Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Thu February 21st, 2019, 01:20 GMT

All times are UTC




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 125 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Empire Burlesque - love, like or loathe?
Love 29%  29%  [ 33 ]
Like 45%  45%  [ 50 ]
Loathe 26%  26%  [ 29 ]
Total votes : 112
Author Message
PostPosted: Wed May 2nd, 2018, 05:19 GMT 

Joined: Thu January 25th, 2018, 08:03 GMT
Posts: 259
Location: Japan
I have had a few days off here in Japan, so I was giving some of the lesser Dylan albums a spin. I've always liked EB (way better than DITG and KOL). What do you guys think of it?

It strikes me as something that could do with a Bootleg Series makeover- lose the overdubs, strip the songs down, include covers played in the studio, maybe a live version of the album, alternative takes.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed May 2nd, 2018, 05:58 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Thu January 6th, 2011, 17:11 GMT
Posts: 177
Location: France
That album does not deserve its terrible reputation.
And you're right, it's much better than the two others.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed May 2nd, 2018, 06:28 GMT 

Joined: Sat January 6th, 2018, 19:04 GMT
Posts: 610
I wouldn’t go quite as far as “loathe”, but there was no closer option on the poll. I certainly don’t like it. ‘Meh’ would have been a closer option.

I think the overall sound of the album is exceptionally cheesy. What could have been good songs are ruined by the saccharine sweet production. Some of the lyrics are good but the production really has not aged well, it sounds artificial and antiseptic. As a result it’s the one of the only wholly original Bob Dylan albums I don’t listen to.

I will say Tight Connection to my Heart is quite a good song, and When the Night Comes Falling From the Sky could have been brilliant if the music wasn’t so dreadful. I’ve heard the latter was excellent in concert under a different arrangement, will need to hear the bootlegs some time.

It’s still better than Knocked Out Loaded and Down in the Groove, that gets my vote as worst Dylan album out his entire discography.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed May 2nd, 2018, 06:30 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Sat September 10th, 2016, 12:46 GMT
Posts: 2362
It's shit, why are you even bothering?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed May 2nd, 2018, 06:34 GMT 

Joined: Sat January 6th, 2018, 19:04 GMT
Posts: 610
TheBoiledGutsofBirds wrote:
It strikes me as something that could do with a Bootleg Series makeover- lose the overdubs, strip the songs down, include covers played in the studio, maybe a live version of the album, alternative takes.


Might be ok, but if we see this before Blood on the Tracks bootleg I will scream. :lol:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed May 2nd, 2018, 06:37 GMT 
Titanium Member
User avatar

Joined: Wed December 4th, 2013, 06:39 GMT
Posts: 7180
Location: in the mystic garden
Dark Eyes is a masterpiece, everything else is pretty horrible.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed May 2nd, 2018, 06:55 GMT 

Joined: Mon April 6th, 2009, 20:28 GMT
Posts: 1080
Location: I was there for a party once
Yeah it's very Meh.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed May 2nd, 2018, 07:13 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Sun April 16th, 2017, 03:29 GMT
Posts: 999
Location: Under the red sky.
In my opinion:

Tight Connection To My Heart (Has Anybody Seen My Love) 10/10
Seeing The Real You At Last 8/10
I'll Remember You 10/10
Clean Cut Kid 7/10
Never Gonna Be The Same Again 7/10
Trust Yourself 5/10
Emotionally Yours 10/10
When The Night Comes Falling From The Sky 10/10
Something's Burning, Baby 10/10
Dark Eyes 10/10

Average rating: 87/100

Actually I consider this album as his 3rd best album from the 80's, just behind Oh Mercy and Infidels, tied with Shot of Love, and above
KOL, DITG or Saved. I don't understand why many people don't like this album. Certainly this album is different from others albums, but it's good in its own style.
At least Bob didn't put more Zionist songs, and Tight Connection To My Heart is like an invitation to dance. Sometimes I do!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed May 2nd, 2018, 07:22 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Sat April 3rd, 2010, 17:44 GMT
Posts: 1761
I never play it much so that equates to me that I don't really like it that much. I play SITN, GAIBTY and WGW much more.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed May 2nd, 2018, 09:24 GMT 

Joined: Thu January 25th, 2018, 08:03 GMT
Posts: 259
Location: Japan
Tight Connection To My Heart (Has Anybody Seen My Love)
I'll Remember You
Emotionally Yours
When The Night Comes Falling From The Sky
Something's Burning, Baby
Dark Eyes


The above are great songs fighting to escape the production of the album. The Supper Club version of "Tight Connection" and Masked and Anonymous version of "I'll Remember You" are premium Dylan. I like Emotionally Yours a lot too. Dark Eyes is great, but seems a bit tuneless at times.

