Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Thu April 25th, 2019, 12:44 GMT

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue March 5th, 2019, 01:02 GMT 

I've recently become fascinated about foreign mono pressings of "Blonde on Blonde." Apparently there are very unique mixes to UK and Canadian pressings, with the latter even having a mistake during "Sad-Eyed Lady." Anybody had the pleasure to listening to one or both of these versions? Thoughts?

I got a hold of a UK pressing on eBay today ("Stuck Inside Of Mobile With The Memphis Blues Again" is misprinted "Stuck Inside Of Mobile With Thee"). Can't wait to listen to it. I have yet to come across a Canadian pressing, but I'm keeping my eyes peeled.

PostPosted: Tue March 5th, 2019, 11:30 GMT 
Titanium Member

Swingin' Pig wrote:
("Stuck Inside Of Mobile With The Memphis Blues Again" is misprinted "Stuck Inside Of Mobile With Thee").

This is a whole debate in itself. I think other pressings just call it 'Memphis Blues Again' and some have different titles on the label and sleeve. In fact, I don't think the full title (Stuck Inside of Mobile With The Memphis Blues Again) was used until Hard Rain in 1976.

PostPosted: Tue March 5th, 2019, 12:33 GMT 

Swingin' Pig wrote:
I've recently become fascinated about foreign mono pressings of "Blonde on Blonde." Apparently there are very unique mixes to UK and Canadian pressings, with the latter even having a mistake during "Sad-Eyed Lady." Anybody had the pleasure to listening to one or both of these versions? Thoughts?

I got a hold of a UK pressing on eBay today ("Stuck Inside Of Mobile With The Memphis Blues Again" is misprinted "Stuck Inside Of Mobile With Thee"). Can't wait to listen to it. I have yet to come across a Canadian pressing, but I'm keeping my eyes peeled.

If you're lucky, go might have got the same pressing as I.
Check Side three:

The lable is stamped with: S DDP 6601 (CS 9317) and
there are 2 different matrix numbers are: S 66012 C4 and and S 66021 C4. Don't know what these two numbers with transposed digits (66012 vs 66021) mean or why they are there in the first place, but

this is the pressing where "Fourth Time Around" is the version with the keyboard/harmonium allegedly played by Al Kooper.

look here: http://www.electricdylan.net/BobPart2/BobPart2.htm

Strange thing is that, If I read the entry on "Fourth Time Around" correctly, there no explicit mention that the UK pressing (made in England) contains this special track

I'd like to point out that you don't find it on any "Cutting Edge" incarnation.

Good luck

PostPosted: Tue March 5th, 2019, 12:35 GMT 

Sorry, I did not read that you are referring to mono.

But check the track anyway

PostPosted: Tue March 5th, 2019, 21:10 GMT 

h.egbert wrote:
Swingin' Pig wrote:

If you're lucky, go might have got the same pressing as I.
Check Side three:

The lable is stamped with: S DDP 6601 (CS 9317) and
there are 2 different matrix numbers are: S 66012 C4 and and S 66021 C4. Don't know what these two numbers with transposed digits (66012 vs 66021) mean or why they are there in the first place, but

this is the pressing where "Fourth Time Around" is the version with the keyboard/harmonium allegedly played by Al Kooper.

look here: http://www.electricdylan.net/BobPart2/BobPart2.htm

Strange thing is that, If I read the entry on "Fourth Time Around" correctly, there no explicit mention that the UK pressing (made in England) contains this special track

I'd like to point out that you don't find it on any "Cutting Edge" incarnation.

Good luck

Thanks for the info! I'll have to wait for it to arrive; It was just shipped from Scotland yesterday. As for the harmonium, what Cutting Edge do you have? I uploaded a version from the Collector's Edition version, and it does indeed have a harmonium in the background somewhere: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FAckCGPDAvg.

I did check the pictures though, and what my record seems to have on the label is, S DDP 66012 (CS 9316). Similar, but they are mono discs, so bound to be different.

PostPosted: Tue March 5th, 2019, 21:19 GMT 

gibsona07 wrote:
Swingin' Pig wrote:
("Stuck Inside Of Mobile With The Memphis Blues Again" is misprinted "Stuck Inside Of Mobile With Thee").

This is a whole debate in itself. I think other pressings just call it 'Memphis Blues Again' and some have different titles on the label and sleeve. In fact, I don't think the full title (Stuck Inside of Mobile With The Memphis Blues Again) was used until Hard Rain in 1976.

Just to clarify, you're saying that some believe it was an actual misprint, but others think it was on purpose?

PostPosted: Wed March 6th, 2019, 08:16 GMT 

To avoid any misunderstanding:

when I mentioned the take with the keyboard/hammond I referred to the take released on Blonde On Blonde, which originally was recorded with the said instrument, obviously together on the same track with the drums. The drums has been re-recorded for some reason unknown to me and therefore the keyboard was gone when the new track found its way onto the officially released version (only that some copies of the matrixes(?) with the original mixes has been sent to the pressing plants, so the "old" version was used until a new master was needed).

