Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Mon June 18th, 2018, 02:01 GMT

All times are UTC

Post subject: Track Talk 283 Saved
PostPosted: Sun October 16th, 2011, 07:45 GMT 

Probably the quintessential Dylan Christian song.....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MIUNftAi_z4

I was blinded by the devil
Born already ruined
Stone-cold dead
As I stepped out of the womb
By His grace I have been touched
By His word I have been healed
By His hand I’ve been delivered
By His spirit I’ve been sealed

I’ve been saved
By the blood of the lamb
Saved
By the blood of the lamb
Saved
Saved
And I’m so glad
Yes, I’m so glad
I’m so glad
So glad
I want to thank You, Lord
I just want to thank You, Lord
Thank You, Lord

By His truth I can be upright
By His strength I do endure
By His power I’ve been lifted
In His love I am secure
He bought me with a price
Freed me from the pit
Full of emptiness and wrath
And the fire that burns in it

I’ve been saved
By the blood of the lamb
Saved
By the blood of the lamb
Saved
Saved
And I’m so glad
Yes, I’m so glad
I’m so glad
So glad
Thank You, Lord

Nobody to rescue me
Nobody would dare
I was going down for the last time
But by His mercy I’ve been spared
Not by works
But by faith in Him who called
For so long I’ve been hindered
For so long I’ve been stalled

I’ve been saved
By the blood of the lamb
Saved
By the blood of the lamb
Saved
Saved
And I’m so glad
Yes, I’m so glad
I’m so glad
So glad
Thank You, Lord

Co-written by bassist Tim Drummond, Saved is the stand-out song from those tours of 79-80. On the album, it doesn't quite work, but live this song never failed...until maybe 1981...

A dogmatic gospel barn-burner, the song is nothing more than an emphatic declaration of thanks and praise. But delivered by Bob and his amazing group towards the end of any strong show of the tour, the song is almost always an incredible performance.

My favorite might be one of the last of the 1979 tour. An incredible performance with Spooner Oldham kicking ass on piano:

Albuquerque NM
December 5 1979
http://www.sendspace.com/file/kihnqd

Post subject: Re: Track Talk 283 Saved
PostPosted: Sun October 16th, 2011, 12:28 GMT 

I'll have to listen to Albuquerque because I thought the 11/16/79 Warfield version could not be bettered, so much better than the studio take

PostPosted: Sun October 16th, 2011, 13:08 GMT 
Titanium Member

SAVED

Oliver Trager

Among Dylan’s most die-hard gospel tunes, Saved was cowritten with Tim Drummond, his bassist during the gospel era and, ironically, one of the few non-Christians in the group. Certainly, Saved does its best to jump-start the titular album on which it appears – a fiery damnation and hellfire rant, preaching and testifying salvation through Jesus Christ in the charismatic tradition of Elmer Gantry. But on its album release, the song falls a little flat.

However, live and in person was another matter. Describing an early Dylan performance of Saved in November 1979 in his book Dylan – What Happened?. Paul Williams wrote:

“It is a moving, effective production number, fun to watch and sing along with. Terry Young gets to really rock out on the piano on this one, and the last night we went I was also quite impressed by the guitar solos. Fred Tackett, lead guitar for the concerts, is technically excellent but seemed to be cowed by Dylan – his playing got more self-confident and louder as the nights passed, but it still lacked the bite that such passionate music deserves.”

“Saved starts with a fine Jumping Jack Flash opening, “I was blinded by the devil (Dylan uses the word “blinded” a lot) / Born already ruined / Stone cold dead as I stepped forth from the womb”. Mostly, he is telling us he is so glad to have been saved and he just wants to “thank you Lord”. This “thank you” is a lot more casual than Saving Grace or What Can I Do For You?, but it is a fun song, at least in concert. One rather revealing line, “No one tried to rescue me / Nobody dared”. It fits in with my theory that Dylan needed Christ because only a full-blown religion with all the trimmings could offer the discipline necessary to keep him faithful, to restrain his mighty ego from running off on its own trip again. Other situations might also have offered awakening, but only Christ offered Dylan the chance to really surrender himself – which, since it was his ego )sense of his own power) that was torturing him, was the one thing he needed most. Says me.”

Saved never charted when released as a single and was liberally but exclusively performed from 1979 through 1981 during Dylan’s gospel revue, sometimes as a show-opening rave.

