Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Fri December 14th, 2018, 03:02 GMT

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 185 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Is this a crap list?
Yes 65%  65%  [ 81 ]
No 35%  35%  [ 43 ]
Total votes : 124
PostPosted: Thu December 26th, 2013, 01:29 GMT 
Titanium Member

Righteous

Highway 61 Revisited
John Wesley Harding
Blonde On Blonde
Freewheelin'
Good As I Been To You
World Gone Wrong

Just

Bob Dylan
Oh, Mercy
Bringing It All Back Home
Love & Theft
Basement Tapes (hard to rank as Dylan didn't have much, if any, hand in the rather mediocre album that Columbia made out of it.)
The Times They Are A-Changin'
Shot Of Love

Mildly tarnished, but still comely

Time Out Of Mind
Another Side Of
Modern Times
Desire
Pat Garrett & Billy The Kid
Nashville Skyline
Infidels
Saved
Slow Train Coming

Brusque

New Morning
Planet Waves
Street-Legal
Empire Burlesque
Knocked Out Loaded
Self Portrait

Scandalous

Dylan
Down In The Groove
Together Through Life
Under The Red Sky

Sui generis

Christmas In The Heart

PostPosted: Thu December 26th, 2013, 01:38 GMT 

My musical appreciation of the Dylan records is as follows:

SL 0.777778 1

LAT 0.75 2

BOTT 0.7 3

TFBB 0.692308 4

H61R 0.666667 5

D 0.666667 5

S 0.666667 5

SOL 0.666667 5

BOB 0.642857 9

BIABH 0.636364 10

PostPosted: Thu December 26th, 2013, 01:39 GMT 
Titanium Member

Righteous
Highway 61 Revisited
Basement Tapes
John Wesley Harding
Blood on the tracks
Blonde On Blonde
Love & Theft
Bringing it all back home
Modern Times
Hard Rain
Saved
Slow Train Coming
Planet Waves
Street Legal
New Morning
Self Portrait
Christmas In The Heart

PostPosted: Thu December 26th, 2013, 11:48 GMT 

Regarding the lists it seems to be obvious, that Dylaneers live far back in the past - concerning their album-preferences.
Though of course I do love those early albums (and they are gems for sure) I do listen to the albums from the last 20 years more often than to the old stuff.
The albums from the 60s and 70s are like a wonderful reminescense of those days and that very different life of that time (but those days are gone).
I love it absolutely, when the radio plays 60s- and 70s-Dylan-songs unexpectedly.
But it's more likely that I look for the Rome-shows of this year with their special setlists than that I look for one of the fantastic 60s albums.
Although the old albums are the perhaps better ones, the new albums are nearer to me and to my everyday-life

PostPosted: Thu December 26th, 2013, 13:46 GMT 

Love & Theft - Mississippi
Blood On The Tracks - Idiot Wind
Planet Waves - Dirge
Blonde on Blonde - Visions Of Johanna
Highway 61 Revisited - Queen Jane Approximately
Bringing It All Back Home - Mr. Tambourine Man
Time Out Of Mind - Tryin' To Get To Heaven

PostPosted: Thu December 26th, 2013, 14:36 GMT 
Titanium Member

HopE wrote:
Regarding the lists it seems to be obvious, that Dylaneers live far back in the past - concerning their album-preferences.
Though of course I do love those early albums (and they are gems for sure) I do listen to the albums from the last 20 years more often than to the old stuff.
The albums from the 60s and 70s are like a wonderful reminescense of those days and that very different life of that time (but those days are gone).
I love it absolutely, when the radio plays 60s- and 70s-Dylan-songs unexpectedly.
But it's more likely that I look for the Rome-shows of this year with their special setlists than that I look for one of the fantastic 60s albums.
Although the old albums are the perhaps better ones, the new albums are nearer to me and to my everyday-life

Interesting perspective, and I think a common one for newer/younger, Dylan fans(assuming that's what you are). I find it particularly surprising that your real highlight would be performances this year, because of the interesting set lists. When I see Bob live now, it's more of a respect and honor thing. The music is great, the atmosphere is always electric and magical, I always look forward to the interesting arrangements etc., but his singing(having heard it in the prime years), is always a huge letdown. I don't hold it against him, for he has lost his voice singing FOR US, after all. I usually have one stunning image/hallucination experience at a show, and this year at Lowell was no different. It came when he was doing a harmonica lead on stage right. He had on a roundish had pulled down over his ears, he was standing yet kind of crouching, and wailing on that harp like there was no tomorrow. The image and vision, and because the harp playing reveals no aging, stunned me. As I watched and listened, I was thinking "look at that - it's really no different than what he has done all his life" - it almost had a sinister, mobster-like air to it. You KNEW this guy was all business - and not just going through the motions for a paycheck. Still AMAZING after all these years!!

