Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Mon August 20th, 2018, 03:18 GMT

All times are UTC




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 320 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Narrow Way Fan Club
PostPosted: Mon September 9th, 2013, 20:26 GMT 
Titanium Member
User avatar

Joined: Fri December 9th, 2011, 00:25 GMT
Posts: 6724
It's my favourite from the album, and it is a long and narrow song, which is good.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Narrow Way Fan Club
PostPosted: Mon September 9th, 2013, 20:37 GMT 

Joined: Fri July 18th, 2008, 16:22 GMT
Posts: 4280
Love his vocal on this track- it glides and churns in equal measure and to great effect.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Narrow Way Fan Club
PostPosted: Mon September 9th, 2013, 20:40 GMT 
Promethium Member
User avatar

Joined: Fri February 22nd, 2008, 18:40 GMT
Posts: 17132
Location: TURD OVEN
Anyone buying my theory?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Narrow Way Fan Club
PostPosted: Mon September 9th, 2013, 22:21 GMT 

Joined: Fri January 5th, 2007, 23:38 GMT
Posts: 2166
Location: Ireland
Harry Truman wrote:
Anyone buying my theory?


No, wrong religion. Dylan dismissed "the sound of one hand clapping" many moons ago. :)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Narrow Way Fan Club
PostPosted: Tue September 10th, 2013, 10:44 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Tue November 22nd, 2011, 02:56 GMT
Posts: 1830
Location: Whorehouse in Buenos Aires
One of the most enjoyable numbers on the record, the "Lonesome Day Blues" of "Tempest".


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Narrow Way Fan Club
PostPosted: Tue September 10th, 2013, 14:22 GMT 
Promethium Member
User avatar

Joined: Fri February 22nd, 2008, 18:40 GMT
Posts: 17132
Location: TURD OVEN
Mickvet wrote:
Harry Truman wrote:
Anyone buying my theory?


No, wrong religion. Dylan dismissed "the sound of one hand clapping" many moons ago. :)


:roll: He also was a Christian Fundamentalist for a time, though I doubt that still applies.

"I'm gonna walk across the desert 'til I'm in my right mind.
I won't even think about what I left behind
Nothing back there anyway that I can call my own"

That sounds to me like a guy on a Path to Liberation.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Narrow Way Fan Club
PostPosted: Tue September 10th, 2013, 14:31 GMT 
Promethium Member
User avatar

Joined: Fri February 22nd, 2008, 18:40 GMT
Posts: 17132
Location: TURD OVEN
Clearly, the language of the Bible still provides imagery in your songs.
Of course, what else could there be? I believe in the Book of Revelation. I believe in disclosure, you know? There's truth in all books. In some kind of way. Confucius, Sun Tzu, Marcus Aurelius, the Koran, the Torah, the New Testament, the Buddhist sutras, the Bhagavad-Gita, the Egyptian Book of the Dead, and many thousands more. You can't go through life without reading some kind of book.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/ ... z2eV52qIp6


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Narrow Way Fan Club
PostPosted: Tue September 10th, 2013, 15:53 GMT 

Joined: Fri January 5th, 2007, 23:38 GMT
Posts: 2166
Location: Ireland
Harry Truman wrote:
Clearly, the language of the Bible still provides imagery in your songs.
Of course, what else could there be? I believe in the Book of Revelation. I believe in disclosure, you know? There's truth in all books. In some kind of way. Confucius, Sun Tzu, Marcus Aurelius, the Koran, the Torah, the New Testament, the Buddhist sutras, the Bhagavad-Gita, the Egyptian Book of the Dead, and many thousands more. You can't go through life without reading some kind of book.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/ ... z2eV52qIp6


Of course, what Dylan says is true, but he probably considers some books to contain more truth than others.

Still, I'd say there's no question he is still on the path to the Truth that makes you free:

"We looted and we plundered on distant shores
Why is my share not equal to yours?
Your father left you, your mother too
Even death has washed his hands of you
It's a long road, it's a long and narrow way
If I can't work up to you, you'll surely have to work down to me someday".

These lines can only refer to one Man.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Narrow Way Fan Club
PostPosted: Tue September 10th, 2013, 16:23 GMT 
Promethium Member
User avatar

Joined: Fri February 22nd, 2008, 18:40 GMT
Posts: 17132
Location: TURD OVEN
Also from the same RS article, Bob talks about Transmigration.

