Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Wed September 19th, 2018, 13:09 GMT

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat December 15th, 2012, 12:39 GMT 
Promethium Member

^I don't know about the "easily the best song" part... at one point or another every song except Make You Feel My Love has held that spot for me, depending on the mood I was in. But it deserves the reverence and appreciation it receives and is a favorite... and always will be. A beautiful piece of work and amongst Bob's very best.

PostPosted: Sat December 15th, 2012, 12:47 GMT 

the only song that (to my ears!) comes close to it is "Trying To Get To Heaven". Then again, that's all down to personal taste.

PostPosted: Sat December 15th, 2012, 15:33 GMT 
Senior Moderator

Not Dark Yet also prompts one of the best sections in Christopher Ricks' book Dylan's Visions of Sin where he notes the (possibly) coincidental parallels between the song and Keats' Ode to a Nightingale.

PostPosted: Sat December 15th, 2012, 16:54 GMT 

Check Paris 2002 2nd Night version. My favorite one.

PostPosted: Sat December 15th, 2012, 23:26 GMT 

Not Dark Yet was my first introduction to what I learned later was Mod.Bob. I first heard it on the Essential Bob Dylan, and it comes right after Everything is Broken, and the difference in his voice freaked me out. Ahh - to be young again. I guess people lucky enough to follow Dylan through the years have had a gradual acceptance to his voice. But us young people had to experience Highway 61 Revisited and Time out of Mind at the same time, and it's shocking as shocking goes.

The song itself is Dylan at his bitter best. You can hear the anger in his pain, the regret in his acceptance. Great song, one of the many bests on that masterpiece of an album.

PostPosted: Sun December 16th, 2012, 04:01 GMT 

This song is just another addition to such a realistic view at a dark world and the experience of aging. Purely by happenstance, I really got used to Dylan's voice as if I would have been following him throughout his career. I just happened to have started at his young stages, and move along the path. (Actually, my first album was Blood on the Tracks on vinyl, given to me by my father the day I bought my record player 2 years ago. Lovely memory and fortunate album to have heard first.)

The album, as a whole, is really what I think about when I consider such songs as this, along with Standing in the Doorway and Tryin' to Get to Heaven.

I just feel so sad that Dylan seemed to have come to terms with his mortality, especially since he was near facing death after the albums release. But, in a way, it is quite uplifting, considering the energy that has existed on his albums since. I feel almost that Dylan just needed to say these things before he could go on fueling his albums with energy. And the tone itself is so realistic and down-to-earth, the first Dylan album that was written for us to relate to.

Great song, beautiful and fantastic album.

PostPosted: Mon January 28th, 2013, 20:55 GMT 

God how I love this song. Today, it's certainly my favorite Dylan composition....

And this particular version speaks to me....The harmonica 'sings the song'
here just as much as Dylan's bellowing tones and highlights how Dylan's musical writing
is so overlooked when paired with these powerfully intimate lyrics....

Boston MA
November 15 2009
http://www.sendspace.com/file/trxmt4

PostPosted: Sat August 3rd, 2013, 19:13 GMT 

"I've still got the scars that the sun didn't heal"

"I've still got the scars that the son didn't heal"

slight reference to his Christian period I suspect

PostPosted: Sun August 4th, 2013, 18:15 GMT 

If I could wish for one song to see performed live, this would be it. I consider it to be a masterpiece.

Out of all the live versions I've listened to, this one stands out as the best: http://www.notdarkyet.org/100612ndy.mp3

That harp solo just knocks me flat out, and I tear up almost on every listen.

PostPosted: Mon August 5th, 2013, 01:31 GMT 

This song always chokes me up and brings a tear to my eyes. Sometimes, in some moods, when I listen to it, I feel utterly bereft and like life is utterly pointless. Other times, it's uplifting. It is a masterpiece.

PostPosted: Mon August 5th, 2013, 01:41 GMT 

The first time I heard this song was over the phone!

John Bauldie played a snippet on his Wanted Man hotline a few weeks before the album was released.

Oh for those halcyon days of pre-internet mystery!

