Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Wed December 12th, 2018, 10:31 GMT

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat September 22nd, 2018, 22:54 GMT 

Here it is, the new ranking of Bob Dylan songs and albums.

part 1 (1959-1965): https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1VZXYkkoLNqmb37MJzU7dGTNrNyO8G6uzy4mBXU4Ha0g/edit?usp=sharing
part 2 (1966-1976): https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1_VVJCJNrx-i92g_qIm6MG-mU3STXF0cnlkr100hFxKA/edit?usp=sharing
part 3 (1978-1988): https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1pszZ2HKbjLKWisQlcHO4sspCL918raGyBnlvpS77T30/edit?usp=sharing
part 4 (1989-2018): https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1R1cABCGiZZlef1EjBh04LMuxk3OR7V7U4CXI_adof3I/edit?usp=sharing

The forms will be open until the end of the year and then the results will be posted part by part.

We will rank every song and album saying how we feel about it:
0- I hate it / It bores me
1- I can somewhat enjoy it, but it's poor
2- It's OK
3- It's fine
4- It's very good
5- It's a masterpiece

The albums ranked will be all official studio and live albums, but not The Bootleg Series (except the live albums in it) as I feel they are not properly albums to rank as a whole. I felt it's more interesting to have its songs ranked as outtakes of the album sessions in which they were recorded. This way we will be able to see which songs we would have liked to be included on the original album.

It's a thing for fun. Please don't get angered if You don't agree with the results. It will be the average opinion of the voters and this can be different from yours... and mine.

You don't need to vote everything. You can vote for any particular albums or songs if You don't know some albums. But I would ask You that, if You vote for an album, You vote for the whole album. Otherwise we would have many more votes for the most known songs and that could make the overalls unfair. So, I wouldn't count those votes for the album overall.

Ah! And More blood More Tracks is already included.

Hope You enjoy it!

PostPosted: Sun September 23rd, 2018, 11:14 GMT 

It was a lot of work going through every song, but now it is done (with the exception of The Bootleg Series Vol 14)! I really enjoyed revisiting all the gems once again. I am really looking forward to the results! All the best!

PostPosted: Sun September 23rd, 2018, 21:02 GMT 

lundell wrote:
It was a lot of work going through every song, but now it is done (with the exception of The Bootleg Series Vol 14)! I really enjoyed revisiting all the gems once again. I am really looking forward to the results! All the best!

You're fast!

The results will not be soon, as I think it has to be open for a long while to have many votes. And then, I don't know how much time I'll need to recruit the results and get it presentable. Depends on the needs of my job in that moment.

PostPosted: Mon September 24th, 2018, 09:10 GMT 

No hurry! Let everything take it´s due course.

PostPosted: Mon September 24th, 2018, 21:34 GMT 

We already have a lot of votes.

I've been taking a look at some results and I'm seeing a problem: some people are voting for their favourite songs only, so it can make huge differences between the most popular songs and others.

The other time we did this I asked people to answer to full albums. This is not mandatory this time, as outtakes are all together and some people may have heard some and not others. But please, if You answer, have some accuracy and fill the songs You like best, the songs You don't and those in the middle.

PostPosted: Tue September 25th, 2018, 21:39 GMT 
Titanium Member

Got mine all filled out! Other than BS14 of course.

The only notable exception I missed was the fantastic Times outtake "Farewell" that was included on the Inside Llewyn Davis soundtrack in 2013.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-I1y8RpmXw

I know it was included as part of the Witmark demos, but to my ears, the outtake from The Times They Are A-Changin' sessions is far superior not just in terms of recording quality, but the performance is so much more energetic and lively.

The rain, she's a-turnin' into hail

PostPosted: Tue September 25th, 2018, 22:16 GMT 

Nightingale's Code wrote:
Got mine all filled out! Other than BS14 of course.

The only notable exception I missed was the fantastic Times outtake "Farewell" that was included on the Inside Llewyn Davis soundtrack in 2013.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-I1y8RpmXw

I know it was included as part of the Witmark demos, but to my ears, the outtake from The Times They Are A-Changin' sessions is far superior not just in terms of recording quality, but the performance is so much more energetic and lively.

The rain, she's a-turnin' into hail

Didn't know this one. I liked it.

I can add it (it matches the criteria), but people who already voted should go back to the form and vote it. Thank You!

By the way, I think the songs with, for instance, less than 20 votes should be counted out for the song ranking. If so few people know it we can't say if it's among the best or worst. What do You think of it?

PostPosted: Wed September 26th, 2018, 20:19 GMT 
Titanium Member

^Thanks for adding it! Didn't want it to be forgotten, it's such a great track!

GuillemTM wrote:
By the way, I think the songs with, for instance, less than 20 votes should be counted out for the song ranking. If so few people know it we can't say if it's among the best or worst. What do You think of it?

I agree, small sample size wouldn't be very representative of ER as a whole. I know I skipped much of Cutting Edge in the voting as the takes are just too similar for me to rank them (except for the outliers that are clearly a different approach). I suspect others did the same.

PostPosted: Wed September 26th, 2018, 20:52 GMT 

I know I skipped much of Cutting Edge in the voting as the takes are just too similar for me to rank them (except for the outliers that are clearly a different approach). I suspect others did the same.

I tend to give them an "It's OK" or similar halfways ratings in such cases.

By the way, at the moment there have been the following number of votes in the forms: 35, 20, 19 and 24. I guess the 35 that voted the firts will end voting the 4 of them. I expect, seeing the votes we had last time to have about 60 voters or so.

PostPosted: Thu September 27th, 2018, 21:08 GMT 

To keep discussion alive, threeo questions:

1) Which do You think the album ranking order will be?
2) Which do You think would be the best ranked song of each album?
3) Which outtakes will be best ranked in comparison to "its album"?