PostPosted: Thu December 26th, 2013, 15:04 GMT 

chrome horse wrote:
and I think a common one for newer/younger, Dylan fans(assuming that's what you are).

How I wish that would be true!

PostPosted: Thu December 26th, 2013, 15:14 GMT 

1 Highway 61 Revisited (Best Song: LARS)
2. Blonde on Blonde (Best: Visions of Johanna)
3. Love & Theft (Best: Mississippi)
4. Modern Times (Best: Thunder on The Mountain)
5. Bringing it All Back Home (Best: It's Alright Ma)
6. Blood on the tracks (Best: Tangled Up in Blue)
7. John Wesley Harding (best: I dreamed I saw St. Augustine)
8. Basement Tapes (Best: Tears of Rage)
9. Time Out of Mind (Best: Trying to get to heaven)
10. Freewheelin' (Best: Don't think twice)
11. Oh Mercy (Best: Ring them Bells)
12. Street Legal (best: Changing of the Guards)
13. Nashville Skyline (best: Lay lady lay)
14. Tempest (best: Pay in Blood)

The Rest i can do without

PostPosted: Thu December 26th, 2013, 16:22 GMT 

Tommy_ wrote:

without...Desire???
:roll: :roll: :roll:

PostPosted: Thu December 26th, 2013, 16:31 GMT 

Giuseppe Gazerro wrote:
Tommy_ wrote:

without...Desire???
:roll: :roll: :roll:

Oh damn I forgot Desire. :oops:

I like Desire, although I'm not crazy about it. I like Isis and Black Diamond Bay a lot. It'll probably fit somewhere in the middle of my list. I'll make the edit.

PostPosted: Thu December 26th, 2013, 21:45 GMT 

I will give it a shot, though I don't find the exercise fun as I just feel like I'm wrong when I have to make a tough decision. It's lose-lose..haha

1) Highway 61 Revisited (Favorite track: Desolation Row)

While I find ranking that many and such diverse albums just about impossible, this is how it shook out this time. My favorite of the electric trio,
obviously amazing songs but I love the raw electric blues rock sound, much more than the Blonde on Blonde sound. Tough to not put Like A Rolling Stone as my
favorite track, but Desolation Row is my favorite. Not a bad track on here and I think it flows exceptionally well as an album.

2) Blood On The Tracks (Favorite track: Tangled Up In Blue)

I've often listed this one as my #1, and probably will be back there again if you ask me on a different day. Tough to pick from Tangled, Idiot Wind, Shelter
From The Storm, Simple Twist of Fate but TUIB is one of my top Dylan tracks period, though I like other versions better than the album take. Also a big fan
of Lily, Rosemary & The Jack of Hearts and If You See Her, Say Hello. Maybe his most mature songwriting (whatever that means), besides perhaps Time Out Of Mind.

3) Bringing It All Back Home (Favorite track It's Alright, Ma)

Love Minus Zero, It's All Over Now Baby Blue, Maggie's Farm, She Belongs To Me, Subterranean Homesick Blues, It's Alright Ma, Gates of Eden, Mr. Tambourine
Man...now I'm re-thinking why this isn't #1. I don't think as highly of Gates Of Eden as I once did, but even still, Side Two may be the best record side in
his catalog.

4) The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan (Favorite track: Don't Think Twice, It's All Right)

A classic collection of a large portion of the best original songs from his acoustic days. Hard Rain, North Country, Don't Think Twice, Blowin' In The Wind,
Masters of War, Bob Dylan's Dream, any album with those needs to be in the top five. While I like all of the songs in the second half, I find it somewhat
fizzles out from the high points of the first half. Superficial as it is, I find I put alot of stock in a classic album closer and Dylan is great at it
(Desolation Row, Baby Blue, It Ain't Me Babe) but I don't think the run of Corrina, Corrina, Honey Just Allow Me One More Chance and I Shall Be Free does
the trick, as much as I enjoy all of those. But just for the record again, Hard Rain is on this album. Top 5.

5) Another Side Of Bob Dylan (Favorite track: Chimes Of Freedom)

This one has some clunkers and sloppy recording, so I think it's mostly as a personal favorite this one gets into my top 5. I love the story that he
recorded in one night progressively getting more drunk on beaujolais, though it shows alot. Even with lows like Motorpsycho Nitemare, I love the recordings
of classics like It Ain't Me Babe, Chimes Of Freedom, My Back Pages, To Ramona and I Don't Believe You. A second tier down would include All I Really Want To Do and
Spanish Harlem Incident, and while it's definitely maudlin and to an extent immature, I'm a fan of Ballad In Plain D.

