Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Mon October 22nd, 2018, 20:24 GMT

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue January 7th, 2014, 08:26 GMT 

michael curtius wrote:

Bob had four German gigs in these days. Two days before, in Berlin (Deutschlandhalle),
happened an eclat. Again some people thought , they know exact how Bob has to perform and
who he has to be: the folksinger in poor clothes. Some spectators throw waterbags and eggs on the
stage -they are protesting against Bobs show clothing and his show band and his interpretation of
his songs -they belong to them, Bob has to follow their opinions -they are thinkin´

German poet Thomas Brasch wrote a very insightful poem about that incident (" Der Sänger Dylan in der Deutschlandhalle"). http://rahmengedanken.twoday.net/stories/5753466/
I couldn't find an english translation now, but it's about "architects with fading hair,making 5000 marks a month", accusing the artist for not speaking out any more against injustice , ending with the lines " the weather is changing,it's getting colder, he who called for revolution the day before yesterday, today is two days older" (my attempt of a translation).

By the way,the Deutschlandhalle is another place with a strong Nazi-connection. It was build for the Olympic Games in 1936, many mass-rallies with Hitler took place there.

PostPosted: Tue January 7th, 2014, 08:34 GMT 

Thank you for this, WrittenInMySoul!

Thomas Brasch - Der Sänger Dylan in der Deutschlandhalle

Und der Sänger Dylan in der Deutschlandhalle
ausgepfiffen angeschrien mit Wasserbeuteln beworfen
von seinen Bewunderern, als er die Hymnen
ihrer Studentenzeit sang im Walzertakt und tanzen ließ
die schwarzen Puppen, sah staunend in die Gesichter
der Architekten mit Haarausfall und 5000 Mark im Monat,
die ihm jetzt zuschrien die Höhe der Gage und
sein ausbleibendes Engagement gegen das Elend der Welt. So sah
ich die brüllende Meute: Die Arme ausgestreckt im Dunkel neben
ihren dürren Studentinnen mit dem Elend aller Trödelmärkte
der Welt in den Augen, betrogen um ihren Krieg,
zurückgestoßen in den Zuschauerraum
der Halle, die den Namen ihres Landes trägt, endlich
verwandt ihren blökenden Vätern, aber anders als die
betrogen um den, den sie brauchen: den führenden Hammel.
Die Wetter schlagen um:
Sie werden kälter.
Wer vorgestern noch Aufstand rief,
ist heute zwei Tage älter.

PostPosted: Tue January 7th, 2014, 18:12 GMT 

Nürnberg, Zeppelinfeld, July 1, 1978

Bob Talk (quoted by Olof Björner)

"Thank you! All right, this is a new song, played for you now right at the start. (before Baby Stop Crying)

Thank you! This next song is the story of my life. (before Shelter From The Storm)

Thank you, thank you very much! We got a young girl here tonight, in the group. I want you to listen to her sing. OK? She's gonna sing a song for you now, an old Sam Cooke song. You know who Sam Cooke is? This is Carolyn Dennis. Make her feel welcome, all right?

All right. Another young lady in the group, please make her welcome. She's gonna sing a song, Love Minus Zero. Miss Helena Springs!

Helena Springs! There’s a young man in this group, a great artist in his own right. He’s made a few records, maybe you’ve heard of him, maybe not. He’ll sing one song for you. He'll introduce the song and sing it for you. Mr. Steve Soles!

Steven Soles: "Hello! I know you're out there! I'm gonna sing a little song, dedicate this to the crumbling of all monuments. It's a quiet song. We'll dedicate it to Edith Piaf, she's out there tonight." (Steve Soles sings Laissez-faire)

This is another new song, Tales Of Yankee Power.

Thank you. That was a new song. This is an old one. Not really new. It gives me great pleasure to sing it in this place! (before Masters Of War)

OK, We wanna do this tune. A lot of people say this is reggae, but it still seems to work pretty well this way. It's an old song still says the same thing. Actually it’s more Southern Mountain Reggae. (before Don't Think Twice, It's All Right)

This is called All Along The Watchtower. We wanna dedicate this to the late great Jimi Hendrix.

