apparently there are a handful of dylan songs,
one is in the mouse-trap scene,
but i don't know which song,
i did read that both
*time out of mind*
and
*not dark yet*
are used but not in what context....

have any of you continental kids seen it?
does anybody have any info about
which songs are used and how?

PostPosted: Wed March 8th, 2017, 07:18 GMT 
Senior Moderator

This letter appeared in the Guardian the day after Michael Billington's generally favourable review of the production -

Quote:
• Michael Billington’s review of Hamlet at the Almeida (2 March) omits to mention Bob Dylan’s towering performance throughout the four hours. The Almeida’s brilliant sound engineers gave us a rendering of the lyrics clearer than I have ever known from Dylan in public. My only regret is that the programme did not include the full text of the songs so that we could all sing along to One More Cup of Coffee during the final curtain call.
Rob Hull
London

PostPosted: Wed March 8th, 2017, 09:51 GMT 

Shame - I first read the title of the thread as 'dylan in david icke's helmet', which would have been much more interesting.

PostPosted: Wed March 8th, 2017, 13:09 GMT 

McG wrote:
Shame - I first read the title of the thread as 'dylan in david icke's helmet', which would have been much more interesting.

:lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Wed March 8th, 2017, 17:20 GMT 

^ the reviews do seem mixed

and thanks, charlesdarwin
charlesdarwin wrote:
This letter appeared in the Guardian the day after Michael Billington's generally favourable review of the production -

Quote:
• Michael Billington’s review of Hamlet at the Almeida (2 March) omits to mention Bob Dylan’s towering performance throughout the four hours. The Almeida’s brilliant sound engineers gave us a rendering of the lyrics clearer than I have ever known from Dylan in public. My only regret is that the programme did not include the full text of the songs so that we could all sing along to One More Cup of Coffee during the final curtain call.
Rob Hull
London
*one more cup of coffee*
was mentioned in the times article i saw earlier in the week
http://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/theat ... -ldzwkhlbv
i had forgotten that one, though

PostPosted: Fri March 10th, 2017, 10:19 GMT 

I've seen it. It is an astounding Hamlet for our times with a towering performance from Andrew Scott in the title role. I've seen a few Hamlets over the years and this was maybe the best. Bob Dylan's music is used a several times and and serves to highlight the underlying motivations of the characters and to comment on the action - songs used include One More Cup of Coffee early on, Spirit on the Water (the Claudius and Gertrude post wedding bit), One Too Many Mornings, Up to Me, Watchtower (as Hamlet faces up to what is going to happen), Not Dark Yet (as Hamlet hurtles towards the climax). Things Have Changed also plays in the interval - by which point things have certainly changed for the protagonist. I think that was it but I may have missed one. It worked amazingly well.

PostPosted: Fri March 10th, 2017, 10:26 GMT 
Senior Moderator

^ Great to hear. Thanks for reporting back

PostPosted: Fri March 10th, 2017, 13:38 GMT 

sugartramp wrote:
I've seen it. It is an astounding Hamlet for our times with a towering performance from Andrew Scott in the title role. I've seen a few Hamlets over the years and this was maybe the best. Bob Dylan's music is used a several times and and serves to highlight the underlying motivations of the characters and to comment on the action - songs used include One More Cup of Coffee early on, Spirit on the Water (the Claudius and Gertrude post wedding bit), One Too Many Mornings, Up to Me, Watchtower (as Hamlet faces up to what is going to happen), Not Dark Yet (as Hamlet hurtles towards the climax). Things Have Changed also plays in the interval - by which point things have certainly changed for the protagonist. I think that was it but I may have missed one. It worked amazingly well.
aye, you rock, thanks
they're saying that
no broadcast is planned at this time
but check back for further updates,
so, maybe

PostPosted: Thu March 16th, 2017, 15:27 GMT 
Senior Moderator

In today's TLS there is a long duel review of Hamlet at the Almeida and Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead at the Old Vic (great pic featuring Daniel Radcliffe as Rosencrantz at the Old Vic Harry Potter fans). The review is headlined, "There must be some way out of here" sub-headed "The music of chance: Tom Stoppard, Shakespeare and Bob Dylan".

John Stokes spends a lot of his favourable review musing about the use of Bob Dylan songs in Hamlet, he writes at one point, "The immediate issue, though, is whether there can be room on a single stage for two writers of "literary" stature but conrasting timbre. Do we hear those well known lyrics as annotations, corroborations, or alternatives, more or less ironical?" He goes into some depth about his reactions to certain lines, Dylan's and Shakespeare's.

Stokes concludes his review by saying "In the later moments of their plays both Shakespeare and Stoppard let events collide in a slow race towards death." He goes on to write about the Beckettian as well as the autumnal Shakesperian echoes in Rosencrantz and Guildenstern, ""A certain browness at the edges of the day ... brown is creeping up on us" remarks Guidenstern. We might if we have Icke's Hamlet still playing in our ears, choose to hear that note as Dylanesque: "It's not dark yet, but it's getting there.""

PostPosted: Thu March 16th, 2017, 16:41 GMT 

charlesdarwin wrote:
In today's TLS there is a long duel review of Hamlet at the Almeida and Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead at the Old Vic (great pic featuring Daniel Radcliffe as Rosencrantz at the Old Vic Harry Potter fans). The review is headlined, "There must be some way out of here" sub-headed "The music of chance: Tom Stoppard, Shakespeare and Bob Dylan".

John Stokes spends a lot of his favourable review musing about the use of Bob Dylan songs in Hamlet, he writes at one point, "The immediate issue, though, is whether there can be room on a single stage for two writers of "literary" stature but conrasting timbre. Do we hear those well known lyrics as annotations, corroborations, or alternatives, more or less ironical?" He goes into some depth about his reactions to certain lines, Dylan's and Shakespeare's.

Stokes concludes his review by saying "In the later moments of their plays both Shakespeare and Stoppard let events collide in a slow race towards death." He goes on to write about the Beckettian as well as the autumnal Shakesperian echoes in Rosencrantz and Guildenstern, ""A certain browness at the edges of the day ... brown is creeping up on us" remarks Guidenstern. We might if we have Icke's Hamlet still playing in our ears, choose to hear that note as Dylanesque: "It's not dark yet, but it's getting there.""

Is a duel review to the death?

PostPosted: Thu March 16th, 2017, 18:42 GMT 

charlesdarwin wrote:

nice,
thanks again, charlesdarwin
http://www.the-tls.co.uk/articles/priva ... bob-dylan/

PostPosted: Thu March 16th, 2017, 18:43 GMT 
Senior Moderator

McG wrote:
charlesdarwin wrote:

Is a duel review to the death?

Dual, okay? :wink:

PostPosted: Mon December 11th, 2017, 19:40 GMT 

Just seen that this was recorded by the BBC and will be broadcast some time in 2018 0n BBC 2

https://almeida.co.uk/hamlet-bbc-broadcast

PostPosted: Mon December 11th, 2017, 23:00 GMT 

thank you

excellent

PostPosted: Mon March 26th, 2018, 13:12 GMT 

This is due to be broadcast on BBC 2 on Saturday 30th at 21:00 hours

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b09yj7dz

PostPosted: Mon March 26th, 2018, 13:30 GMT 

yanbupete wrote:
This is due to be broadcast on BBC 2 on Saturday 30th at 21:00 hours

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b09yj7dz

sweet