So the take you linked to is clearly another one.

PostPosted: Wed March 6th, 2019, 12:42 GMT 

Swingin' Pig wrote:

Canada Mono has unique (earliest mixes) on Sides 3 and 4. Side 1 and 2 mixes are also on UK Mono

France Mono has unique (second mixes) on Sides 2 and 3. Side 1 and 4 is the final US mix.

UK Mono is a hybrid, there is nothing unique about it musically: it has Canada mixes on Sides 1 and 2, with US mixes on Sides 3 and 4

US mono was the final mono mix approved by Bob

The so-called harmonium on "4th Time Around" (it's actually Al Kooper's organ) can be heard on the Canada Mono and in a different, longer, more upfront mix on the France Mono. It isn't on the US or UK Mono. It was replaced on those by an overdubbed drum track.

"Stuck Inside of Mobile...." is named "Memphis Blues Again" on the US Mono, Canada Mono and France Mono. It is named "Memphis Blues Again" on the UK Mono disc but "Stuck Inside of Mobile With Thee" on the inside of the sleeve. The song is named "Stuck Inside of Mobile with the" in the original 1966 songbook.

There are also a number of variations on the stereo LPs. Al Kooper's organ on "4th Time Around" is present, for example, on the first stereo mix.

I could go on for hours. Take a look at Roger's site but, be warned, you could end up diving down a very long rabbit hole which, when you discover how many Blonde variations there are, may have serious consequences for your wallet...!!!!!

http://www.electricdylan.net/

PostPosted: Wed March 6th, 2019, 13:10 GMT 

When you think of the songs, do you remember in mono?

PostPosted: Wed March 6th, 2019, 13:21 GMT 
Titanium Member

Swingin' Pig wrote:

Just to clarify, you're saying that some believe it was an actual misprint, but others think it was on purpose?

It's unclear.

Personally, I think the Hard Rain title (Stuck Inside of Mobile With The Memphis Blues Again) was just a composite of the two misprints because they couldn't decide what the actual title was. I wonder what it was copyrighted as?

PostPosted: Wed March 6th, 2019, 16:57 GMT 

I remember some nutter who had about 30 different copies of BoB and proved it with a pic, either here or on the hoffman boards.
Wasn´t it you, pol2jem?

PostPosted: Wed March 6th, 2019, 20:15 GMT 

McG wrote:
When you think of the songs, do you remember in mono?

:) No, I remember in 5.1 surround sound :)

I always remember "Sad-Eyed Lady of the Lowlands" in mono, Canada mono specifically, and wonder why he bothered to have that clumsy edit done rather than leave the flubbed line as it was:-

"How could they ever have in....vaded you."

They couldn't even leave it alone for The Cutting Edge and did another clumsy edit.

PostPosted: Thu March 7th, 2019, 00:29 GMT 

pol2jem wrote:
Swingin' Pig wrote:

Canada Mono has unique (earliest mixes) on Sides 3 and 4. Side 1 and 2 mixes are also on UK Mono

France Mono has unique (second mixes) on Sides 2 and 3. Side 1 and 4 is the final US mix.

UK Mono is a hybrid, there is nothing unique about it musically: it has Canada mixes on Sides 1 and 2, with US mixes on Sides 3 and 4

US mono was the final mono mix approved by Bob

The so-called harmonium on "4th Time Around" (it's actually Al Kooper's organ) can be heard on the Canada Mono and in a different, longer, more upfront mix on the France Mono. It isn't on the US or UK Mono. It was replaced on those by an overdubbed drum track.

"Stuck Inside of Mobile...." is named "Memphis Blues Again" on the US Mono, Canada Mono and France Mono. It is named "Memphis Blues Again" on the UK Mono disc but "Stuck Inside of Mobile With Thee" on the inside of the sleeve. The song is named "Stuck Inside of Mobile with the" in the original 1966 songbook.

There are also a number of variations on the stereo LPs. Al Kooper's organ on "4th Time Around" is present, for example, on the first stereo mix.

I could go on for hours. Take a look at Roger's site but, be warned, you could end up diving down a very long rabbit hole which, when you discover how many Blonde variations there are, may have serious consequences for your wallet...!!!!!

http://www.electricdylan.net/

Oh, wow. That should be fun dive. Thank you! And just so you know, the pressing I bought actually does have "Stuck Inside A Mobile With Thee" printed on the disc. I guess there could've been many different variations though. Thanks for info!

PostPosted: Thu March 7th, 2019, 00:32 GMT 

gibsona07 wrote:
Swingin' Pig wrote:

It's unclear.