Thank you! David Mansfield on the violin. I taught him every single note. (after All Along The Watchtower)

Thank you! All right, I wanna introduce you to my band. You know how good they are so give them the appreciation they deserve. Tonight, on the drums, from England, Ian Wallace. On the bass guitar, from San Francisco, Jerry Scheff. All right, on the organ, from Philadelphia, Alan Pasqua. From Mobile, Alabama, on lead guitar, Billy Cross. On the conga drums from Detroit, Bobbye Hall. All right, rhythm guitar, you met this young man earlier. He's got a great future ahead of him, Mr. Steve Soles from Tombstone, Arizona. On the fiddle, the violin, violin and the mandolin, David Mansfield. On the saxophone, a young man who gave up a career as an airline pilot to join this band, Steve Douglas. Background singers tonight, on the left, my fiancée Carolyn Dennis. On the right, my childhood sweetheart, Jo Ann Harris. And, in the middle, my current girlfriend, Helena Springs. I wrote and recorded this in New York City 1963, called It's Alright Ma, I'm Only Bleeding.

Thank you! I wish we could stay and play all night, I really I do. But just can't. This is a tune I recorded on an album with The Band called Planet Waves. I'm gonna leave you with this tune. It means a lot to me and I know it means a lot to you. (before Forever Young)

Thank you. Eric Clapton is back. He's gonna stay here and sing all night with me. (plays I’ll Be Your Baby Tonight). Thank you. Eric Clapton on lead guitar!"

PostPosted: Wed January 8th, 2014, 09:57 GMT 

Chicken Shack performed also that day,
though they don´t appear on the concert poster.

Vince Weber 2:00 pm
Chicken Shack 2:45 pm
Champion Jack Dupree 3:45 pm
Lake 4:45 pm
Eric Clapton 6:15 pm
Bob Dylan 8:15 pm

PostPosted: Wed January 8th, 2014, 10:39 GMT 

Setlist Eric Clapton , July 1, 1978

1. The Core
2. Worried Life Blues
3. Wonderful Tonight
4. Lay Down Sally
5. Rodeo Man
6. Fool's Paradise
7. Cocaine
8. Double Trouble
9. Nobody Knows You When You're Down And Out
10. Badge
11. Key To The Highway
12. Layla

I´m not quite sure, if that´s right. Always thought, I remember Eric performed
"I Shot The Sheriff " also Can someone could help me out in this question ??
Would be fine ! :)

PostPosted: Wed January 8th, 2014, 12:27 GMT 

WrittenInMySoul wrote:
After the war, the Zeppelinfeld and the surrounding buildings were used by the US army, later it became a parking lot.Today the whole area is a national memorial. It can be visited, definetly a very impressive experience. There is also a very interesting exhibition and a document center about that dark era of german history.
Interestingly, after almost 80 years these buildings are beginning to crumble. There is now a very emotional discussion if, how and to what extent they should be preserved.

Today, most people around here know it for being where "Rock Im Park" happens, probably the biggest festival in southern Germany where acts such as Neil Young, REM, Metallica and others have headlined.

PostPosted: Tue July 8th, 2014, 10:16 GMT 

Picture of the 1978 summer

PostPosted: Tue January 31st, 2017, 16:19 GMT 

Yes, I was there, and it was a most memorable concert. Throughout the next days I will look for some material which I still have (unfortunately I took no Pictures but I recorded most of the concert).

Wouldn't it be a great idea if Bob Dylan released the concert on the occasion of the 40th anniversary in July 2018? Is it known if the concert was recorded professionally? The bootlegs and tape recordings show that overdubs are not necessary because the performance was outstanding and flawless. And in my opinioon he played the best It's all over now, baby blue ever.

PostPosted: Tue January 31st, 2017, 22:13 GMT 

Open-Air-Festival at Nuremberg, Zeppelinfeld: Chicken Shack – Vince Weber – Lake – Eric Clapton – Champion Jack Dupree – Bob Dylan

