Expecting Rain
https://www.expectingrain.com/discussions/

Track Talk 153: Gotta Serve Somebody
https://www.expectingrain.com/discussions/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=47633
Page 3 of 3

Author:  NEP [ Wed March 8th, 2017, 13:05 GMT ]
Post subject:  Re: Track Talk 153: Gotta Serve Somebody

typo...meant to say 08 NYC^

Author:  goodnitesteve [ Thu July 20th, 2017, 22:23 GMT ]
Post subject:  Re: Track Talk 153: Gotta Serve Somebody

I've been listening to Gilbert Gottfried's Amazing Colossal Podcast a lot lately and they are constantly referencing Bill Saluga's favorite routine, "You can call me R.J., you can call me ray." This line was referenced in Gotta Serve Somebody of course.

Was Bob a viewer of Bill Saluga and/or the Ace Trucking Company? Or maybe he caught him on the Gong Show or other shows Bill appeared on.

Maybe he caught a series of commercials for Anheuser-Busch Natural Light beer in the late 70's where Saluga appeared alongside comedian/pitchman Norm Crosby reciting the routine. Just wondering.

Author:  monklover [ Fri July 21st, 2017, 17:19 GMT ]
Post subject:  Re: Track Talk 153: Gotta Serve Somebody

goodnitesteve wrote:
I've been listening to Gilbert Gottfried's Amazing Colossal Podcast a lot lately and they are constantly referencing Bill Saluga's favorite routine, "You can call me R.J., you can call me ray." This line was referenced in Gotta Serve Somebody of course.

Was Bob a viewer of Bill Saluga and/or the Ace Trucking Company? Or maybe he caught him on the Gong Show or other shows Bill appeared on.

Maybe he caught a series of commercials for Anheuser-Busch Natural Light beer in the late 70's where Saluga appeared alongside comedian/pitchman Norm Crosby reciting the routine. Just wondering.


That commercial was on all the time, especially on the football channel that all red blooded Americans watch. Ubiquitous!

Author:  Foggy [ Mon March 5th, 2018, 01:03 GMT ]
Post subject:  Re: Track Talk 153: Gotta Serve Somebody

Always found it lyrically and musically cold, as on Slow Train Coming so wasn't particularly looking forward to repeated live versions on Trouble No More. I'm surprised to find how much I enjoy the live versions, from the funk dynamic of the earlier tours to the rock arrangement of '81. Aside from enjoying the sheer swagger of the song, I think something of its message rings truer to me these days, not in a strictly religious sense, but in a more general sense that we are all beholden to the kind of judgments and decisions we make.

Anyways, one of the surprises of Trouble No More--I actually dig this song!

Author:  TheBoiledGutsofBirds [ Tue March 6th, 2018, 01:30 GMT ]
Post subject:  Re: Track Talk 153: Gotta Serve Somebody

whatsittoya wrote:
I love love love it because of the line
'You may call me RJ, you may call me Ray'
They're my initials, and so this song is my only claim to fame!
(Actually it's not really one of my favourites - I reckon it's one of the weakest songs on the album, and never really does much for me in concert either. What a killjoy I am.)



My child's name is Ray and her initials are RJ. I can't believe I'd never spotted this before.

Another reason for me to love this great song. I agree the message is simple. Are you going to do the right thing or wrong thing? We all grapple with it daily throughout our lives.

It's also one of his many "list" songs, it could go on and on and also has plenty of room for improvisation/new lines.

Author:  ShotofMercy [ Tue March 6th, 2018, 04:59 GMT ]
Post subject:  Re: Track Talk 153: Gotta Serve Somebody

The studio cut is fantastic, and it’s a terrific opener to the album. I introduced my friend to this song the other day, and I loved the response. To him, it didn’t matter to him that Dylan used his newfound beliefs to get a very simple point across: you can try to add something good to the world with your actions, or something bad. Just because Dylan mentions serving the Lord or the devil doesn’t mean it’s a purely religious song. Both forces have often signified good and bad, anyway. I mentioned to him that as you delve deeper into the album, Dylan draws a line in the sand and essentially claims that the Christian way, or the way of God, to be the only way (“you either got faith or you got unbelief, and there ain’t no neutral ground”), but he still considered this song to be a powerful statement.

Of course, I love when Dylan is, for lack of a better term, “wordy” in his songs. But this song proves, I’m my opinion, that he can be direct in his lyrics without sacrificing what makes his songs so important.

Author:  Still Go Barefoot [ Tue March 6th, 2018, 12:53 GMT ]
Post subject:  Re: Track Talk 153: Gotta Serve Somebody

TheBoiledGutsofBirds wrote:
whatsittoya wrote:
I love love love it because of the line
'You may call me RJ, you may call me Ray'
They're my initials, and so this song is my only claim to fame!



My child's name is Ray and her initials are RJ. I can't believe I'd never spotted this before.

