Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Wed September 26th, 2018, 05:29 GMT

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 837 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 34  Next
PostPosted: Fri December 1st, 2017, 06:01 GMT 

My feeling is that BS14 will be larger than BS13; 10-12 disks,
maybe even more.
There are numerous concerts in excellent quality out there,
and plenty of outtakes. I'm so in love with the ragged RT'76,
I really should be thinking about this at the moment :D

PostPosted: Fri December 8th, 2017, 15:53 GMT 
Titanium Member

If we get a "Desire" Era set. I hope there are more outtakes, sessions, and songs we have not heard like in the vein of "Abandoned Love" and "Caribbean Wind"

PostPosted: Fri December 8th, 2017, 16:52 GMT 

SirDogg wrote:
Goin'ToHaveSomeFun wrote:
BS 14 will most certainly cover 74/75/76 accompanied by a RTR documentary. I think the configuration for the deluxe version of BS13 has set the stage for this next BS release (live + rare and unreleased + a couple full concerts).

Would be a dream come true!

exactly.
best dylan ever.

PostPosted: Sat December 16th, 2017, 03:00 GMT 
Promethium Member

gerardv wrote:
My feeling is that BS14 will be larger than BS13; 10-12 disks,
maybe even more.

Well, 2025 ain’t that far off, so maybe they oughtta just sort it all out now,
while the people who understand what went on are still here on the planet.

PostPosted: Thu December 28th, 2017, 13:50 GMT 
Promethium Member

Just re-read this September 2017 Rolling Stone article recently and thought it worthy of posting here:

What's Next for Bob Dylan's Bootleg Series?
A long-awaited documentary on the Rolling Thunder Revue tour may see release next year
Sources close to the Bob Dylan camp reveal plans for future Bootleg Series installments, including a Rolling Thunder Revue documentary.

by Andy Greene - September 25, 2017

Now that details on Bob Dylan's new gospel-era collection Trouble No More: The Bootleg Series Vol. 13 / 1979–1981 have surfaced, his team can turn their attention to future archival projects. Nothing is definite, but next year could finally see the release of a long-awaited documentary about the famed Rolling Thunder Revue tour of 1975–76 that will be paired with a box set of music from the era. "It's a great period and there's so much music that was so well-recorded," says a source close to the Dylan camp. "I think that'll be a great companion piece to the film. We have incredible, incredible stuff. Hopefully it'll all come out next year."

There has been talk for years about a Blood on the Tracks box set that would include unheard solo acoustic demos from the first day of sessions with producer Phil Ramone, but that might get folded into the Rolling Thunder collection. "It's just a two-year period of Blood on the Tracks and Desire," says the source. "It's precipitous [at the moment] because we usually like to see how it all goes together."

The Rolling Thunder Revue featured Bob Dylan playing a series of theater shows with little advance notice on a bill that included Joan Baez, Roger McGuinn, Ramblin' Jack Elliott and many others. Dylan spent much of his offstage time shooting the surreal film Renaldo and Clara, which utilized many of the Rolling Thunder performers in acting roles. The upcoming documentary will incorporate unseen footage from the film shoot along with contemporary interviews with many of the participants. The Dylan camp has yet to announce what director was hired to oversee the project. The tour was already chronicled on the 1976 live album Hard Rain and a 2002 Bootleg Series collection, but those only scratched the surface of what's in the vault.

Beyond the Rolling Thunder documentary and accompanying box set, future chapters of the Bootleg Series might chronicle Dylan's 1993 acoustic shows at New York's Supper Club (which were professionally filmed) and some sort of examination of the Never Ending Tour. The latter is a particularly challenging project since it involves over 2,800 concerts between 1988 and the present day. Dylan's road crew has been recording shows dating back to the beginning of the Never Ending Tour, but the quality of them up until the mid-2000's is less than stellar.

"Some of them are recorded on DAT or other formats of the moment," says the source. "Who knew they wouldn't last? For a lot of years during the 1990s, there were these two fans and they would go and each would wear recording equipment in their hats and they'd sit in different sections so that the stuff would be stereo. Those tapes sound better than our board tapes."

In recent years, many artists have started offering their fans recordings of every single concert. Nugs.net – which facilitates this service for Bruce Springsteen, Pearl Jam, Phish, Metallica and many others – have approached Dylan's team without any luck. "We're not big believers in the live download the ways those guys are doing it," says the source. "People like it and we've thought about it for a lot of years, but we just don't know."

