Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Tue November 20th, 2018, 15:20 GMT

All times are UTC

Post subject: German press (Stern)
PostPosted: Mon September 16th, 2013, 11:17 GMT 

http://www.stern.de/kultur/musik/john-c ... 57740.html

short interview with photographer Cohen about the pics now released on bootleg 10, and will be printed soon in a book, too.

Post subject: Re: German press (Stern)
PostPosted: Mon September 16th, 2013, 11:25 GMT 
Promethium Member

Baker's son wrote:
will be printed soon in a book, too.

He mentions Steidl, which is a German publisher. Certainly it can't be just a book for the German market? Anyone hear anything about other publications?

Post subject: Re: German press (Stern)
PostPosted: Mon September 16th, 2013, 12:47 GMT 

English translation:

Mr. Cohen, you are 81 years old. Do you remember the year 1970 when you photographed Bob Dylan?

Of course, it was at the beginning of the year, not yet spring, you can see that in the photos. I had Dylan photographed several times and was asked to take more pictures.

Where the recordings took place?

On the site of my studio in Putnam Valley, New York. Right now, where we talk, I'm only a few feet away from the places where the photos were taken.

On some photos Bob Dylan looks pretty unhappy. The year 1970 was not a very easy for him. Dylan was tired of being the folk idol, wanted change and brought the highly controversial album "Self Portrait" full of sweet cover versions out.

We had no particular intention, no agenda in the recordings. We just took pictures. Do not rely on Dylan's face. His facial expressions could lead to a totally wrong track.

How was it that these pictures were forgotten for so long?

I photographed on slide film. The slides I have only just spotted after development and then handed over to Dylan's management. Once there, they disappeared in the archive. Only after more than 40 years turned the recordings back to light. What was a wonderful surprise when I saw her again after so long. Some slide that time I had only had seconds in my hands. Now the images are part of a CD box hanging in a gallery or in Steidl out as a book. Great!