Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Sat September 22nd, 2018, 04:58 GMT

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 309 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13
PostPosted: Mon December 18th, 2017, 16:16 GMT 
Titanium Member

jman wrote:
Europeans obviously do not understand Dylan. How could they? They try to act like they appreciate him, but its all a farce.

Wow. Finally an expert has come forward with conclusive statements.
And your expertise is based on? Where do you live? I guess you are saying that the Europeans who say they appreciate Bob Dylan, they just think they do, but it's just an act, a farce, as you say. How does one develop such insight? The ability to read minds! Amazing.

PostPosted: Mon December 18th, 2017, 17:05 GMT 

chrome horse wrote:
jman wrote:
Europeans obviously do not understand Dylan. How could they? They try to act like they appreciate him, but its all a farce.

Wow. Finally an expert has come forward with conclusive statements.
And your expertise is based on? Where do you live? I guess you are saying that the Europeans who say they appreciate Bob Dylan, they just think they do, but it's just an act, a farce, as you say. How does one develop such insight? The ability to read minds! Amazing.

I think that comment by jman was meant ironically.

PostPosted: Sat December 23rd, 2017, 01:57 GMT 

Maybe we could start a poll. How many Europeans have ever headed straight for the Black Hills of Dakota after picking up their degree? Dylan didn't even want to wear the stupid gown. He was glad just to get out of their alive. Can a European understand that? How many have ever taken their potatoes down to be mashed?

PostPosted: Sat December 23rd, 2017, 02:36 GMT 

Correction to previous post

"Out of their alive" should have been "Out of there alive".

I wouldn't want to mislead anyone.

PostPosted: Sat December 23rd, 2017, 11:33 GMT 
Titanium Member

Ghost Of Lectricity wrote:
Maybe we could start a poll. How many Europeans have ever headed straight for the Black Hills of Dakota after picking up their degree? Dylan didn't even want to wear the stupid gown. He was glad just to get out of their alive. Can a European understand that? How many have ever taken their potatoes down to be mashed?

Ghost, in your bizarre attempt to be different, you are missing the whole point. NOBODY "understands" why Bob Dylan does what he does.
A guy who has been criticized his entire career for his voice, gets to the end of it, when it has really gone downhill, and decides to do covers of the greatest singer that ever lived - Frank Sinatra. This thread is about appreciation.

PostPosted: Sat December 23rd, 2017, 13:27 GMT 

chrome horse wrote:
Ghost Of Lectricity wrote:

Ghost, in your bizarre attempt to be different, you are missing the whole point. NOBODY "understands" why Bob Dylan does what he does.
A guy who has been criticized his entire career for his voice, gets to the end of it, when it has really gone downhill, and decides to do covers of the greatest singer that ever lived - Frank Sinatra. This thread is about appreciation.

Sinatra, 'the greatest singer that ever lived'? That's a very Americanistic statement (and I don't mean to denigrate Sinatra, who was indeed very great). We in Europe could counter with Pavarotti, for example, but perhaps that means we're both simply being Italianistic.

PostPosted: Sat December 23rd, 2017, 15:12 GMT 
Titanium Member

Mickvet wrote:
chrome horse wrote:

Sinatra, 'the greatest singer that ever lived'? That's a very Americanistic statement (and I don't mean to denigrate Sinatra, who was indeed very great). We in Europe could counter with Pavarotti, for example, but perhaps that means we're both simply being Italianistic.

You're right. That thought kind of went through my mind as I wrote that - the experts won't buy this! And again, the European finesse wins! Case closed - from around the corner!

PostPosted: Sat December 23rd, 2017, 17:35 GMT 

I never liked this my appreciation is bigger than your appreciation kind of stuff.....

PostPosted: Sat December 23rd, 2017, 17:47 GMT 
Promethium Member

chester drawers wrote:
I never liked this my appreciation is bigger than your appreciation kind of stuff.....

Most likely that’s due to having a higher appreciation of other things.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 309 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13