6) Blonde on Blonde (Favorite track: Stuck Inside Of Mobile With The Memphis Blues Again)

Probably my biggest departure from the general consensus when ranking his albums. Fantastic album and some of my favorite songs, but I just never got into
it as the best album ever like some. The overall sound of the band doesn't get me as much as the electric blues on Highway 61 in comparison, and I like the
acerbic bite in his voice on the previous two albums more than the surreal slur on Blonde on Blonde. That said, I don't mean to put down the musicianship
here and Kenny Buttrey's drum work here is some of my favorite ever in 'rock' music. Visions Of Johanna, Sweet Marie, Most Likely You Go Your Way, One Of Us
Must Know, Just Like A Woman, Memphis Blues Again are all perfect. Also love Leopard-Skin Pill-Box Hat, cracks me up.

7) Love & Theft (Favorite track: Mississippi)

I didn't jump right into this one immediately as a big favorite, but it definitely grew on me and certain nuances continue to jump out and amaze me. I don't
think Tweedle Dee is a great opener, but he makes up for it on Mississippi which I would not hesitate to call my favorite Dylan tune post-Blood On The
Tracks. Very diverse in musical styles and really showcases his and the band's flexibility. Best example of 'modern' Dylan to me, really fleshes out beyond
the mostly blues-based later stuff.

8) The Times They Are A-Changin'(Favorite track: Boots Of Spanish Leather)

I often forgot how many good songs are on this one, as the overall impression I get is very stark and monochrome (like the album cover...how bout that). As
has become my go-to phrase, I like most/all of the songs but I think it is the most limited and narrow of his acoustic albums. To find Boots of Spanish
Leather and Restless Farewell here among the 'protest' songs is a nice change of pace. Still, Times They Are A-Changin', Hollis Brown, Hattie Carroll,
Boots, Restless Farewell are still among my Dylan staples so it has a lot going for it.

9) John Wesley Harding (Favorite tracK: I Dreamed I Saw St. Augustine)

Definitely one listed this high as an example of the whole being more than a sum of the parts. Great sound and mood throughout the whole thing, and rather
mysterious. I love the sparse arrangements and again have to point out Kenny Buttrey's drumming.

10) Desire (Favorite track: Hurricane)

Another one I really loved and have kind of lost some enthusiasm for. Really lost interest in Joey, but on the flipside have really gotten into Black
Diamond Bay much more than before, that is an amazing song. Love most of these from the RTR '75, that really brings Isis and Romance In Durango to life more
than on the record.

11) The Basement Tapes (Favorite track: This Wheel's On Fire)

Another one I just love listening to as a whole, I don't find the 4-disc 100 song bootleg collection to be the best thing since sliced bread like some
people, but I do think they missed the boat on several that should have been included on this official release.

12) Time Out Of Mind (Favorite track: Trying To Get To Heaven)

TOOM reminds me alot of Blonde on Blonde in that it has a coherent unique sound throughout, many individual highs, a ridiculously long closer and in my opinion, is
too long. There were some fantastic live Highlands (Worcester '99) but, like Sad Eyed Lady, I don't listen to the album version often. Some great songs
though and this album has translated into some of his best live stuff. I love alot of the songs much more than their takes on the album.

13) Tempest (Favorite track: Duquesne Whistle)

Even though it's been over a year, I'm still processing this one. I really have enjoyed it, but I find that alot of the songs seem to fit into a formula
similar to other recent songs. Not a bad thing by any means, but I find a sense of been there, done that. Still represents the best so far for that style,
it reminds me of a meaner, rougher doppelganger of Modern Times. Love Duquesne Whistle, Soon After Midnight, Pay In Blood.

14) Bob Dylan (Favorite track: See That Grave Is Kept Clean)

Another personal favorite that ends up high on my list, I really love his early blues acoustic guitar work which often gets lumped all together as his
'acoustic' phase but is very different than the Freewheelin' on. Not many originals, but a weird attack that puts it in it's own category, though I think
the real essence of that period are in bootlegs like the Minnesota Tapes, Gaslight Tapes, Cynthia Gooding, etc.

15) New Morning (Favorite track: Went To See The Gypsy)

The whole list is based on personal opinion obviously, but the middle of the pack here gets much tougher for me to approach 'academically' and much more personal favorite. New Morning is one I consider light and accessible and I enjoy playing often as a full album. Not too many really great songs and no top tier classics to me, but a nice collection and I like his voice at that time.

16) Modern Times (Favorite track: Thunder On The Mountain)

The first new Dylan album after I became a fan, so it's always going to stand out to me. Most of the songs really jump to me as live versions, but the album is well produced and I think presents his aging voice remarkably, certainly more than the subsequent albums. Lot of blues derivatives but high quality all the way through.

17) Hard Rain (Favorite track: Shelter From The Storm)

I go for the first leg of the Rolling Thunder Revue over the second, but this represents Dylan at one of his peaks of being a bad-ass. Some of the arrangements and the gypsy gear were a little much, but Idiot Wind, Shelter From The Storm and I Threw It All Away make it worth it. Maggie's Farm is kind of bizarre here but fun too.

