Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Thu November 15th, 2018, 16:44 GMT

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu October 11th, 2018, 14:58 GMT 

As previously stated I think it's a crying shame that the regular release of the new Bootleg Series is only 11 tracks on one CD. As prices have come down I have ordered the de-luxe package but I don't know if I can sit through multiple takes of Buckets of Rain in one session.
With this in mind I thought I'd compile myself a CD copy of the best 25 tracks. From what you know of the recordings available (official or unofficial) I just wondered if anyone had any ideas of the best 25 tracks to include. No more than three takes of the same song please!

PostPosted: Thu October 11th, 2018, 16:20 GMT 

You might get a little more traction out of this request on or after November 2nd

PostPosted: Thu October 11th, 2018, 17:30 GMT 
Titanium Member

Obviously without hearing the majority of this yet, I'm going to go out on a limb and say the best 2CD condensed version you can make after it's released is the 1 disc official compilation followed by the speed-corrected Blood On The Tracks for Disc 2.

PostPosted: Thu October 11th, 2018, 22:58 GMT 

Baltimore wrote:
You might get a little more traction out of this request on or after November 2nd

This makes a lot of sense...

PostPosted: Thu October 11th, 2018, 23:38 GMT 

CD1 all 12 versions of Buckets of Rain

CD2 all 12 versions of You’re gonna make me lonesome when you go

PostPosted: Thu October 11th, 2018, 23:58 GMT 

Or is that seems a little samey-

CD1 - The original BOTT
CD 2- Blood on the tapes

PostPosted: Fri October 12th, 2018, 00:16 GMT 
Titanium Member

Hell, more than likely I'll take all 56 minutes of Idiot Wind that's comin', throw the Hard Rain version at the end, and make the only Dylan compilation I'd ever need!

PostPosted: Fri October 12th, 2018, 02:00 GMT 

I hope it's still possible in the future for young people to first discover the original album as it was intended to be heard. It certainly diminishes the "magic" when you hear all 10 takes of a song. It's great for us old archaeologists but...I can't imagine this being my first experience with Blood On The Tracks. With every drop wrung out. These alternate takes will be someone's first exposure to this work.

PostPosted: Fri October 12th, 2018, 02:14 GMT 

Ghost Of Lectricity wrote:
I hope it's still possible in the future for young people to first discover the original album as it was intended to be heard. It certainly diminishes the "magic" when you hear all 10 takes of a song. It's great for us old archaeologists but...I can't imagine this being my first experience with Blood On The Tracks. With every drop wrung out. These alternate takes will be someone's first exposure to this work.

This will be the first time for all of us outside its production to hear how it was supposed to be heard. We are all going to hear the "real" BOTT for the first time (unless some of you have the skill of playing these tracks at the speed intended originally).

PostPosted: Fri October 12th, 2018, 02:17 GMT 
Titanium Member

These alternate takes will be someone's first exposure to this work.

Maybe, but it'd be rare. Someone who has never heard Blood On The Tracks isn't very likely to go shell out a hundred bucks for a deluxe release of outtakes. The only way this could probably happen would be something like Spotify, although even there the entire release won't be available. Basement Tapes, Trouble No More, etc. only have what Spotify calls a "Sampler" of the release, which amounts to about 12 or so tracks. Even for The Cutting Edge, which is probably the closest to BS14 in terms of content, Spotify has only 15 available tracks, all of them complete alternate takes with no studio banter, false starts, etc. (save for LARS, which uses the same short take from BS 1-3).

PostPosted: Fri October 12th, 2018, 02:34 GMT 

It’s crazy what is available for a new fan now!
I envy some of them... I recall saving my money up to maybe find some weird bootleg during visits to New York City in high school ... and trading Grateful Dead tapes for some passable cassettes... my girlfriend brought back an early vinyl bootleg from Europe and it seemed like magic.
Now it is all at our finger tips!

But BOTT is classic enough that the original will almost always come first.
This release will exist as a pleasant almost full picture...
Having secured a correct speed LP version a few years ago i’m More excited about the single disc version. I’ll hear the rest eventually....

PostPosted: Fri October 12th, 2018, 02:39 GMT 

Is blood on the tracks the most consistently re-written LPof Bob’s career?
Not only did it change immediately right before release (plus the speed change), but over the years he has re-imagined them over & over in concert....and even recently in his new book of song drawings

PostPosted: Fri October 12th, 2018, 03:59 GMT 
Promethium Member

These alternate takes will be someone's first exposure to this work.

