Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Tue August 14th, 2018, 15:43 GMT

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri September 10th, 2010, 13:40 GMT 

We all remember about the stinky toilets...

http://articles.latimes.com/2009/mar/17 ... outhouse17

But it seems what's inside the estate is even stranger...

"The Point Dume estate had become even more extraordinary since Bob and Sara had divorced. In an attempt to obtain more privacy, Bob had planted fast-growing conifers around the perimeter. A military-style sentry box was built at the gate, with security men on duty. Once past the gate, there were several abandoned vehicles – vintage cars, vans, even an old ambulance rotting in a weed patch. There was a stack of rusting powerboats – testament to Bob’s brief enthusiasm for boating – and a gaily-painted gypsy caravan left over from the hippy artisans who had helped build the mansion. Bob had introduced chickens and pheasants to the property. Together with horses and several fearsome dogs, the clucking, squawking fowl gave the estate a farmlike atmosphere. Adjacent to the wood-frame mansion, with its copper dome and towering stone chimney stacks, was a private garden reserved for Bob’s use."

(Sounes, 2001, p.358)

Does anyone have the picture of Bob with all them rotting cars? That's so strange that he likes seeing rotting shit.

PostPosted: Fri September 10th, 2010, 15:14 GMT 

at your service :)

PostPosted: Fri September 10th, 2010, 15:26 GMT 

for some reason, I don't find this strange at all. If I had an ass load of money and a huge piece of property, I'd do much the same.

PostPosted: Fri September 10th, 2010, 15:31 GMT 

I believe he turns all sorts of things into Art.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Whc3G7R9rY

PostPosted: Fri September 10th, 2010, 15:56 GMT 

lotusia wrote:

what cars?

PostPosted: Fri September 10th, 2010, 16:00 GMT 

lotusia wrote:

Awesome. Thank you!!!

It is strange that he likes that sort of junk all over his property, but that picture is great. Where was it from? I remember it being in a magazine story on him in the early 2000s.

I'm being 100% serious - I wonder if Bob grows marijuana plants in that private garden on his property.

PostPosted: Fri September 10th, 2010, 16:14 GMT 

almost positive that picture is from Rolling Stone circa 2002.

-justin

PostPosted: Fri September 10th, 2010, 18:36 GMT 

easyluckyfree wrote:
lotusia wrote:

Awesome. Thank you!!!

It is strange that he likes that sort of junk all over his property, but that picture is great. Where was it from? I remember it being in a magazine story on him in the early 2000s.

I'm being 100% serious - I wonder if Bob grows marijuana plants in that private garden on his property.

I doubt that very much. He wouldnt do anything to jeopardize his travelling. Smoking a doob is one thing..growing it is against the law...and i cant see him doing that.

PostPosted: Fri September 10th, 2010, 19:02 GMT 
Mercury Member

There is an interview from the early 70's where he talks about the house..... seems they bought this nice little three bedroom house ... nice neighborhood, kids could ride their bikes to school.... and then decided before they could move in they needed to add a bedroom..... so the work started and he went out of town.... got back... drove out to see the work.... and the house except for one wall was gone.... :shock: in some areas there is laws against building a new house, but you can tear down everything but one wall and then "renovate". Well, while he was out of town the Mrs. decided to renovate.... seems once he got over the shock (in the interview he says he found the contractor and said "Where's the house?" :x )..... he got into the spirit of it too..... but then he would decide one thing and go out of town and she would decide something else and then he would come back and change it back.... at one point there are stories of tents with various artist camping out working on stuff.... and I have seen pics in magazines of his special brickwork on the walkways.... curves, very cool looking.... and there is suppose to be a lot of custom tile work..... years ago it was written about in home design magazines... Suppose to have one really giant swimming pool..... On one interview video you can see it in the background.... .He has said that the big copper onion on the top is just so that he can find his way home ..... :lol: There is also a story of him buying some car that he owned when he was younger and wanting to hang it from the living room ceiling.... the contractor by that time ready for anything just asked if that would be with or without the engine in it...... when asked how big he wanted the living room to be..... Bob was suppose to have said... 'big enough to ride a horse thru it'....There is also a big tile mosaic of a whale by the front entry..... These stories are spread out thru various stories and interviews..... the biggest problem is suppose to be that part of California is slidding into the ocean.... but his property (at least the part with the house) is not ocean front..... but since the original purchase I think he has added quite a bit of land around it. It seems that he was not concerned since he says "100 years from now it won't be the house that they remember me for" ... how very true..... From the pics that I have seen it looks to be rather in the "Arts and Crafts" style.... with a big wrap around porch....that was big in the turn of the last century, around 1900-1910....

PostPosted: Fri September 10th, 2010, 19:34 GMT 

Quote:
Where was it from? I remember it being in a magazine story on him in the early 2000s.