18) Oh Mercy (Favorite track: Shooting Star)

The first album to really showcase what would later be his deeper growl register, though it got higher again for the next couple years for some reason. I like the swampy Lanois production here more than on TOOM, just seems to fit with the songs and the New Orleans recording location. Some fantastic tunes: Shooting Star, Ring Them Bells, Where Teardrops Fall, Most Of The Time, Man In The Long Black Coat.

19) Nashville Skyline (Favorite track: Tonight I'll Be Staying Here With You)

Ultimately too short and too much light filler to rank much higher for me, but I enjoy his country sound, the instrumentation and his voice. Lay Lady Lay is fine but I'm burnt out on it, my highlights are I Threw It All Away, One More Night, Tell Me That It Isn't True and Tonight I'll Be Staying Here With You. As he has at other times as well, he shows he can write a simple three-minute song and be effective as well.

20) Together Through Life (Favorite track: Life Is Hard)

I imagine people rate this one a whole lot lower normally as well, but I have had a soft spot for it. I really enjoy the overall vibe of the album with the accordion, and there's actual a nice little variety of songs and sounds. Pretty lightweight on the lyrics and some clunkers for sure, but I'm a big fan of Life Is Hard, Beyond Here Lies Nothin', This Dream Of You and Forgetful Heart. In a similar vein to New Morning, I don't think it's a better album than say Modern Times but I find it more accessible and listen to it more.

21) Planet Waves (Favorite track: Hazel)

I love the Band, but I don't find as much of their charm on this album nor do I think the song quality is great. Well played and really no low-lights, but just never got me terribly excited. I like Dirge, Forever Young, etc, but never quite as much as other people. Wedding Song is a highlight, as are Hazel and Something There Is About You.

22) World Gone Wrong (Favorite track: Lone Pilgrim)

I didn't get these two acoustic albums for sometime as I was getting into Dylan, thinking I wanted to get through his original stuff. However, I find I like it more and believe it is more 'important' (again whatever that means) in his oeuvre than many of his original albums. Both are good, but I like the selection and mood on WGW someone better, being more into the acoustic blues which are more predominant here than the English-style folk tunes moreso on Good As I Been To You. Lone Pilgrim is one of my favorite recordings of his.

23) Street-Legal (Favorite track: Where Are You Tonight?)

I don't hate this like some people, but I certainly don't love it like others. I find some of the forced vocals, backup singers and horns not appealing, but there is some good. Senor, Changing Of the Guard, Where Are You Tonight? and We Better Talk This Over are all good songs, with a few being great in my opinion.

24) Before The Flood (Favorite tracK: Most Likely You Go Your Way)

Rather coked out and nothing especially fantastic, but I do enjoy the injection of whatever it was that the Band and Dylan's over the top vocals add to some of his songs. Some cool arrangements and love Levon's drumming throughout. No definite versions of anything but a nice snap shot (though incomplete) of what Tour 74 was. I do really like his overdriven acoustic numbers on that tour too, a la Don't Think Twice, It's Alright, Ma, etc.

25) Shot Of Love (Favorite track: In The Summertime)

This one ends up top of my list, for now, of the three Gospel albums. The sloppiest of the bunch, but I find it more charming and includes one of the best songs of that trilogy, Every Grain Of Sand. That said, I find myself more into some of the lesser heralded titles there such as Heart of Mine and In The Summertime. Lenny Bruce on the other hand was uh, a miscue, we'll just say.

26) Self Portrait (Favorite track: Copper Kettle)

Certainly wasn't around when this came out, so I can understand having a different take on this after 40 years then people at that time did. It is uneven and bizarre, but with retrospect (greatly enhanced by the BS10), I find alot to enjoy here.

27) Infidels (Favorite track: Jokerman)

This one is growing on me lately, so I wouldn't be surprised to see it end up higher in the future if I do such a list again. I'm not a huge fan of the production, but I don't hate it either. Jokerman is a fantastic song, though I enjoy the Letterman and Woodstock '94 arrangements much more than the album. Sweetheart Like You is a nice number and some of the rockers are growing on me, though I still think they were a little redundant with Man Of Peace, Union Sundown and Neighborhood Bully. Never got much into I&I either, though it's not bad. Blind Willie McTell was a big miss, obviously.

28) Saved (Favorite track: Pressing On)

I'd really like to hear this remaster, if it's worth a damn. I think the songs have alot of potential and are generally better songs than the ones on Slow Train Coming, Pressing On, In The Garden, Saving Grace, What Can I Do For You. As is the case with alot of these, I think most of the songs here ended up alot better live.

