Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Wed November 14th, 2018, 06:55 GMT

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat March 20th, 2010, 03:01 GMT 

As Iv'e stated I'm not a huge "basements" guy but this here is just great. The easiest way to describe it is sheer fun. I know many say that about most of the basement stuff, but this track really stands out for The MEZ! I usually throw this on during a drunkin' evening playing poker. Played live 11-21-05, which I havn't heard. The only time played live as I understand it. Great fun tune it is!!! MEZ

PostPosted: Sat March 20th, 2010, 03:34 GMT 
Mercury Member

I love it. The entire Basement Tapes collection. "Million Dollar Bash" is probably the most fun, though. I never heard the live version from 2005 but I'll put it on my very very long list of things to hear. I'm just really overwhelmed with the Hide recordings from the current tour right now.. sigh...

PostPosted: Sat March 20th, 2010, 03:35 GMT 

Right on, Mez. Very fun song, I love it.

Seeing it live in 05 was my ultimate concert going highlight. A pure moment of Dylan brilliance and surprise.

For those who haven't heard it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6kxQTqMgbjI

Shame there is no video of the performance, as I remember when the song finished and the lights went down you could see Dylan holding his arms out like a plane and lower his head and hold it like that for a few seconds. He knew he hit it out of the park.

PostPosted: Sat March 20th, 2010, 03:41 GMT 

One of my favourite Basement songs.

"I Looked at my watch, I looked at my wrist
I punched myself in the fist!"

That line still gets me everytime! Love the 05 live version too.

PostPosted: Sat March 20th, 2010, 03:47 GMT 
Mercury Member

Nappy wrote:
Right on, Mez. Very fun song, I love it.

Seeing it live in 05 was my ultimate concert going highlight. A pure moment of Dylan brilliance and surprise.

For those who haven't heard it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6kxQTqMgbjI

Thanks for sharing the link, Nappy!! I had to pause the March 16th Osaka show to give it a listen. I like how he did the chorus, just a minor tinkering I suppose.

"Ooh-ee, baby, ooh-ee
Ooh-ee, baby, ooh-ee"

PostPosted: Sat March 20th, 2010, 03:52 GMT 

Yes Thanks Nappy! MEZ

PostPosted: Sat March 20th, 2010, 09:51 GMT 

The fairport convention cover is one of my favourite Dylan covers. But the Basement Tapes version is good as well.

PostPosted: Mon March 22nd, 2010, 06:40 GMT 

One of the few songs on BT I like !

PostPosted: Mon March 22nd, 2010, 13:29 GMT 

So many good lines in this song. But it's worth asking: How many songwriters can have a line about emptying the trash that works?

And then my favorite: "I took my potatoes down to be mashed."

All in the spirit of Hank WIlliams portraying small-town small-time people of modest lives who like to bust loose now and then. (Hank in "Setting the Woods on Fire.") They know no higher term of praise than "million dollars."

PostPosted: Tue March 23rd, 2010, 04:41 GMT 

This is the rarest of songs in that, like 'Country Pie,' it just makes me happy every time I hear it. That's magic, man.

PostPosted: Tue March 23rd, 2010, 05:54 GMT 

Fleet Foot wrote:
All in the spirit of Hank WIlliams portraying small-town small-time people of modest lives who like to bust loose now and then. (Hank in "Setting the Woods on Fire.") They know no higher term of praise than "million dollars."

Very nicely said.

And Mr. Marcus' view:
'It's a road where a certain nihilism lies within the freedom and hilarity of a perfectly written. perfectly arranged song-'Million Dollar Bash', say-that casts off all meaning. There's a gruff verse-

'I took my potatoes
Down to be mashed
Then I made it on over
To that million dollar bash!'

-with the last verse waving in the air like a happy goodbye, the first two lines so playfully alive to talk and metaphor as to suggest setting up a whiskey still, taking your ashes down to be hauled, or suiting up for the hottest new dance of 1962 as easily as a place where they mash your potatoes for you. There's a smiling drawn out chorus that lasts just long enough for you to hear the smile begin to fade-

Ooo
Baby
Ooo-wee
It's that
Million
Dollar
Bash

-a fade that just barely undercuts the song's rolling promises with doubt, the basement road now coming up on a hard turn into a swamp where the singer can no longer pretend his nihilism promises anything but death, a road where the memory of a good joke is not even a bad one.'

If this was anything but a Basement song, I would say the 05 version easily bettered it. But because The Basement Tapes defy criticism, it's merely as perfect a cover of a BT song he's ever done IMO.

November 21 2005
http://www.sendspace.com/file/0kq9h2

PostPosted: Tue March 23rd, 2010, 19:12 GMT 
Titanium Member

My 71 years old mother went last weekend to hear a Dylan cover band. (She's not a 'fan' but, hey, she put me on the path in my teens after years of being a Beatles bugger.)