We arrived at Nuremberg at 1:00 p.m. and instantly found the Zeppelinfeld after asking someone once. There were many people waiting at the gates but nevertheless we got in fast. I smuggled the tape recorder in Matthias’ sleeping bag, and although I got rather anxious there was no control. We were looking for a place to stay but the whole area was crammed with people. Therefore we went up to the tribune and sat down on the pedestal where Hitler had delivered his speeches. Meanwhile the first group had already started to perform, and it took me some time to figure out who they were: it was Chicken Shack who appeared unannounced. They played from 2:45 through 3:45 p.m. At first I was disappointed but then they delivered a strong version of Poor boy. After the usual set change pianist Vince Weber came on stage but he was disappointing. A solo piano player can be brilliant in a hall in front of an audience of 50 to 2,000 people but not with 70,000 in an open air concert. The sound was so dreadful that even the otherwise great Boogie man was a flop. Apart from that he mostly played real bad blues.
The next group ‘Lake’, much praised in the pop magazines, were disappointing as well. I tried to get in front of the stage but it was impossible because of the huge crowd. The sound was very thin and the songs they played were not very well received. I started to get the tape recorder ready. Fortunately I was able to place it on the parapet so I only had to hold the microphones.
After some waiting, finally Eric Clapton appeared. He fully met our expectations. Together with female singer Marcy Levy he performed brilliantly, playing songs like Blues Paradise, Lay down Sally (for the first time the crowd applauded strongly), a country song called Rodeo man, Knocking on heaven’s door (which I had expected from Dylan), Key to the highway with harmonica and before the encore, to another very strong applause, Layla. Marcy’s vocal microphone was completely overdriven so I had trouble to adjust the tape recorder properly. But I appreciated Eric Clapton’s gig more than later Bob Dylan’s. Regrettably Eric Clapton was allowed to play only one encore because time ran out.
Eric Clapton setlist: The core - Worried life blues – Wonderful tonight – Lay down Sally – Rodeo man – Fools paradise – Cocaine – Double trouble – Nobody knows you when you’re down and out – Badge – Knocking on heaven’s door – Key to the highway – Layla – [unknown encore].
At 6:08 p.m. Champion Jack Dupree appeared on stage instead of the previously announced Sonny Terry & Brownie McGhee. He appeared to be drunk and played soporific blues numbers together with a stand-up bassist and a guitarist. I still appreciated Wine wine but his version of What’d I say was so terrible that I wondered why the audience (obviously turned on by Eric Clapton) joined in.
Again I prepared the tape recorder. All of a sudden Bob Dylan appeared on stage which looked like the Max Greger big band [a very popular German big band at the time] because of the many musicians. The tape recorder did not work during the first song from the new LP Street Legal because I had inserted the battery the wrong way round. Three female ‘doo-wop’ backing singers improved the sound. Bob Dylan’s vocal microphone was so overdriven that my adjusting displays went into the red area when he sang, and my chest was vibrating. He played almost only his old hits, among others A hard rain’s gonna fall which impressed me very much because he played it solo on the acoustic guitar while the sun went down. Besides that, he played the obligatory Blowin‘ in the wind, All along the watchtower, which besides Like a rolling stone was received best by the audience, and many songs which I did not know. Some of the old hits were alienated, for instance as a reggae. Suddenly, during Just like a woman, Peter seized the tape recorder and ran away. At first I didn’t realize what happened but he told me that security people had appeared. I didn’t know if he was right. In the audience some people were lighting torches, and some even burnt fireworks.

Commentary, January 2017:

The diary entry ends here. Peter was eager to leave the Zeppelinfeld before the end of the concert. Therefore we went out of the area and left Nuremberg well before the others, and behind us we saw the fireworks which closed the concert. But unfortunately I missed my favourite song Forever young and the encore The times they are a’changin’ with Eric Clapton on guitar.
My recordings were pretty good because I had used an Uher tape recorder and Sennheiser stereo microphones which I hung from the parapet. This reduced the audience banter so the sound is rather clear but due to the sound problems mentioned the voices of Marcy Levy and Bob Dylan are overdriven. For the told reasons the recording starts with Dylan’s second song, and you can hear us escaping during Just like a woman. When I went down near the stage I saw another guy recording with a tape recorder and stereo microphones. But according to the Eric Clapton databases a bootleg of his Nuremberg concert has never turned up so I think that my recording is supposed to be one of the few ones in existence. However, one song is interrupted because I had to change the tape reel, and the encore is missing for unknown reasons. For me it is a private aural souvenir. Meanwhile, various Bob Dylan bootlegs have turned up, some of which are better than my recordings. Still, I remember it as a juvenile adventure rather than an attempt to ‘steal’ the music.
Today I remember the concert as a highlight of my youth, I remember Dylan’s performance much stronger than back then, and to this day I really like the Budokan album as an aural souvenir of the 1978 tour. For me, it stands alongside Before the flood, even though Bob Dylan fans might consider that a heresy. But I find it fascinating to listen to certain songs in two completely deifferernt arrangement. However, I hope that Bob Dylan will release the Nuremberg recording if he has a soundboard recording.

This text was translated from the diary of Eberhard Fritz and may not be reproduced or cited without mentioning his name. It represents his individual view from 1978 when he was 20.
Copyright (German text) 1978 by Eberhard Fritz
Copyright (English translation) 2017 by Eberhard Fritz
This report is dedicated to the femory of Fritz Rau, the gentle organizer of the Nuremberg festival.

PostPosted: Fri December 29th, 2017, 11:20 GMT 

http://dylanstubs.com/POSTERS/posters1970/P1978_0701.jpg

PostPosted: Sun April 22nd, 2018, 17:53 GMT 
Promethium Member

Have fun reminiscing tonight, with Bob in town.

