Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Thu August 16th, 2018, 09:49 GMT

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed May 22nd, 2013, 02:58 GMT 

^That was great! Thanks for sharing! :)

PostPosted: Wed May 22nd, 2013, 23:19 GMT 
Titanium Member

Hate the studio version on this one. My favorite version of the song is from the "Stuck Inside New York" bootleg.

That's my favorite musical arrangement of the song as well. More often than not, even the best version...I could take it or leave it. Certainly not of my favorites by Bob.

PostPosted: Wed May 22nd, 2013, 23:20 GMT 
Titanium Member

Bennyboy wrote:
Hate it. Needs a new tune and different words.

Yep the lyrics to this one are a big turn off for me even on the musically good versions of the song.

PostPosted: Sun September 1st, 2013, 19:24 GMT 

'Listening to the tape, you can almost see Dylan waving his hands to conduct the grand finale of In The Garden (which he once described as "actually a classical piece"). After a riveting vocal performance that is equal to, though quite distinct from, the Modena version, he returns after what could have been the closing instrumental passage and sings the first line of the song very deliberately, twice, Queens Of Rhythm echoing him the second time, and then the music the band is playing slowly rises to the crescendo it seems to have been building toward throughout the performance, while The Queens Of Rhythm voices swell and soar in a classical-meets-gospel moment that is only all the more wonderful for being sandwiched between Highway 61 Revisited and Tangled Up In Blue.'

Paul Williams

Simply breathtaking....

Dortmund Germany
September 15 1987
http://www.sendspace.com/file/s2b5is

PostPosted: Sun September 1st, 2013, 19:35 GMT 

...and here's video from the 95 Brixton performance!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrg8EHmj ... aa3_TaUQNw

PostPosted: Mon September 2nd, 2013, 02:55 GMT 
Promethium Member

Thanks, marker. I'm partial to the '86 performances with Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers and really like the one with Larry and Charlie from Munich 2002.

PostPosted: Fri September 6th, 2013, 05:32 GMT 

I always found this a total dirge of a song. One thing I will say in defence of Saved is that Bob (and, for that matter, the band) really really does sound "shattered like an empty cup"--utterly exhausted musically and lyrically--so that, artistically and aesthetically, the album does kind of reflect its theme of spiritual exhaustion; for that I respect it, along with the fact that there is something quite moving about the album.

But, boy, Saved is probably the most tuneless album Bob recorded--up there with Springsteen's utter dullness when he aspires to be artistic; performed live the songs might have been another matter, I concede . . .

And while I am on the case, what happened to the drum sound on this album--horrible, even though Keltner is one of Bob's stalwarts.

Definitely over due for a remastering.

PostPosted: Fri September 6th, 2013, 10:45 GMT 

The only song on the magnificent Saved that makes me go "Meh". Doesn't help that I always hear "Naked penis" instead of "Nicodemus".

PostPosted: Fri September 6th, 2013, 12:19 GMT 
Titanium Member

TheGunfighter wrote:
Doesn't help that I always hear "Naked penis" instead of "Nicodemus".

Wait, it's not "naked penis"?

PostPosted: Fri September 6th, 2013, 14:16 GMT 

In The Garden was one of many highlights of my first Dylan show, at Canandaigua, NY in June 1988. Having taped it off the radio (and played constantly) from the "Hard to Handle" simulcast, I knew it well; it was a "What?! Cool!" moment for me.

PostPosted: Fri September 6th, 2013, 22:37 GMT 
Titanium Member

marker wrote:
'Listening to the tape, you can almost see Dylan waving his hands to conduct the grand finale of In The Garden (which he once described as "actually a classical piece"). After a riveting vocal performance that is equal to, though quite distinct from, the Modena version, he returns after what could have been the closing instrumental passage and sings the first line of the song very deliberately, twice, Queens Of Rhythm echoing him the second time, and then the music the band is playing slowly rises to the crescendo it seems to have been building toward throughout the performance, while The Queens Of Rhythm voices swell and soar in a classical-meets-gospel moment that is only all the more wonderful for being sandwiched between Highway 61 Revisited and Tangled Up In Blue.'

Paul Williams

Simply breathtaking....

Dortmund Germany
September 15 1987
http://www.sendspace.com/file/s2b5is

That was excellent. Thanks for the reminder, just went back to listen. What it's sandwiched between is indeed great too.

PostPosted: Fri September 20th, 2013, 01:42 GMT 

"In The Garden"......... Absolutely complete brilliance. A masterpiece. Period.

PostPosted: Tue December 31st, 2013, 22:06 GMT 

I love how Bob would open this song with this speech in 87!!

'I’m gonna sing a song about my hero. Everybody’s got their own hero. I don’t know who your hero is, maybe Mel Gibson . . . maybe for some people it’s Michael Jackson . . . or Bruce Springsteen . . . Anyway I don’t care nothing about none of those people. I have my own hero. I’m gonna sing about my hero now.'