One problem the source points to is the lack of manpower on the road to oversee the taping. "In regards to front-of-house sound, we don't have the kind of organization that Bruce Springsteen has," says the source. "They have someone doing a separate mix and they're looking at it as a profit center. We focus our energy on what the live sound sounds like. If you get a board tape that someone hasn't done a remix of, you're always disappointed in what they sound like. They're not as electric as the shows themselves. That's one reason we choose the Rolling Thunder period. Someone was doing a separate board mix. All the way back to Richard Alderson, who did the 1966 tour, some engineers take it upon themselves to do both, but that is very hard."

But couldn't the Dylan organization simply hire a separate sound engineer to go on tour and create a mix for downloads? "That's not where we're at," says the source. "Again, our focus is to try and present a show in the moment to the people. And also, I don't know how many downloads we want to have out there. We're more excited about curating new stuff for people. If people really want to find that stuff, it's all over the Internet."

Many recent chapters of the Bootleg Series have explored neglected corners of Dylan's catalog, like 2013's Another Self Portrait. Dylan scholar Clinton Heylin would like the see more sets like that in the future. "I would love to hear a really good set that covers the Rundown [studios] era from 1977 to the end of 1981 that completely bypasses religious material," he says." There's reams and reams of phenomenal covers that they were doing at rehearsals, songs you'd never expect him to do like [Michael Johnson's] 'This Night Won't Last Forever' or 'Sweet Caroline.' These are songs that you think, 'My God, is he really going to try and tackle something like that?' He even does 'Rainbow Connection.' I mean, Jesus ... And they're fantastic."

Heylin would also like to see the Bootleg Series venture further into the Eighties. "Dylan was on a relative creative high in '84 and '85, but it's not reflected in the finished album of Empire Burlesque, which I can barely listen to," he says. "They'd have to go back to the original tapes so they could restore it to something that people can actually appreciate for an Empire Burlesque Bootleg Series. Personally speaking, I wish they'd include Knocked Out Loaded with that. I know they have a very low view of that album, but I suspect there's a bunch of very good stuff there that just simply never got counted. Then there's [1983's] Infidels. Just like in the Rundown period, he recorded something like 16 or 18 covers. He's singing great and has a great band. They could go to town with that one."

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/feat ... oc-w504817

PostPosted: Thu December 28th, 2017, 14:19 GMT 

My dream record.

(even though Live 75 has already revealed lots of it....)

PostPosted: Thu December 28th, 2017, 17:56 GMT 
Promethium Member

If it happens, I might finally get over BS13.

PostPosted: Sat January 6th, 2018, 10:23 GMT 

Rumor/hoax on facebook (via the Steve Hoffman forum):

“Bob Dylan bootleg series vol XIV: oh gees oh mercy 32 disc completely raw deluxe box to be released October 5th 2018”

I think this is a hoax, because they would not leak any details about an upcoming release nine months prior. Furthermore, I think that even if they released the sessions in their entirety and also added the demo recordings, it would not amount to 32 discs. "Man In The Long Black Coat" was recorded in one take and I don't think that they were doing many takes at those sessions.

PostPosted: Sat January 6th, 2018, 11:09 GMT 

My Echo, My Shadow And Me wrote:

“Bob Dylan bootleg series vol XIV: oh gees oh mercy 32 disc completely raw deluxe box to be released October 5th 2018”

I think this is a hoax, because they would not leak any details about an upcoming release nine months prior. Furthermore, I think that even if they released the sessions in their entirety and also added the demo recordings, it would not amount to 32 discs. "Man In The Long Black Coat" was recorded in one take and I don't think that they were doing many takes at those sessions.

In my opinion the original poster did not write *oh mercy* as the title of the album, but as an exlamation.

I still hope the box will be about RTR.

PostPosted: Sat January 6th, 2018, 11:13 GMT 

Giuseppe Gazerro wrote:

In my opinion the original poster did not write *oh mercy* as the title of the album, but as an exlamation.

I still hope the box will be about RTR.

I was thinking about the same possibility ... 32 discs for RTR/Blood On The Tracks/Desire is possible of course.

PostPosted: Sat January 6th, 2018, 13:44 GMT 
Promethium Member

My shelves are getting more cluttered and my time, more limited.
Bob is burying us while we scream for more!
And it feels good.

PostPosted: Sat January 6th, 2018, 14:24 GMT 

Bring it on, b*tch!

PostPosted: Sat January 6th, 2018, 18:05 GMT 

It does sound like nonsense. Release date wouldn't be pinned down yet.
Would not complain about 32 disks though, especially if it was 1975/76!!