29) Slow Train Coming (Favorite track: When He Returns)

I will say I think When He Returns may be my favorite track of the 'Gospel trilogy' but on the whole, I find this to be the album I listen to least of the three. Several of these tracks turned out really good live (during that time period and since, see Change My Way Of Thinking in 2011..fantastic) but I find the album sort of antiseptic, no rough edge or electricity.

30) Christmas In The Heart (Favorite track: Here Comes Santa Clause)

Haha, I really got a kick out of this and still do. The whole idea of him doing an old fashioned Christmas album was great, and the accompanying Must Be Santa video too. And I enjoy almost all the songs, I like the old schmaltzy arrangements of those Christmas songs anyways, so that just hit the right spot. Some terrible singing at times, but I like the charm of the whole thing.

31) Good As I Been To You (Favorite track: Hard Times)

As I said earlier on WGW, I like these alot but I found Good As I Been To You less of a complete package then WGW. I really like his take on Hard Times and I enjoy the others, but find they kind of blend together. Blackjack Davey and Tomorrow Night are excellent though, cracked and broken but excellent.

32) Empire Burlesque (Favorite track: Dark Eyes)

I don't hate on this one nearly as much as others, maybe only because I found that Knocked Out Loaded and Down In The Groove were much worse. That said, the production is pretty terrible and there's not too much to write home about anyways. Dark Eyes is an obvious highlight, I also like Something's Burning, Baby as a guilty pleasure and think I'll Remember You is a very good song.

33) Pat Garret & Billy The Kid (Favorite track: Billy 4)

This is fine backing music for what it is, and the ones he does sing on are fine, there's just not much there for me to rate on. I do love the Billy variations and the album version of Knockin' On Heaven's Door is the closest I get to liking that song.

34) Under The Red Sky (Favorite track: Under The Red Sky)

I think there are some good songs hidden in there (God Knows), but on the whole fairly forgettable and I really don't care for the production. That said, somehow Under The Red Sky ended up as one of my favorite songs, so go figure.

35) Real Live (Favorite track: Tangled Up In Blue)

Seems to be a fine band and not bad stuff really, but again just not much unique to go on. That re-write of Tangled Up In Blue though makes it worth having, that floored me when I first heard it.

36) Knocked Out Loaded (Favorite track: Brownsville Girl)

I really don't care for the mid-80s rock sound here, even if the songs weren't terrible, which I don't think several are. Most are though. Brownsville Girl is good, and for some reason I quite like Under Your Spell.

37) Dylan (Favorite track: Can't Help Falling In Love)

I don't find this offensive, but there's just very little substance there. Nice to have some of those ridiculous takes, ie if it were a bootleg, but doesn't make much for a proper album. I enjoy the Elvis take-offs as well as Big Yellow Taxi. That version of Spanish Is The Loving Tongue is too ridiculous to not enjoy a little bit too.

38) Down In The Groove (Favorite track: Let's Stick Together)

I don't hate some things on here, but on the whole there's too much negative to bump it any higher. Bad production, lazy vocals and poor arrangements on the whole. I like the Wilbert Harrison take well enough, and Shenandoah is not bad. The two Robert Hunter songs help place it in this spot, as does Sally Sue Brown.

39) Dylan & The Dead (Favorite track: Queen Jane Approximately)

Bizarre song selection, very short and bad production and poor selection of some of the more uninspired recordings from their stint together. Weird high pitched sing-shouting, I have a tough time with alot of live 80s Dylan and this doesn't help.

PostPosted: Thu December 26th, 2013, 22:02 GMT 
Titanium Member

1. Desire
2. Blood on the Tracks
3. Blonde on Blonde
4. Bringing it All Back Home
5. Highway 61
6. Street Legal
7. Time out of Mind
8. Love and Theft
9. Tempest
10. Nashville Skyline
11. John Wesley Harding
12. Freewheelin'
13. Bob Dylan
14. Planet Waves
15. Modern Times
16. Together Through Life
17. Oh Mercy
18. Infidels
19. Another Side of Bob Dylan
20. The Times They Are A Changin'
21. Shot of Love
22. Dylan '73
23. Empire Burlesque
24. New Morning
25. Slow Train Coming
26. Knocked Out Loaded
27. Down in the Groove
28. Saved
29. Self Portrait
30. Under the Red Sky
31. World Gone Wrong
32. Good As I Been to You

PostPosted: Thu December 26th, 2013, 22:06 GMT 

Ugh, I'm tempted to do this, but just the thought is so daunting...

I need to consider if I really want jump into this challenge of madness or not.

PostPosted: Thu December 26th, 2013, 22:53 GMT 
Titanium Member

I enjoyed reading through that, muleskinner. And we have similar lists.

It is madness, Illy. Jump in. I recommend it with a glass of your favorite whatever, though.