Bassist and Saved cowriter Tim Drummond (born 20 April 1940, Bloomington, Indiana) first played with Dylan at the 23 March 1975, SNACK (Students Need Athletic And Cultural Kicks) benefit concert in San Francisco, and was a fixture in Dylan’s touring band from 1979 through to 1981. He appears on Slow Train Coming, Saved, and Shot Of Love. Drummond is one of those journeymen performers and studio musicians who have never stopped working, yet go largely unrecognised for their contributions. A short-list of those he has worked with – James Brown, Neil Young, Graham Nash, JJ Vale, David Crosby, David Lindley, Charlie Daniels, Ronnie Hawkins, Rick Danko, Hoyt Axton, Ry Cooder, Paula Abdul, Eric Clapton, and Roy Buchanan.

Clinton Heylin

Published lyric/s: Lyrics 85; Lyrics 04.

First known performance: Warfield Theatre, SF, 1 November 1979.

Known studio recordings: Muscle Shoab, Sheffield AL, 12 February 1980 – 3 takes; 15 February 1980. [SAV]

“Ye were not redeemed with corruptible things but with the precious blood of Christ, as of a lamb without blemish and without spot.” 1 Peter 1:18-19

Though the bulk of the Saved songs were copyrighted on 13 November 1979, three songs – Saved, Solid Rock and What Can I Do For You? – would not be registered for another 15 days, suggesting they were actually written during rehearsals for the West Coast tour, to create an entire set comprising songs “given to me by the Lord to sing”. Dylan was quite clear about this one thing. As he told a TV interviewer the following spring, “The old stuff's not gonna save them. They can boogie all night, but it's not gonna work.”

Well, Saved continued where Pressing On left off, in a state of original sin:

“I was blinded by the devil, born already ruined
Stone-cold dead, as I stepped out of the womb”

as the songwriter embraces the sentiments of both Psalm 51:5:

“Behold, I was shapen in iniquity; and in sin did my mother conceive me”

and 2 Corinthians 4:4,

“The god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not.”

New to such intense feelings, Dylan introduced the song at the final 1979 Warfield show with a simple profession of faith: “You know Satan's called the God of this world, that's true, and it's such a wonderful feeling when you've been delivered from that.” The 16 November 1079 version is that glorious gladness personified.

For those who still wondered what Dylan had been saved from, the second verse spelt it out:

“He bought me with a price, freed me from the pit
Full of emptiness and wrath, and the fire that burns in it.”

The pit in question had already been vividly described by St John the Divine:

“And he opened the bottomless pit; and there arose a smoke out of the pit, as the smoke of a great furnace; and the sun and the air were darkened by reason of the smoke of the pit” (Revelation 9:2).

Thankfully, the singer himself “by His mercy” had been spared. No wonder he was “glad, so glad”.

Just like Blessed Is The Name and Pressing On, Saved was another song that worked best in its element, a revivalist meeting disguised as a Dylan concert. Capturing that spirit in the studio was bound to be problematic. Although recorded in a couple of takes (and a false start) on the second day of the Saved sessions (12 February 1980), producer Jerry Wexler told Rolling Stone, “On the fifth day, we re-examined everything we'd done and wound up recutting two songs – Covenant Woman and Saved. It was pretty much Bob's instinct to redo them.”

It would appear Dylan did shortlist two versions of Saved – as he had with two of the songs on John Wesley Harding many moons ago. In the end, the LP version was the one recorded on 15 February 1980, as Wexler accurately recalled a matter of months later. Even here, though, Dylan struggled to convey the impact of his own conversion experience with the same immediacy he managed back in San Francisco. The song held its own in the live set until the European 1981 tour, opening most mainland shows before the gladness faded, and the singer resumed his search for a shot of love.

Two versions of the same take were assigned to the eight-track master (yes, they really were still making eight-track cartridges in 1980), but with two distinctly different timings, neither an exact match with the album version (one is 3.42, the other is 4.29, spread across two of the cartridge's four bands – the one on Saved clocks in at 4.01), making for one of the oddest anomalies in Dylan's official catalogue.

PostPosted: Wed October 26th, 2011, 23:26 GMT 
Promethium Member

A rocker during the gospel tours and a barn burner at that!... Never heard a performance (including studio) that I didn't like and I can't say that about too many songs by any artist.

