Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Thu September 20th, 2018, 19:13 GMT

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu August 20th, 2009, 23:54 GMT 

Any fans here of the tune? The MEZ can crank it up and get into it. Bizzare title & song really. Any decent live renditions of this odd song? Who will come out of the closet to claim their fondness for "Wiggle Wiggle"!! MEZ

PostPosted: Fri August 21st, 2009, 00:00 GMT 
Promethium Member

Really fun song and great live!!! Fun to sing with children and grandchildren.

I would like to see this one make it back into the setlist rotation.

PostPosted: Fri August 21st, 2009, 02:03 GMT 

Bleh.

PostPosted: Fri August 21st, 2009, 02:30 GMT 

Some great live renditions from '90 and '91 that rocked super hard and had almost a punk vibe to them. Don't believe what everyone says about this song and you'll find a hidden gem. Sure, it could've been developed more (and extented) but Bob was moonlighting at the time with the Wilbury's and wasn't into the sessions. I wish it was 7 minutes instead of less than 3. It's better than most of UTRS.

PostPosted: Fri August 21st, 2009, 13:39 GMT 

I like it, it's a sort of forerunner of Tweedle Dee. UTRS is my favourite 'bad' album, sure its undercooked and overprocessed, but in the right hands it could have been a good album.

PostPosted: Sat August 22nd, 2009, 01:41 GMT 

dylankicks wrote:
Some great live renditions from '90 and '91 that rocked super hard and had almost a punk vibe to them. Don't believe what everyone says about this song and you'll find a hidden gem. Sure, it could've been developed more (and extented) but Bob was moonlighting at the time with the Wilbury's and wasn't into the sessions. I wish it was 7 minutes instead of less than 3. It's better than most of UTRS.

i think there actually very few decent renditions from these years. Even in 91, when he did it almost every show, it never seemed like he could ever remember the words. It is a shame b/c I do think it's a fun opener on the album, despite it's reputation. Like Stuart above, it's reminded me of Tweedles as well.

Untrodden Path wrote:

No offense UP, but this just sorta disturbs me. I'm one who never thought of UTRS as "for children" as many have suggested.
Wiggle Wiggle is chock full of nasty sex imagery for better or worse. Don Was said it's Dylan's "Tutti Frutti", which, as sacriligous as that may be, does ring true for me. It's a silly little dance number that could've been fun in another time. Unfortunately, on that album during that year, it's just comes off kinda gross.
That said, I had to search through my boots, but I was sure I remembered one that stood out from the rest. One strange evening in Doswell VA, at a Kings Dominion Amusement Park, Bob took Wiggle Wiggle and showed a glimpse of what the song would be like if only he were having fun...

July 21 1991
http://www.sendspace.com/file/363boq

PostPosted: Sat August 22nd, 2009, 04:53 GMT 

marker wrote:
dylankicks wrote:

i think there actually very few decent renditions from these years. Even in 91, when he did it almost every show, it never seemed like he could ever remember the words. It is a shame b/c I do think it's a fun opener on the album, despite it's reputation. Like Stuart above, it's reminded me of Tweedles as well.

Untrodden Path wrote:

No offense UP, but this just sorta disturbs me. I'm one who never thought of UTRS as "for children" as many have suggested.
Wiggle Wiggle is chock full of nasty sex imagery for better or worse. Don Was said it's Dylan's "Tutti Frutti", which, as sacriligous as that may be, does ring true for me. It's a silly little dance number that could've been fun in another time. Unfortunately, on that album during that year, it's just comes off kinda gross.
That said, I had to search through my boots, but I was sure I remembered one that stood out from the rest. One strange evening in Doswell VA, at a Kings Dominion Amusement Park, Bob took Wiggle Wiggle and showed a glimpse of what the song would be like if only he were having fun...

July 21 1991
http://www.sendspace.com/file/363boq

Yeah, it's rather like he was confused in writing the song - like it started out as an innocent thing and then he decided to pervert it, satisfying no one. It's like some awful sequel to the inspired 'Country Pie.'

The ridiculous Big Rock sound just compounds the difficulty.

That's one of those songs - rare in Bob's catalogue - that just doesn't seem thought out and would benefit from a complete rework. Having said that, different production and a few lyrical tweaks, you'd have you a fun little number.

PostPosted: Sat August 22nd, 2009, 09:44 GMT 

I like Wiggle Wiggle, though it's hardly what you'd call a favourite of mine. I like the intro and the energy of the arrangement.

I think it's based on a book of children's rhymes - which seems to be the jumping off point for much of UTRS - but Dylan distorts it deliberately. In the following song he has his two innocent children baked in a pie, like the blackbirds. There seems to be a lot of disillusion in this album.

PostPosted: Sat August 22nd, 2009, 12:42 GMT 
Promethium Member

marker wrote:
Untrodden Path wrote:

Perhaps, true...but I don't think small children catch the imagery- experience and frame of reference just aren't there. It's fun, catchy, cute little rhymes... it's about imagination. Under the Red Sky is a great album chock full of imagination.