PostPosted: Tue February 4th, 2014, 20:47 GMT 

'A world-weary and resigned-sounding Dylan sings of shadows and burdens, hardened souls and unhealed scars. The closest thing to a chorus is the line, repeated at the end of every stanza, “It’s not dark yet, but it’s getting there.” It’s a moving end-of-life song written and sung by an aging artist who has somehow managed to remain vital. It’s certainly not turning dark yet for Dylan as he enters his eighth decade...' TIME

Still my favorite album, Time Out Of Mind is something that lives in my bones, the way Blonde On Blonde or Blood On The Tracks does for others...It's now just a very rich experience every time I put it on, which is always after midnight....

Here's an unbelievable version from a few months after 9/11. Bob so cathartically bellows the song, it's a little overwhelming. I find myself catching my breath when I've been listening to it.
I always felt that those Fall 2001 performances were influenced deeply by that transformative event...

November 23 2001
Portland ME
http://www.sendspace.com/file/z6adq1

PostPosted: Tue February 4th, 2014, 22:01 GMT 

Warren Peace wrote:
On live recordings, the audience's enthusiasm can come off pretty weird.
"It's not dark yet, but it's gettin' there..."
"WOO!"
:lol:

Ha! Reminds me of the "stand over your grave til I'm sure that you're dead" line from Masters of War.
The cheering does seem a tad incongruous.

PostPosted: Tue February 4th, 2014, 22:12 GMT 

marker wrote:
'A world-weary and resigned-sounding Dylan sings of shadows and burdens, hardened souls and unhealed scars. The closest thing to a chorus is the line, repeated at the end of every stanza, “It’s not dark yet, but it’s getting there.” It’s a moving end-of-life song written and sung by an aging artist who has somehow managed to remain vital. It’s certainly not turning dark yet for Dylan as he enters his eighth decade...' TIME

Still my favorite album, Time Out Of Mind is something that lives in my bones, the way Blonde On Blonde or Blood On The Tracks does for others...It's now just a very rich experience every time I put it on, which is always after midnight....

Here's an unbelievable version from a few months after 9/11. Bob so cathartically bellows the song, it's a little overwhelming. I find myself catching my breath when I've been listening to it.
I always felt that those Fall 2001 performances were influenced deeply by that transformative event...

November 23 2001
Portland ME
http://www.sendspace.com/file/z6adq1

This version is tremendous. Thanks for sharing.

PostPosted: Wed February 5th, 2014, 10:32 GMT 

quick story..i first saw bob live in the fall of 2003 where he was suffering from a throat infection.. this combined with the poor sound in the venue and the fact i had no clue what he at that time sounded like added up to a confusing night..i barely understood a word but at the same time the sounds of the words were enthralling in some way..it's was like some language i had yet to come to fully comprehend...so after this i got fully into buying his album's and listening to boots but they mainly consisted of everything up to 75/76.. i had still yet to discover oh mercy, time out of mind and love and theft..yet as soon a i heard he was playing pearse stadium in the summer of 2004 in Galway i bought tickets and organised the trip..now i was more equipped this time around and bob was in fine voice..the power of it knocked me off my feet at times.. the most heart-stopping, show stopping moment came as the light began to fade, the sun was sinking over the crowd and he began to sing 'not dark yet'.. he couldn't have timed it any better..the crowd vanished around me as i intently listened to every word and had what i can only describe as a transcendent experience..almost religious in nature..i don't think i said a word to my then girlfriend or the rest of our friends that whole evening or the whole train ride back to dublin later that night..actually i don't think ive been the same ever since..
a chilly wind blows outside my door,
outside i know not what's in store,
i see blurry red taillights as i make my way,
and fires behind me where ive layed

