Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Tue August 14th, 2018, 11:06 GMT

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 542 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next
PostPosted: Fri January 18th, 2013, 18:47 GMT 

Where are all of the Sundazed Mono's sourced from?

I have a copy of the all the mono releases up to JWH, and they sound great on Sundazed. I'm just curious though....the one i don't have is Highway 61 since I have an original mono (mint, one of my favorite pieces in my collection) and it sounds fantastic, so I'm curious if the Sundazed versions sound better than original monos. (besides them being new releases)

PostPosted: Fri January 18th, 2013, 22:12 GMT 
Titanium Member

I have all the sundazed monos and like them very much--except Highway 61. It just lacks punch--sounds quiet or muffled. The rest of the monos all sound great to me.

PostPosted: Fri January 18th, 2013, 22:50 GMT 
Mercury Member

Ain't Talkin' wrote:
Troubadour64 wrote:
the recent BIABH release is spit up over two disks to be played at 45 rpm, i thought that was interesting and appealing, and partly went into the decision for buying it.

I think it's interesting, too. Had it been the mono BIABH, I might have gone for it. But as it is, paying 40 dollars for another stereo copy of an album I have 4 copies of (2003 remaster, original Columbia mono, original Columbia stereo, Sony mono CD) doesn't appeal to me that much.

I find this fascinating - I don't 'collect' music but I do 'accumulate' it - and I certainly know when there is a recording/pressing that sounds better than another one. Out of this assortment is there in fact ONE that you would say - 'that is the best' - and if so why hang on to the others? Or do you find different qualities, and if so what governs your decision as to which to listen to at any given time?

A few questions I know, hope you can shed some light. Since getting the half speed needle drop of BOTT that is all I need, the rest can rot. (not counting the out-takes of course 8) )

PostPosted: Sat January 19th, 2013, 02:00 GMT 
Titanium Member

Musty wrote:
Where are all of the Sundazed Mono's sourced from?

I have a copy of the all the mono releases up to JWH, and they sound great on Sundazed. I'm just curious though....the one i don't have is Highway 61 since I have an original mono (mint, one of my favorite pieces in my collection) and it sounds fantastic, so I'm curious if the Sundazed versions sound better than original monos. (besides them being new releases)

The Sundazed records are (ostensibly) sourced from the 1960's mono master tapes.

Whether they sound better than original pressings I think is mainly old (1960's) vacuum tube cuttings, which sound a little more euphonic / warmer vs. the cuttings using solid state like Sundazed. A person may like one more than the other.

slimtimslide wrote:

I find this fascinating - I don't 'collect' music but I do 'accumulate' it - and I certainly know when there is a recording/pressing that sounds better than another one. Out of this assortment is there in fact ONE that you would say - 'that is the best' - and if so why hang on to the others? Or do you find different qualities, and if so what governs your decision as to which to listen to at any given time?

A few questions I know, hope you can shed some light. Since getting the half speed needle drop of BOTT that is all I need, the rest can rot. (not counting the out-takes of course 8) )

I may acquire multiple versions of a favorite album over time out of curiosity to see what they sound lke. Often with albums from the 1950's and 1960's, the mono or stereo mix may sound better.

My first BiABH was a 1980's 'Nice Price' LP reissue that I got new, for like, 4 bucks. I don't know what happened to it. Later on I got my mono and stereo originals, and then later the 2003 CD. When the Sony mono box came out, I debated whether I needed it, and then upon hearing good reviews, couldn't resist. :) But I think I'm done buying BIABH's for now...other music in the world.

What governs my decision is circumstance and preference for what I want to hear. Although I must say that the 2003 stereo Sony CD gets little play from me anymore, it's too bright for my taste.

Best, IMO is the original mono 360 Sound Columbia LP.

PostPosted: Sat January 19th, 2013, 04:30 GMT 

Most of my '60s early '70s Dylan albums are marked PROMOTIONAL COPY NOT FOR SALE. I picked them all up at an estate sale. I assume they are what was sent to radio stations at the time of their release? Are these considered to have better sound, or be a superior pressing? They don't seem to be on heavier vinyl.

PostPosted: Sat January 19th, 2013, 22:49 GMT 
Titanium Member

patford wrote:
Most of my '60s early '70s Dylan albums are marked PROMOTIONAL COPY NOT FOR SALE. I picked them all up at an estate sale. I assume they are what was sent to radio stations at the time of their release? Are these considered to have better sound, or be a superior pressing? They don't seem to be on heavier vinyl.

They're early pressings, from fresh tapes and fresh metal, which may help them sound good. Depends on the mastering / cutting, though.

They would be on more or less 'standard weight' vinyl, whatever the label was using for regular commercial pressings. Not that it would matter much.

PostPosted: Sun January 20th, 2013, 01:07 GMT 

Thanks. They sound good, but I don't notice any difference from other copies from the same time.

PostPosted: Sun January 20th, 2013, 03:47 GMT 
Titanium Member

I have an original promo copy of highway 61--mint condition--but it sounds slow--how is that possible?

PostPosted: Sun January 20th, 2013, 07:25 GMT 

John B. Stetson wrote:
I have an original promo copy of highway 61--mint condition--but it sounds slow--how is that possible?

