Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Tue February 19th, 2019, 11:23 GMT

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat May 3rd, 2014, 06:27 GMT 

Everytime I listen to 'World Gone Wrong' and 'Good As I Been To You' Dylan's wonderful guitar playing leaves me with one question: Are there multiple guitar tracks at the same time to hear or are these beautiful songs recorded live as can be? Might be a stupid question ;) but at times I think theres too much melodypicking and strong strumming at the same time.

PostPosted: Sat May 3rd, 2014, 11:38 GMT 

Bob is an under-appreciated acoustic guitar player.

PostPosted: Sat May 3rd, 2014, 11:47 GMT 

As a non-musician, with no ear for for the technical side of things, I've often wondered this myself. To me it sounds like two guitars. But Dylan is the only one listed in the credits, so I'm under the impression that he's just that good.

PostPosted: Sat May 3rd, 2014, 12:07 GMT 

Bob Dylan recorded these tracks in his home studio. So it is quite possible that he recorded multiple tracks and put them together for the final mix of the songs. Of course: Dylan is the only noted guitarist in the album-credidts. But maybe he's playing along "with himself" just like he did in his vocal-duet with himself in 'the boxer'.

On the other hand:

If we look for the chords or the tabs to see how the songs are played in detail (dylanchords.info etc) theres NEVER a second guitar mentioned anywhere. I suppose that if there was actually more than one guitar to hear, a guitar-pro would have noticed that and wrote down the notes for that second instrument.

I could swear there's more than one guitar ;) Love these albums!

PostPosted: Sat May 3rd, 2014, 12:46 GMT 
Titanium Member

One guitar, live as can be. Bob rarely goes for that fool overdubbing.

PostPosted: Sat May 3rd, 2014, 16:15 GMT 

Yeah, I do not believe for one moment that Bob did any serious over-dubbing on those records. The only "produced" moment is the (terrific) echo on the vocal to "Jack a Roe."

I love the guitar-playing, but even my non-expert ear can hear that it's full of mistakes. Which tends to support the idea that it's just him rolling in and cutting the track live. Whether he can still play like that is another story - arthritis, etc..

PostPosted: Sat May 3rd, 2014, 17:34 GMT 
Titanium Member

Karsten wrote:
Everytime I listen to 'World Gone Wrong' and 'Good As I Been To You' Dylan's wonderful guitar playing leaves me with one question: Are there multiple guitar tracks at the same time? At times there's too much melody picking and strong strumming at the same time.

Could you point out the sections that make you wonder?
I've heard this about a Mississippi John Hurt track, that there has been widespread disbelief that it was just him - I believe it was regarding 'Frankie' on the Anthology?

PostPosted: Sat May 3rd, 2014, 17:40 GMT 

One guitar. he's just got that fast movin pick.

Frankie by John Hurt is one guitar, he's got those busy fingers.

PostPosted: Sat May 3rd, 2014, 18:23 GMT 

AndoDoug wrote:
Could you point out the sections that make you wonder?

Sorry, no particular section that I could point out. Guess I have to give those recordings another headphone session. Looking at the thread here I hardly doubt that there is really a second track or sth. If there was anything like that somebody had pointed it out I guess.

But I think its a funny thing that there are other people getting my point even there is no second guitar after all.

PostPosted: Sat May 3rd, 2014, 18:33 GMT 
Titanium Member

AndoDoug wrote:
I've heard this about a Mississippi John Hurt track, that there has been widespread disbelief that it was just him - I believe it was regarding 'Frankie' on the Anthology?

There's an old, old story that Andres Segovia heard Frankie and was in disbelief it was one guitar - probably apocryphal.

PostPosted: Sat May 3rd, 2014, 19:15 GMT 

I don't know if this is the case in actual fact, but the guitar on Good As I Been To You has always given sounded to me as if it were mixed from signals coming from both a microphone and a pickup. I think this may be what conveys the slight impression of two guitars in places. World Gone Wrong, on the other hand, has always sounded like a straight mic recording to me.

PostPosted: Sat May 3rd, 2014, 19:24 GMT 
Titanium Member

Given Bob's overall idiosyncratic approach to phrasing, I'm not even sure that an overdubbing attempt could have been successful. He'd have had a train wreck with himself.

PostPosted: Sun May 4th, 2014, 06:26 GMT 

Been listening to GAIBTY yesterday in bed, fell asleep at the end of 'Blackjack Davey' because I was very tired ;) Well, I think the mixed signals from a mic and a pickup is a very interesting approch on the aural illusion of a sound of multiple guitars wich is definitely there. THX for pointing that out! The sound of dylans guitar seems to come from slightly different places.