It certainly had the potential to be up there with Infidels and Oh Mercy.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed May 2nd, 2018, 11:33 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Tue August 23rd, 2011, 14:43 GMT
Posts: 1928
Location: Singapore
Loathe. Maybe one of the few times that Bob tried to fit in rather than just go his own way, starting with that jacket.

The songs themselves are ok - as shown in concert.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed May 2nd, 2018, 12:53 GMT 

Joined: Tue December 30th, 2008, 09:05 GMT
Posts: 981
Location: Basingstoke
It's a poor album, and no amount of critical reappraisal is going to change that for me. Even stripped of the Eighties production the songs are rubbish.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed May 2nd, 2018, 14:49 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Thu October 25th, 2007, 22:20 GMT
Posts: 209
Location: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
It's pretty weak. Production is horrible. There's a few decent songs there, but they exist in much better forms either live or with the E-street band or in the case of I'll Remember You, M&A. I love Tight Connect and When the Night... on Bootleg Series 1-3, but can't stand them here. Only songs that kinda work with this production are "Somethings Burning Baby" and "Dark Eyes". And Dark Eyes is not a great song, it's good, but no where near great.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed May 2nd, 2018, 18:23 GMT 
Titanium Member

Joined: Tue February 17th, 2009, 02:57 GMT
Posts: 7212
I like it, some of his best songs of the 80's are on it, dated production brings it down some.

This same thread debating the merits of EB is done like once a month around here.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed May 2nd, 2018, 18:44 GMT 

Joined: Wed April 22nd, 2015, 18:33 GMT
Posts: 56
Its not bad Like a lot of the albums from the 80s the production has not aged well


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed May 2nd, 2018, 18:55 GMT 
Titanium Member
User avatar

Joined: Tue July 1st, 2014, 19:16 GMT
Posts: 5170
Location: Beyond The Horizon.
:(

It's Dylan for god's sake, we expect more.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed May 2nd, 2018, 18:59 GMT 
Promethium Member
User avatar

Joined: Fri February 22nd, 2008, 18:40 GMT
Posts: 17381
Location: Friendship Ended With Mudasir. Now Salman is my best friend
FolkieEmo wrote:
In my opinion:

Tight Connection To My Heart (Has Anybody Seen My Love) 10/10
Seeing The Real You At Last 8/10
I'll Remember You 10/10
Clean Cut Kid 7/10
Never Gonna Be The Same Again 7/10
Trust Yourself 5/10
Emotionally Yours 10/10
When The Night Comes Falling From The Sky 10/10
Something's Burning, Baby 10/10
Dark Eyes 10/10

Average rating: 87/100

Actually I consider this album as his 3rd best album from the 80's, just behind Oh Mercy and Infidels, tied with Shot of Love, and above
KOL, DITG or Saved. I don't understand why many people don't like this album. Certainly this album is different from others albums, but it's good in its own style.
At least Bob didn't put more Zionist songs, and Tight Connection To My Heart is like an invitation to dance. Sometimes I do!


Thanks. I couldn't remember what was on this album.

Tight Connection To My Heart (Has Anybody Seen My Love) 2/10 A fade in. Really? Backup singers? UGH.
Seeing The Real You At Last How long is this song? Too long if you ask me. 2/10
I'll Remember You - I can't pinpoint what's wrong with this song.
Clean Cut Kid 1/100 Ugh. Concern trolling set to a beat.
Never Gonna Be The Same Again - Wasted time. 1/1000
Trust Yourself - Ha. If this song is the product of trusting yourself, seek a second opinion. 0/10
Emotionally Yours - "it's not an affair, she's just my emotional friend." 1/10000
When The Night Comes Falling From The Sky 6.5/10 A tall enough midget.
Something's Burning, Baby - Yeah, and it's stinking up my room. 3/10
Dark Eyes - Ok, good enough. Why even waste this song here? 8/10


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed May 2nd, 2018, 19:01 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Sun January 22nd, 2017, 21:15 GMT
Posts: 2001
Location: on a bridge
McG wrote:
It's shit, why are you even bothering?


