Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Sun September 23rd, 2018, 18:02 GMT

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 134 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Thu December 22nd, 2011, 14:20 GMT 

songanddanceman wrote:
JTT's version has just been bumped on hungercity.
That is the way to go.
It's pristine quality.
Anything with JTT's name on it is 100% gold.

That is my Transfer on YouTube, Torrent is also here:

http://tangledupintorrents.com/details.php?id=1115

PostPosted: Thu December 22nd, 2011, 14:20 GMT 

TheGunfighter wrote:
doomedtoloveyou wrote:
I'm an hour, 37 minutes in so far - and it's absolutely fantastic! I can't imagine any Bob Dylan fan not liking this movie.

I'm a pretty big film buff and rate movies objectively - I haven't watched it, but if it's bad, I won't be merciful just because it's Dylan's film. :P

This !! Ha ha!

I admit it's hard to watch him act badly though!! Very hard!
"No Bob noooo! You're not supposed to look like an idiot you're Bob"

PostPosted: Thu December 22nd, 2011, 14:43 GMT 

Johanna Parker wrote:
Every Mind-Polluting Word interview collection PDF. It used to be around here.

I just read the '77 interview with Ginsberg on page 524, to hell if I didn't tear up. I understand what he's saying, man. The Actuality, Time, the everything.

The whole movie is the dream the college kid did not have. This whole movie has gone down and they haven't dreamt any of it. The movie that you never dreamt, that you wish you'da dreamt.

I'm exploding, this is the greatest interview I've ever read.

I need to see this movie

PostPosted: Thu December 22nd, 2011, 15:35 GMT 
Promethium Member

I'll have to read that before I watch this weekend.

PostPosted: Fri December 23rd, 2011, 02:40 GMT 
Mercury Member

Just finished watching Renaldo & Clara. Okay, I'm a big Dylan fan, and an apologist, and I've drunk the Kool-Aid - but I must say that I absolutely love this. There is enough RTR concert coverage to please even Benny - along with Joan and Sara - and Ronee - and Allen Ginsberg - an exciting, nostalgic look back at the seventies in America. A must see. I just wish we could get the original 7 and a half hour movie now. (okay, I'm a spoiled child!)
doomed

PostPosted: Fri December 23rd, 2011, 09:43 GMT 

There's a poignancy to it, too, in that it's the last time they all looked young. And of course, Mick Ronson and David Blue are now long gone.

PostPosted: Fri December 23rd, 2011, 16:50 GMT 
Titanium Member

It reminds me a little of the very first reality show, An American Family. Does anyone remember that? I recall watching those episodes on PBS in the early 70's. It was somewhere between watching home movies, a documentary, and an actual movie with no real story, script or plot. People who can't act, trying to improvise situations for the camera. Plenty of mumbling and bad close-ups. Almost like Cinéma vérité" or Direct cinema, as they call it now. There's unused footage in the can - they should assemble episodes of it and make a New Years Day Rinaldo and Clara marathon on VH1, A&E, or the History channel. I'd get stoned and watch it.

PostPosted: Fri December 23rd, 2011, 17:39 GMT 
Mercury Member

Three legged man wrote:
There's unused footage in the can - they should assemble episodes of it and make a New Years Day Rinaldo and Clara marathon on VH1, A&E, or the History channel. I'd get stoned and watch it.

I'd go for that, definitely (the R&C marathon, I mean - but mine will be an alcohol-induced stoned state 8) )

PostPosted: Fri December 23rd, 2011, 17:50 GMT 
Promethium Member

Wasn't the outtake footage destroyed in a barn fire on Bob's property? :?

And what about the proposed NDH follow-up film about the mid-'70s?

PostPosted: Fri December 23rd, 2011, 17:54 GMT 
Titanium Member

They could call it the Renaldo and Clarathon.

BTW - I meant to say "There's always unused footage...). I don't know for sure. If there's a trunk full of old film reels, it's probably some of the best stuff. There must be more Bob footage. He's barely in the movie.

PostPosted: Fri December 23rd, 2011, 17:55 GMT 
Titanium Member

Johanna Parker wrote:

I never heard about a barn fire.

PostPosted: Fri December 23rd, 2011, 18:06 GMT 
Promethium Member

Three legged man wrote:
Johanna Parker wrote:

I never heard about a barn fire.

Garage fire it was. I heard said that the outtakes were stored there.
http://articles.latimes.com/1987-11-21/ ... lan-s-home

PostPosted: Fri December 23rd, 2011, 18:14 GMT 

doomedtoloveyou wrote:
I just wish we could get the original 7 and a half hour movie now.

Dylan and Alk cut a 450' movie? :shock: Less editing, I guess. I'd watch it. People that can still read spend as much time tackling a novel.

Last edited by Train-I-Ride on Fri December 23rd, 2011, 18:24 GMT, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri December 23rd, 2011, 18:17 GMT 

I saw the original version at the Brattle Theater in Cambridge when it was released in 77 or 78, and it was unbelievable.................-ly long.
You felt after four hours, during the intermission, when we went outside to - ahem - fortify ourselves for the second half, as if the second part would be more of a linear story. That's what we were all expecting, it wasn't playing as mere concert footage, it seemed like there was a story in there somewhere and we all thought some of these threads would be pulled together in a linear story (?). We bounced a few theories around about what was going on. Yeah, the music footage was great, but it was trying to tell some kind of story. The movie disappeared about a week later. So I never got to see it again, which I surely would have done, but had to wait decades for it to show up years later in its current bastardized version.

I just want to see the original seven and a half hour version once again because that one was good quality and because my memory of it is cloudy.