Personally, I think the Hard Rain title (Stuck Inside of Mobile With The Memphis Blues Again) was just a composite of the two misprints because they couldn't decide what the actual title was. I wonder what it was copyrighted as?

Ah, gotcha. Yes, that is strange. Considering how many variations exist, it could've been (mis)-printed for many different reasons. It'd be interesting to learn the real story behind it.

PostPosted: Thu March 7th, 2019, 10:06 GMT 

Swingin' Pig wrote:
Oh, wow. That should be fun dive. Thank you! And just so you know, the pressing I bought actually does have "Stuck Inside A Mobile With Thee" printed on the disc. I guess there could've been many different variations though. Thanks for info!

Yes, I have one of those: it's possible that is a 2nd pressing. There were two pressings with the different titles on the label, both with the speed shown as 33, but there were also two pressings with the different titles on the label with the speed shown as 33 1/3. The matrix numbers in the dead wax are the same on all of them so they are probably just label variations. It would be interesting to see images of the label you have.

Alan's site is also a good reference, by the way:-

http://www.searchingforagem.com/1960s/MonoLPs007.htm

PostPosted: Thu March 7th, 2019, 10:08 GMT 

wormington wrote:
I remember some nutter who had about 30 different copies of BoB and proved it with a pic, either here or on the hoffman boards.
Wasn´t it you, pol2jem?

When I look in the mirror I don't see a nutter so it can't be me.

PostPosted: Thu March 7th, 2019, 20:24 GMT 

gibsona07 wrote:
Swingin' Pig wrote:

It's unclear.

My understanding is that the longer title was simply a compromise to get round the issue of different names being used previously, by combining all the elements into one ("thee" vs "the" aside).

This new title was first used - afaIk - on Greatest Hits Vol 2/More Greatest Hits (the Bangla Desh cover double LP). A record I love dearly as it was really my introduction to this whole madness ...

PostPosted: Thu March 7th, 2019, 22:44 GMT 

pol2jem wrote:
Swingin' Pig wrote:

Yes, I have one of those: it's possible that is a 2nd pressing. There were two pressings with the different titles on the label, both with the speed shown as 33, but there were also two pressings with the different titles on the label with the speed shown as 33 1/3. The matrix numbers in the dead wax are the same on all of them so they are probably just label variations. It would be interesting to see images of the label you have.

Alan's site is also a good reference, by the way:-

http://www.searchingforagem.com/1960s/MonoLPs007.htm

Love SFAG. That's where I originally got interested in the BoB versions. Looks like the one I bought is the "first release," and not the "alternate first release," which may even be the "very first release." This is what my label looks like. It's the earlier type font, which is much more attractive than the subsequent one, in my opinion.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Fri March 8th, 2019, 10:28 GMT 
Titanium Member

Isn't that orange label a UK pressing?

PostPosted: Fri March 8th, 2019, 12:28 GMT 

gibsona07 wrote:

No, CBS was the European brand for what was Columbia in the US up until a certain time. The labels of all those releases looked like that, regardless of where the pressing took place (mostly in Holland and England if I remember correctly) and regardless of the artist.

The label (still CBS) has changed its design in the late 70ies with hard rain beeing the first with the new one. Could as well apply to Desire, too, but that I can't tell because I've got a copy pressed in Japan.

The first album not beeing CBS but Columbia is Good As I Been To You

PostPosted: Fri March 8th, 2019, 12:44 GMT 
Promethium Member

h.egbert wrote:
No, CBS was the European brand for what was Columbia in the US up until a certain time. The labels of all those releases looked like that, regardless of where the pressing took place (mostly in Holland and England if I remember correctly) and regardless of the artist.

The label (still CBS) has changed its design in the late 70ies with hard rain beeing the first with the new one. Could as well apply to Desire, too, but that I can't tell because I've got a copy pressed in Japan.

Wow. Eg-cellent details.
Thanks for beeing here Egbert!

PostPosted: Sat March 9th, 2019, 08:47 GMT 

gibsona07 wrote:

Mine is being shipped from Great Britain, so I can assume it was pressed and sold there. It also says "Made In England" on the bottom, so that specific pressing is indeed a UK version, but h.egbert is right as well.

PostPosted: Sat March 9th, 2019, 08:49 GMT 

h.egbert wrote:
gibsona07 wrote:

Thanks for this. Seems like you know your stuff!

PostPosted: Sat March 9th, 2019, 10:07 GMT 

gibsona07 wrote:

Yes.

PostPosted: Sat March 9th, 2019, 12:10 GMT 

h.egbert wrote:
gibsona07 wrote:

The US company Columbia Music had to operate under the name CBS outside of the US, because there was an english record company with the same name. That company was owned by EMI and stopped operating in the 70ies.
When Sony Inc. took over the CBS conglomerate in 1988 (I guess), it also bought the worldwide rights for the Columbia brand from EMI. Sony Music was created in 1991, the record branch was consolitated under the Columbia Music label.