All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue November 25th, 2014, 09:04 GMT 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OuCRNNo8wBc

PostPosted: Tue November 25th, 2014, 09:09 GMT 

"How did I wind up in Woodstock? I don't know"

PostPosted: Tue November 25th, 2014, 10:15 GMT 
Promethium Member

"We had a place pretty much on our own.
Whatever was on top the pile, somebody grabbed it and said, this, let's do that for a while.
It was a kind of music that made you feel that you were a part of something very, very special and nobody else was a part of it, and back then it was hard to get to. You can't record everything you wrote, so it's understandable that a lot of this stuff just, hmm, fall by the wayside or... I don't even know how or where it was kept all these years, umm... I'd never seen these lyrics since the day they were [written]. Never seen 'em.
How did I wind up in Woodstock? Uhh... I don't know!
How did the songs on the Basement Tapes come about? Oh... y'know, beside this, kind of was gonna stay up in Woodstock for a while, so... my band from the touring we had done together, those guys just came on up there, they liked it too. And Robbie called me up one day and said, "What's happenin'?" you know, "What's happenin'?" and I said, "Nuthin'." He said, well he was in the mood for some nuthin' too.
And it had a basement, typical basement full of pipes and a concrete floor, washer, dryer...
We'd just kind of sit around and call out the songs and before we went down into the basement to put it on tape. Woodstock was a place were you could kinda go and get your thoughts together.
It was an artist colony. There were plenty of painters who lived in that area, but very few musicians, who... we certainly knew of nobody up there playing any music. Later there were, but when we were up there, middle of the '60s, we were pretty much by ourselves.
The events of the day, they were just happening, they seemed to be a million miles away. We weren't really participating in any of that stuff, well it was the Summer of Love, but... we weren't there, so we did our thing where we wrote Million Dollar Bash, you know, go along with the Summer of Love. We had nothing else to do, so I started writing a bunch of songs.
I'd write them in longhand and I'd write 'em on the typewriter and whatever was handy. Pencil, pen, typewriter... How do we go about writing our songs? I'd know I wasn't gonna write anything about myself, I didn't have nothin' to say about myself that I'd figure anybody else would be interested in anyway. You kind of look for ideas on TV [??] or somethin' and just any ol' thing would create the beginning to a song: names out of phone books and things. When China first exploded that hydrogen bomb, it just flashed across the headlines in newspapers, so, you know, we just go in and write Tears Of Rage. Things were just happening, there was riots in the street, they were rioting in Rochester in New York , it wasn't that far away, so we write Too Much Of Nuthin'. And just one thing lead to another, you know. The human heart, the first time that anybody every heard of a human heart being transplanted, that was incredible. That was a real breakthrough, so we came up with a song, and then when we got the lyrics down, we took the song to the basement. I don't when I became aware of these songs being bootlegged. I had no attention [?] about, I don't even... I won't know how to get that record, I guess they were selling them in record stores.
It's always interesting when someone takes a song of yours and re-records it. But these songs weren't tailor-made for anybody. I just wrote what I felt like writing."

Corrections welcome.

PostPosted: Tue November 25th, 2014, 10:44 GMT 

I absolutely love listening to Bob Dylan's spoken voice here: music in every word, rhythm in every pause, syncopation in every sentence. This is as rewarding as a new Bob Dylan record to me. Superb editing, too: this just great, just great.
Made my day. Made my week. For god's sake - this is GREAT!

PostPosted: Tue November 25th, 2014, 10:45 GMT 
Promethium Member

littlemaggie wrote:
I absolutely love listening to Bob Dylan's spoken voice here: music in every word, rhythm in every pause, syncopation in every sentence. This is as rewarding as a new Bob Dylan record to me. Superb editing, too: this just great, just great.
Made my day. Made my week. For god's sake - this is GREAT!

Nobody says "Nuthin'" like Bob Dylan. :P

PostPosted: Tue November 25th, 2014, 10:47 GMT 

Johanna Parker wrote:

You have POST OF THE WEEK in the bag with that one, JP.

PostPosted: Tue November 25th, 2014, 10:49 GMT 
Promethium Member

littlemaggie wrote:
Johanna Parker wrote:

You have POST OF THE WEEK in the bag with that one, JP.

Thank you! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue November 25th, 2014, 12:11 GMT 

the way he says "basement" is so funny

PostPosted: Tue November 25th, 2014, 12:18 GMT 

Classic Dylan fans. :mrgreen:

"Oooh did you hear how he said that word?"

PostPosted: Tue November 25th, 2014, 12:25 GMT 

So Tears of Rage is about the Chinese hydrogen bomb???
What's the song about the heart transplantation?

PostPosted: Tue November 25th, 2014, 12:32 GMT 

Marconakken wrote:

I can't come in with a broken heart?

PostPosted: Tue November 25th, 2014, 13:51 GMT 

Thanks for the heads-up.

Thanks for the transcription.

