Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Tue December 11th, 2018, 21:16 GMT

All times are UTC

Post subject: Arise Daniel Lanois?
PostPosted: Sun April 17th, 2005, 10:03 GMT 

Does Daniel Lanois bring out the best that Bob's had to offer since the 70's or was it coincidence & the material so strong that anybody could have produced it?!.............

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun April 17th, 2005, 11:24 GMT 

I didn't realize Daniel Lanois produced 'Love and Theft'. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun April 17th, 2005, 12:14 GMT 

it doesn't say anywhere on the album of love and theft.....but he did alot for the polished sound of time out of mind.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun April 17th, 2005, 14:03 GMT 

I know Lanois didn't produce Love And Theft but Oh Mercy and Time Out Of Mind came out of the blue after poor runs. where as Love And Theft came along when he was still on top form. Big coincidence that's all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun April 17th, 2005, 20:49 GMT 

Lanois was good for Time out of Mind.But only once every ten or twelve yeasr

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue April 19th, 2005, 00:17 GMT 

I believe Lanois did both "Oh Mercy" and "Time out of Mind". Loved them both. Bob has spoken of some difficulties he had with Lanois' deep music theory. I love the Lanois sound and missed him on "Love and Theft". Just an aside, proof of the confusion Bob was going thru in the 80's - subverting Mark Knopfler on the final "Infidels" album. Oh well, I guess he had his reasons.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue April 19th, 2005, 14:54 GMT 
Titanium Member

They are both stubborn old goats, with definite ideas. So they probably get on great with each other.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue April 19th, 2005, 15:39 GMT 

Bob seems to have a singularly strong artistic vision and that's his problem with producers really. Bob doesn't really know what a producer's for ... and when he goes into the studio with a clear idea of the songs it really does beg the question of what they're for. I think he chose Knopfler & Lanois because their names would help sell records or give a commercial currency to the recordings. Probably the record execs had a say in it too .....

I think Dylan was right to buck Knopfler on production values if not on song choice...... and am I the only one to think that Oh Mercy & TOOM suffer from Lanoisery? Lanois neglects the humour in Dylans work because he is blinded by gravitas. I mean TOOM & OM were exactly the sort of albums we could have expected from late career Dylan - no surprises. To me one of the joys of Love & Theft was that it was genuinely surprising, choc full of humour, energy with heaps of artistic integrity. Bob should 'produce' his own stuff more often.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue April 19th, 2005, 16:21 GMT 

Jon, the only suprise about the two albums is how great they were after years of mediocrity, and that's what realy matters. Sorry if i sound like a Lanois fan. i am not. To make Bob sound like he was guest vocalist on a U2 record for Series Of dreams no matter how good the song was criminal!
It's just something i've often thought about. I like his work on Time Out Of Mind although most of the musicians didn't seem to! I get fed quickly when i listen to Infidels cos the production is so bad and i wonder how good it could have been...........if Bob could have spotted a good song from a bad one aswell!...........god, now i'm just ramblin'. Cheers everyone.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue April 19th, 2005, 16:25 GMT 

AMENDMENT! zim 79 sent the above message.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue April 19th, 2005, 19:09 GMT 

Lanois is slick and quite polished in a overdone way. He's nothing more then a imitation of Phil Spector and a poor one at that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed April 27th, 2005, 02:40 GMT 

i think time our of mind is one of dylan's finest albums, really cementing dylan's status as a genuius sonwriter. he needed to find his voice after the relative drought since oh mercy and lanios gave that to him for time......you wouldn't want him producing every dylan album though...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed April 27th, 2005, 07:49 GMT 

Jack44 wrote:
i think time our of mind is one of dylan's finest albums, really cementing dylan's status as a genuius sonwriter. he needed to find his voice after the relative drought since oh mercy and lanios gave that to him for time......you wouldn't want him producing every dylan album though...

well said!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed April 27th, 2005, 09:05 GMT 

Lanois is a great producer. That thing about Spectre is nonsense. His production has brightened up recently. If you listen to his own record 'Shine' It's a lot less swampy than Toom. I never listen to two Lanois produced albums in a row lest my mind becomes dislodged.

I listened to Love and Theft again this morning. It's such a good album. After a few weeks of listening to Blonde on Blonde, HW61 and BOTT it felt so clear crisp and masterful.

I hope Dylan AKA Jack Frost produces the next album.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat April 30th, 2005, 14:58 GMT 

I tend to agree that Dylan should produce his own material at this stage.Can't say that Lanois does a bad job but also reckon that he might have been so caught up in his own shit that he maybe missed some of what Dylan was saying.