Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Mon November 19th, 2018, 07:26 GMT

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon February 14th, 2011, 15:35 GMT 
Titanium Member

For the Bob Dylan crowd, Maggies Farm has very special significance. It was of course, the earth shattering first electric song Bob played at the Newport Festival in the 1960's - signaling his momentous change of direction. Last night we see it surfacing again at a major event, this time time to the accompaniment of a wall of high energy acoustic instruments. So my question is this: Was last night a type of plot point three - signaling a new era of Bob Dylan, sans instrument, crooning Sinatra style?

PostPosted: Mon February 14th, 2011, 15:42 GMT 
Mercury Member

Easy to sing.

PostPosted: Mon February 14th, 2011, 15:47 GMT 

chrome horse wrote:
It was of course, the earth shattering first electric song Bob played at the Newport Festival in the 1960's - signaling his momentous change of direction.

Who still knows that?

PostPosted: Mon February 14th, 2011, 15:54 GMT 

chrome horse wrote:
For the Bob Dylan crowd, Maggies Farm has very special significance. It was of course, the earth shattering first electric song Bob played at the Newport Festival in the 1960's - signaling his momentous change of direction. Last night we see it surfacing again at a major event, this time time to the accompaniment of a wall of high energy acoustic instruments. So my question is this: Was last night a type of plot point three - signaling a new era of Bob Dylan, sans instrument, crooning Sinatra style?

Crooning...Sinatra-style!!!

hahhahahhaahhahahhahahha

hahahhahahahahhahah

hahahaha

hah
a

PostPosted: Mon February 14th, 2011, 16:20 GMT 
Mercury Member

and again.....hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.

PostPosted: Mon February 14th, 2011, 16:29 GMT 
Titanium Member

Since the singer has no melodic abilities left, the song was at little risk for total destruction. Key line--"They say 'Sing while you slave!' and I just get bored." A better comment on the music industry has yet to be writ.

PostPosted: Mon February 14th, 2011, 16:57 GMT 
Promethium Member

rwasser wrote:
chrome horse wrote:
It was of course, the earth shattering first electric song Bob played at the Newport Festival in the 1960's - signaling his momentous change of direction.

Who still knows that?

I think those who chose the song still know it, and those who care to know it do. Those who didn't care about the actoustic / electric debate in 1965 would have just taken the performance for what it was. Same today.

PostPosted: Mon February 14th, 2011, 17:05 GMT 
Titanium Member

Hell, these days, Newport is mentioned in every other semi-comprehensive piece about him, so I'd say it's common knowledge among anyone who knows anything about Dylan.

PostPosted: Mon February 14th, 2011, 17:09 GMT 

harmonica albert wrote:
Since the singer has no melodic abilities left

Wrong.

Bob's range may be small these days, but it is not zero.

PostPosted: Mon February 14th, 2011, 17:10 GMT 

Warren Peace wrote:
Hell, these days, Newport is mentioned in every other semi-comprehensive piece about him, so I'd say it's common knowledge among anyone who knows anything about Dylan.

After last night's Sinatra-like crooning (hehhehehehehhehehehehhehehehhehehehhehehehhehehehhehehhehehhehehhehehehhehehehhe) I can't imagine anyone who doesn't know anything about Dylan will want to.

PostPosted: Mon February 14th, 2011, 17:17 GMT 

I think Bob choose Maggies Farm because he was playing with all new comers in music and they just choose the best new artist. Therefore, it's totally appropriate that that song was sung. After all, none of those new artists are going to be working on Maggies Farm no more!!!!!!!

PostPosted: Mon February 14th, 2011, 17:19 GMT 
Titanium Member

Brian Hamilton-Smith wrote:
Warren Peace wrote:

After last night's Sinatra-like crooning (hehhehehehehhehehehehhehehehhehehehhehehehhehehehhehehhehehhehehhehehehhehehehhe) I can't imagine anyone who doesn't know anything about Dylan will want to.

Careful, do that five more times and it might start to get old, now!

EDIT: Also, I might question the wisdom of performing a song about a sucky job when so many people are out of work... but I might also question performing a song about a man who kills his children because of poverty at Live Aid :lol:

Last edited by Warren Peace on Mon February 14th, 2011, 17:24 GMT, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon February 14th, 2011, 17:21 GMT 
Promethium Member

I liked the song for what it was (is)... I'd like to see Dylan tour with this group, a latter day Rolling Thunder meets the Never Ending Tour.

As to Bob's vocals... I like his voice for what it is... is it great? No, I probably wouldn't listen to many other artists with similar vocal limitations, but I would listen to Bob. His range? Its beginning to sound like he's less than a full octave... I don't have perfect pitch but the range is pretty narrow. Granted, one song doesn't give evidence of that but by the end of the 2010 campaign, the notes he can hit don't fall far apart. But I do like what he does and wish he'd do a follow up to Christmas In the Heart before its too late...

PostPosted: Mon February 14th, 2011, 17:25 GMT 
Promethium Member

I am not convinced of any motive whatsoever.

PostPosted: Mon February 14th, 2011, 17:28 GMT 

Heaven forfend.

