Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Tue June 18th, 2019, 13:54 GMT

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed April 10th, 2019, 05:57 GMT 

Hello! Many of you might have seen my earlier post about a research project, involving Bob Dylan and the 1960s. (If not, check it out here:https://www.expectingrain.com/discussions/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=97374) As promised, I have completed a set of questions that I am asking folks to answer. Everyone is welcome to participate.

If you want to participate, please be aware of the following instructions: instead of answering it on this public thread, copy and paste the questions into a private message sent to me, including your responses to each question. The subject should be "Research Survey" and sent to my username: chrisb . I will read all of the messages thoroughly, recording responses and compiling it into data. This is the fun, "fieldwork" part of researching for historians and anthropologists (only, in my case, I don't have to leave my computer!). Of course, I will not be sharing anyone's personal information nor sending your PMs to anybody. However, some of your responses may be referenced in my paper.

The questions are as follows:

1. When and how did you start listening to Bob Dylan’s music?
2. Why did you join this website?
3. Is this your only Bob Dylan-related account or membership? Are you active on other forums or websites?
4. How many hours a week do you spend on Expecting Rain? Do you log on every day?
5. How old are you?
6. What is your favorite album?
7. Are Bob Dylan’s messages or music relevant in 2019? If so, which ones? If none, why?
8. When someone says “the 1960s,” what images come prominently to your mind? (These can be ideas, people, memories, moments, etc.)
9. How do you categorize Bob Dylan’s music? Do you differentiate between albums, genre, decade, or another category? (i.e. “70s Dylan is different than 80s Dylan”)
10. What is it about Dylan that makes you a fan?
11. Is there a question you wish I had asked?

Feel free to write paragraphs, single words or sentences. You are welcome to omit any. I am eager to hear from you. If you have questions/comments/concerns let me know.

Thank you in advance!

PostPosted: Tue April 23rd, 2019, 19:22 GMT 
Titanium Member

"copy and paste the questions into a private message sent to me, including your responses to each question"

You are using a public forum to get material for yourself privately for your own use, and perhaps to sell later? Wouldn't be as marketable if they posted here, instead of the private message - that it? Good idea I guess, but it comes off as a little bit of a scam, to me. Kind of defeats the very purpose of this forum.

PostPosted: Tue April 23rd, 2019, 20:34 GMT 
Titanium Member

chrome horse wrote:
"copy and paste the questions into a private message sent to me, including your responses to each question"

You are using a public forum to get material for yourself privately for your own use, and perhaps to sell later? Wouldn't be as marketable if they posted here, instead of the private message - that it? Good idea I guess, but it comes off as a little bit of a scam, to me. Kind of defeats the very purpose of this forum.

Who one earth would buy research into Bob Dylan fans?

I've been meaning to do this, will try and remember later.

PostPosted: Tue April 23rd, 2019, 20:59 GMT 
Titanium Member

gibsona07 wrote:
chrome horse wrote:

Who one earth would buy research into Bob Dylan fans?

I've been meaning to do this, will try and remember later.

Could be material for a book. Who knows? At a good pay grade - I'm there.
Was a pay grade mentioned?