Newsweek 2004 - photos by Brigitte Lacombe
More here (with horses !) >
http://dylanstubs.com/pictures/2004_Fall/index.html

PostPosted: Fri September 10th, 2010, 20:43 GMT 

Lily Rose wrote:
There is an interview from the early 70's where he talks about the house..... seems they bought this nice little three bedroom house ... nice neighborhood, kids could ride their bikes to school.... and then decided before they could move in they needed to add a bedroom..... so the work started and he went out of town.... got back... drove out to see the work.... and the house except for one wall was gone.... :shock: in some areas there is laws against building a new house, but you can tear down everything but one wall and then "renovate". Well, while he was out of town the Mrs. decided to renovate.... seems once he got over the shock (in the interview he says he found the contractor and said "Where's the house?" :x )..... he got into the spirit of it too..... but then he would decide one thing and go out of town and she would decide something else and then he would come back and change it back.... at one point there are stories of tents with various artist camping out working on stuff.... and I have seen pics in magazines of his special brickwork on the walkways.... curves, very cool looking.... and there is suppose to be a lot of custom tile work..... years ago it was written about in home design magazines... Suppose to have one really giant swimming pool..... On one interview video you can see it in the background.... .He has said that the big copper onion on the top is just so that he can find his way home ..... :lol: There is also a story of him buying some car that he owned when he was younger and wanting to hang it from the living room ceiling.... the contractor by that time ready for anything just asked if that would be with or without the engine in it...... when asked how big he wanted the living room to be..... Bob was suppose to have said... 'big enough to ride a horse thru it'....There is also a big tile mosaic of a whale by the front entry..... These stories are spread out thru various stories and interviews..... the biggest problem is suppose to be that part of California is slidding into the ocean.... but his property (at least the part with the house) is not ocean front..... but since the original purchase I think he has added quite a bit of land around it. It seems that he was not concerned since he says "100 years from now it won't be the house that they remember me for" ... how very true..... From the pics that I have seen it looks to be rather in the "Arts and Crafts" style.... with a big wrap around porch....that was big in the turn of the last century, around 1900-1910....

Great info!

I seem to remember a picture of the supposed whale mosaic, but can't remember. I am going to watch the 20/20 interview because that was made on the Malibu property.

PostPosted: Sat September 11th, 2010, 03:06 GMT 

midnightrain wrote:
for some reason, I don't find this strange at all. If I had an ass load of money and a huge piece of property, I'd do much the same.

Same here - I like old cars and would store them if I could.

Can't say the same thing about fowl though.

PostPosted: Sat September 11th, 2010, 03:47 GMT 

http://dylanstubs.com/pictures/1976_2/B ... Xanadu.jpg

PostPosted: Sat September 11th, 2010, 04:46 GMT 
Mercury Member

janalyn wrote:

Yes, thank you, that first one is the one that I remember seeing of the house.... and you are right that does seem like it is in the background there too.... and that guy in the fore ground is pretty good too.... but what about that statue back by the chairs???? :roll:

PostPosted: Sat September 11th, 2010, 13:19 GMT 

easyluckyfree wrote:
That's so strange that he likes seeing rotting shit.

You could say the same about the NET audience on any given night.

PostPosted: Sat September 11th, 2010, 13:30 GMT 
Mercury Member

Street Beagle wrote:
easyluckyfree wrote:

To this comment... you have not seen the new show "American Pickers".... there are lots of people out that that do the same thing....and make a lot of money doing it too... :wink:

To this one.... is that just a comment of opportunity or do you really think that?... if the second than you need to get off you little doggie ass and go and see the current tour.... there is nothing rotting about that show...crash the gates and hide out under during sound check if you must, but go....

PostPosted: Sat September 11th, 2010, 13:42 GMT 

PostPosted: Sat September 11th, 2010, 13:46 GMT 
Mercury Member

^^^^ yeah, you can take a date if you want.... but I suggest you at least buy her a ticket, the gate crash thing might not go over very well.... :P

PostPosted: Sat September 11th, 2010, 13:52 GMT 
Titanium Member

has anyone tried looking for it on google earth?

edit: I think this may be it http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&sourc ... 1&t=h&z=19

PostPosted: Sat September 11th, 2010, 14:12 GMT 
Senior Moderator

I remember hearing too about special murals painted on each child's bedroom. Sad to think, that as little kids, I wonder how often they were there and if they thought of it as home?

PostPosted: Sat September 11th, 2010, 14:25 GMT 

lotusia wrote:

Hah! I love that! Never saw it before!

Didn't Bob say (or joke) in Chronicles that he was going to be working in metal? Welding? :?

PostPosted: Sat September 11th, 2010, 15:46 GMT 

"
Attachment:
Dylan's Point Dume, Malibu house with Kremlin dome.jpg
don't go mistakin' paradise for that home across the road"...............(click on picture then open link -new window- for larger size)............."you might live in a mansion ; you may live in a dome , but your still gonna have to serve somebody"

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sat September 11th, 2010, 16:06 GMT 

Street Beagle wrote:
easyluckyfree wrote:

Et tu Beagle?

PostPosted: Sat September 11th, 2010, 17:01 GMT 
Mercury Member

It is easy to understand how Samantha Brown stayed at his house for four or five months and he never slept with .... even once.... in a house that big I am sure he could never find her!!! :P

I really do hope that the kids and grandkids all come over and stay occasionally.... or that big house could get very lonely at times..... Oh, heck, I bet the rumours that he has two or three wives at the same time are all true.... and he could keep them all right there and they would never see each other... :lol:

PostPosted: Sat September 11th, 2010, 18:21 GMT 

ShoreGirl wrote:
lotusia wrote:

Hah! I love that! Never saw it before!

Didn't Bob say (or joke) in Chronicles that he was going to be working in metal? Welding? :?

Srap metal, dangerous stuff. You could so easily hurt your hand... :!: