Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Mon October 15th, 2018, 12:27 GMT

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon September 16th, 2013, 09:27 GMT 

Gazza63 wrote:
There was a 90 minute tape doing the rounds for two years before its release which consisted of about 18 unreleased songs which had been shortlisted for inclusion on the "proposed 5-LP set". It pretty much matched what they DID include in the end too - although a couple of the songs on the bootleg tape had little extras like a few seconds of pre-song dialogue here and there as I remember. It really was a revelation to hear stuff like Up to Me, Caribbean Wind and Abandoned Love for the first time. I recall getting it around the time 'Infidels' came out.

I still have the tape from 1984 but don't have a casette player at home. Listened hundred times till it's release and it must sound awful now.

Rainwater wrote:
I've never been a huge fan of Biograph, but it was one of the first ways I got into Dylan. ..... The title implies that it's a career-spanning retrospective, and I guess it is... sort of. The vinyl release shows that it was likely meant to be heard as thematic sides, but it's nothing short of a jumbled mess on CD.
The selections aren't awful, but how is "Masters of War" more worthy than "A Hard Rain's..." or "Don't Think Twice"? "Tombstone Blues" over "It Takes a Lot to Laugh", "Ballad of a Thin Man" and "Highway 61"? "Dear Landlord" over "As I Went Out One Morning", "I Dreamed I Saw St. Augustine" and "Frankie Lee and Judas Priest"? You get the idea. They seem to be there for the casuals to dig deeper, but the selections are spotty. So what's the point?

I loved it when it came out although I had all records and it was very expensive. The thematic Vinyl sides are sadly lost nowdays. Remember that the tracklisting and thematic sides were alone Bobs choice and there were great.
Regarding how many times he played Masters of war compared to Hard rain it seems that Bob always preferred Masters of war. It was his choice.
Also remember that it was a different listening experiment. Youn didn't skip tracks normally and you listen to the whole vinyls side although having most songs on the other Vinyls.
I liked it a lot. Nowdays I also would chance or skip some songs but 1985 it was just great and nobody of the die hard fans had any problem with the Greatest Hits. It was a different time.
But i must confess. I don't listen to Biograph anymore since years.

BTW: Dear Landlord: For me the best song from JWH