Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Mon August 20th, 2018, 03:20 GMT

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Dylan's fanbase
PostPosted: Sun June 20th, 2010, 20:02 GMT 
Titanium Member

I would take my family to visit the Bobworld theme park in Minnesota, if it gets off the ground like they are saying.

We have been to Kennyworld and although it was expensive we enjoyed the Gambler train ride and if it is the same people that are behind Bobworld then count me in.

I know there is talk about a Desolation Row sideshow alley and an All Along The Watchtower ferris wheel and Knocking on Heaven's Door moon landing tribute and a huge Hurricane rollercoaster.

I just hope that in addition to the Bob Goes Eletrical exhibition --where you can experience 10,000 volts like Bob did that day at Newport in 65 which made his hair standout -- that they have a Winter Wonderland Christmas section as well where Must Be Santa plays and you can skate to Winterlude.

PostPosted: Sun June 20th, 2010, 20:08 GMT 
Titanium Member

Bennyboy wrote:
Being a Dylan fan at any age is hardly a badge of honour, you know. It doesn't mark you out as being 'special' or anything. You just like his stuff. Its coincidence you got into him - as there's an infinite number of universes and parallel realities, you're also into Miley Cyrus, Leo Sayer, The Wedding Present, Saxon, Celine Dion and The Pixies and posting in their fan forums about how great they are.

Get over yourselves.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7X2_V60YK8

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________

Romeo, he said to Juliet, “You got a poor complexion
It doesn’t give your appearance a very youthful touch!”
Juliet said back to Romeo, “Why don’t you just shove off
If it bothers you so much?"

PostPosted: Tue June 22nd, 2010, 20:32 GMT 

Bennyboy wrote:
Being a Dylan fan at any age is hardly a badge of honour, you know. It doesn't mark you out as being 'special' or anything. You just like his stuff. Its coincidence you got into him - as there's an infinite number of universes and parallel realities, you're also into Miley Cyrus, Leo Sayer, The Wedding Present, Saxon, Celine Dion and The Pixies and posting in their fan forums about how great they are.

Get over yourselves.

Don't talk that way in front of the kids.

PostPosted: Wed June 23rd, 2010, 13:43 GMT 
Promethium Member

Bennyboy wrote:

Get over yourselves.

It is the same thing - except that Dylan is obviously better than all those people.

PostPosted: Wed June 23rd, 2010, 20:09 GMT 
Titanium Member

:lol:

I wanna find alternate universe Parren Wease and kick his Christina Aguilera-lovin' ass. The pussy.

Romeo, he said to Juliet, “You got a poor complexion
It doesn’t give your appearance a very youthful touch!”
Juliet said back to Romeo, “Why don’t you just shove off
If it bothers you so much?"

PostPosted: Thu June 24th, 2010, 21:25 GMT 

Well I'm in my mid-twenties. I think with the advent of the Internet people are not just bound to what they hear on the radio. mainstream radio does still have a market, but it is only one market. There are millions of people who seek out music in other places, which is why I think there will always be enough young'ens out there discovering music like Bob Dylan even long after he is gone.

PostPosted: Mon May 18th, 2015, 13:42 GMT 
Titanium Member

blind_boy_grunt wrote:
I'm in my 20's, smoke copius amounts of green and listen to almost exclusively to Dylan.

I intend to stay this way forever.

I miss Blind Boy Grunt. I wonder if he did stay that way. :(

PostPosted: Mon May 18th, 2015, 15:13 GMT 
Mercury Member

I thought this thread was called Dylan's Freebase.... what a disappointment

PostPosted: Tue May 19th, 2015, 02:07 GMT 

gibsona07 wrote:
blind_boy_grunt wrote:
I'm in my 20's, smoke copius amounts of green and listen to almost exclusively to Dylan.

Ha, Good ol' Blind Boy Grunt, I remember his theory about this site being a grand experiment
in artificial intelligence and he surmised it was all just a computer generated mobius strip...
tooooo funny, I laughed out loud.
But now... now, I'm not so sure.

PostPosted: Tue May 19th, 2015, 03:57 GMT 
Titanium Member

so funny dingo. maybe he was onto something that the Mobius Strip won't let us know now :lol:

PostPosted: Wed May 27th, 2015, 16:11 GMT 

I've never met a Dylan fan who wasn't under 60 and a miserable sod.

PostPosted: Wed May 27th, 2015, 16:28 GMT 

Spanish Johnny wrote:

Have you heard his music?

PostPosted: Wed May 27th, 2015, 17:17 GMT 
Promethium Member

Everybody has a story to tell

PostPosted: Wed May 27th, 2015, 17:34 GMT 
Promethium Member

Spanish Johnny wrote:

Maybe you should get to a show, Johnny.

PostPosted: Wed May 27th, 2015, 18:55 GMT 

Spanish Johnny wrote:

50% right SJ. I am not 60 yet, but I am a miserable bastard. More from supporting Everton, than listening to his Bobness though.