"Rebirth refers to a process whereby beings go through a succession of lifetimes as one of many possible forms of sentient life, each running from conception to death. Buddhism rejects the concepts of a permanent self or an unchanging, eternal soul, as it is called in Hinduism and Christianity. According to Buddhism there ultimately is no such thing as a self independent from the rest of the universe (the doctrine of anatta). Buddhists also refer to themselves as the believers of the anatta doctrine—Nairatmyavadin or Anattavadin. Rebirth in subsequent existences must be understood as the continuation of a dynamic, ever-changing process of "dependent arising" ("pratītyasamutpāda") determined by the laws of cause and effect (karma) rather than that of one being, transmigrating or incarnating from one existence to the next."


---------------------------

Hinayana, literally the narrow path, puts an emphasis on the enlightenment and liberation of the individual.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Narrow Way Fan Club
PostPosted: Tue September 10th, 2013, 19:23 GMT 

Joined: Fri January 5th, 2007, 23:38 GMT
Posts: 2166
Location: Ireland
Harry Truman wrote:
Also from the same RS article, Bob talks about Transmigration.

"Rebirth refers to a process whereby beings go through a succession of lifetimes as one of many possible forms of sentient life, each running from conception to death. Buddhism rejects the concepts of a permanent self or an unchanging, eternal soul, as it is called in Hinduism and Christianity. According to Buddhism there ultimately is no such thing as a self independent from the rest of the universe (the doctrine of anatta). Buddhists also refer to themselves as the believers of the anatta doctrine—Nairatmyavadin or Anattavadin. Rebirth in subsequent existences must be understood as the continuation of a dynamic, ever-changing process of "dependent arising" ("pratītyasamutpāda") determined by the laws of cause and effect (karma) rather than that of one being, transmigrating or incarnating from one existence to the next."


---------------------------

Hinayana, literally the narrow path, puts an emphasis on the enlightenment and liberation of the individual.


Mr Dylan is very well read on many subjects, but you can't open your mind to every conceivable point of view. Leonard Cohen lived in a Buddhist monastery for a number of years, but has quite explicitly explained that he didn't go in looking for a religion, because he already had one; he went in search of a different way of thinking in order to help his depression, and found it quite helpful. He didn't convert, though. I regard Dylan's exposition upon transmigration, transfiguration and so forth to Rolling Stone as a wind-up, a taking the piss. He doesn't like those people.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Narrow Way Fan Club
PostPosted: Tue September 10th, 2013, 20:23 GMT 
Promethium Member
User avatar

Joined: Fri February 22nd, 2008, 18:40 GMT
Posts: 17132
Location: TURD OVEN
He doesn't like Rolling Stone or Buddhists? Or Dylanologists?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Narrow Way Fan Club
PostPosted: Tue September 10th, 2013, 20:53 GMT 
Promethium Member
User avatar

Joined: Sat October 27th, 2007, 12:44 GMT
Posts: 17300
Location: Workin' as a postal clerk
Mickvet wrote:
Harry Truman wrote:
Clearly, the language of the Bible still provides imagery in your songs.
Of course, what else could there be? I believe in the Book of Revelation. I believe in disclosure, you know? There's truth in all books. In some kind of way. Confucius, Sun Tzu, Marcus Aurelius, the Koran, the Torah, the New Testament, the Buddhist sutras, the Bhagavad-Gita, the Egyptian Book of the Dead, and many thousands more. You can't go through life without reading some kind of book.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/ ... z2eV52qIp6


Of course, what Dylan says is true, but he probably considers some books to contain more truth than others.

Still, I'd say there's no question he is still on the path to the Truth that makes you free:

"We looted and we plundered on distant shores
Why is my share not equal to yours?
Your father left you, your mother too
Even death has washed his hands of you
It's a long road, it's a long and narrow way
If I can't work up to you, you'll surely have to work down to me someday".

These lines can only refer to one Man.