PostPosted: Thu December 26th, 2013, 23:00 GMT 
Titanium Member

Tommy_ wrote:

Oh damn I forgot Desire. :oops:

I forgot Tempest and Blood On The Tracks. It's just a stupid list anyhow, a way to while away time in the grip of a jour de Noel paresseux. :wink:

PostPosted: Fri December 27th, 2013, 02:36 GMT 

1.) Blood On The Tracks
2.) Blonde On Blonde
3.) Highway 61
4.) Love & Theft
5.) Bringing It All Back Home
6.) Time Out Of Mind
7.) Times Are A Changin
8.) John Wesley Harding
9.) Desire
10.) Freewheelin
11.) Modern Times
12.) Tempest
13.) Oh Mercy
14.) Planet Waves
15.) New Morning
16.) Slow Train Coming
17.) Together Through Life
18.) Street Legal
19.) Shot Of Love
20.) Saved
21.) Basement Tapes
22.) Nashville Skyline
23.) Infidels
24.) Another Side
25.) Down In Groove
26.) Bob Dylan
27.) World Gone Wrong
28.) Good As Been To You
29.) Self Portrait
30.) Under Red Sky
31.) Empire Burlesque
32.) Pat Garret
33.) Knocked Out and Loaded

MEZ (Best or fav very different for me) I listen most to (Love & Theft, Modern Times, Tempest, Time Out Mind, Together Through Life, Oh Mercy and Tell Tale Signs most often by a wide margin).. Also BOTT, BOB, Highway, New Morning - Most rest I prefer to find the old songs on Live NET for listening....

PostPosted: Fri December 27th, 2013, 19:16 GMT 
Senior Moderator

As of now.. since I enjoy making lists..

Studio
1. Highway 61 Revisited (Desolation Row)
2. Love & Theft (Cry A While)
3. Modern Times (Someday Baby)
4. Blood On The Tracks (Shelter From The Storm)
5. Bringing It All Back Home (Mr. Tambourine Man)
6. Blonde On Blonde (Visions Of Johanna)
7. Time Out Of Mind (Highlands)
8. The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan (Don't Think Twice, It's All Right)
9. Tempest (Long And Wasted Years)
10. Desire (Oh, Sister)

11. Planet Waves (Dirge)
12. The Times They Are A-Changin' (Boots Of Spanish Leather)
13. John Wesley Harding (The Ballad Of Frankie Lee And Judas Priest)
14. Infidels (Don't Fall Apart On Me Tonight)
15. Together Through Life (Forgetful Heart)
16. Oh Mercy (Man In The Long Black Coat)
17. Street Legal (Señor)
18. Another Side Of Bob Dylan (My Back Pages)
19. Good As I Been To You (Tomorrow Night)
20. Shot Of Love (Every Grain Of Sand)

21. Knocked Out Loaded (Brownsville Girl)
22. Pat Garrett And Billy The Kid (Billy 4)
23. Empire Burlesque (Dark Eyes)
24. World Gone Wrong (Delia)
25. Slow Train Coming (I Believe In You)
26. Bob Dylan (Song To Woody)
27. Under The Red Sky (Born In Time)
28. The Basement Tapes (Tears Of Rage)
29. Christmas In The Heart (Little Drummer Boy)
30. Down In The Groove (Silvio)
31. New Morning (The Man In Me)

32. Nashville Skyline (Lay Lady Lay)
33. Dylan (Lily Of The West)
34. Self Portrait (She Belongs To Me)
35. Saved (A Satisfied Mind) .. Why, Bob, why?! Your voice was great, the production was okay, but the lyrics....

Live
1. MTV Unplugged (Shooting Star)
2. Hard Rain (One Too Many Mornings)
3. Before The Flood (Don't Think Twice, It's All Right)
4. In Concert Brandeis University (Masters Of War)
5. Bob Dylan At Budokan (Knockin' On Heaven's Door)
6. Live At The Gaslight (Cocaine Blues)
7. Real Live (Tangled Up In Blue)
8. Live At Carnegie Hall (Lay Down Your Weary Tune)
9. Dylan & The Dead (All Along The Watchtower)

Bootleg Series/Collections
1. Tell Tale Signs (Red River Shore)
2. Live 1975 (Oh, Sister)
3. Biograph (Abandoned Love)
4. Vol. 1, 2 & 3 (Blind Willie McTell)
5. Live 1966 (Like A Rolling Stone)
6. Another Self Portrait (This Evening So Soon)
7. Live 1964 (It's Alright, Ma)
8. No Direction Home (Desolation Row)
9. Witmark Demos (Mr. Tambourine Man)

