Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Tue September 25th, 2018, 15:21 GMT

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 227 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next
PostPosted: Mon October 18th, 2010, 14:46 GMT 
Titanium Member

Likewise for BD: TOMR.

PostPosted: Mon October 18th, 2010, 14:54 GMT 
Mercury Member

Bloody brilliant.

Can't think how Columbia / Sony could have improved on this release.

From the aesthetics and tactile feel of the album reproductions, the inner sleeves, the excellent booklet, to the sound, THE SOUND!!! - start to finish this box set is a real pleasure for us Old Bob followers.

Anyone who even dares to say they're ripping off the fans with this deserves for their knackers to be used as target practise by the combined female Olympic hammer and shot put teams. When its their time of the month.

PostPosted: Mon October 18th, 2010, 14:58 GMT 
Titanium Member

Don't have mine yet, but that's the way I felt about the SACD/hybrid box set.

PostPosted: Mon October 18th, 2010, 15:04 GMT 

The did get certain things right, such as no organ solo on "One Of Us Must Know." But someone sent me a scan of the musician credits and they're totally bizarre.

PostPosted: Mon October 18th, 2010, 15:19 GMT 

My first thought is where the chuffin' hell is the Mono box set and BS9?
C'mon HMV and Postie pull yer fingers out!

PostPosted: Mon October 18th, 2010, 15:20 GMT 
Mercury Member

PSB wrote:
The did get certain things right, such as no organ solo on "One Of Us Must Know." But someone sent me a scan of the musician credits and they're totally bizarre.

Havent checked them out yet - got examples?

PostPosted: Mon October 18th, 2010, 16:07 GMT 
Titanium Member

As I said, no McCoy on Desolation Row... stoopid.

PostPosted: Mon October 18th, 2010, 17:26 GMT 

"Bringing It All Back Home", "Highway 61 Revisited" & "Blonde On Blonde" sound so much better in mono. I can't believe it!!! Remasters didn't make such impression on me. Now, those songs sound real.

Acoustic albums are good, but nothing spectacular. I still didn't have time and will to listen to that mysterious "JWH" album.

PostPosted: Mon October 18th, 2010, 18:25 GMT 

Bennyboy wrote:
PSB wrote:

Havent checked them out yet - got examples?

No it's not out here yet. But Dag checked and reported.

PostPosted: Mon October 18th, 2010, 19:07 GMT 

I only had time to listen to H61R and it was a very good experience. I compared the two versions and the mono sounds warmer and more balanced.

PostPosted: Mon October 18th, 2010, 19:17 GMT 

I'm pretty psyched now to just get the best of single disc and call it good. The box set looks killer though.

PostPosted: Mon October 18th, 2010, 20:05 GMT 

that sounds promising, but i already own some sundazed which i personally found quite good and some us original mono rips. Especially the Blonde on Blonde rip sounds bloody marvelous.Is it possible that these new ones are better soundwise or is it just the packaging which got everyone that excited?

PostPosted: Mon October 18th, 2010, 21:08 GMT 
Mercury Member

bobbycat wrote:
that sounds promising, but i already own some sundazed which i personally found quite good and some us original mono rips. Especially the Blonde on Blonde rip sounds bloody marvelous.Is it possible that these new ones are better soundwise or is it just the packaging which got everyone that excited?

My gut feel tells me these are better than the extant vinyl rips from the Sundazed LPs. In Blonde on Blonde's case, for instance, the Dr Ebbetts needle drop of the Sundazed version is very bottom heavy and somewhat sluggish. The boxset mix, on the other hand, seems much better balanced and punchy - which actually corresponds to my own experience A/Bing between the original US mono vinyl and the Sundazed equivalent.

I havent done enough of a comparison to know for sure if the other album mixes are better or different though.

PostPosted: Mon October 18th, 2010, 22:40 GMT 
Titanium Member

I'm eager to see if JWH is a bit easier on the ears.

PostPosted: Mon October 18th, 2010, 22:58 GMT 
Promethium Member

Me too, though the thought of forking over 100 clams is a little off putting. Maybe it's time to start planting Christmas gift seeds...