How does the looting and plundering and the shares not being equal refer to that Man?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Narrow Way Fan Club
PostPosted: Tue September 10th, 2013, 22:06 GMT 

Joined: Fri January 5th, 2007, 23:38 GMT
Posts: 2166
Location: Ireland
^
That Man looted and plundered all over the world for souls. Dylan is comparing his own life-history of concert-touring and how his numbers of followers don't match up, qualitatively or quantitatively.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Narrow Way Fan Club
PostPosted: Tue September 10th, 2013, 22:13 GMT 
Promethium Member
User avatar

Joined: Sat October 27th, 2007, 12:44 GMT
Posts: 17300
Location: Workin' as a postal clerk
Interesting. I'll have to give that some thought. I know he has quite an ego but I didn't know it was so extreme that he would wonder why Jesus Christ Himself gets more converts. Could be, though, anything is possible.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Narrow Way Fan Club
PostPosted: Tue September 10th, 2013, 22:19 GMT 

Joined: Fri January 5th, 2007, 23:38 GMT
Posts: 2166
Location: Ireland
Harry Truman wrote:
He doesn't like Rolling Stone or Buddhists? Or Dylanologists?


I didn't say at any stage he does or doesn't like Buddhists. Just because he isn't one doesn't imply any such thing. As regards Dylanologists, I've not read much directly about them that expresses any particular animosity on the part of Dylan unless you include that nut, his name eludes me, that went through his bins. He certainly seems on good terms with Greil Marcus nowadays. There is no doubt in my mind that Dylan has been very frosty in his recent Rolling Stone interviews. Rolling Stone tries to manipulate him towards their own agenda, which he simply doesn't share. For example, Jan Wenner's attempt to haul Dylan onto his global warming bandwagon, to which Dylan replied, and I paraphrase, 'what global warming, it's freezing in here?' Not to mention the attempt to get him to endorse Obama.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Narrow Way Fan Club
PostPosted: Tue September 10th, 2013, 22:21 GMT 

Joined: Fri January 5th, 2007, 23:38 GMT
Posts: 2166
Location: Ireland
smoke wrote:
Interesting. I'll have to give that some thought. I know he has quite an ego but I didn't know it was so extreme that he would wonder why Jesus Christ Himself gets more converts. Could be, though, anything is possible.


This isn't ego, it's irony. He is comparing his own number of followers, considerable enough in themselves, to illustrate how paltry they are for emphasis.

Later in the song Dylan sings in praise of all the souls that are "tryin' to get to heaven":

"You got too many lovers wailing at the wall
If I had a thousand tongues, I couldn't count them all"


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Narrow Way Fan Club
PostPosted: Wed September 11th, 2013, 01:04 GMT 
Promethium Member
User avatar

Joined: Fri July 15th, 2011, 02:23 GMT
Posts: 22558
I saw you drinking from an empty cup...
I saw you buried... and I saw you dug up...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Narrow Way Fan Club
PostPosted: Wed September 11th, 2013, 01:31 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Mon March 27th, 2006, 07:16 GMT
Posts: 1761
Harry Truman wrote:
Also from the same RS article, Bob talks about Transmigration.

"Rebirth refers to a process whereby beings go through a succession of lifetimes as one of many possible forms of sentient life, each running from conception to death. Buddhism rejects the concepts of a permanent self or an unchanging, eternal soul, as it is called in Hinduism and Christianity. According to Buddhism there ultimately is no such thing as a self independent from the rest of the universe (the doctrine of anatta). Buddhists also refer to themselves as the believers of the anatta doctrine—Nairatmyavadin or Anattavadin. Rebirth in subsequent existences must be understood as the continuation of a dynamic, ever-changing process of "dependent arising" ("pratītyasamutpāda") determined by the laws of cause and effect (karma) rather than that of one being, transmigrating or incarnating from one existence to the next."


---------------------------

Hinayana, literally the narrow path, puts an emphasis on the enlightenment and liberation of the individual.


Actually, he was talking about transfiguration, a completely different thing. If I remember right I think he himself made the distinction between the two in the interview.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Narrow Way Fan Club
PostPosted: Wed September 11th, 2013, 01:38 GMT 
Mercury Member
User avatar

Joined: Wed September 14th, 2011, 13:25 GMT
Posts: 12327
Location: Wherever I am welcome
You are correct, Johnnie Ray.

[When you talk about] transfiguration, you mean it in the sense of being transformed? Or do you mean transmigration, when a soul passes into a different body?

Transmigration is not what we are talking about. This is something else. I had a motorcycle accident in 1966… Now, you can put this together any way you want. You can work on it any way you want. Transfiguration: You can go learn about it from the Catholic Church, you can learn about it in some old mystical books, but it’s a real concept. It’s happened throughout the ages. Nobody knows who it’s happened to, or why. But you get real proof of it here and there. It’s not like something you can dream up and think. It’s not like conjuring up a reality or like incarnation–or like when you might think you’re somebody from the past but have no proof. It’s not anything to do with the past or the future.