But seriously - what does a singer do when he can't sing any more?

There is nothing left in Dylan's voice - he can't even do one-note blues hollering or growling.

Last night was awful - they seem to have turned his voice down in the mix out of pity.

PostPosted: Mon February 14th, 2011, 17:31 GMT 
Titanium Member

Brian Hamilton-Smith wrote:
Heaven forfend.

But seriously - what does a singer do when he can't sing any more?

There is nothing left in Dylan's voice - he can't even do one-note blues hollering or growling.

Last night was awful - they seem to have turned his voice down in the mix out of pity.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVCtkzIXYzQ

PostPosted: Mon February 14th, 2011, 17:34 GMT 

Haha

THEY turned down his voice in the mix, not me!

PostPosted: Mon February 14th, 2011, 17:52 GMT 
Titanium Member

I don't blame the tech guys for being off their game. Bob had, by my count, 120 musicians backing him, for something that had been miked as an intimate acoustic thing seconds prior. A few of those guys had to take a hike, that's all.

PostPosted: Mon February 14th, 2011, 18:03 GMT 
Titanium Member

The New York Times review of the show had this comment about Bobs performance -

'So Mr. Dylan, froggy but grinning, joined Mumford & Sons (a best new artist nominee) and the Avett Brothers for a hootenanny version of “Maggie’s Farm.” '

___________________________________________________________________________________________

I'm not familiar with Mumford and Sons, but I was real impressed with the song they did before Bob joined in - kind of turbo charged folk music. The Avett Brothers were terrific also. When Bob was singing, in one of the audience shots, Neil Young was show beaming a huge smile at Bob - nice.

I couldn't help but notice the horrific lensing of Bob during his performance. I might be wrong, but there wasn't one good camera angle or close up of him the whole time. I'm convinced that when he does a gig like this, he has very tight demands on how he will be shown on camera. He's famous for lousy live TV performances, and I think these demands are an offshoot of that. I'd love to see the contract. That would be a great "leak".

PostPosted: Mon February 14th, 2011, 18:07 GMT 

Seems like the easiest of his well known songs for a bunch of kids who have never played with him to perform.

I wish his mic had been louder. Unlike many here, I think his new singing voice is as enjoyable to listen to as ever.

PostPosted: Mon February 14th, 2011, 18:20 GMT 
Promethium Member

chrome horse wrote:
I'd love to see the contract. That would be a great "leak".

Seconded.

PostPosted: Mon February 14th, 2011, 18:35 GMT 
Titanium Member

Saying Dylan's range is "not zero" is hardly a validation of his vocal abilities. My farts have variable pitches, but I don't release them into a microphone in front of an audience, unlike Lepetomane Dylan.

I'm reluctant to give up hope with Dylan. I believe he could figure out a great way to use his voice if he took the time to find the right material and musicians. I guess it was silly to think the Grammy performance would rise above mediocrity, given the context of self-congratulation and consumerism. A really excellent performance would only serve to show how insipid and harmless most of the music on the show was. Instead, the amateur strum-fest just made everything else sound more professional.

PostPosted: Mon February 14th, 2011, 18:40 GMT 

Im not convinced there was any motive for the song, maybe a slight chance of the whole newport electric thing playing a part, or maybe it was just easy for them all to jam along to without much rehearsal.

My question is is about the microphone he is holding? Is this some sort of nod to theme time radio (or is it more modern a mic than it looks), maybe its a comfort thing?

It does get better on each viewing but your averge joe wouldnt think much of it im guessing, not that i care, i liked it, reminded me of the clip of the new lost ramblers on NDH, ragged wild music.

Last edited by escapeedrifter on Mon February 14th, 2011, 18:40 GMT, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon February 14th, 2011, 18:40 GMT 

Bob plays whatever Bob wants to play. That's the only motive in any choice, I think.

airoff wrote:
I wish his mic had been louder. Unlike many here, I think his new singing voice is as enjoyable to listen to as ever.

I guess I belong in the 'Bob can do no evil' party, but I thought it was pretty good, too. And when you say his new singing voice, perhaps you just mean the rasp he's developed in the last 15 years or so, but I actually thought he kind of sounded different last night. No less raspy, and not really more, or better or worse, just different. But perhaps it was just me.

escapeddrifter wrote:
My question is is about the microphone he is holding? Is this some sort of nod to theme time radio (or is it more modern a mic than it looks), maybe its a comfort thing?

It looked like the same mic he always uses to me, but yeah, I've always thought it looked like something from the '30s or '40s.

PostPosted: Mon February 14th, 2011, 18:52 GMT 
Titanium Member

harmonica albert wrote:
Instead, the amateur strum-fest just made everything else sound more professional.

:lol: That's what it was. They had to keep it easy, half the guys strumming never heard the song before.

My wife is not a Dylan fan and she made a good point. She said - if Dylan is such a great song writer, and a successful live act for decades, then he should have no trouble giving a performance that brings down the house. I said to her - that was 31 years ago and I made her watch this - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FavBDpg91gA I actually got her to admit that he rocked the house, and he looked pretty good too.