Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Thu August 16th, 2018, 00:13 GMT

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri October 9th, 2015, 21:47 GMT 

I didn't know, in which thread could I put this subject, let me do that here. Maybe it would be great opportunity to wake up some Polish users of this forum :)

Excerpt from announcement of "Frazy" song festival in Poznań (3-5 November 2015):

Quote:
Z kolei Łobodziński zaprezentuje swoje wersje utworów Boba Dylana przetłumaczone przez siebie na język polski, które znalazły się na jego płycie zatytułowanej „Dylan.pl”.

If you don't know any translations of BD songs done by this man, there you are: http://www.zr.art.pl ->> Do Czytania ->> Teksty Piosenek ->> Bob Dylan

Short info for non-Polish people: Filip Łobodziński is mostly known as journalist and member of band "Zespół Reprezentacyjny", performing songs i.a. of Luis Llach, George Brassens and occasionally Bob Dylan (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6E0Xw-18fSA - their version of Times They Are A-Changin'), with translated as well as original lyrics. He is also a great admirer of Dylan's work and author of many essays undertaking his life and output (http://wyborcza.pl/duzyformat/1,127291, ... ylana.html). There is no surprise, that this man has ever wanted to publish an album with own translations of beloved lyrics, but hell, he didn't boast of that so far!

Łobodziński also said in interview published in February 2015:

Quote:
Znajdą się na niej utwory Dylana, z moimi tłumaczeniami, które robię od trzydziestu paru lat. Zagram na gitarze i zaśpiewam. Udało mi się zebrać fajny skład, trio z opcją rozszerzenia do kwartetu. Gramy na zasadzie: żadnego przeprodukowania, tylko czysta międzyludzka komunikacja, nawet z wchodzeniem instrumentów za późno czy za wcześnie. Zależy nam, by miało to intymne brzmienie, czysto analogowe, dzięki któremu każdy, kto zechce tego posłuchać, będzie miał wrażenie, że jest wśród muzyków

Quote:
It will include Dylan songs, with my translations, I do thirty a few years. I'll play guitar and sing. I was able to gather a nice composition, a trio with the option to extend the Quartet. We play on the principle: no overproducin, just pure interpersonal communication, even from entering the instruments too late or too early. We want to have this intimate sound, purely analog, whereby anyone who wants to listen, he will have the impression that he is among playing musicians

It isn't first time that Polish artist confrots with Dylan, even it is not the first album with BD in Polish!
Martyna Jakubowicz, Dylan po polsku - Augustyn Święty był w mym śnie https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=moA7tZf8_C0
and Specjaliści od Wojny (Masters of War) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKtBllMbsSw

Enjoy :)

PostPosted: Mon October 12th, 2015, 20:36 GMT 

Dzień dobry :)

Nice to see another mate from Poland here :)

PostPosted: Wed October 28th, 2015, 13:16 GMT 

Hello, Everybody,
I'm a fresh newcomer, yet been following several threads on ER for quite a time now. I am the above/below mentioned Filip Łobodziński and I confirm almost everything that has been posted so far. Except that the quoted item from the media about the album Dylan.pl that apparently has already been released. Dylan.pl is the name of the group/project and our FORTHCOMING but as yet not entirely recorded album is NIEPOTRZEBNA POGODYNKA, ŻEBY ZNAĆ KIERUNEK WIATRU which stands for "You don't need the weatherman to know which way the wind blows" in my translation.
In my translations, I try to approach the lyrics as deep as possible, capturing the poetic and biblical allusions while trying to lift some strictly American threads to a more general level that would be understandable in Poland. E.g. no "Lincoln County road" in my translation of Señor, replaced by "dispute over the honour". It may not be 100% accurate but somehow it was approved by BD copryght administration/management when I sent them my re-translation to obtain legal OK for the recording of the album (Studio-Legal?). And s.o.
As for the album itself - it would be a fullfiulling of my 30-years-old dream. And it will show our interpretations of Dylan's songs ranging fdrom Blowin' in the Wind through Subterranean Homesick Blues through Tangled Up in Blue through Gotta Serve Somebody through Every Grain of Sand through Jokerman through Highlands through Ain't Talkin' to Soon after Midnight. 29 songs in total.
We are four, playing acoustic instruments (guitars, dobro, Gypsy guitar, mandolin, banjo, ukulele, bass, percussion, harmonica and piano). Possible sit-ins from some of the Polish well-known musicians. The whole enterprise would be a sort of backyard/porch/veranda kind of playing.
Huge thanx for the Post, migelito!
Highlands to Everybody,
f