Heightened expectations?

PostPosted: Mon January 21st, 2013, 22:14 GMT 
Titanium Member

John B. Stetson wrote:

If it's truly slow, there was either a lathe or a tape machine out of whack. Or your turntable's funked up.

PostPosted: Mon January 21st, 2013, 23:42 GMT 
Titanium Member

It's weird--it's the only record I have that does this. It will slow down for sections and then seem to speed back up close to normal before slowing down again. Sounds like a turntable problem, but again--it's only with this record.

PostPosted: Tue January 22nd, 2013, 13:34 GMT 
Promethium Member

http://kleinanzeigen.ebay.de/anzeigen/s-anzeige/bob-dylan-daddy-rolling-stone-originalmatrizen/96999684-234-7448

:shock:

PostPosted: Tue January 22nd, 2013, 15:01 GMT 

^^^^That looks awesome!

Love the artwork.

PostPosted: Tue January 22nd, 2013, 17:59 GMT 

John B. Stetson wrote:
I have all the sundazed monos and like them very much--except Highway 61. It just lacks punch--sounds quiet or muffled. The rest of the monos all sound great to me.

I only have BIABH on Sundazed and to mye ears it's great.
Wonder if anyone have compared JWH on Sundazed to the more recent on on MOV???
Thanks in advance!

PostPosted: Tue January 22nd, 2013, 18:16 GMT 
Titanium Member

art wrote:
John B. Stetson wrote:

I only have BIABH on Sundazed and to mye ears it's great.
Wonder if anyone have compared JWH on Sundazed to the more recent on on MOV???
Thanks in advance!

The Sundazed and MOV are both mono. So, in addition to the Sony CD that makes THREE versions of that record to had in mono. in 2013, who 'da thunk?

PostPosted: Tue January 22nd, 2013, 19:43 GMT 
Promethium Member

Musty wrote:
^^^^That looks awesome!

Love the artwork.

Yes, but they're selling the parts you can actually make the records with.

PostPosted: Tue January 22nd, 2013, 20:11 GMT 

The Sundazed and MOV are both mono. So, in addition to the Sony CD that makes THREE versions of that record to had in mono. in 2013, who 'da thunk?[/quote]

Yes, I know they both are mono recordings, but that don't mean they sound the same. If anyone have or have heard both, opinions are most welcome.

PostPosted: Wed January 23rd, 2013, 15:36 GMT 

I haven't heard the MOV release so I'm sorry that this won't be terribly helpful....but the Sundazed version I have, sounds really great. Far superior to the Stereo Release from the 70's I have, and just as good (if not better, due to it being) than the original mono.

PostPosted: Wed January 23rd, 2013, 16:00 GMT 

Musty wrote:
I haven't heard the MOV release so I'm sorry that this won't be terribly helpful....but the Sundazed version I have, sounds really great. Far superior to the Stereo Release from the 70's I have, and just as good (if not better, due to it being) than the original mono.

Thanks a lot :)

PostPosted: Wed January 23rd, 2013, 17:34 GMT 

Just procured Oh Mercy on MOV to replace my old poor condition original vinyl. MOV wipes the floor with the original. Clarity is closer to SACD version

PostPosted: Wed January 23rd, 2013, 18:15 GMT 
Titanium Member

Iden and tity wrote:
Just procured Oh Mercy on MOV to replace my old poor condition original vinyl. MOV wipes the floor with the original. Clarity is closer to SACD version

Well, you admit your old vinyl was in poor condition, so your comparison may be invalid.

My (clean) Columbia copy sounds great. Lots of 'clarity' but not the artificially boosted kind.

PostPosted: Wed January 23rd, 2013, 18:50 GMT 

Fair point, but to my ears the remaster sounds better. More bass and some detail missing from original.

PostPosted: Wed January 23rd, 2013, 23:55 GMT 

Hey i was thinking of getting TOOM on Vinyl and was wondering if anybody know if this is the real deal and not a reissue bootleg?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BOB-DYLAN-Time- ... 19d76bc0ce

Why iam wondering because the price on it is pretty low (119 bucks LOL). iam saying low is because ive been seeing other copys in the 300 class range. Sorry for my bad English ;)

PostPosted: Thu January 24th, 2013, 00:11 GMT 
Titanium Member

Fake. I'm no expert. But, fake.

PostPosted: Thu January 24th, 2013, 00:49 GMT 
Titanium Member

Nekronaut wrote:
Hey i was thinking of getting TOOM on Vinyl and was wondering if anybody know if this is the real deal and not a reissue bootleg?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BOB-DYLAN-Time- ... 19d76bc0ce

Why iam wondering because the price on it is pretty low (119 bucks LOL). iam saying low is because ive been seeing other copys in the 300 class range. Sorry for my bad English ;)

Yeah, that is a fake. I bought my fake copy for $50 about a year ago and sold it for $20, and bought myself a real pressing for $40. I would hold out for a legit re-release though.

As for John Wesley Harding, the original Mono pressing is spectacular, but I don't know how accurate the recent Mono versions are in comparison.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 542 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next