Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Thu August 16th, 2018, 09:48 GMT

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Dylan's fanbase
PostPosted: Thu June 17th, 2010, 17:14 GMT 
Titanium Member

im 19 and started listening to dylan about 4 years ago, dont know any other dylan fans! most people seem suprised that i listen to ''old'' music, but to me music is music regardless of when it is from

PostPosted: Thu June 17th, 2010, 17:58 GMT 

"Old music"? Good God, man! What kind of people are you all hanging around with?

PostPosted: Thu June 17th, 2010, 18:12 GMT 

I'm in my 20's, smoke copius amounts of green and listen to almost exclusively to Dylan.

I intend to stay this way forever.

PostPosted: Thu June 17th, 2010, 18:33 GMT 

^ What he said. 8)

I have a brother (20) and a sister (14) who are also big Dylan fans. My sister is doing her best to share Bob's songs with her friends, but she has been similarly ridiculed for listening to "old" music and completely disregarding the whole Jonas Brothers/Miley/Taylor Swift monstrosity. Even my dad calls her a slacker and a druggie when he walks by her room and hears Bob singing. :lol: I do think she's managed to turn a few kids onto the music, but she claims that most of them honestly prefer Justin Bieber...?? Incomprehensible, to say the least.

PostPosted: Thu June 17th, 2010, 19:33 GMT 

Ya I am in my early twenties and I can't get any of my friends to let me play Dylan when they are around. Ever since I started listening to Bob freshman year of college, people would say "ya that sounds like your kind of music, now can you please turn it off." Not really sure what the hell that is supposed to mean. To be fair though, it did take me a while before I could stand a lot of his stuff - especially Blonde on Bonde, which I knew was a great album, but just had a hard to time getting used to. Luckily my girlfriend lets me play Bobby in the car and at home, so I am happy enough.

PostPosted: Fri June 18th, 2010, 15:02 GMT 

I'm 20 and first heard Dylan 3-4 years ago but started really getting into him in '08 or so. Around then I first heard his big songs [Like a Rolling Stone, Hurricane, Heaven's Door, Times They Are A-Changin etc]. I used to be friends with a guy my age who liked those songs, but I'm sure he never heard anything else from the man, he wasn't that into music. I'm a big music fan so I found it easy to appreciate those, since they're undeniable in quality. I didn't mind his voice on these songs but as I delved deeper I found it strange on some songs that he could get away with singing like that.

Part of the intrigue for me was how his voice evolved, when you see McCartney's voice staying pretty much the same over 50 years and Bob's getting damaged it was kind of startling. But just about every album of his has at least some great material on it and he eventually became one of my favorite artists.

Most people my age listen to exclusively modern stuff [either rock or electronic] and the one time I tried to turn someone onto Dylan via a mix CD he was unmoved apart from Hurricane, Rolling Stone, Heaven's Door and If You See Her, Say Hello - but the voice was a stumbling block for him.

I had to laugh at the mention of Dylan being called "old music", but those people are clearly casual music fans who are used to more cleanly produced, lifeless music. Any serious music fan will listen to music from any era as long as it's good. Dylan is one of the most unique artists of all-time and while that makes him great it also makes it hard for him to fit in among other stuff. He's an artist you need to really know the full story about to appreciate IMO.

PostPosted: Sat June 19th, 2010, 02:15 GMT 
Senior Moderator

This is my favorite thread this week, beside the one announcing the US tour dates.

PostPosted: Sat June 19th, 2010, 13:36 GMT 

I'm 2 years old and I love Bob Dylan, he is that good that he can even enlighten 2 year olds.

PostPosted: Sat June 19th, 2010, 21:07 GMT 
Mercury Member

feet_of_a_harlot wrote:
I'm 2 years old and I love Bob Dylan, he is that good that he can even enlighten 2 year olds.

That's nothing - my Dad was playing 'If Dogs Run Free' in 1971 when I was conceived, and all my life I've been cursed with involuntary breakouts of scat singing.

PostPosted: Sat June 19th, 2010, 21:25 GMT 

Bennyboy wrote:
feet_of_a_harlot wrote:

That's nothing - my Dad was playing 'If Dogs Run Free' in 1971 when I was conceived, and all my life I've been cursed with involuntary breakouts of scat singing.

Have you considered seeing a doctor? It sounds to me like it could be the Dylan version of Tourettes, I know of some rare cases.

PostPosted: Sat June 19th, 2010, 21:28 GMT 

It's been 5 years sonce i started to listen Bob's music, when I was 20.
Unfortunately, I dont know people who enjoy his music like I do.
Most of the youngle people i know are listening shitty music from the radio, they would never even try to listen a Bob Dylan album, because it's too old!
On internet, I have meet a lot of young fans, some of them are even much younger than me!
Maybe one day, my future children will borrow my Dylan album!

I remember my first Dylan show in 2006, next to me, there was a old man, and he was really excited to see Bob, just as exited as me!