PostPosted: Mon June 11th, 2018, 17:53 GMT 

Good sound !
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UeRM7Cwz-lE

PostPosted: Mon June 11th, 2018, 18:00 GMT 

PostPosted: Mon June 11th, 2018, 18:10 GMT 

PostPosted: Mon June 11th, 2018, 18:13 GMT 

michael curtius wrote:

It's images like these, the information on that setlist, not to mention the recording of that concert, that brings it home that there's really nobody in his field to touch this man. But, my goodness, I feel old. Thank you.

PostPosted: Mon June 11th, 2018, 18:20 GMT 
Titanium Member

Good you’re going there, but show the pics from that time too

PostPosted: Mon June 11th, 2018, 18:25 GMT 

"... will never forget "... great evening

PostPosted: Mon June 11th, 2018, 18:28 GMT 
Titanium Member

I mean...; https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuremberg_Rally

etc

PostPosted: Mon June 11th, 2018, 18:37 GMT 

effort wrote:

Bob didn´t want to play there, but Fritz Rau the promoter of the concert convinced him -
just to give the place a new meaning with this concert. Bob spoke before "Masters Of War":
"Thank you. That was a new song. This is an old one. Not really new. It gives me great pleasure to sing it in this place! "

Interview with Fritz Rau
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqdvW6Ys13Y

Bob hitchhiked in 1963 through Europe. So he attended the American Folk Blues Festival - Concert
in Kopenhagen. There he saw some of the American Blues legends for the first time.

When Fritz Rau met Bob in Los Angeles in 1978 , Bob first wanted to speak about that concert in
Kopenhagen .

"Fritz Rau is negotiating the tour with Dylan's new manager, Jerry Weintraub, in Los Angeles. Weintraub invites him for dinner at his house where he meets Dylan for the first time:
"Now we're invited to Weintraubs', and suddenly Bob Dylan enters the room.
Knowing his reputation of being rather taciturn, I wonder: What is he going to say? Probably he'll inquire about the tour deal again.
Nothing in that vein: 'Fritz, I wanna talk to you about the American Folk Blues Festival of 1963.'
During that year, by no means a super-star yet, he had hitchhiked through Europe and attended the
Blues Festival concert in Copenhagen. There, for the first time, he had been able to listen to blues artists live onstage whom he had hitherto only known as far away silhouettes.
He immediately starts a discussion whether it had been wise back then to start the concert with Sonny Boy Williamson's tiny blues harp. I was more concerned about the Dylan million-Dollar-tour and moved on to that as soon as possible.

I told him that we had planned concerts for Westfalenhalle in Dortmund, Deutschlandhalle in Berlin and for Zeppelinfeld, Nuremberg , formerly known as 'Reichsparteitagsgelaende'.
Dylan shakes his head: 'I think, Nuremberg is the wrong place.' And then he talks of Leni Riefenstahl and her film 'Triumph of the Will', of Albert Speer and his gigantomaniac architecture. He knew all of this and what 'Reichsparteitagsgelaende' stands for.
He ponders, and I realize that it is a tough decision for him. Suddenly, he smiles and nods. He instinctively understood why we wanted him to appear at that very location." (p. 209)

PostPosted: Mon June 11th, 2018, 18:39 GMT 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_j829GLYM7c

PostPosted: Mon June 11th, 2018, 18:40 GMT 
Titanium Member

:) that’s it

PostPosted: Sun July 1st, 2018, 20:18 GMT 

Today ---- 40 years

Greet ya all - been there ...

Carolyn Dennis performing "A Change Is Gonna Come" that concert in 1978,
Bob announces her.
https://soundcloud.com/mozambique13-1/a-change-is-gonna-come

PostPosted: Mon July 2nd, 2018, 02:19 GMT 
Promethium Member

Glad you were there Michael.
How close to the stage did you get?
That’s a crazy lotta people!

PostPosted: Mon July 2nd, 2018, 03:01 GMT 
Titanium Member

Mickvet wrote:
michael curtius wrote:

It's images like these, the information on that setlist, not to mention the recording of that concert, that brings it home that there's really nobody in his field to touch this man. But, my goodness, I feel old. Thank you.

If ego is the measure of the man, then there you go.

PostPosted: Mon July 2nd, 2018, 09:17 GMT 

Still Go Barefoot wrote:
Glad you were there Michael.
How close to the stage did you get?
That’s a crazy lotta people!

About 30 m. No problem to get some space -remember been dancing on a summers evening.