PostPosted: Wed October 28th, 2015, 14:20 GMT 

Good Eve/Mor-ning Everybody,
I'm the above-mentioned Filip Łobodziński. And a newbie on this forum which, BTW, I've been following for quite a time now (umpteen years?).
Now, to the point. There are things I need to clarify.
There is no album called "Dylan.pl". The names applies to my side project, a gang of four. We play acoustic instruments - acoustic & classical guitars, dobro, Gypsy guitar, mandolin, banjo, ukulele, bass, percussion, piano, occasional hca. Our FORTHCOMING and not-yet fully recorded album is tentatively entitled NIEPOTRZEBNA POGODYNKA, ŻEBY ZNAĆ KIERUNEK WIATRU which stands for "You don't need the weatherman to know which way the wind blows" in my translation.
The album is bound to be released in early/mid 2016 to coincide with His Bobness' 75th B-day.
The idea behind is to present BD in as many aspects as possible. To show him as a poet, lover, praying man, warrior and scorn-fed observer. And a Living Artist. Therefore we play songs from his entire career so far - from Blowin' in the wind through Subterranean Homesick Blues through Father of Night through Tangled Up in Blue through Señor through Gotta Serve Somebody through Every Grain of Sand through Jokerman through Highlands through Ain't Talkin' to Soon after Midnight. As for the sound - we opt for a veranda/porch/backyard type of feeling, acoustic friendly meeting.
Possible sit-ins from several well-known Polish musicians (including rapper L.U.C and grunge-folk-rocker Edyta Bartosiewicz).
But on Nov 4, 2015 we play our first-ever gig in Poznań. At the Frazy ("phrases") Festival, namely.
As for my translations - I've been doing them for over 35 years now. And I try to approach as many aspects of the lyrics as possible to make Polish readers/audience get as much as the English-speaking audience might get. I.e. I respect all the Biblical, poetic, literary and traditional allusions, and when BD alludes e.g. to Burns or Eliot I make use of Polish versions of their respective poems. If nobody cares, I can't help it.
Some notions need to be "generalized" if they're too "local", too "American". But I try to make my versions as unioversal as possible.
I don't claim to be a master but I certainly try to do justice.
My fellow travellers are Jacek Wąsowski (guitars, hca), Marek Wojtczak (b, p) and Krzysztof Poliński (dr, perc).
We're all over 50 (over 200 collectively) but we don't give a sh**.
Our arrangements obviously differ from the originals. But we try to fit in the Americana/folk frame. E.g. our version of Jokerman is set in a voodoo mood, with shaker & dobro playing prominent roles.
All right, that's all for my first-ever post here,
sorry for it being too long,
Highlands to Everybody,
thanx to migelito for the initial post.
See you around,
f

PostPosted: Wed October 28th, 2015, 20:06 GMT 

Hi again,

I'm back only to say I'm sorry for "going through all these things twice" and having repeated almost entirely my post. It was due to some failure which made me think I launched my first post somewhere into the outer space.

I'm a quick learner, though. So there won't be any redundant posts from me any more.
The sun will always shine.
f

PostPosted: Fri November 6th, 2015, 11:23 GMT 

FYI :)
http://kultura.poznan.pl/mim/kultura/ne ... 87592.html

For non-Polish speakers/readers - they say it turned out quite successful and convincing. They even say "outstanding". Whatever that means.

PostPosted: Mon November 9th, 2015, 09:00 GMT 

And the Poznań stage list, should someone be curious:

Subterranean Homesick Blues (Tęskny jazz o podziemiu)
The Times They Are a-Changin' (Czasy nadchodzą nowe)
Jokerman (Arlekin)
Soon after Midnight (Północ minęła)
When the Ship Comes In (Gdy przypłynie okręt nasz)
Black Diamond Bay (Port Czarnych Łez)
Love Minus Zero/No Limit (Miłość bez zera/Żadnych ograniczeń)
Tangled Up in Blue (W szarych pętach dżdżu)
Gotta Serve Somebody (Musisz służyć komuś)
Maggie's Farm (Firma Ziuty)
Mr. Tambourine Man (Pan z Tamburynem)
Ain't Talkin' (Bez słowa)
Blowin' in the Wind (Odpowiedź unosi wiatr)
Love Sick (Jest mi miłość)
Ballad of a Thin Man (Ballada o cieniasie)
Every Grain of Sand (Każde trawy źdźbło)
To Ramona (Ramona)
It's Alright, Ma [I'm Only Bleeding] (Oj tam, stara [Tak sobie krwawię])
Señor [Tales of Yankee Power] (Señor [Z dziejów jankeskiej potęgi])
Like a Rolling Stone (Jak błądzący łach)
+ two encores:
Death Is Not the End (Śmierć to nie jest kres)
Romance in Durango (Romance in Durango)

PostPosted: Thu January 11th, 2018, 08:30 GMT 

TWIMC, the dylan.pl cover band from Poland has a new video out:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0HkyoOaa2s
The song is The Times They Are a-Changin' and the guest vocals are by Muniek Staszczyk, one of the top Polish rock voices.

PostPosted: Thu January 11th, 2018, 17:37 GMT 
Titanium Member

Nice to see that the Polish rockers have excellent taste!! Congrats - most impressive.