When I asked her if there were many or any songs she recognised she replied - 'Oh-baby, oh-ee, it's that Million $ Bash!'

PostPosted: Tue March 23rd, 2010, 19:28 GMT 

Mez wrote:
I usually throw this on during a drunkin' evening playing poker.

I can imagine it working perfectly for that Mez. I like to listen to it just before I go out to a bash of my own. It's very much Bob's 'I Gotta Feeling' (Black Eyed Peas).

PostPosted: Tue March 23rd, 2010, 20:04 GMT 

effort wrote:
My 71 years old mother went last weekend to hear a Dylan cover band. (She's not a 'fan' but, hey, she put me on the path in my teens after years of being a Beatles bugger.)

When I asked her if there were many or any songs she recognised she replied - 'Oh-baby, oh-ee, it's that Million $ Bash!'

Cool ma ya got there.

PostPosted: Tue March 23rd, 2010, 20:51 GMT 
Titanium Member

Location: where there ain't no police; ain't no need to escape from what is, only spirits at ease
Yes, your mom sounds like fun!

I love this track. Can't help but dancing. And singing along.

PostPosted: Tue March 23rd, 2010, 20:52 GMT 
Titanium Member

DownInAlabama wrote:
Yes, your mom sounds like fun!

I could never get away with saying this.

Am I the first to mention the big dumb blonde that is called out by Bob in this song?

PostPosted: Tue March 23rd, 2010, 21:28 GMT 
Titanium Member

Thanks, guys. And, yes, she's fun and whatever I throw at her she catches and throws back with what's wrong or right.
The CD's I've loaned her right now are among others some Dizzy Gillespie latin-jazz, Rita Coolidge Out of the blues, Willie Neslon Stardust and James Brown Soul on top.

I have my work cut out before me, designing an I-pod library for her and finding an ideal, handy radio, CD and I-pod player.

OK, here's a little story, true too, that I remember hearing many years ago as a child.When my parents first dated around 1960 they were avid jazz listeners and many American musicians made their way touring all the way over in Sweden. One of the greats they got to see was Thelonious Monk who did the old trick of eyeing a lady in the audience for almost the entire concert. Of course that was her and I thought I could still hear a slight pique in my dad's voice when he told me the story recently, as if I didn't know.

PostPosted: Tue March 23rd, 2010, 21:29 GMT 

Great laugh of a song!

PostPosted: Tue March 23rd, 2010, 21:46 GMT 

jonno_osmond wrote:
One of my favourite Basement songs.

"I Looked at my watch, I looked at my wrist
I punched myself in the fist!"

That line still gets me everytime! Love the 05 live version too.

slight correction to the line:

Well, I looked at my watch
I looked at my wrist
Punched myself in the face
With my fist

PostPosted: Thu March 25th, 2010, 21:15 GMT 

Mez wrote:
The easiest way to describe it is sheer fun.

Right. Till your Daddy takes the T-Bird away. We're in Dylan Boot Camp here, son. There ain't no easy. Now, get down an' give me twenty.

PostPosted: Sat September 29th, 2012, 02:06 GMT 
Titanium Member

On TCM right now..... http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0037508/

PostPosted: Fri October 5th, 2012, 01:14 GMT 
Promethium Member

The London 2005 performance was a fine surprise and a wonderfully delivered masterpiece. I haven't listened to the Basement Tapes since.

PostPosted: Mon November 17th, 2014, 07:08 GMT 

Take 1 from the basement tapes has really revitalized my love for this song. Been walking around the city this weekend with Million Dollar Bash as my soundtrack. How refreshing to hear him with a sense of levity and humor, which has been missing in his songwriting for quite a while now.
And you gotta dig how he sings the word "po-tat-oes" in the last verse...

PostPosted: Mon November 17th, 2014, 18:49 GMT 

yopietro wrote:
Take 1 from the basement tapes has really revitalized my love for this song. Been walking around the city this weekend with Million Dollar Bash as my soundtrack. How refreshing to hear him with a sense of levity and humor, which has been missing in his songwriting for quite a while now.
And you gotta dig how he sings the word "po-tat-oes" in the last verse...

I agree 100%. It's always been my favorite BT song, but for some reason I especially love Take 1 featured on BS 11. It's not as "perfectly" arranged as Take 2, since it's a little rough around the edges, but there's something especially magic about that take that just captivates me. Maybe it's the gentle loping rhythm or the more plaintive way Bob sings the chorus, but whatever it is it's caused me to set the song on repeat and just enjoy it over and over with a nice drink!

PostPosted: Mon November 17th, 2014, 20:05 GMT 

I've also just revisited the one-off performance of Million Dollar Bash from Brixton 2005. It's hard to be in a bad mood listening to this...

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10150259798265540