So when you ask some of your questions, you’re asking them to a person who’s long dead. You’re asking them to a person that doesn’t exist. But people make that mistake about me all the time…


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Narrow Way Fan Club
PostPosted: Wed September 11th, 2013, 07:47 GMT 

Joined: Fri January 5th, 2007, 23:38 GMT
Posts: 2166
Location: Ireland
raging_glory wrote:
You are correct, Johnnie Ray.

[When you talk about] transfiguration, you mean it in the sense of being transformed? Or do you mean transmigration, when a soul passes into a different body?

Transmigration is not what we are talking about. This is something else. I had a motorcycle accident in 1966… Now, you can put this together any way you want. You can work on it any way you want. Transfiguration: You can go learn about it from the Catholic Church, you can learn about it in some old mystical books, but it’s a real concept. It’s happened throughout the ages. Nobody knows who it’s happened to, or why. But you get real proof of it here and there. It’s not like something you can dream up and think. It’s not like conjuring up a reality or like incarnation–or like when you might think you’re somebody from the past but have no proof. It’s not anything to do with the past or the future.

So when you ask some of your questions, you’re asking them to a person who’s long dead. You’re asking them to a person that doesn’t exist. But people make that mistake about me all the time…


Not much ambiguity there.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Narrow Way Fan Club
PostPosted: Wed September 11th, 2013, 14:08 GMT 
Promethium Member
User avatar

Joined: Fri February 22nd, 2008, 18:40 GMT
Posts: 17132
Location: TURD OVEN
1) I am now a proud member of the Narrow Way fan club
2) The quote that stuck with me pertains to the Pure Land Tradition in Buddhism where there is a River of Fire and a River of Water with a narrow path to be follow by people interested in awakening the true self. Those following the narrow path work toward the true self. The two rivers represent human greed, ignorance, and blind passion. The lyrics of Narrow Ways illustrate (MAYBE!) greed, ignorance, and blind passion and the struggle with those issues.

Or not.

It is possible that the song itself is just a bunch of verses that imply deeper meaning but are not consistent enough in any context to do more than suggest depth and a higher meaning.

That same interview in Rolling Stone also brushes on Bob's thoughts on other people's greed and jealousy of his accomplishments and process and we could look at that as the two rivers that Bob is avoiding while walking the Narrow Way.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Narrow Way Fan Club
PostPosted: Thu September 12th, 2013, 00:53 GMT 
Promethium Member
User avatar

Joined: Fri July 15th, 2011, 02:23 GMT
Posts: 22558
Harry Truman wrote:
1) I am now a proud member of the Narrow Way fan club
2) The quote that stuck with me pertains to the Pure Land Tradition in Buddhism where there is a River of Fire and a River of Water with a narrow path to be follow by people interested in awakening the true self. Those following the narrow path work toward the true self. The two rivers represent human greed, ignorance, and blind passion. The lyrics of Narrow Ways illustrate (MAYBE!) greed, ignorance, and blind passion and the struggle with those issues.

Or not.

It is possible that the song itself is just a bunch of verses that imply deeper meaning but are not consistent enough in any context to do more than suggest depth and a higher meaning.

That same interview in Rolling Stone also brushes on Bob's thoughts on other people's greed and jealousy of his accomplishments and process and we could look at that as the two rivers that Bob is avoiding while walking the Narrow Way.

Congrats Truman!
If we can't work up to you, we'll surely work down to you someday.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Narrow Way Fan Club
PostPosted: Thu September 12th, 2013, 08:03 GMT 

Joined: Fri January 5th, 2007, 23:38 GMT
Posts: 2166
Location: Ireland
^
:)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Narrow Way Fan Club
PostPosted: Sat March 29th, 2014, 12:57 GMT 
Promethium Member
User avatar

Joined: Fri July 15th, 2011, 02:23 GMT
Posts: 22558
Let's see if Japan is worthy of Narrow Way's concert debut.

Please, Bob, please?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Narrow Way Fan Club
PostPosted: Sat March 29th, 2014, 13:05 GMT 

Joined: Mon January 9th, 2006, 09:01 GMT
Posts: 3332
Location: Manchester UK
Not a fan. Other than Granchester Meadows I don't really like any of the studio half of Ummagumma.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 320 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group