PostPosted: Sat January 6th, 2018, 18:12 GMT 

If true, however, I shudder to think how much it'll cost. And I shudder to think I'll feel the need to buy it

PostPosted: Sat January 6th, 2018, 18:13 GMT 

gerardv wrote:
Would not complain about 32 disks though, especially if it was 1975/76!!

No, definitely not.
:) :D

PostPosted: Sun January 7th, 2018, 03:45 GMT 
Promethium Member

With Trouble No More out I'm surprised anyone could ask for anything more, especially material from that era. Something from the NET would make a lot more sense.

PostPosted: Sun January 7th, 2018, 04:22 GMT 
Titanium Member

^Trouble No More was a one-listen only for me, so a thorough release on the (vastly superior) years preceding it would be a very welcome treat.

PostPosted: Sun January 7th, 2018, 08:54 GMT 

Nightingale's Code wrote:
^Trouble No More was a one-listen only for me, so a thorough release on the (vastly superior) years preceding it would be a very welcome treat.

This exactly for me, except deduct that one listen.

PostPosted: Sun January 7th, 2018, 12:47 GMT 

Apart from the aforementioned remarks about oh mercy, This 32 disks number is so random and doesn't make sense for me. There were more than 50 concerts during the Rolling Thunder Revue, each one lasting between an hour and a half (Dylan part only) and almost four hours (including all the guests). So if they want to include all the shows it won't be enough.
I think the set will be somewhat around 10 to 15 disks in the style of Trouble No More. You'll have 3-4 discs of sessions from Blood On The Tracks (including the early demos with Dylan alone without the echo) and Desire. I don't expect I'm Cold, they will certainly keep it in the vault for later releases.
Then you have 3 discs of selections from the entire tour, and finally two complete shows in pristine quality (most likely MSG 75 and Fort Collins/Fort Worth). You can add the dvd of the documentary for the regular version.
And for the über/deluxe/collector edition, Salt Lake City 76 as the final touch (like San Diego 79, it was one of the rare shows that are not in circulation).
If they include the guests, it could mount to more disks but I'm not sure Sony will be able to do that, depending on the publishing rights of each artist.

PostPosted: Sun January 7th, 2018, 22:22 GMT 
Titanium Member

Yes, with the artists. a lot of difficulty.

I mentioned before, but this is why it took so long for "The Wonder Years" to get the proper Series DVD Box Set collection release.

PostPosted: Sun January 7th, 2018, 23:15 GMT 

Why did I miss this one??? :oops: I've been watching on VHS. Hard to follow :cry: :cry: :cry: where everything is -Must take up at least a 3rd of all the space on my shelf!!!

PostPosted: Mon January 8th, 2018, 00:46 GMT 
Promethium Member

I understand (kind of) a Bootleg Series release for Blood On the Tracks and/or Desire but Rolling Thunder Revue has been done. I appreciate it but I can't really see anything being added that would be an improvement or really beneficial. But then again, they released a crapload of stuff from the '60s so maybe they will. Someone will project how much money people are willing to spend and then they'll start the presses.

I'm waiting to see what is actually released before I commit to buying it. I want to know that its worth the time and money...

PostPosted: Mon January 8th, 2018, 02:57 GMT 
Promethium Member

Untrodden Path wrote:
I'm waiting to see what is actually released before I commit to buying it.
I want to know that its worth the time and money...

As opposed to what I do:

Just give Dylan, Inc. direct access to tithe my account,
on an as-needed basis.
Complete faith in the final products.
You must admit, these last several BS boxed sets are pretty good.

Almost everything, actually, except the American Standards and Xmas Through the Heart

PostPosted: Mon January 8th, 2018, 05:49 GMT 
Senior Moderator

Nightingale's Code wrote:

I completely agree.
I've listened to Making A Liar.. a couple of times and a few other songs too,
but there's just nothing groundbreaking for me in this release.

Bring on the 70's one!
Didn't someone mention in an interview that it was completed and ready to go, but this Gospel stuff got in the way?

PostPosted: Mon January 8th, 2018, 06:26 GMT 

Untrodden Path wrote:
I understand (kind of) a Bootleg Series release for Blood On the Tracks and/or Desire but Rolling Thunder Revue has been done. I appreciate it but I can't really see anything being added that would be an improvement or really beneficial. But then again, they released a crapload of stuff from the '60s so maybe they will.

We got only two discs for the RTR. (I HOPE) there's waaaaayyy more left from that era. And given that the middle 70s are the only period that can really compare to the magical 60s, I expect (and HOPE for!) the equivalent of the Cutting Edge. Would only be fair.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 837 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 34  Next