That's one reason I think having the "regular" release be one cd of (presumably good) outtakes representing the original lp is a good idea. Unless they really screw it up anybody first exposed via this release will stand a good chance of being reeled in.

PostPosted: Fri October 12th, 2018, 04:02 GMT 
Promethium Member

Nightingale's Code wrote:
Hell, more than likely I'll take all 56 minutes of Idiot Wind that's comin', throw the Hard Rain version at the end, and make the only Dylan compilation I'd ever need!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

That would take a special mood but an hour of alternating You're Gonna Make Me Lonesome and Buckets of Rain outtakes will likely go down like cold beers on a summer afternoon.

PostPosted: Fri October 12th, 2018, 06:23 GMT 

Baltimore wrote:

I get your point but I thought a lot of members here had heaps of the unofficial recordings and would know which were essential listening. Anyway, if this topic disappears from the front page I shall resurrect it after Nov 2nd for some further comment.

PostPosted: Fri October 12th, 2018, 10:13 GMT 

If, as you say, you're getting the deluxe package anyway, why not just play the whole thing through (even if just the once) and decide for yourself what the best 25 tracks are?

PostPosted: Fri October 12th, 2018, 11:36 GMT 
Titanium Member

dvdunplugged wrote:
Baltimore wrote:

I get your point but I thought a lot of members here had heaps of the unofficial recordings and would know which were essential listening. Anyway, if this topic disappears from the front page I shall resurrect it after Nov 2nd for some further comment.

I’m almost positive that I have everything that’s been available on bootlegs for some time, and it doesn’t amount to as much as you’d think. Definitely less than half of what’s being released on BS14, probably closer to 1/4 or so. Certainly not enough to be described as “heaps,” but luckily that’ll all change very soon! :D

PostPosted: Sat October 13th, 2018, 15:12 GMT 

I'm a bit dismayed by thinking it might be a few discs too many...so based on Bob's output, can anyone help me with what the definitive 2CD version of The Bootleg Series Vol. 18 should be?

(Sorry, I had to. Asking for commentary/rankings about a set of of partially unreleased/still unheard versions of songs before the album is even released just seems really odd/silly to me). As stated above, if you wait 2-3 more weeks, the set will be out and you can actually listen to the songs and decidenfor yourself what you specifically think are the best cuts.

PostPosted: Sat October 13th, 2018, 23:28 GMT 
Promethium Member

jalov wrote:
Asking for commentary/rankings about a set of of partially unreleased/still unheard versions of songs before the album is even released just seems really odd/silly to me.

Ya, but it's way more fun to judge upcoming releases BEFORE they come out,
and similarly, judge shows we didn't even attend,

PostPosted: Sun October 14th, 2018, 01:03 GMT 

Still Go Barefoot wrote:
jalov wrote:
Asking for commentary/rankings about a set of of partially unreleased/still unheard versions of songs before the album is even released just seems really odd/silly to me.

Ya, but it's way more fun to judge upcoming releases BEFORE they come out,
and similarly, judge shows we didn't even attend,

Lol, true, true. I was just busting chops, but I honestly don't think we can speak too much on a CD set none of us really have any ideas how it will end up sounding. Id love to be blown away by some radically different first draft of songs that we never heard them preformed as such, but my expectations on this are fairly low. Not in a bad way, but really thinking it's going to simply be a ton of similarly preformed songs with slight lyric variations of what we already know. A cool little box set for sure, but I'm not expecting any great revelations.

The cutting edge 6 CD set was amazingly enjoyable to me simply because of the completely different takes on some of the songs. Some real surprises there. But from what we know of from official releases, bootleg series cuts, and some boots floating around, he kept a pretty similar pattern for most of the songs it seemed.

PostPosted: Mon October 15th, 2018, 07:00 GMT 

No problemo.

CD1 Tracks 2 4 6 8
CD2 Tracks 1 3 5 7
CD3 Tracks 9 10 11 12
CD4 Tracks A B C D E
CD5 Tracks F G H I
CD6 YGMMLWYG

PostPosted: Mon October 15th, 2018, 15:00 GMT 

TheBoiledGutsofBirds wrote:
No problemo.

CD1 Tracks 2 4 6 8
CD2 Tracks 1 3 5 7
CD3 Tracks 9 10 11 12
CD4 Tracks A B C D E
CD5 Tracks F G H I
CD6 YGMMLWYG

LOL! Any chance you can help me decide which
15 live cuts to include for a compilation I am making from his shows on 3/4/2019, 3/8/2019, and 5/11/2021?