Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Wed October 17th, 2018, 01:47 GMT

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 96 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Wed May 1st, 2013, 13:02 GMT 
Promethium Member

I don't consider Early Roman Kings a "throwaway" song but I don't get the affection for it. Its the one song on Tempest that drags and the current performances night after night reveal Bob's enjoyment for playing it... but its the low spot of the show. It just doesn't shine the way the rest of the show does.

Comparisons have been made with Cry Awhile and that's not a bad comparison. But Early Roman Kings pales when in the presence of Cry Awhile. It simply doesn't stack up. However, if it were possible to turn the tables and imagine Early Roman Kings being released on Love and Theft in place of Cry Awhile, maybe it wouldn't seem like such a drag. I think its an exhausted and worn out blues thing or something.

PostPosted: Wed May 1st, 2013, 13:35 GMT 

Untrodden Path wrote:
I don't consider Early Roman Kings a "throwaway" song but I don't get the affection for it. Its the one song on Tempest that drags and the current performances night after night reveal Bob's enjoyment for playing it... but its the low spot of the show. It just doesn't shine the way the rest of the show does.

Comparisons have been made with Cry Awhile and that's not a bad comparison. But Early Roman Kings pales when in the presence of Cry Awhile. It simply doesn't stack up. However, if it were possible to turn the tables and imagine Early Roman Kings being released on Love and Theft in place of Cry Awhile, maybe it wouldn't seem like such a drag. I think its an exhausted and worn out blues thing or something.

I think Bob loves this song because it possesses a very powerful underlying meaning, of great relevance to The Times and which neatly punctuates what I like to think to myself as 'side 1' of Tempest. If only I could figure out what it is...

PostPosted: Wed May 1st, 2013, 13:44 GMT 

Ha, ha! I just knew it! Early Roman has become a staple of his setlists. Classic Mod Bob: pick the worst songs from the latest album and play them to death live (Tweedle Dee, Levvee, Jolene, ERK etc)! You gotta love the man! :lol:

That said, though I kinda have lost interest in Bob's live efforts lately, I heard a show recently that was actually quite good, careful phrasing and a lot more interesting arrangements.

No ERK in that show, though...

PostPosted: Wed May 1st, 2013, 16:47 GMT 
Titanium Member

its Unamerican to Dis Early Roman Kings. or Rolling and Tumblin.
:D

PostPosted: Wed May 1st, 2013, 22:00 GMT 
Titanium Member

They're all good except Tweedle Dee which I never cared for. The best one is Rolling and Tumblin. Because it's fun. It's one of Bob's most fun songs ever. And when it comes to music, there is nothing wrong with having a little fun sometimes. :wink:

PostPosted: Thu May 2nd, 2013, 03:16 GMT 

Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dum would be a fan favorite if it hadn't been played to death. The song doesn't work well live and I've only ever heard a few performances of it that weren't really flat.

Good "filler blues": Dirt Road Blues, Lonesome Day Blues. Bad: the stuff on Modern Times.

Early Roman Kings is fine except for the title/"refrain", which strikes me as highly contrived and really kinda ruins it for me.

PostPosted: Thu May 2nd, 2013, 05:12 GMT 
Titanium Member

Other than "Dirt Road Blues," the blues songs of his later career are lame. He's not especially talented when it comes to blues. Someone said that 'it's all about delivery.' I agree. And as far as what a great, nuanced vocalist he once was (and still is on rare occasions - listen to "Po' Boy") since TOOM, there are a lot of lazy or bad vocal performances - especially the 'throwaway' blues numbers. Combine that with the uninspired writing of most of the 'throwaway' blues being discussed here and it's zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. Bob liking the blues isn't the same thing as the genre being a good fit for him. "He has a real feeling for the blues" - hey, whoever wrote that, how many great blues musicians have you seen live? The blues fit some performers, like Clapton or the Stones, like a glove. Bob's not one of them.

PostPosted: Thu May 2nd, 2013, 15:15 GMT 

Well Goombay I'm not Amerian so I can say boldly that they are both crap. He hasn't even got the decency to say " Rollin and Tumbling" - Traditional arranged by Bob Dylan.

PostPosted: Thu May 2nd, 2013, 15:31 GMT 
Titanium Member

Tweedles
Lonesome Day Blues
Cry A While
Rollin' and Tumblin'
Someday Baby (MT take)
Levee
My Wife's Hometown
Jolene
Shake Shake Mama

all terrific, earth shattering tracks. gonna playlist them asap. :D

any Dissing of the above would not only be Unamerican but would show a distinctive lack of musicology. lack of musicology has been hampering dylanology for many many years. :shock:

PostPosted: Thu May 2nd, 2013, 23:16 GMT 

goombay wrote:
Tweedles
Lonesome Day Blues
Cry A While
Rollin' and Tumblin'
Someday Baby (MT take)
Levee
My Wife's Hometown
Jolene
Shake Shake Mama

any Dissing of the above would not only be Unamerican but would show a distinctive lack of musicology. lack of musicology has been hampering dylanology for many many years. :shock:

I have no musicology (whatever that is) they are all crap.

PostPosted: Thu May 2nd, 2013, 23:36 GMT 

Oh, and one of my bestist friends is Britains top Dylanologist. (So there)

PostPosted: Thu May 2nd, 2013, 23:58 GMT 

arthurprecarious wrote:

Hotly contested title. How's his status anxiety?