PostPosted: Wed February 5th, 2014, 20:28 GMT 

Brian_Eire wrote:
quick story..i first saw bob live in the fall of 2003 where he was suffering from a throat infection.. this combined with the poor sound in the venue and the fact i had no clue what he at that time sounded like added up to a confusing night..i barely understood a word but at the same time the sounds of the words were enthralling in some way..it's was like some language i had yet to come to fully comprehend...so after this i got fully into buying his album's and listening to boots but they mainly consisted of everything up to 75/76.. i had still yet to discover oh mercy, time out of mind and love and theft..yet as soon a i heard he was playing pearse stadium in the summer of 2004 in Galway i bought tickets and organised the trip..now i was more equipped this time around and bob was in fine voice..the power of it knocked me off my feet at times.. the most heart-stopping, show stopping moment came as the light began to fade, the sun was sinking over the crowd and he began to sing 'not dark yet'.. he couldn't have timed it any better..the crowd vanished around me as i intently listened to every word and had what i can only describe as a transcendent experience..almost religious in nature..i don't think i said a word to my then girlfriend or the rest of our friends that whole evening or the whole train ride back to dublin later that night..actually i don't think ive been the same ever since..
a chilly wind blows outside my door,
outside i know not what's in store,
i see blurry red taillights as i make my way,
and fires behind me where ive layed

Wonderful story. Had you been a Bob fan prior to that first show?

PostPosted: Wed February 5th, 2014, 22:34 GMT 

before the first show i had only really listening to blood on the tracks (which got me hook,line and sinker) and possibly the first greatest hits..but at the show i think i only recognized 'watchtower' :) .. looking back at the set he played 'man in the long black coat' and 'desolation row' too but i never fully experienced them till years later at the 2009 shows in the same venue which was now the o2. In fact the 3 shows i saw at blackpool in November rounded off my first decade of seeing bob live.. what a great ten years it's been,so grateful that he's still out there playing,inventing and changing year by year.. a real hero and inspiration to me

PostPosted: Wed February 5th, 2014, 22:38 GMT 
Titanium Member

I used to like this, and now I find kind it of mawkish. Not the theme, just the words and the way it's put over.

PostPosted: Thu May 1st, 2014, 18:41 GMT 

As much as I love the inclusion of 'What Good Am I?' into the setlist, I always think
that it's actually this far superior song (IMO) when it begins...
I think Bob's current voice and piano would actually turn this song into an absolute show-stopper...
especially after Beyond Here Lies Nothin:)

But anyways, here's an absolute gem of a version from 2010.
Bob sings this so expressively and the band responds sooo perfectly.
Also he pulls out a gorgeous harp solo that just cries that beautiful melody out as no voice could....

Linz Austria
June 12 2010
http://www.sendspace.com/file/lb8sbi

PostPosted: Mon March 7th, 2016, 17:13 GMT 

A powerful version from a year that's pretty underrated.
Also a year where this beautiful song was rarely played...
Bob delivers a heartfelt rendition capped off with a gorgeous harp solo...

'I've been to London, I've been to Gay Paris'

London Canada
November 3 2006
http://www.mediafire.com/download/dd1wl ... rk_Yet.mp3

PostPosted: Mon March 7th, 2016, 20:42 GMT 
Titanium Member

Ain't Talkin' wrote:
I used to like this, and now I find kind it of mawkish. Not the theme, just the words and the way it's put over.

I also felt transient 'joy' about this one, is it dark already?!?

PostPosted: Mon March 7th, 2016, 20:53 GMT 
Titanium Member

Like a wino hobo staggering in and out of the bus station door. This song is great ! One of the highlights of the LP.

PostPosted: Tue March 8th, 2016, 05:59 GMT 
Titanium Member

I remember a great live performance in Stockholm but as with all of the TOOM album there's something not happening in the studio.

PostPosted: Tue March 8th, 2016, 13:11 GMT 
Promethium Member

effort wrote:
I remember a great live performance in Stockholm but as with all of the TOOM album there's something not happening in the studio.

:shock:

Time Out of Mind is probably his third best sounding studio album and you say " there's something not happening in the studio.?"

It's going to take me a while to wrap my head around that...

Not Dark Yet is a standout gem on an album filled with stand out gems... Several albums were hyped "best album since he released _________" but Time Out of Mind most certainly was worthy of the hype and signaled he was on top of his craft.

PostPosted: Tue March 8th, 2016, 13:42 GMT 
Titanium Member

Plenty of good material alright but dead performances and one of the worst productions of Dylan albums, I'd say.