PostPosted: Sun May 4th, 2014, 15:01 GMT 
Promethium Member

I dont think so.. I mean,..there's one guitar...may be the reverb in his amplifier makes that effect, ...'cause I'm sure that He's playing plugged.

PostPosted: Sun May 4th, 2014, 16:40 GMT 
Titanium Member

Anyone know what guitar he's playing? A Gibson or Martin?

I remember the engineer, Michel Ryan talking about both sessions, but I don't remember where that stuff is anymore.

PostPosted: Sun May 4th, 2014, 17:21 GMT 
Promethium Member

Jordan wrote:

This is true of Bob's electric guitar soloing as well...

PostPosted: Sun May 4th, 2014, 17:28 GMT 
Promethium Member

Karsten wrote:
Been listening to GAIBTY yesterday in bed, fell asleep at the end of 'Blackjack Davey' because I was very tired ;) Well, I think the mixed signals from a mic and a pickup is a very interesting approch on the aural illusion of a sound of multiple guitars wich is definitely there. THX for pointing that out! The sound of dylans guitar seems to come from slightly different places.

It's possibly a guitar pickup that allows the signal to be spread across the stereo spectrum. There seems to be a bit of this effect on GAIBTY, while WGW has more of a natural sound to it.

There are not two guitars playing at once at any point. It is possible that one or more takes were spliced together, and theoretically possible that vocals were overdubbed afterwards although the sympathy achieved between the vocals and guitar playing would probably be harder to duplicate with overdubs than to simply record live.

PostPosted: Sun May 4th, 2014, 17:40 GMT 
Promethium Member

goodnitesteve wrote:
Anyone know what guitar he's playing? A Gibson or Martin?

I remember the engineer, Michel Ryan talking about both sessions, but I don't remember where that stuff is anymore.

For that age He was playing some Martin's in his live shows ... I bet for Martin HD-28

PostPosted: Wed May 14th, 2014, 07:46 GMT 

The Mighty Monkey Of Mim wrote:
I don't know if this is the case in actual fact, but the guitar on Good As I Been To You has always given sounded to me as if it were mixed from signals coming from both a microphone and a pickup. I think this may be what conveys the slight impression of two guitars in places. World Gone Wrong, on the other hand, has always sounded like a straight mic recording to me.

This. Pick-up on the guitar, and then at least two mics aimed at different points on the guitar. Commonplace practice. All are either EQ'ed or panned in the stereo spectrum slightly differently to give the record a fuller sound.

To my ears, either his vocal mic is also picking up the guitar or they have another mic away from the guitar/vox to pick up ambiance.

FYI, on one of the albums the pick-up on the guitar is noticeably louder than the acoustic mics.

I should also note that, when you listen closely, you can tell that these tracks aren't all from the same session; there are subtle sonic differences across the tracks.

When I transitioned from playing electric guitar in bands to more of an acoustic singer/songwriter thing I spent a ton of time learning all the songs on these two records--On some days, they may be my favorite Dylan records.

PostPosted: Wed May 14th, 2014, 08:19 GMT 

I love both albums, which I keep listening to regularly since their releases.
And I remember when WGW came out somebody from Sony, if not one of the "Dylan people", stated that unlike GAIBTY in this new album there was some overdubbing. I have never had motive to doubt that in the following years of listenings.

PostPosted: Wed May 14th, 2014, 21:59 GMT 

It's still so weird, those two albums with all that suddenly incredible folk blues guitar playing. I mean, where in the previous 30 years was there any indication that Bob had gone from what he was doing in the early 60's on the acoustic guitar to being capable of anything like Step It Up And Go or in particular the astonishing Broke Down Engine.

Broke Down Engine's some of the best folk blues guitar playing this side of John Hammond Jr. Crazy good playing. I was convinced for a while he was playing slide on that track but nah.

PostPosted: Thu May 15th, 2014, 00:46 GMT 
Titanium Member

davidotas wrote:
It's still so weird, those two albums with all that suddenly incredible folk blues guitar playing. I mean, where in the previous 30 years was there any indication that Bob had gone from what he was doing in the early 60's on the acoustic guitar to being capable of anything like Step It Up And Go or in particular the astonishing Broke Down Engine.

Broke Down Engine's some of the best folk blues guitar playing this side of John Hammond Jr. Crazy good playing. I was convinced for a while he was playing slide on that track but nah.

I think that the first album has some comparatively accomplished guitar playing on it.

PostPosted: Thu May 15th, 2014, 01:00 GMT 
Mercury Member

Jordan wrote:

This.

PostPosted: Thu May 15th, 2014, 01:08 GMT 
Titanium Member

I also appreciate his acoustic playing when he's "on."

PostPosted: Sat December 15th, 2018, 09:10 GMT 

Has there been any solo acoustic dylan performance that comes close to the standard of playing on these two albums?