like anybody. Barring a DNA test it all seems to be hearsay. Things were different then, and stuff like this still happens today, so it's not implausible.

I always think of that scene in Austin Powers where he wakes up in 1997:

Austin Powers: Only sailors use condoms, baby.
Vanessa Kensington: Not in the nineties, Austin.
Austin Powers: Well they should, those filthy beggars, they go from port to port.

Funnily enough, I knew a sailor who this happened to. He had a motto in the 60's, "spray and pray."

PostPosted: Tue January 19th, 2016, 21:26 GMT 

Not implausible, but there are a lot freaks in the world. He may have just decided to make this his life's mission after realizing there was some resemblance. For all we know, his mom's supposed recollections are a pack of lies. If there was some sort of proof she knew Dylan, or was even around Greenwich Village at the time described, he would have a little more credulity.

His whole argument is that since he hasn't been sued, Dylan must be his dad. It's also possible that Dylan and co. just don't care.

PostPosted: Tue January 19th, 2016, 21:32 GMT 
Promethium Member

This story pops up every couple of years...
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=70742&hilit=devogue

PostPosted: Tue January 19th, 2016, 21:37 GMT 

By the way, here's video I came across when this story surfaced in the past:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PgOmCa3SBcM

I had forgotten it, but my reaction to it now is the same as before. It just leaves a bad taste in my mouth. While it may sound harsh, DeVogue comes across to me as just another weird hanger-on, trying to make a name for himself through association with Dylan. He reminds me more of A.J. Weberman than of Bob.

PostPosted: Tue January 19th, 2016, 21:38 GMT 
Titanium Member

Johanna Parker wrote:
This story pops up every couple of years...
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=70742&hilit=devogue

I actually remember that, thought it was a different guy. I agree that it's not implausible. I wouldn't take the mother's word as the end all statement. We may never know.

PostPosted: Tue January 19th, 2016, 22:33 GMT 

If his mother really was hanging out in the same circles, and he looks THAT much like Bob, it's possible. I'd feel really bad for him if he was just a man wanting to know his father, but getting no reception from the Dylan camp, but this whole business with the movie seems off.

PostPosted: Tue January 19th, 2016, 22:43 GMT 
Mercury Member

^ This about sums up how I feel about it. It's certainly not the best way to form a relationship with someone you believe is your father.

PostPosted: Tue January 19th, 2016, 22:48 GMT 
Titanium Member

raging_glory wrote:
^ This about sums up how I feel about it. It's certainly not the best way to form a relationship with someone you believe is your father.

It would make an amusing episode of an 80's sitcom...montage and everything.

PostPosted: Wed January 20th, 2016, 02:47 GMT 

I noticed this about the Examiner story linked in the OP.

At the end of one question, DeVogue says this:

Quote:
The reason for them not pursuing me in a legal forum is that they know something as well, and don't want this in a court room. The cost of pursuing Dylan in court was and still isn't feasible. He has a team of lawyers that would drag it out for ever. I told Rosen that I was going to do this film and still they won't touch me.

DeVogue's answer to the very next question is this:

Quote:
The reason for them not pursuing me in a legal forum is that they know something as well, and don't want this in a court room. The cost of pursuing Dylan in court was and still isn't feasible. He has a team of lawyers that would drag it out for ever. I told Rosen that I was going to do this film and still they won't touch me.

These are the same answers to the word. This looks like a major editing error. Either that or DeVogue has an uncanny ability to repeat himself exactly.

One more thing: DeVogue mentions a Dylan biography written by a Dennis MacDougal and says MacDougal references him (DeVogue) in that book. Has anyone read MacDougal's Dylan biography and if so, is the book credible?

PostPosted: Wed January 20th, 2016, 03:31 GMT 
Titanium Member

The pictures don't look anything like Bob to me. Probably just an attention grab.

PostPosted: Wed January 20th, 2016, 17:19 GMT 

kuddukan wrote:
The pictures don't look anything like Bob to me. Probably just an attention grab.

Agree - can't see much of resemblance to Dylan - but he looks a bit like a friend and colleague of mine !

I'd like to think that Dylan , faced with these claims, would facilitate a resolution of this rather than avoid it..... I'd like him the be that kind of ' kind person'. Maybe , though, he gets hassled a lot by all kinds of claims that never receive publicity.

PostPosted: Wed January 20th, 2016, 18:17 GMT 
Mercury Member

cohenadmirer wrote:
kuddukan wrote:

Agree - can't see much of resemblance to Dylan - but he looks a bit like a friend and colleague of mine !

I'd like to think that Dylan , faced with these claims, would facilitate a resolution of this rather than avoid it..... I'd like him the be that kind of ' kind person'. Maybe , though, he gets hassled a lot by all kinds of claims that never receive publicity.