PostPosted: Sat December 28th, 2013, 00:20 GMT 

1) HW61 (It takes a lot to laugh...)
2) Desire (Isis)
3) Another Side (Ballad in plain D)
4) Blood on the Tracks (Shelter from the storm)
5) Blonde on Blonde (Stuck inside mobile..)
6) Bringing It All Back Home (Mr. Tambourine Man)
7) Times (North country blues)
8) JWH (Watchtower)
9) Street Legal (Where are you tonight?)
10) Time Out Of Mind (Tryin' to get to heaven)
11) Planet Waves (Dirge)
12) Love & Theft (Cry Awhile)
13) Good As I Been To You (Arthur Mcbride)
14) Dylan 73 (Lily of the west)
15) Self Portrait (Copper Kettle)
16) Basement Tapes (Yeah! Heavy and a bottle of bread)
17) Oh Mercy (Man in the long black coat)
18) Freewheelin' (Don't think twice)
19) Nashville Skyline (Lay, lady, lay)
20) Shot of Love (Every grain of sand)
21) Modern Times (Nettie Moore)
22) Tempest (Tin Angel)
23) Infidels (I & I)
24) New Morning (Man in me/Sign on the window)
25) Slow Train Coming (Do right to me (Do unto others))
26) Bob Dylan (Song to Woody)
27) Saved (What can I do for you?/Pressing On)
28) World Gone Wrong (Delia)
29) Empire Burlesque (Dark Eyes)
30) Together Through Life (Forgetful Heart)
31) Down In The Groove (Rank Strangers)
32) Under The Red Sky (Under the red sky)
33) Knocked Out Loaded (Brownsville Girl)

PostPosted: Tue December 31st, 2013, 00:19 GMT 

I'm gonna sit this one out...

PostPosted: Tue December 31st, 2013, 04:28 GMT 

It's gonna be tough, but I'll give it a whirl.
Studio Albums
1. Highway 61 Revisited (LARS/Queen Jane)
2. Blonde on Blonde (Visions of Johanna)
3. Blood on the Tracks (Tangled Up in Blue/Idiot Wind)
4. Bringing It All Back Home (Mr. Tambourine Man/It's Alright, Ma)
5. Time Out of Mind (Cold Irons Bound)
6. The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan (A Hard Rain's A-Gonna Fall)
7. John Wesley Harding (All Along the Watchtower)
8. The Times They Are a-Changin' (The Lonesome Death of Hattie Carroll)
9. Love and Theft (High Water)
10. Oh Mercy (Shooting Star)
11. The Basement Tapes (Open the Door, Homer)
12. Another Side of Bob Dylan (My Back Pages)
13. Modern Times (Ain't Talkin')
14. Tempest (Early Roman Kings)
15. Desire (Isis)
16. New Morning (Sign on the Window)
17. Planet Waves (Dirge)
18. Infidels (Jokerman)
19. World Gone Wrong (Delia)
20. Nashville Skyline (Lay Lady Lay)
21. Street-Legal (Senor)
22. Together Through Life (Beyond Here Lies Nothin')
23. Bob Dylan (1963) (In My Time of Dyin'/Song to Woody)
24. Good As I Been To You (Froggie Went A-Courtin')
25. Christmas in the Heart (Little Drummer Boy)
26. Slow Train Coming (I Believe in You)
27. Empire Burlesque (Dark Eyes)
28. Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid (Knockin' on Heaven's Door)
29. Shot of Love (Every Grain of Sand)
30. Self-Portrait (Quinn The Eskimo)
31. Saved (Solid Rock)
32. Under the Red Sky (Under the Red Sky)
33. Dylan (1973) (Can't Help Falling In Love)
34. Down in the Groove (Silvio)
35. Knocked Out Loaded (Brownsville Girl)

Live Albums (Including Bootleg Series 4,5, and 6)
1. The Bootleg Series Vol. 4 (Manchester 1966) (Tell Me, Momma)
2. The Bootleg Series Vol. 5 (Rolling Thunder Revue) (Tonight, I'll Be Staying Here With You)
3. Before the Flood (Ballad of a Thin Man)
4. Hard Rain (Idiot Wind)
5. The Bootleg Series Vol. 6 (Philharmonic Hall) (Gates of Eden)
6. Live at Carnegie Hall 1963 (Lay Down Your Weary Tune)
7. MTV Unplugged (Shooting Star)
8. Live at the Gaslight (Cocaine)
9. At Budokan (Knockin' on Heaven's Door)
10. Real Live (Tangled Up In Blue)
11. Dylan and the Dead (All Along the Watchtower)

The Bootleg Series
1. Volume 4, Live 1966 (Tell Me, Momma)
2. Volume 5, Live 1975 (Tonight, I'll Be Staying Here With You)
3. Volumes 1-3 (Blind Willie McTell)
4. Volume 7, No Direction Home (Visions of Johanna)
5. Volume 6, Live 1964 (Gates of Eden)
6. Volume 8, Tell Tale Signs (Dreamin' of You)
7. Volume 10, Another Self Portrait (Pretty Saro)
8. Volume 9, The Witmark Demos (Mr. Tambourine Man)

PostPosted: Thu January 2nd, 2014, 12:49 GMT 

Alright here goes! Bound to be some controversial rankings on here but I'm reasonably happy with this.