PostPosted: Tue October 19th, 2010, 04:33 GMT 

Bennyboy wrote:
My gut feel tells me these are better than the extant vinyl rips from the Sundazed LPs. In Blonde on Blonde's case, for instance, the Dr Ebbetts needle drop of the Sundazed version is very bottom heavy and somewhat sluggish. The boxset mix, on the other hand, seems much better balanced and punchy - which actually corresponds to my own experience A/Bing between the original US mono vinyl and the Sundazed equivalent.

I havent done enough of a comparison to know for sure if the other album mixes are better or different though.

thanks for your comments, benny. I have some Sundazed vinyl rips, and now it seems as if I'll have to get these too............

PostPosted: Tue October 19th, 2010, 07:44 GMT 

Bennyboy wrote:
Bloody brilliant.

Can't think how Columbia / Sony could have improved on this release.

From the aesthetics and tactile feel of the album reproductions, the inner sleeves, the excellent booklet, to the sound, THE SOUND!!! - start to finish this box set is a real pleasure for us Old Bob followers.

Anyone who even dares to say they're ripping off the fans with this deserves for their knackers to be used as target practise by the combined female Olympic hammer and shot put teams. When its their time of the month.

I agree there's no reason for anyone to complain about this release, it's been done with a lot of loving care and it shows in every way from the packaging to the most important bit THE SOUND!!

Does anyone else like me wonder if they've tried to make up for the "BS8 TTS Deluxe" fiasco, by including "Brandeis" with both the Mono Box & BS9 for effectively anyone that wants it.

PostPosted: Tue October 19th, 2010, 08:28 GMT 
Mercury Member

Ok, so the relationship between the box set and my ears is still in its infancy, but here are some random quick and dirty thoughts. Bear in mind that I am yet to read the Marcus booklet so all comments are completely off top of head and unprompted and uninfluencde by the Holy Greil wild hallucinatory purple prose hype.

1) The fundamental flaw of the SACDs is they simultaneously managed to extract and expand lots of sonic information while changing and in some cases destroying the integrity of the actual songs. Take Blonde on Blonde, for example, and 'Visions of Johanna' specifically. On the SACD, the mix shotguns the instruments across the sound stage, with Dylan's vocals really upfront and in your face. So yes, you can hear those drums kick in on the right speaker, and the guitars on the left, but what you lose in this is the rhythmic drive of the song itself. Taken as a whole, the SACD song is slow and kind of half-lidded, that 3am feel of hungover excess perfectly captured. Nothing wrong with that. But then, listen to the mono version and you hear a completely different take on the song - now its much more dynamic, bang bang bang, all the sound united behind Dylan's urgent pressing vocals, making his pursuit of the visions seem more frantic, less resigned. There's actually far more of a sense of euphoria to the song than you'd infer from the SACD mix.
2) Bringing it all Back Home is much more poppy in its mono format. Mr Tambourine Man becomes - quite rightly - a much more joyful and bouncy song, with Dylan's vocals riding the crest of the mix rather than dominating it, a beautiful little guitar solo later on really defining that trippy sixties sound. The song becomes less draggy druggy and more celebratory. Strange, but there's a slight echo to the vocal track on the 4 acoustic songs that close the album which is not there in the SACD or other mixes of the album - it actually changes the degree to which the second half contrasts with the first in my opinion - the balance is more unified as a result.
3) 'Like A Rolling Stone' is simply immense, like the lightning of 1965 captured in a bottle and shoved in your face.
4) The 'Bob Dylan' debut album is just gorgeous. I fall in love with this album more with each day. The warmth and feeling in his voice! Phewee.
5) Times They Are A Changing' in mono loses the sterility of the SACD mix and restores its immediacy.
6) I havent listened to JWH yet. I'll do that today. Its good to have things to look forward to.