It comes from a 70’s comedian who played the part of Raymond J. Johnson, Jr.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qoYsfbq3vMc

This skit was popular on comedy shows maybe like ‘Rowan & Martin’s Laugh In’ or ‘The Smothers Brothers.’
Eventually, it was even used in beer commercials. It was kinda funny at the time.
Even funnier that Bob picked up on it and used it in a Gospel tune!

Author:  Anr Bjotk [ Mon September 24th, 2018, 14:41 GMT ]
Post subject:  Re: Track Talk 153: Gotta Serve Somebody

What's everyone's favourite version from Trouble No More?

Author:  Still Go Barefoot [ Mon September 24th, 2018, 17:17 GMT ]
Post subject:  Re: Track Talk 153: Gotta Serve Somebody

On Trouble No More, the very first rehearsal is fun.

Got a bit obscured this 2018 summer by the 2 new terrific
live versions with nightly-changing lyrics.

The swap-over of arrangements took place
within two Sydney shows, as tour watchers
are aware. Those attending both had a real
nice special Bob experience, firsthand.
Lucky Duckies:

Sydney #1 Peter Gunn
Sydney #2 Honky Tonk

Like ‘em both!

Author:  OldHenryLee [ Wed September 26th, 2018, 18:42 GMT ]
Post subject:  Re: Track Talk 153: Gotta Serve Somebody

Still Go Barefoot wrote:
On Trouble No More, the very first rehearsal is fun.

Got a bit obscured this 2018 summer by the 2 new terrific
live versions with nightly-changing lyrics.

The swap-over of arrangements took place
within two Sydney shows, as tour watchers
are aware. Those attending both had a real
nice special Bob experience, firsthand.
Lucky Duckies:

Sydney #1 Peter Gunn
Sydney #2 Honky Tonk

Like ‘em both!


http://notdarkyet.org/serve.html - Here's a bunch of MP3 style singles of those 2018 versions ... & 3 others as well.

Good times to be had listening to em.

Author:  the_hurricane [ Thu September 27th, 2018, 09:41 GMT ]
Post subject:  Re: Track Talk 153: Gotta Serve Somebody

NateW wrote:
marker wrote:
I know for certain that in 1981, Bob and Co. professionally recorded this show but it's never surfaced.
That said, this incredible concert has always circulated in high quality but my point in that is that I really
think this would be a perfect candidate for a Bootleg Series entry.
Interspersing his older material with brilliantly solid selections from his three Gospel albums, it would be a perfect
re-assessment of this underrated period.

Just listen to this fiery deliverance of this song which opened the concert!! Bob is on fire here and the band is super tight
with the Queens just tearing it up!!!
It's a brilliant opening to a powerhouse evening that may be my favorite of that phenomenal year....

London England
June 28 1981
https://www.sendspace.com/file/byhaek


Thanks for sharing that. Loved it. Not sure if this was common in his live performances at the time, but I think it's really interesting that he dropped "hafta" from the chorus. Rather than an air of forced subservience, it now strikes me as a more basic statement about how things are. Every action, every choice serves a specific end that you desire. To live and act at all is to take steps in one direction or another. It's up to us to choose whether that is towards love, or hate, good or evil, and the labels that we apply to ourselves or that are applied to us by others, have nothing to do with it.

Interesting.


whats a hafta?

Author:  NateW [ Thu September 27th, 2018, 09:52 GMT ]
Post subject:  Re: Track Talk 153: Gotta Serve Somebody

the_hurricane wrote:
NateW wrote:
[quote="marker"]I know for certain that in 1981, Bob and Co. professionally recorded this show but it's never surfaced.
That said, this incredible concert has always circulated in high quality but my point in that is that I really
think this would be a perfect candidate for a Bootleg Series entry.
Interspersing his older material with brilliantly solid selections from his three Gospel albums, it would be a perfect
re-assessment of this underrated period.

Just listen to this fiery deliverance of this song which opened the concert!! Bob is on fire here and the band is super tight
with the Queens just tearing it up!!!
It's a brilliant opening to a powerhouse evening that may be my favorite of that phenomenal year....

London England
June 28 1981
https://www.sendspace.com/file/byhaek


Thanks for sharing that. Loved it. Not sure if this was common in his live performances at the time, but I think it's really interesting that he dropped "hafta" from the chorus. Rather than an air of forced subservience, it now strikes me as a more basic statement about how things are. Every action, every choice serves a specific end that you desire. To live and act at all is to take steps in one direction or another. It's up to us to choose whether that is towards love, or hate, good or evil, and the labels that we apply to ourselves or that are applied to us by others, have nothing to do with it.

Interesting.


whats a hafta?[/quote]

“Gonna” = “going to”
“Hafta” = “have to”

Page 3 of 3 All times are UTC
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
https://www.phpbb.com/