1. “Love & Theft” (High Water)
2. Blood On The Tracks (Tangled Up In Blue)
3. Blonde On Blonde (Visions of Johanna)
4. Tempest (Pay In Blood)
5. Time Out Of Mind (Cold Irons Bound)
6. Bringing It All Back Home (It’s Alright Ma)
7. Highway 61 Revisited (Desolation Row)
8. Modern Times (Workingman’s Blues #2)
9. Oh Mercy (Man In The Long Black Coat)
10. The Freewheelin’ Bob Dylan (Hard Rain’s A Gonna Fall)
11. The Times They Are A Changing (Boots of Spanish Leather)
12. Desire (Isis)
13. Street Legal (Changing Of The Guards)
14. John Wesley Harding (All Along The Watchtower)
15. Nashville Skyline (Tonight I’ll Be Staying Here With You)
16. New Morning (Sign On The Window)
17. Hard Rain (Shelter From The Storm)
18. Together Through Life (Beyond Here Lies Nothing)
19. Infidels (Jokerman)
20. Shot Of Love (Every Grain Of Sand)
21. Slow Train Coming (Slow Train)
22. MTV Unplugged (Desolation Row)
23. World Gone Wrong (Delia)
24. Good As I Been To You (Jim Jones)
25. The Basement Tapes (This Wheel’s On Fire)
26. Bob Dylan (Song To Woody)
27. Saved (Solid Rock)
28. Planet Waves (Dirge)
29. Self Portrait (Copper Kettle)
30. At Budokan (It’s Alright Ma)
31. Another Side of Bob Dylan (Chimes of Freedom)
32. Under The Red Sky (Born In Time)
33. Christmas In The Heart (Must Be Santa)
34. Before The Flood (It’s Alright Ma)
35. Real Live (Tangled Up In Blue)
36. Pat Garrett (Knocking On Heaven’s Door)
37. Empire Burlesque (Dark Eyes)
38. Knocked Out And Loaded (Brownsville Girl)
39. Down In The Groove (Silvio)
40. Dylan (Sarah Jane… I guess)
41. Dylan And The Dead (x that there’s nothing worse keeping)

PostPosted: Thu January 2nd, 2014, 13:31 GMT 

1. Blonde on Blonde (Visions of Johanna)
2. Highway 61 Revisited (Desoltaion row)
3. Slow Train Coming (When he returns)
4. Bringing It All Back Home (Bob Dylan's 115th dream)
5. Oh Mercy (Man in the long black coat)
6. Love and Theft (Mississippi)
7. The Times They Are a-Changin' (North country Blues)
8. Time out if mind (Love sick)
9. Desire (Black diamond bay)
10. Modern times (Ain't talkin')
11. Another side of bob Dylan (Chimes of freedom)
12. Infidels (Jokerman)
13. John Wesley Harding (As I went out one morning)
14. Blood on the tracks (Idiot wind)
15. Together through life (It's all good)
16. Under the red sky (Handy dandy)
17. Street legal (Where are you tonight)
18 New morning (New morning)
19 Planet waves (Side 2: Forever young fast version)
20. Shot of love (Every grain of sand)
21. The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan (Masters of war)
22. Bob Dylan (1961) (Song to Woody)
23. World gone wrong (Ragged and dirty)
24. Down in the grovve (Death is not the end)
25. Basement tapes (Wheels on fire)
26. Good as I been to you (You're gonna quit me baby)
27. Nashville skyline (I threw it all away)
28. Pat Garrett (all Billy)
29. Saved (Saving grace)
30. Empire Burlesque (Dark eyes)
31. Tempest (Narrow way)
32. Dylan (1973) (Lily of the west)
33. Knocked out loaded (Under your spell)
34. Christmas in the heart (Adestes fideles, because of the bad latin)

PostPosted: Thu January 2nd, 2014, 13:36 GMT 
Mercury Member

boiledgutsofbirds, I love that "Love and Theft" tops your list! It would be at the top of mine as well, if I was to make a list. It would stand along side of Bringing It All Back Home as my two favorite albums.

PostPosted: Thu January 2nd, 2014, 13:37 GMT 
Promethium Member

raging_glory wrote:
boiledgutsofbirds, I love that "Love and Theft" tops your list! It would be at the top of mine as well, if I was to make a list. It would stand along side of Bringing It All Back Home as my two favorite albums.

It would share the top spot with TOOM in mine.

PostPosted: Thu January 2nd, 2014, 13:39 GMT 
Titanium Member

Planet Waves at number 14, that's all I know.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 185 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next