PostPosted: Tue October 19th, 2010, 08:56 GMT 

Bennyboy wrote:
Ok, so the relationship between the box set and my ears is still in its infancy, but here are some random quick and dirty thoughts. Bear in mind that I am yet to read the Marcus booklet so all comments are completely off top of head and unprompted and uninfluencde by the Holy Greil wild hallucinatory purple prose hype.

1) The fundamental flaw of the SACDs is they simultaneously managed to extract and expand lots of sonic information while changing and in some cases destroying the integrity of the actual songs. Take Blonde on Blonde, for example, and 'Visions of Johanna' specifically. On the SACD, the mix shotguns the instruments across the sound stage, with Dylan's vocals really upfront and in your face. So yes, you can hear those drums kick in on the right speaker, and the guitars on the left, but what you lose in this is the rhythmic drive of the song itself. Taken as a whole, the SACD song is slow and kind of half-lidded, that 3am feel of hungover excess perfectly captured. Nothing wrong with that. But then, listen to the mono version and you hear a completely different take on the song - now its much more dynamic, bang bang bang, all the sound united behind Dylan's urgent pressing vocals, making his pursuit of the visions seem more frantic, less resigned. There's actually far more of a sense of euphoria to the song than you'd infer from the SACD mix.
2) Bringing it all Back Home is much more poppy in its mono format. Mr Tambourine Man becomes - quite rightly - a much more joyful and bouncy song, with Dylan's vocals riding the crest of the mix rather than dominating it, a beautiful little guitar solo later on really defining that trippy sixties sound. The song becomes less draggy druggy and more celebratory. Strange, but there's a slight echo to the vocal track on the 4 acoustic songs that close the album which is not there in the SACD or other mixes of the album - it actually changes the degree to which the second half contrasts with the first in my opinion - the balance is more unified as a result.
3) 'Like A Rolling Stone' is simply immense, like the lightning of 1965 captured in a bottle and shoved in your face.
4) The 'Bob Dylan' debut album is just gorgeous. I fall in love with this album more with each day. The warmth and feeling in his voice! Phewee.
5) Times They Are A Changing' in mono loses the sterility of the SACD mix and restores its immediacy.
6) I havent listened to JWH yet. I'll do that today. Its good to have things to look forward to.

I agree totally in all points. Did you hear the drive and the bass on "Desolation row"? This is unbeliveable. Sounds like an epic rock song now.

PostPosted: Tue October 19th, 2010, 09:04 GMT 
Titanium Member

You've a treat ahead with JWH, warmth like a log fire on an autumn night!

PostPosted: Tue October 19th, 2010, 12:50 GMT 

I'm jealous that you all already have it. I'm crossing my fingers that it will be waiting for me when I return home from work today..

PostPosted: Tue October 19th, 2010, 14:30 GMT 

Bennyboy wrote:

There is no SACD mix of "The times they are a changing'" only a Stereo remaster

PostPosted: Tue October 19th, 2010, 15:16 GMT 

Shit, I might have to get that baby. Now I´m thinking of waiting for the vinyl box-set but will it be different sonically from the CD versions. I suppose not or what do you all think of it?

PostPosted: Tue October 19th, 2010, 15:18 GMT 
Mercury Member

Maria wrote:
Bennyboy wrote:

There is no SACD mix of "The times they are a changing'" only a Stereo remaster

Yeah, ok, anal retentive! I meant the 'Stereo remaster'....

You'll notice I also spelled the album title slightly wrongly :shock:

Peace be upon you Maria. You rock my world.

PostPosted: Tue October 19th, 2010, 16:05 GMT 

I haven't picked them up yet (and I'm still not sure if I will...the price is solid for what they included, but I just don't have the money to spend on things I already have at the moment), but I have a few questions:

1) How does the sound compare to the Sundazed releases? I can't stand my SUndazed copies of Highway 61 or Bringing it all Back Home.
2) Will the vinyl box actually be available for a decent period of time, unlike other newer vinyl releases like Time Out of Mind, Love & Theft, and anything from the bootleg series?
3) Are individual releases in the cards? I'd really like to get Blonde on Blonde, if nothing else.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 227 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next