PostPosted: Thu October 27th, 2011, 01:36 GMT 

Mez is a big fan of his gospel records, but was never a big fan of this tune. However, yes that was a "barn burner" version which I enjoyed lots. Thanks Marker, as always! (Maybe Marker goes on gospel run here..... MEZ skipped quite a few if memory serves me right)! MEZ

PostPosted: Fri December 2nd, 2011, 03:33 GMT 
Promethium Member

Untrodden Path wrote:
A rocker during the gospel tours and a barn burner at that!... Never heard a performance (including studio) that I didn't like and I can't say that about too many songs by any artist.

Exactly. I walk the same Path.

PostPosted: Fri December 2nd, 2011, 05:57 GMT 

Raw power. Can it get any better than this?

PostPosted: Fri December 2nd, 2011, 06:04 GMT 

I've said this before somewhere on this here internet site, but I'll say it again

His religious perioid is not a period that I listen much to because it's specific in a way I am not - but the passion and the strength that is behind his performance of these songs either gives me goosebumps or makes me want to move with the music. If Saved was an instrumental album, it would be considered one of Dylan's best.

PostPosted: Thu December 22nd, 2011, 04:14 GMT 
Promethium Member

And it really does need to be preceded with Satisfied Mind to get the full effect. And loud.

PostPosted: Mon September 22nd, 2014, 20:44 GMT 

Has anyone ever heard of this??
I can't believe this happened and that he continued with the show!!

'As Dylan concludes his moderately successful European tour of 1981, tragedy strikes with two deaths in the crowd in Avignon France. “Saved” is seconds old when the stage is shrouded in darkness as a member of the crowd falls onto the electrical cables. In the confusion a girl falls from a wall. Dylan and the band are forced to improvise some acoustic rhythms on stage until power is finally restored, after which Dylan performs a 25-song set to an enthusiastic crowd.'

That said, it's an incredible show and kicks off with the most fiery rendition of 'Saved' I've heard from those years:

Avignon France
July 25 1981
http://www.mediafire.com/listen/v2nfb4u ... _Saved.mp3

And here's some incredible video from that concert:
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xqoy8b ... ance_music

PostPosted: Mon September 22nd, 2014, 21:01 GMT 
Titanium Member

One of my favorite songs on the Saved album.

PostPosted: Mon September 22nd, 2014, 23:50 GMT 
Promethium Member

marker wrote:
Has anyone ever heard of this??
I can't believe this happened and that he continued with the show!!

'As Dylan concludes his moderately successful European tour of 1981, tragedy strikes with two deaths in the crowd in Avignon France. “Saved” is seconds old when the stage is shrouded in darkness as a member of the crowd falls onto the electrical cables. In the confusion a girl falls from a wall. Dylan and the band are forced to improvise some acoustic rhythms on stage until power is finally restored, after which Dylan performs a 25-song set to an enthusiastic crowd.'

That said, it's an incredible show and kicks off with the most fiery rendition of 'Saved' I've heard from those years:

Avignon France
July 25 1981
http://www.mediafire.com/listen/v2nfb4u ... _Saved.mp3

And here's some incredible video from that concert:
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xqoy8b ... ance_music

That is a bit crazy...

The final show of Bob Dylan's 1981 European tour, July 25's appearance at Avignon, France's Palais des Sports was marred by tragedy. One concertgoer was electrocuted after stumbling into the power grid, and with the entire facility shrouded in darkness, another plunged to her death after slipping off a retaining wall. The two-disc bootleg set Avignon captures the vast majority of the show, save for a solo rendition of "Mr. Tambourine Man" performed during the power outage, and despite the misfortune that befell the event, there's no discounting the ferocity of Dylan's performance. Concentrating on the devoutly spiritual compositions of his gospel LPs Slow Train Coming and Saved, the music communicates the true conviction of Dylan's newfound Christian faith in ways the aforementioned studio records do not, achieving a soulful potency that vinyl simply could not contain. Warhorses like "Ballad of a Thin Man," "The Times They Are a-Changin'," and "Like a Rolling Stone" are similarly galvanized by a performance with all the passion and energy of an old-fashioned gospel tent revival. Regardless of your beliefs, there's little doubting the immediacy of this music. Superlative sound and presentation make this a must-own package for all serious Dylan enthusiasts.

Reminds of the saying, "Other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?"

PostPosted: Tue March 6th, 2018, 19:25 GMT 

So the question is, these maaany years later: Which is the definitive live version of Saved? Albuquerque 79? Paramount Theatre 80?