Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Mon December 17th, 2018, 11:43 GMT

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri May 29th, 2015, 09:17 GMT 

Hi all,

I was just looking through the hardcover book of photographs included with the deluxe Basement Tapes Complete box last night and was captivated by the set of photos from March 1967. The book didn't really provide much information or context on them. These are the series of 14 photos taken during what appears to be additional filming for Eat the Document (but was never included in the finished film). Howard Alk, Tiny Tim, Richard Manuel and Rick Danko are all there. Dylan works behind the camera and also sits in a set that appears to be dressed like a rustic log cabin wearing a coonskin hat and overalls.

Does anyone have any more info on this pictures? Doing some digging online I found out that they were taken by Arie de Reus. Apparently Paul Stookey was around during the filming, too (but he's not seen in the pictures). He's been quoted as saying of his role, "I’m a seeker in monk’s clothing, cavorting with Tiny Tim and Howard Alk, and a winterscape." Does anyone know the location of this makeshift set? Is it Dylan's house? Some photos show a large window, so I'm not sure if it's "the" basement. Anyone know why Dylan and Alk decided to film additional scenes for Eat the Document that are much more akin to a fiction film than the experimental documentary approach of Eat the Document?

Thanks for any insight into this intriguing photographic mystery!

PostPosted: Fri May 29th, 2015, 11:35 GMT 

Apparently the photo of Dylan reading a copy of 'Melody Maker' has been suggested as dating from December 1966.

PostPosted: Fri May 29th, 2015, 12:40 GMT 

hollowhorn wrote:
Apparently the photo of Dylan reading a copy of 'Melody Maker' has been suggested as dating from December 1966.

Very interesting! I wonder why it was included with this set, if that's the case.

PostPosted: Fri May 29th, 2015, 15:53 GMT 

I find those pictures very interesting, from a largely unknown small period

Common view is that Bob was laying around the house in late '66/early '67. Little did we know he was filming some strange scripted scenes, much like he would do later in 1975.

Seem to recall reading that he had rented a warehouse for filming. The playing/cabin scenes I never could figure if that was a Band house or Bob's or etc. Really like to know what they were playing!

Some of this film was featured in a promo for the box set, though I'm forgetting which.
All I remember is the film looked beautiful - full colors. And whether the scenes were
finished or successful is irrelevant to me - I'd like to see it all.

PostPosted: Fri May 29th, 2015, 16:38 GMT 

asdf29 wrote:
I find those pictures very interesting, from a largely unknown small period

Common view is that Bob was laying around the house in late '66/early '67. Little did we know he was filming some strange scripted scenes, much like he would do later in 1975.

Seem to recall reading that he had rented a warehouse for filming. The playing/cabin scenes I never could figure if that was a Band house or Bob's or etc. Really like to know what they were playing!

Some of this film was featured in a promo for the box set, though I'm forgetting which.
All I remember is the film looked beautiful - full colors. And whether the scenes were

Wow, I just saw the footage in the promo that you speak of, and it's incredible! I assume Dylan's team has it archived somewhere. Judging by the variety of scenes in the footage, the filming must have evolved beyond "additional scenes" for Eat the Document and into its own, new thing. Crazy.

PostPosted: Fri May 29th, 2015, 17:15 GMT 

asdf29 wrote:

http://tangledupintorrents.com/details.php?id=3847

PostPosted: Fri May 29th, 2015, 19:13 GMT 

All photo’s have the date march 1967.
The filming can be considered as an early try for the film, that became “You Are What You Eat”.

The release of the Basement Tapes Bootleg Series were in my opinion the right moment to share these photo’s, that I found several years ago and own the copyrights.
I especially like the photo of Bob with Tiny Tim, that was in published in Isis magazine.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Fri May 29th, 2015, 19:25 GMT 

December 1966 crashes & burns! It must have been an old copy of 'Melody Maker' he was reading at the time :D

Arie, just to clear up what was stated in the opening post, you did not actually take the photographs?

How did you come by them, that must be a story in itself.

You say that "The filming can be considered as an early try for the film, that became “You Are What You Eat”.
This is not then footage related to the reported shooting of additional scenes for 'Eat the Document'?
It does make sense, it's difficult to see how such footage would fit in to the film in it's (limited) release?

Why though would Dylan be involved in the filming? Although it was eventually directed by Barry Feinstein, do you mean it was the participation of Howard Alk that is the connection here, he did, as I'm sure you know, go on to edit “You Are What You Eat”

PostPosted: Fri May 29th, 2015, 23:53 GMT 

Yeah, I think the connection to You Are What You Eat is tenuous at best. The fact that Alk and Tiny Tim contributed to both isn't corroboration of a connection at all.