PostPosted: Sat June 19th, 2010, 21:32 GMT 

Bungalow Bill wrote:
Most of the youngle people i know are listening shitty music from the radio, they would never even try to listen a Bob Dylan album, because it's too old!
On internet, I have meet a lot of young fans, some of them are even much younger than me!

I remember my first Dylan show in 2006, next to me, there was a old man, and he was really excited to see Bob, just as exited as me!

Exited? Haha.

PostPosted: Sat June 19th, 2010, 21:33 GMT 
Titanium Member

I'm nearing my seventeenth birthday and am a big enough Dylan fan to be visiting ER regularly. Most of my friends don't like dylan but there is a sort of reverence towards, most people think he's quite cool and this rubs of quite favourably on me. :wink: what can I say? Chicks dig Dylan :lol:

PostPosted: Sat June 19th, 2010, 21:40 GMT 

gibsona07 wrote:
I'm nearing my seventeenth birthday and am a big enough Dylan fan to be visiting ER regularly. Most of my friends don't like dylan but there is a sort of reverence towards, most people think he's quite cool and this rubs of quite favourably on me. :wink: what can I say? Chicks dig Dylan :lol:

I became a Dylan fan in 1985 when I was 12 years old, I liked the name Bob Dylan and saw he was playing live on TV at Live Aid, I was intrigued and watched his set and his set only, I then bought At Budokan the following year and then all the rest followed, I first saw him in 1987 when I persuaded my parents into accompanying me to Birmingham UK, the Oct 11th show, the rest is history.

None of my family were Dylan fans, my becoming a fan was completely independent and I am proud of that fact.

PostPosted: Sat June 19th, 2010, 22:04 GMT 

feet_of_a_harlot wrote:
Bungalow Bill wrote:

Exited? Haha.

Excited, haha.

PostPosted: Sat June 19th, 2010, 22:48 GMT 

I'm almost 19 and I've been a Dylan fan since I was about 15. I saw him for my 17th birthday and it was amazing. None of my friends like him, so it's good to see other young people out there who appreciate great, timeless music.

PostPosted: Sat June 19th, 2010, 22:58 GMT 
Titanium Member

If I came from outer space and landed on earth just now and heard my favorite Bob Dylan albums for the first time, I would think this is my kind of music!

PostPosted: Sat June 19th, 2010, 23:34 GMT 
Titanium Member

I found that age increases the enjoyment of Dylan among the people I know. When I was 12 they were like "uggggh he's so whiny bla bla bla" and now they're like "oh my god, yeah he's pretty damn cool" and I'm just like ha ha ha oh you people. It's good times 8)

PostPosted: Sun June 20th, 2010, 00:08 GMT 

No matter what age you are, Bob is enjoyed by people who are interested in words, ideas, and the unusual way he expresses ideas both mundane and profound. I listened to 5 hours of Bob yesterday and once again was amazed by him. He is one of a kind... a songwriter/singer ahead of his time.

PostPosted: Sun June 20th, 2010, 16:30 GMT 
Senior Moderator

I've found that all the young Dylan fans I've met are well-read, mature, and very bright. Not your "typical" young music fan if there is such a thing.

I have a niece who just graduated from College. Although a great kid (I'm biased), her taste music sucks for her age. She's also immature in other ways.

My other nieces and nephews - now they're a completely different story.

PostPosted: Sun June 20th, 2010, 16:40 GMT 
Titanium Member

Lila wrote:
I'm almost 19 and I've been a Dylan fan since I was about 15. I saw him for my 17th birthday and it was amazing. None of my friends like him, so it's good to see other young people out there who appreciate great, timeless music.

very well said

PostPosted: Sun June 20th, 2010, 19:30 GMT 
Mercury Member

Being a Dylan fan at any age is hardly a badge of honour, you know. It doesn't mark you out as being 'special' or anything. You just like his stuff. Its coincidence you got into him - as there's an infinite number of universes and parallel realities, you're also into Miley Cyrus, Leo Sayer, The Wedding Present, Saxon, Celine Dion and The Pixies and posting in their fan forums about how great they are.

Get over yourselves.

PostPosted: Sun June 20th, 2010, 19:32 GMT 

Bennyboy wrote:
Being a Dylan fan at any age is hardly a badge of honour, you know. It doesn't mark you out as being 'special' or anything. You just like his stuff. Its coincidence you got into him - as there's an infinite number of universes and parallel realities, you're also into Miley Cyrus, Leo Sayer, The Wedding Present, Saxon, Celine Dion and The Pixies and posting in their fan forums about how great they are.

Get over yourselves.

But my mommy said I was special?

PostPosted: Sun June 20th, 2010, 19:46 GMT 
Senior Moderator

Bennyboy wrote:

Get over yourselves.

Okay, Mr. Crankypants

PostPosted: Sun June 20th, 2010, 19:54 GMT 

BostonAreaBobFan wrote:
Bennyboy wrote:

Get over yourselves.

Okay, Mr. Crankypants

And good to see that he's temporalily forsaken the Saxon forum to gild the ending to our collective weekend.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next