PostPosted: Sat September 29th, 2018, 13:55 GMT 

0- I hate it / It bores me
1- I can somewhat enjoy it, but it's poor
2- It's OK
3- It's fine
4- It's very good
5- It's a masterpiece

The above is an excellent 1-5 way of ranking songs. I also categorize songs which is a bit different. I didn't want to start a new thread on it or anything but this is kind of what I mean:

Masterpieces: Desolation Row, It's Alright Ma

Classics: Blowing in the Wind, Like a Rolling Stone.

Fun Songs: Band of the Hand, Silvio

Funny Songs: Bear Mt. Picnic, I Shall Be Free #10

Of course categories such as the first 2 can overlap.

PostPosted: Tue October 9th, 2018, 20:55 GMT 

GuillemTM wrote:
To keep discussion alive, threeo questions:

1) Which do You think the album ranking order will be?
2) Which do You think would be the best ranked song of each album?
3) Which outtakes will be best ranked in comparison to "its album"?

Wow! I see people were waiting for this question! :lol:

PostPosted: Wed October 10th, 2018, 13:41 GMT 

I would have liked to fill in on this ranking, but when I try, it seems that I have to log into google. I hate google more than any Dylan song I have heard (even the Sinatra songs - haha!) so I will not give my votes. Beware of those companies - they're all just after your money!

PostPosted: Wed October 10th, 2018, 16:15 GMT 

"Can't Wait" to be able to do this, but I agree I ain't logging into google for it.

PostPosted: Wed October 10th, 2018, 16:16 GMT 

sunset wrote:
I would have liked to fill in on this ranking, but when I try, it seems that I have to log into google. I hate google more than any Dylan song I have heard (even the Sinatra songs - haha!) so I will not give my votes. Beware of those companies - they're all just after your money!

Well... Doing it by ourselves and not using any tool would be too hard I guess. I use Google personally and professionally and I'm really happy with it. I know it's not absolutely free, but it 's worth the price for me by now.

Anyway, You shouldn't need a Google account. Only a valid email.

PostPosted: Wed October 10th, 2018, 22:49 GMT 

Now I see there's a problem with it.

If someone would like to answer it and doesn't have a Google account and don't want to get one, please send me a pm and we will find an emergency solution for it so that You can vote.

It will only be interesting with a high participation.

PostPosted: Wed October 10th, 2018, 23:19 GMT 
Titanium Member

If only there was a way to have multiple polls in the same thread here on ER, then we could just do each album as its own poll/post in the same linear thread.

PostPosted: Thu October 11th, 2018, 09:04 GMT 

If only there was a way to have multiple polls in the same thread here on ER, then we could just do each album as its own poll/post in the same linear thread.

That would only show us the ranking of songs in an album, but we wouldn't be able to compare among songs from different albums, outtakes, album averages, etc.

PostPosted: Thu October 11th, 2018, 22:27 GMT 

sunset wrote:

Problem solved. Everyone can vote and edit his vote with a valid email.

I hope more people votes. We're getting near the number of votes of 2014 but would be great to have many of them and get more significant results.

PostPosted: Thu October 18th, 2018, 21:58 GMT 

Well... there seems to be another technical problem, that is: the arrangements I made so that those who hadn't a Google account could vote make that no one can edit their previous votes and if they connect have to start voting all over again.

So: I will let it open until the release of More Blood More Tracks. Then I 'll close it so that all the previous voters can vote for this BS14. Then we could open it again to let new people vote, if there's still someone wanting to vote.

PostPosted: Sat November 3rd, 2018, 00:48 GMT 

I just opened the forms again so that You all can introduce your opinion about More Blood, More Tracks. If more people without Google account want to vote before we close the forms, I'll give them some time for it.

We have 54 answers in the form 1, and over 30 in the others. Hoping to get to 50-60 in all of them.

PostPosted: Mon November 5th, 2018, 07:52 GMT 

Gives me a logon page.

Tim

PostPosted: Mon November 5th, 2018, 17:57 GMT 

onlyconnect wrote:
Gives me a logon page.

Tim

It was talked before: it seems that a Google account is needed to fill a form and then be able to go back to it.

It meant there was a problem, because people without a Google account (and that don't want to get one) couldn't vote, so I changed options so that they could vote, but then people who already voted couldn't change his votes or add any vote, and that meant that people who had been voting couldn't vote for More Blood More Tracks.

Then I said I would let it open until More Blood, More Tracks was released, and then I would "close it" again, so that people with Google accounts can get back to their votings and introduce their opinion on the new Bootleg Series.

The problem now is that people without a Google account can't vote. I will open again some days before finally closing the voting, but I think we should let some time now for voting for More Blood, More Tracks.

So, I guess You have 2 options:
- Get a Google Account to be able to vote normally.
- Wait until I open it again, probably about Christmas, before closing it finally at the beginning of 2019.

I'm sorry there isn't a solution good for all and I hope everyone who wants is able to vote.

PostPosted: Wed November 7th, 2018, 18:20 GMT 

I recently ran into a live version of The Groom's Still Waiting at the Altar that is different than the one on Trouble No More. It's off of a Michael Bloomfield Album called From His Head to His Heart to His Hands. It'd be cool to add that one. You can give it a listen on spotify!

PostPosted: Wed November 7th, 2018, 21:42 GMT 

RedLightMind wrote:
I recently ran into a live version of The Groom's Still Waiting at the Altar that is different than the one on Trouble No More. It's off of a Michael Bloomfield Album called From His Head to His Heart to His Hands. It'd be cool to add that one. You can give it a listen on spotify!

Thank You. I guess it's too late to add it as many have already voted and it would also make trouble on the answer sheets I've been already preparing. But well... if many want me to do it I could try...