PostPosted: Fri December 23rd, 2011, 18:29 GMT 

I just think it's great that a younger generation of Dylan fans can experience and become more aware of it, thanks to threads/ prompts such as these. Dylan should sanction a theatrical re-release. Get it back out there on the arthouse streets!

PostPosted: Fri December 23rd, 2011, 18:33 GMT 
Titanium Member

I remember when it came out everyone was griping about it being almost 4 hours, and then it was cut in half. But I never heard about a 7 1/2 hour version. Has there ever been a single movie that long?

PostPosted: Fri December 23rd, 2011, 18:44 GMT 

Three legged man wrote:
I remember when it came out everyone was griping about it being almost 4 hours, and then it was cut in half. But I never heard about a 7 1/2 hour version. Has there ever been a single movie that long?

That would be a cartoon short compared to this little puppy:

'The longest film screened so far is the Danish experimental film Modern Times Forever (Stora Enso Building, Helsinki) made by Superflex. It has a runtime of 240 hours and a one-off screening began on 23 March 2011 at the IHME Contemporary Art Festival in Helsinki' - wikipedia

I bet the toilet breaks were fun.

PostPosted: Fri December 23rd, 2011, 19:01 GMT 
Titanium Member

Quote:
Dylan’s grueling tour schedule added a complexity to the filming. Dylan edited some one hundred hours for Renaldo & Clara. In 1978 he said, “I knew it was not going to be a short movie because we couldn’t tell that story in an hour. Originally I couldn’t see how we could do it under seven or eight hours. But we subtracted songs and scenes and dialogue until we couldn’t subtract anymore. There was a lot of chaos while we were making the film. A lot of good scenes didn’t happen because we had already finished improvising by the time the cameras were ready to film. You can’t recapture stuff like that. There was a lot of conflict during filming. We had people who didn’t understand what we were doing because we didn’t have a script. Some who didn’t understand were willing to go along with us anyway. Others weren’t and that hurt us. It hurt the film.”

http://swampland.com/articles/view/titl ... n_the_tomb

Are there any documented references to the release and showing of a longer version? This is the closest I could find. I want to believe it. Maybe it just felt like 7 1/2 hours.

PostPosted: Fri December 23rd, 2011, 19:10 GMT 

Three legged man wrote:
Quote:
Dylan’s grueling tour schedule added a complexity to the filming. Dylan edited some one hundred hours for Renaldo & Clara. In 1978 he said, “we subtracted songs and scenes and dialogue until we couldn’t subtract anymore.

And Pennebaker shot under 20 hours in '66. If a barn fire on Dylan's property really did claim all that footage, then that's a mighty shame.

PostPosted: Fri December 23rd, 2011, 19:22 GMT 
Promethium Member

Three legged man wrote:
Maybe it just felt like 7 1/2 hours.

:lol:

I was thinking the same - that the original was 4 hours and then they released a shorter cut. I haven't had a four hour block to sit down and watch this, but I'm looking forward to it.

PostPosted: Fri December 23rd, 2011, 19:30 GMT 

Three legged man wrote:
[
Are there any documented references to the release and showing of a longer version? This is the closest I could find. I want to believe it. Maybe it just felt like 7 1/2 hours.

Hah, yeah, I suppose that's a possibility, however, while my memory is hazy, I do recall that it was much, much longer than four hours, but I wasn't timing it. Maybe I should go back and research any references in the Boston Public Library back in 1978....but, I do know there are things missing in the four hour version that's floating around today, (besides it looks like crap visually compared to the one that showed on the big screen). We did comment during the intermission how it was like we'd already sat through the entire Gone With the Wind and had another Gone With the Wind to still sit through. It was an afternoon show that ended late that night, and no matter how rabid a fan you were, you just....wanted....it....to....end.....already.

PostPosted: Fri December 23rd, 2011, 20:02 GMT 
Titanium Member

Well that settles it :P

I wish that he had done a slightly better job on some of the backing music. Not the performance parts - the song fragments that sound like a piano rehearsal. He's running off songs like Sad eyed lady, If you see her, and others. They're poorly recorded, he's farting his way though them, it's a sloppy let down compared to what it could have been. RTR was his greatest time, he could have done amazing versions of those songs. Don't get me wrong - I still enjoy hearing them.

Here's a little outline that I found.

http://www.litkicks.com/Films/RenaldoAndClara.html

PostPosted: Fri December 23rd, 2011, 22:07 GMT 
Mercury Member

That's a good outline of R&C - thanks for the link, tlm!

PostPosted: Tue December 27th, 2011, 04:21 GMT 
Mercury Member

I haven't watched this yet. I am trying to download the movie to my computer using YouTube Downloader, but twice now, the download has failed when the computer goes in sleep mode. I need help. Should I try another program? Do I need to sit and babysit the entire time which looked to be several hours? I want it saved in case it is removed from youtube and I want to burn it to a dvd. Help. :?

PostPosted: Tue December 27th, 2011, 13:10 GMT 

what a lovely synchronicity. i was just thinkin of revisiting my vhs poor quality R&C tapes to see what I might glean from it this time and lo and behold a quality version i can stream on my laptop in any room i want . . . yes! almost got all those clothes organized --- on to the next room! Great movie! I love the social commentary and spiritual allusions! David Blue and the guy who owns (?) / runs the restaurant are among my favorite scenes. classic Ginsberg (from what little I know about him). Thanks Isis :) Great timing!

Drake, so that was you sitting in the back there?

My understanding is that the 4 hour was released first and then later on a 2 hour version. The 2 hour version cuts out a lot of socio-political commentary.

oh and by the by -- it was Renaldo and Clara that turned me into a Dylan fanatic. Luckily I've since recovered. . . . well almost . . .

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 134 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next