PostPosted: Fri May 3rd, 2013, 00:33 GMT 
Titanium Member

a shout out to Modern Times, one of Bobs best pinnacles. just amazing art by bob. :D

PostPosted: Fri May 3rd, 2013, 00:46 GMT 

goombay wrote:
Tweedles
Lonesome Day Blues
Cry A While
Rollin' and Tumblin'
Someday Baby (MT take)
Levee
My Wife's Hometown
Jolene
Shake Shake Mama

Well, I don't know. I'm neither musicologically or dylanologically expert, but they're mostly all enjoyable if you're in the right mood.
I think the TTL tracks drag a bit for me. Though I think Shake Shake is funny as is My Wife's Hometown.
But I enjoy the hell out of Cry A While and Lonesome Day Blues. Both a hoot.
As for ERK, the title's almost the best part, and I say that as someone who enjoys the song occasionally.

PostPosted: Fri May 3rd, 2013, 00:56 GMT 
Titanium Member

Raise up your jelly jars filled with Bourbon (only bourbon the all american drink) and offer up a toast to Bob, the Blues and all the great American Music. Blues run the game ane we invented it right here in the USA. :D

PostPosted: Fri May 3rd, 2013, 13:45 GMT 

reydeltontos wrote:
arthurprecarious wrote:

I don't know what status anxiety is. My mate has been on the BBC and under his name it said "Dylanologist" so it must be true.

PostPosted: Fri May 3rd, 2013, 13:52 GMT 
Titanium Member

goombay wrote:
Raise up your jelly jars filled with Bourbon (only bourbon the all american drink) and offer up a toast to Bob, the Blues and all the great American Music. Blues run the game ane we invented it right here in the USA. :D

Yes, us American's apparently have everything, even music about how unhappy we are.

PostPosted: Fri May 3rd, 2013, 15:10 GMT 
Titanium Member

Quote:
[quote="reydeltontos"

LOLLLLL right you are sir. LOL every single dylanologist think they are the top dylanologist when in reality nobody has heard of this particular champ or anybody else. down here there is a radio station on bob birthday they got a show where every year they got a top; dylanologist talking nonsense on the radio. sometimes i call up and confuse them with made up facts LOLL

Lambchop is the only name that rings a bell as to the top British dylanologist all them other peeps are sad wannabees. :D

mention Lambchop and they all get in a defensive frenzy about it LOL

Last edited by goombay on Fri May 3rd, 2013, 15:13 GMT, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri May 3rd, 2013, 15:11 GMT 
Titanium Member

goodnitesteve wrote:
goombay wrote:

Yes, us American's apparently have everything, even music about how unhappy we are.

that may be so, but at least when we get the blues we dont up and twirl around about it LOL :D

PostPosted: Fri May 3rd, 2013, 16:30 GMT 

Shows how much you really know Goombay. Lampchop was a fan, just went to a lot of shows, didn't profess to be anything more. He's dead now and may he rest in peace.

My mate is a real Dylanologist - writes books, been on TV, and he was the one who worked out that the 1966 Royal Albert Hall gig was actually at Manchester. So there.

PostPosted: Fri May 3rd, 2013, 16:54 GMT 
Titanium Member

the TOP dylanologist is made by acclamation from the people not from being self appointed. once you are at the top, like Lambchop, then the lesser lights lash out at you.
that was has happened. lesser, unknown luminaries have their buddies tear up a great man to rise their cronies.
Bob himself, the ultimate authority gave Lampchop his blessing and approval. security would have been the outcome of these other so called dylanologists.
they carry on about some byzantine fact and pretend they discovered white cheddar when everybody had known for many many years. they are rendered to write in fanzine with buzzy articles and pamphlets nobody can understand. :shock:

now, doing a uturn back onto the blues. the blues is a domain of the USA. without all the great artists here in the USA there would not have been this music thing. :D :D

PostPosted: Fri May 3rd, 2013, 18:45 GMT 

Goombay - you talk complete bollocks. I knew Lampchop. Just shut up

PostPosted: Fri May 3rd, 2013, 19:07 GMT 

Larry did not like all that Dylanology shite Goombay, he hated all that Dylanology type bollocks.
The bloke down the street who has been to one show and who loved it beyond words, is as much a Dylanologist as any of the nutters.
No disrespect to your mate Arthur. I suspect I've met him!

PostPosted: Fri May 3rd, 2013, 19:59 GMT 
Titanium Member

Lambchop was up and above all that dylanology stuff. thats what made him a true authority of these matters. :D nobody has heard of any of these individuals, maybe they are famous in their home because they pay the heating bill while everybody is out at the 'pub' LOLLLLLLLLLL
here in the USA AJ Weberman invented dylanology so there you go the chain of command LOOOOLLLLLLLL :D

i almost got banned for life here for calling dylanologists nutjobs so ADIOS , hasta la vista. :D suppose you may be a goner by the time i post, should you get the big tap on the shoulder, may you prosper and multiply in your new life... :D

PostPosted: Fri May 3rd, 2013, 20:15 GMT 

goombay wrote:
Lambchop was up and above all that dylanology stuff. thats what made him a true authority of these matters. :D nobody has heard of any of these individuals, maybe they are famous in their home because they pay the heating bill while everybody is out at the 'pub' LOLLLLLLLLLL
here in the USA AJ Weberman invented dylanology so there you go the chain of command LOOOOLLLLLLLL :D

i almost got banned for life here for calling dylanologists nutjobs so ADIOS , hasta la vista. :D suppose you may be a goner by the time i post LOLLLLLL.... :D

LOL WTF ROTFL LOL
LOL

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 96 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next