Though having David Crosby and Slash playing on a children's album is more than a little disturbing. :lol:

PostPosted: Sat August 22nd, 2009, 16:23 GMT 

It's a decent tune, but I find it hard to take seriously. Something about Dylan spouting off lines like "Wiggle like a big fat snake!" strikes me as laughable.

PostPosted: Sun August 23rd, 2009, 07:21 GMT 

it's not intended to be taken seriously. I mean it's called Wiggle F'n Wiggle!

Here's a great example of your average Wiggle Wiggle from 1991.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZSFCauUkl0&feature=sub

PostPosted: Sun August 23rd, 2009, 11:18 GMT 

seankeeley wrote:
It's a decent tune, but I find it hard to take seriously. Something about Dylan spouting off lines like "Wiggle like a big fat snake!" strikes me as laughable.

Actually, it's "Wiggle like a big fa-a-a-a-at snake"

PostPosted: Sun August 23rd, 2009, 14:00 GMT 

I can see why some people don't like the song, but I've always gotten a kick out of it. I wouldn't call it a classic by any means, but it's an enjoyable, random little tune. It's nothing extraordinary.

PostPosted: Sun February 3rd, 2013, 07:47 GMT 
Titanium Member

"Wiggle ’til you vomit fire"

PostPosted: Mon February 4th, 2013, 04:28 GMT 
Promethium Member

Listened to this today while heading to the hardware store... What a joy! Does a greater example of Dylan's lyric genius exist than Wiggle, Wiggle?

I find it hard to determine a favorite verse to this song but I do really like
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle, you can raise the dead

However, I think a wiggling ton of lead would resemble an earth shaking rumble.

I am hoping for a return of this classic to the NET setlists very soon! 8)

PostPosted: Mon February 4th, 2013, 04:40 GMT 
Mercury Member

I don't see why everyone is down on the album - i didn't get it until at least a decade after it came out and then I thought, 'wow, this is great fun and i really like it'. Some of the songs (handy dandy?) are simply great songs, others like wiggle wiggle are simply enormous fun... harmless, maybe sexually charged maybe not, but ultimately just fun. I love it. The song 'under the red sky' is wonderful. I can't think of anything negative to say about the whole album, and when you factor in slash, elton etc etc that's a miracle coz i loathe and detest those people.

PostPosted: Mon February 4th, 2013, 16:51 GMT 
Titanium Member

I thought it was a pretty fun track and like someone said, better than most of the Under the Red Sky album. No standout live performances come to mind at the moment.

PostPosted: Mon February 4th, 2013, 19:09 GMT 

..its a song about fishing.. :wink:

PostPosted: Thu February 7th, 2013, 00:52 GMT 

The perfect drunk song for 1991!

PostPosted: Thu February 7th, 2013, 01:02 GMT 
*Senior Contributor*

I love any song that mentions wiggling... and Wiggle, Wiggle is perhaps the best wiggle song ever written.

The song has also aged well... it is just as fresh and relevant today as it was when it was first released.

It's an awesome track full of vibrant, pulsating imagery about wiggling... yet, I feel that the true hesitant beauty of the song would be captured if Dylan chose to re-record this song acoustically... just his plaintive voice, a lonesomely strummed acoustic guitar and lilting lyrics celebrating wiggling.

PostPosted: Thu February 7th, 2013, 01:14 GMT 

thickboy wrote:
I love any song that mentions wiggling... and Wiggle, Wiggle is perhaps the best wiggle song ever written.

The song has also aged well... it is just as fresh and relevant today as it was when it was first released.

It's an awesome track full of vibrant, pulsating imagery about wiggling... yet, I feel that the true hesitant beauty of the song would be captured if Dylan chose to re-record this song acoustically... just his plaintive voice, a lonesomely strummed acoustic guitar and lilting lyrics celebrating wiggling.

Nice post haha. Seriously though, do people forget that Dylan recorded plenty of silly songs early in his career? People get all uptight when he does something that isn't ridiculously deep. It's just a silly, fun song. The end.

PostPosted: Thu February 7th, 2013, 01:15 GMT 
Titanium Member

likeatrain wrote:
The perfect drunk song for 1991!

what does that mean? :shock: that Bob was drunk? :shock:

PostPosted: Sun February 17th, 2013, 14:49 GMT 

I love the song. It really is a blues song about sexual intercourse: "Wiggle on your hands and knees", "(...) wiggle till it comes", "Wiggle like a big fat snake" etc. Musically it's based on Howlin' Wolf's original 1954 version of "Evil". It's basically "Evil" sped up. There were some fantastic live versions in 1991 and 1992.

PostPosted: Sun February 17th, 2013, 15:00 GMT 
*Senior Contributor*

Every time I hear Wiggle Wiggle I always think of the legendary blues singer Ol' Blind Snake-eyes McGrath... has anyone else noticed the similarity in style?

PostPosted: Mon February 18th, 2013, 08:42 GMT 

actually much more of a complex song than percieved
from a much under-rated, misunderstood
UNDER THE RED SKY