PostPosted: Tue November 25th, 2014, 13:55 GMT 

Marconakken wrote:

I think Bob's getting mixed up and is actually talking about the song about Chinese organ transplants, 'Big River'

PostPosted: Tue November 25th, 2014, 14:52 GMT 

Thank God for this video.

PostPosted: Tue November 25th, 2014, 15:11 GMT 
Titanium Member

I was worried it wouldn't work together, but I must say it plays nicely.

PostPosted: Tue November 25th, 2014, 15:12 GMT 

Johanna Parker wrote:
"You kind of look for ideas on TV [??] or somethin' and just any ol' thing would create the beginning to a song: names out of phone books and things."

Corrections welcome.

I've filled in your question marks. Dylan mentions two American soap operas: "You kind of look for ideas and the TV would be on, you know, like As The World Turns or Dark Shadows or somethin'..."

http://youtu.be/g8DMsvviyeU

PostPosted: Tue November 25th, 2014, 15:19 GMT 
Titanium Member

scottw wrote:
Johanna Parker wrote:
"You kind of look for ideas on TV [??] or somethin' and just any ol' thing would create the beginning to a song: names out of phone books and things."

Corrections welcome.

I've filled in your question marks. Dylan mentions two American soap operas: "You kind of look for ideas and the TV would be on, you know, like As The World Turns or Dark Shadows or somethin'..."

http://youtu.be/g8DMsvviyeU

It's funny that he mentioned this because we know he did this again in the 1980's, specifically with Empire Burlesque and ultimately Brownsville Girl, but there's a little known 80's film called Light of Day starring Joan Jett and Michael J. Fox. In the film, Fox's character is teaching Jett's son how to write songs and he turns on the tv and a soap opera is the inspiration of an opening line, "You've got no place to go." During the end credits the fully formed song plays. Ironically, in another scene Fox's character wakes up and a poster for Empire Burlesque is hanging on his wall. I wonder if Dylan was consulted for the film or if it's just a coincidence. I suppose a lot of artists write songs this way, but maybe the director and writer of that film, Paul Schrader could shed some light. If Dylan was friendly with Dennis Hopper, Schrader could have been close too.

PostPosted: Tue November 25th, 2014, 15:30 GMT 
Titanium Member

^
From a blog at Cultural Compass, The Harry Ransom Center, The Univeristy Of Texas At Austin

http://blog.hrc.utexas.edu/2011/11/30/s ... -research/

Screenwriter Paul Schrader’s papers open for research
By Elana Estrin

In the mid-1980s, Bob Dylan asked Schrader to direct a music video shot in Japan for his song “Tight Connection to My Heart.” Unhappy with the result, Schrader later called the video “a source of embarrassment.” In addition to scripts, photographs, and film documenting the video production, Schrader’s archive includes a 2002 letter to an executive at Sony in which Schrader looks back on the project 16 years later:

“It was a disaster. Bob had asked me to do it but I really didn’t ‘get’ the new music video language. He didn’t want to do it and by the middle of the shoot I didn’t want to do it. I remember saying to him at one point, ‘Bob, if you ever hear I’m making another music video, just take me out in the back yard and hose me down.’”

PostPosted: Tue November 25th, 2014, 15:40 GMT 
Titanium Member

Trev wrote:
^
From a blog at Cultural Compass, The Harry Ransom Center, The Univeristy Of Texas At Austin

http://blog.hrc.utexas.edu/2011/11/30/s ... -research/

Screenwriter Paul Schrader’s papers open for research
By Elana Estrin

In the mid-1980s, Bob Dylan asked Schrader to direct a music video shot in Japan for his song “Tight Connection to My Heart.” Unhappy with the result, Schrader later called the video “a source of embarrassment.” In addition to scripts, photographs, and film documenting the video production, Schrader’s archive includes a 2002 letter to an executive at Sony in which Schrader looks back on the project 16 years later:

“It was a disaster. Bob had asked me to do it but I really didn’t ‘get’ the new music video language. He didn’t want to do it and by the middle of the shoot I didn’t want to do it. I remember saying to him at one point, ‘Bob, if you ever hear I’m making another music video, just take me out in the back yard and hose me down.’”

Well there's the connection.

PostPosted: Tue November 25th, 2014, 16:01 GMT 

sadeyedprophet wrote:
Thank God for this video.

Agree

"aand they had a bbasementt" I must have listened to that little bit about 12 times now and it just makes me so happy! :D

also a good one: "I wouldn't know where to get that record, I guess they sell them in record stores.." :roll:

PostPosted: Tue November 25th, 2014, 16:18 GMT 
Promethium Member

Yes, that's much like when an interviewer asked Bob what made him laugh, to which Bob replied, "Something funny."

PostPosted: Tue November 25th, 2014, 17:23 GMT 

More interviews like this please.

PostPosted: Tue November 25th, 2014, 17:45 GMT 

Awesome interview! Thanks for posting it. I hope it's available on video with Bob talking!

PostPosted: Tue November 25th, 2014, 17:51 GMT 

Does anyone know where this interview is from?

PostPosted: Tue November 25th, 2014, 17:53 GMT 

Does anyone know the origins of the interview/s? Are they contemporary?