PostPosted: Sat May 30th, 2015, 03:29 GMT 

Shalom & Erev tov...all of the March 1967 photographs are from the private archive of historian Arie de Reus, as he notes. I am in the process of locating a photograph (there may be another one) of Bob/Shabtai's 12 June 1954 bar mitzvah not taken by a family member. It has been in private hands for 51 years, and, if it has survived, I shall definitely provide one to Arie, and here. Arie is a rarity: a totally honest archivist.
STEPHAN PICKERING / Chafetz Chayim benAvraham

PostPosted: Sat May 30th, 2015, 03:38 GMT 

hollowhorn wrote:

The Melody Maker he is reading was published several months before the 1967 photograph of him in his head gear.
Stephan.....................................................
STEPHAN PICKERING / Chafetz Chayim benAvraham

PostPosted: Sat May 30th, 2015, 15:49 GMT 

The other day reading this thread, before Arie posted, I thought to myself, those photos are probably from footage not used for "You Are What You Eat." And the connection isn't tenuous at all. The film was a project of Peter Yarrow and Barry Feinstein, both friends of Dylan, and Yarrow was a Woodstock resident and in fact the person that pointed both Albert Grossman and then Dylan towards the town. And then there's the fact that the tape recorded used to record the Basement Tapes was borrowed from Peter, Paul & Mary, and that the film was largely shot in Woodstock.

PostPosted: Sat May 30th, 2015, 16:25 GMT 

PSB wrote:
The other day reading this thread, before Arie posted, I thought to myself, those photos are probably from footage not used for "You Are What You Eat." And the connection isn't tenuous at all. The film was a project of Peter Yarrow and Barry Feinstein, both friends of Dylan, and Yarrow was a Woodstock resident and in fact the person that pointed both Albert Grossman and then Dylan towards the town. And then there's the fact that the tape recorded used to record the Basement Tapes was borrowed from Peter, Paul & Mary, and that the film was largely shot in Woodstock.

Again, you're suggesting nothing more than circumstantial speculation -- no hard evidence that connects the two. Why are Dylan and Alk seen behind the camera in these photos, and not Yarrow and Feinstein? Why wouldn't they be present to oversee the filming of their own film? Have you even seen You Are What You Eat?

PostPosted: Sat May 30th, 2015, 16:57 GMT 

There is no need for them to oversee footage, that is not used for their film.
All that there is to say: This may have started as additional footage for “Eat The Document”,
but seems to have ended as an early try for the film, that became “You Are What You Eat”.
Let’s jus leave it at that.
All the footage is silent, as the sound seems to have been lost.

PostPosted: Sat May 30th, 2015, 17:24 GMT 

arie wrote:
All that there is to say: This may have started as additional footage for “Eat The Document”,
but seems to have ended as an early try for the film, that became “You Are What You Eat”.

I guess I'm not quite sure what you mean by "early try." You Are What You Eat originated with Feinstein. It was his concept. I just don't see the connection between the projects beyond a bunch of guys who can be connected to each other through other collaborations/relationships.

Do you mean an "early try" at the type of film that You Are What You Eat exemplifies? Or are you suggesting that Feinstein asked them to put together some footage in accordance with his idea for a 'freaky' film to see how it would turn out? Are you saying it is test footage for You Are What You Eat? Again, why wouldn't Feinstein shoot his own test footage?

PostPosted: Sat May 30th, 2015, 17:55 GMT 

arie wrote:

ah, well there goes my hope for hearing what bob was playing on the piano, lol

PostPosted: Sat May 30th, 2015, 18:00 GMT 

I really have no more comment on this. I'm only sharing.Take it as it is or just leave it alone.
Apologies for the bother.

PostPosted: Sat May 30th, 2015, 18:26 GMT 

arie, many thanks for your comments!

Having seen your name credited to those 1967 pictures, I was really happy
to see you comment here on the subject.

The pictures pre-date the bulk of the proper "basement tapes,"
and capture Bob in the cusp of two distinctly different writing cycles
and approaches. An era lost in time within an era lost in time.

PostPosted: Wed February 14th, 2018, 20:04 GMT 

For what it's worth, I collected all of the Woodstock footage into a video.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1fV2k4x ... sp=sharing

PostPosted: Wed February 14th, 2018, 20:35 GMT 

arie wrote:
The filming can be considered as an early try for the film, that became “You Are What You Eat”.

The release of the Basement Tapes Bootleg Series were in my opinion the right moment to share these photo’s, that I found several years ago and own the copyrights.
I especially like the photo of Bob with Tiny Tim, that was in published in Isis magazine.

Is this Bob with a " Waschbärmütze " on his head !?

PostPosted: Thu February 15th, 2018, 13:42 GMT 

115th wrote:
arie wrote:

Is this Bob with a " Waschbärmütze " on his head !?

you mean a bear x hat?

PostPosted: Sat February 17th, 2018, 02:13 GMT 

Wvalebe wrote:

That's fantastic. Thanks!

Bob looks so Bob-ish.

PostPosted: Sat February 17th, 2018, 03:47 GMT 
Promethium Member

Wvalebe wrote:

I'd never thought much about even the idea of a film from this period, be it finished or unfinished. What tantalizing footage, thank you.

PostPosted: Sat February 17th, 2018, 17:14 GMT 

^ Fanatstic Woodstock footage

Look more like Pat Garrett/Alias outtakes!