End of thread :lol:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed May 2nd, 2018, 19:01 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Thu January 6th, 2011, 17:11 GMT
Posts: 177
Location: France
FolkieEmo wrote:
and Tight Connection To My Heart is like an invitation to dance. Sometimes I do!

And the video clip for Tight Connection To My Heart ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nheBN2UWAaM ) ends with Bob preparing to have sex with 2 women. Do you, sometimes?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed May 2nd, 2018, 19:07 GMT 

Joined: Sat January 6th, 2018, 19:04 GMT
Posts: 610
JeffreyLeePierre wrote:
FolkieEmo wrote:
and Tight Connection To My Heart is like an invitation to dance. Sometimes I do!

And the video clip for Tight Connection To My Heart ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nheBN2UWAaM ) ends with Bob preparing to have sex with 2 women. Do you, sometimes?


It ends with a cuddle. Careful now Harvey, that doesn’t mean an invitation to have sex. :wink:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed May 2nd, 2018, 19:09 GMT 
Titanium Member

Joined: Tue February 17th, 2009, 02:57 GMT
Posts: 7212
FolkieEmo wrote:

Tight Connection To My Heart (Has Anybody Seen My Love) 10/10
Seeing The Real You At Last 8/10
I'll Remember You 10/10
When The Night Comes Falling From The Sky 10/10
Something's Burning, Baby 10/10
Dark Eyes 10/10



These are enough the make it worth a spin now and then. Try it on the old Columbia vinyl, you should still find vinyl EB's cheap. The overall production and prickly analog synth sound takes on a little more texture and is more engaging than the CD's I've heard, in this case.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed May 2nd, 2018, 19:20 GMT 
Titanium Member
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 29th, 2006, 14:41 GMT
Posts: 5349
Location: In the middle
Indifference, ferhaps

The one tune deserving a better fate, I believe, is I’ll remember you


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed May 2nd, 2018, 19:23 GMT 

Joined: Sat January 6th, 2018, 19:04 GMT
Posts: 610
Harry Truman wrote:

Thanks. I couldn't remember what was on this album.

Tight Connection To My Heart (Has Anybody Seen My Love) 2/10 A fade in. Really? Backup singers? UGH.
Seeing The Real You At Last How long is this song? Too long if you ask me. 2/10
I'll Remember You - I can't pinpoint what's wrong with this song.
Clean Cut Kid 1/100 Ugh. Concern trolling set to a beat.
Never Gonna Be The Same Again - Wasted time. 1/1000
Trust Yourself - Ha. If this song is the product of trusting yourself, seek a second opinion. 0/10
Emotionally Yours - "it's not an affair, she's just my emotional friend." 1/10000
When The Night Comes Falling From The Sky 6.5/10 A tall enough midget.
Something's Burning, Baby - Yeah, and it's stinking up my room. 3/10
Dark Eyes - Ok, good enough. Why even waste this song here? 8/10


Brilliant. Roll over Christgau. :lol:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed May 2nd, 2018, 20:09 GMT 
Titanium Member
User avatar

Joined: Wed December 4th, 2013, 06:39 GMT
Posts: 7180
Location: in the mystic garden
Ain't Talkin' wrote:
This same thread debating the merits of EB is done like once a month around here.

Amen to that


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed May 2nd, 2018, 20:49 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Mon March 16th, 2009, 10:46 GMT
Posts: 1329
Location: London
A step back from Infidels for sure. I still remember the feeling
of disappointment, especially at the sound. Plenty of people hated
the 80s sound even while the 80s were (t)rolling.
Dark Eyes, Seeing the Real You, Tight Connection, When the Night
and one or two others are decent enough in themselves.
My feelings are somewhere between 'like' and 'loathe'.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 125 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: slocastro


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group