PostPosted: Wed May 27th, 2015, 20:26 GMT 

Leonard wrote:
Spanish Johnny wrote:

50% right SJ. I am not 60 yet, but I am a miserable bastard. More from supporting Everton, than listening to his Bobness though.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Wed May 27th, 2015, 21:36 GMT 
Mercury Member

njison83 wrote:
Captain Cadillac wrote:
I just turned 20. I have been listening to Dylan for about 4 years now. Most of my friends don't listen to Bob but they still appreciate what he has done, which is cool. I did however managed to convert my girlfriend into a fan and she has since attended her first dylan concert.

I'm envious. I'm 27 now, started listening to Bob maybe 5 or 6 years ago. My friends have no interest in his music, and I still haven't been able to get my wife into it. She's gone to a few shows with me, but it's one of those "I did that for you, now you need to do something for me" situations. Oh, the hard life of Bob Dylan fans....

:lol:

For such a young fan you are wise beyond your years.

Welcome to party

PostPosted: Wed May 27th, 2015, 23:13 GMT 

One thing for sure about his fan base, it it is widespread. Language is no barrier, and his music charts in many countries, and he performs on almost every continent.
People enjoyed his music 50 years ago, and I reckon some will be just as keen 50 years hence. Inevitably people return to the source and whichever popular musical stream people travel down they will find Dylan. Age matters not.

PostPosted: Mon July 16th, 2018, 20:04 GMT 

gibsona07 wrote:
blind_boy_grunt wrote:

I was banned years ago, so I don't suppose the powers that be will mind me checking in here.

In my early 20s I did indeed smoke copious amounts of green and listened almost exclusively to Dylan, but I was also pretty badly depressed as the more perceptive among you may have detected from my posts.

I broadened my musical horizons a few years ago, and managed to break free from the weird, shaman like trance that Bob's music had held me for 5 plus years. I still love Dylan, but I also love The National, War on Drugs, Neutral Milk Hotel and pretty much any other indie sad boi you care to mention.

I gave up the weed (it's no good, kids) and I rarely listen to Dylan anymore, although I am currently treating my neighbours to a blast of Caribbean Wind. I just checked back in here to download the Golden Vanity bootleg, good old ER.

Anyway, if anyone ever reads this I hope all are well. Love to Mr Matt, TellmeMomma, Mr Moth, and all the guys from the good old days.

RIP Boston

PostPosted: Mon July 16th, 2018, 20:20 GMT 
Titanium Member

Hi Blind Boy! Good to see your keeping well. I saw Neutral Milk Hotel at the Barrowlands once and it was one of the greatest gigs I ever saw.

PostPosted: Tue July 17th, 2018, 09:53 GMT 

I became a Dylan fan when I was 16 and all my friends in school made fun of me.

I think Bob Dylan's music will always be able to win over young people, but I also think it's time that more of us younger people actively join the conversation around Dylan. Most of the people writing about him are still over 50 or 60. That's wonderful, but it's time younger people get involved and in the process re-evaluate why Dylan remains a relevant artist for our time.

That was one of my main motivations when I started my radio show Definitely Dylan earlier this year (I'm in my early 30s now). I play music, but also analyse lyrics and performances, tell stories, and contextualise (and sometimes call out Clinton Heylin's sexism). It's a show for hardcore fans, but also for people new to Dylan, who are open to seeing him as more than just a 60s icon for baby boomers. The biggest compliment for me is that I've had quite a few people contacting me to say that my show has turned them into Dylan fans.

I would love it if especially younger people gave it a listen and joined the conversation!

You can find all previous 25 episodes here: https://www.mixcloud.com/definitelydylan/

PostPosted: Tue July 17th, 2018, 21:16 GMT 

I'm 41, and my first Dylan show was in 95. I always knew I was late to the party, but better late than never!

PostPosted: Wed July 18th, 2018, 16:24 GMT 

I think a lot of young people would like Dylan, if they were exposed. Obviously, I'm talking about intelligent young people who read.

Just as I don't expose myself to other artists that I'd like, a lot of people haven't heard his best stuff. They may associate Bob with only 1 or 2 of his songs.

But I have seen young teens at the concerts who are huge fans. One girl about 14 kept screaming, "I love you, Bob." Warmed the cockles of my heart.

PostPosted: Wed July 18th, 2018, 18:26 GMT 

Most Dylan fans I meet are absolute anoraks.

God bless them.

PostPosted: Wed July 18th, 2018, 18:59 GMT 

Leonard wrote:
Most Dylan fans I meet are absolute anoraks.

God bless them.

Just looked that up.

British informal, derogatory a studious or obsessive person with unfashionable and largely solitary interests: with his thick specs, shabby shoes, and grey suit, he looks a bit of an anorak.

It says "derogatory," but the description doesn't sound very derogatory to me.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next