Bob Dylan is the man who is know to give a reporter a "50 miles away stare off to no where" when they ask a question he does want to answer.... He has been at this famous thing a long time, I am sure that he might have arrived at the point where it is best to just ignore stuff like this..... If he tried to really acknowledge every time this sort of thing came up he wouldn't get anything else done.

Besides.... that guy's nose ain't even close!!!! :roll:

PostPosted: Wed January 20th, 2016, 21:10 GMT 

while there is definitely a resemblance, well, who knows, and who really wants to know. dylan surely did a lot of screwing around back then, so i'd not be surprised if there'd be many more of his kids around.

PostPosted: Mon February 19th, 2018, 16:31 GMT 

This short film I've found on youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PgOmCa3SBcM

There's a picture of young Bob with Suze Rotolo, the van Roncks and a young woman on the very left, who is, according to the site I found it, is Tina DeVogue.

We don't know the truth, it's all speculation. But what the man, William DeVogue, claims, is not too far fetched and not without any grounding. It seems to be sure, that William DeVogue is the son of Tina DeVogue. It also seems to be sure, that there was a connection between Bob and Tina DeVogue for the concerned time.

If it's true what DeVogue told, Jeff Rosen replied that Dylan has "no recollection". "Having no recollection" in my opinion does not mean, that one can exclude something, it's rather a very poor statement for a very serious case and the importance for a man to find his father.

It's mentionable that DeVogue seems to be supported by Duke Robillard.

All in all it's a very sad story in my opinion. We don't know if there is something to it. But if it's true, the way Bob's acting is very condemnable. I hardly can imagine a more egoistic attitude than a vastly rich 76 year old man refusing his own son, his own flesh and blood who wants nothing but knowing who his father is. That sounds like a perfect story for the young Dylan to write a song about it, a protest song about social injustice between the rich and the poor, a song like "The Lonesome Detah Of Hattie Carroll".

On the other hand I've read of a woman who also proclaimed to be Dylan's daughter. De Vogue and she have done a DNA-comparison - the result was, that there's no relatedness between them.

We don't know the truth, but maybe there's a fade taste to this story.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Mon February 19th, 2018, 17:27 GMT 
Titanium Member

https://goo.gl/images/7Kbchr

I hear Dave Bromberg will soon come out as Bob’s secret twin brother

I say it’s about time

PostPosted: Mon February 19th, 2018, 17:47 GMT 
Titanium Member

Dammit, Bob - Whadda we do, Tina says William is yours, not mine

https://goo.gl/images/4YNfFa

PostPosted: Tue February 20th, 2018, 02:49 GMT 
Promethium Member

Guthrie wrote:

All in all it's a very sad story in my opinion. We don't know if there is something to it. But if it's true, the way Bob's acting is very condemnable. I hardly can imagine a more egoistic attitude than a vastly rich 76 year old man refusing his own son, his own flesh and blood who wants nothing but knowing who his father is. That sounds like a perfect story for the young Dylan to write a song about it, a protest song about social injustice between the rich and the poor, a song like "The Lonesome Detah Of Hattie Carroll".

Was there some proof offered in that video? A famous person resistant to shelling out his $$$ to everybody with a story to tell compares to societal acceptance of murder based on the social standing of the victim? Really???

Seems to me Ol' Bob has been harassed by people claiming to know him, or be his long-lost brother, or his lovechild, or his grandmother in disguise, for his entire adult life. I can easily imagine anyone developing a crusty, even Dylan-like disposition. Modern sensitivities aside, given what we know about those rock-star lifestyles I'm surprised they don't have a simple online form for these matters. Fill it out, mail in the DNA, sign your non-disclosure agreement and be on your way. Would save a lot of time and trouble. When these cases have merit stars seem to prefer settling them well out of sight, that's for sure. That doesn't mean this one has no merit, but it does make me wonder. And in any case until I walk a mile in his shoes I'm not going to judge Dylan's reaction to this, especially since we don't really know what is was in the first place.

PostPosted: Tue February 20th, 2018, 11:03 GMT 
Promethium Member

smoke wrote:
...I'm surprised they don't have a simple online form for these matters. Fill it out, mail in the DNA, sign your non-disclosure agreement and be on your way...

Hilarious!

PostPosted: Wed February 21st, 2018, 17:49 GMT 

effort wrote:
Seems to me Ol' Bob has been harassed by people claiming to know him, or be his long-lost brother, or his lovechild, or his grandmother in disguise, for his entire adult life. I can easily imagine anyone developing a crusty, even Dylan-like disposition. Modern sensitivities aside, given what we know about those rock-star lifestyles I'm surprised they don't have a simple online form for these matters. Fill it out, mail in the DNA, sign your non-disclosure agreement and be on your way. Would save a lot of time and trouble. When these cases have merit stars seem to prefer settling them well out of sight, that's for sure. That doesn't mean this one has no merit, but it does make me wonder. And in any case until I walk a mile in his shoes I'm not going to judge Dylan's reaction to this, especially since we don't really know what is was in the first place.

I didn't judge Dylan's reaction or even Dylan. I did judge Dylan's reaction set if what Mr. DeVogue tells, that there's a high probability for Dylan to be his father, was true.

What maybe really speaks against Mr. DeVogue's version is the fact that this matter didn't reach the court yet. Sure, DeVogue says he hasn't enough money to bring an official action against Bob and Bob's people. But this story is in public since 2012, so for 6 years. It's hard to believe that there was no way to enforce a DNA-test if there were really hard facts about this story. Could this impossibility of bringing this to court for a "normal" man be explained with Bob being very rich, famous, significant and having top lawyers? The fact, that Dylan is a very famous and significant person, not only does mean that he has top lawyers, but also could mean that there are top lawyers, who would strive for a lawsuit against Dylan to improve their reputation, if there were good prospects for success. So wouldn’t this case long have been before court, if there were really hard facts about it? I think it wasn't a too big problem for that Croatian-group to bring an action against Bob after his Croatian/ Serbian - statement.

On the other hand there also seem to be no actions of Bob's people against DeVogue bringing these allegations to public.

PostPosted: Wed February 21st, 2018, 18:14 GMT 
Titanium Member

^ I didn’t write that! :shock:

PostPosted: Wed February 21st, 2018, 18:31 GMT 

Ok, sorry, I don't know why your name did appear at this place instead of smoke.

PostPosted: Wed February 21st, 2018, 18:54 GMT 
Titanium Member

No worries

PostPosted: Thu February 22nd, 2018, 16:25 GMT 

smoke wrote:
Was there some proof offered in that video? A famous person resistant to shelling out his $$$ to everybody with a story to tell compares to societal acceptance of murder based on the social standing of the victim? Really??? .

By the way - I really can't follow what this story had to do with $$$. Seems what DeVogue wanted is Bob doing a DNA-test. So if this test was negative, what argument should DeVogue have on his side to get Dylan's $$$?

And in case what DeVogue says is true (what I doubt, but don't exclude), had this story nothing to do with the social standings of the participants? Wasn't it an deep injustice that only could be crossed over or masked by one participants social/ financial standing is miles above the other ones? So in case what DeVogue says is true, I really see parallels between the William Zanzinger/ Hattie Carroll - story and the William DeVogue/ Bob Dylan - story. And in this case I would compare DeVogue's film to the songs of the young Dylan about deep social injustice, maybe The Times They Are A-Changin-songs, which were released the year DeVogue was born - so this would the very ironic element of this story.

But I really hope that this story is not true, because I'm a Bob Dylan-fan, and I really had troubles see myself as a Bob Dylan-fan, if it was true in every detail.

PostPosted: Thu February 22nd, 2018, 17:31 GMT 

Guthrie wrote:
smoke wrote:
Was there some proof offered in that video? A famous person resistant to shelling out his $$$ to everybody with a story to tell compares to societal acceptance of murder based on the social standing of the victim? Really??? .

By the way - I really can't follow what this story had to do with $$$. Seems what DeVogue wanted is Bob doing a DNA-test. So if this test was negative, what argument should DeVogue have on his side to get Dylan's $$$?

And in case what DeVogue says is true (what I doubt, but don't exclude), had this story nothing to do with the social standings of the participants? Wasn't it an deep injustice that only could be crossed over or masked by one participants social/ financial standing is miles above the other ones? So in case what DeVogue says is true, I really see parallels between the William Zanzinger/ Hattie Carroll - story and the William DeVogue/ Bob Dylan - story. And in this case I would compare DeVogue's film to the songs of the young Dylan about deep social injustice, maybe The Times They Are A-Changin-songs, which were released the year DeVogue was born - so this would the very ironic element of this story.

But I really hope that this story is not true, because I'm a Bob Dylan-fan, and I really had troubles see myself as a Bob Dylan-fan, if it was true in every detail.

Calm down. I'm sure he isn't the first one who tells such a story concerning Bob or other rich stars. But of course this fact doesn't make his story false.
I understand that this man wants to know more about his origins (and I understand, that he wouldn't be unhappy, if it should be true, that Bob is his father - especially because this would have some pleasant and welcome financial consequences for him).
But that's all! Your comparisons are out of all proportion to W,DeVogues story, even if I understand him. And without any doubt it's not fair to father a child without taking the consequences (supposed the story is true).
To tell the truth: I don't really accept that children get all the money their parents accumulated during their lifetimes. They did nothing for it. (But perhaps I would write something else here, if I would think that some really wealthy man was my father and that there may be a heritance waiting for me in the future)

PostPosted: Sun February 25th, 2018, 16:24 GMT 

I met this guy. The video on line is different than his 10 minute movie. He doesn’t seem sleazy and he looks more like his mom from the nose down. I hope he finds who his dad is.