They opened 'Hard To Handle' with this speech and song which is a wild way to start a Dylan concert movie...
especially since this song generally closed these 87 shows in reality:)
Check it out:
http://www.rtve.es/alacarta/videos/musi ... 86/480212/

And at the last show of the following year, he opened the song with this doozy:
'You know this Amnesty Tour is going on and I was very honored last year they chose a Bob Dylan song to be their theme song. “I Shall Be Released” that was. This year they surprised me again by doing another Bob Dylan song as their theme song — they used 'Chimes of Freedom.' Next year, the Amnesty Tour, I think they’re going to use 'Jokerman.'
Anyway, I’m trying to get them to change their mind. I’m trying to get them to use this one.'

Can you imagine them using Jokerman or In The Garden as their theme song?? Hilarious!!

Oddly, the rendition that follows is probably the best one he ever did...simply extraordinary.

New York NY
October 19 1988
http://www.sendspace.com/file/l16fwf

Aah, I love how strange Bob was in the 80's and how much more awesome he was in live performance than on record.....

PostPosted: Tue December 31st, 2013, 22:10 GMT 
Promethium Member

An underrated marvel.

PostPosted: Sat March 28th, 2015, 20:51 GMT 

Untrodden Path wrote:
Thanks, marker. I'm partial to the '86 performances with Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers and really like the one with Larry and Charlie from Munich 2002.

If I had to choose, this is my favorite song from the Christian albums and live, it's always a major highlight.
UP, I'm completely with you on these faves though I must admit I haven't heard Munich...
I really love the song in the early 00's though.
The first time that particular band did it was a terrific version for those that are interested...
Bob hadn't performed it in 5 years and so much had changed in those years that it sounds like Bob's
delivering the song for the first time and IMO stronger than any version prior...

Cape Girardeau MO
April 25 2001
http://www.mediafire.com/listen/wbi4m4j ... Garden.mp3

PostPosted: Sun March 29th, 2015, 08:57 GMT 

If anyone makes it this far into Saved without falling into a stupor, In the Garden will surely finish them off.

PostPosted: Sun March 29th, 2015, 11:53 GMT 
Promethium Member

Gospel music, particularly an album from this far on the side of the evangelical spectrum, may not be of interest to every one, but Saved is a fantastic gospel album. In the Garden is an interesting (and I think a very good) song. Throughout the live performances over about 20 years, the song had some very interesting and moving, even powerful arrangements.

When The Gospel Songs of Bob Dylan was released in 2003 I was surprised this song was not included. Perhaps its time for a variety of artists to get together and put out The Gospel Songs of Bob Dylan, Volume ll. I'd be happy to see it... and please include Lou Reed's performance of Foot of Pride.

But back to In the Garden... the '86 performances with Tom Petty and the Heartbreakerrs and backed by the Queens of Rhythm are spectacular and the 2001 - 2001 with Larry Campbell and Charlie Sexton... well, words do not do justice.

PostPosted: Sun March 29th, 2015, 17:00 GMT 
*Senior Contributor*

This song, per se, In The Garden has a very covert subtext that borrows strongly from religious overtness.

The listener, per se, you and I can hear parallels in the lyrics that create a very iconic sense of religiousness hidden cryptically within the words of this paen.

This song deserves to be considered as worthy of its historic place within Dylan's finest gospel induced period of praise to a higher plain... it's as good as that.

This could be considered the greatest song Dylan has ever written... it is nothing short of being a masterpiece.

PostPosted: Fri July 13th, 2018, 12:40 GMT 
Promethium Member

Saw the video from Wembley Stadium with Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers in 1987... Impressive performance.

I would like to see Bob bring this back. With the current band line-up it would undoubtedly be rearranged but that is fine by me. It would make a great addition to the set list.

PostPosted: Sat July 14th, 2018, 00:57 GMT 

Average on Saved
Good in 79-81
Very good 86-
Excellent never.

PostPosted: Sat July 14th, 2018, 17:17 GMT 

In some ways, the song has a crazy-type--or at least an unexpected--history at various junctures along the road. Dylan singled it out relatively recently in an interview. When asked which of his songs were under-appreciated (or something to that effect), he singled out both "Brownsville Girl" and "In the Garden."

And whatever Dylan was up to during his Bob Talk from the stage in '88 at Radio City Music Hall in NYC, regarding this song. Something about trying to get the Amnesty International folks to use "In the Garden" during their tour, or at some event.

Fellow Jews Manis Friedman and Allen Ginsberg--who were coming at things very differently theologically--both publicly expressed their appreciation of the song. (Pretty sure Ginsberg said something in an '85 interview about the tune; and Friedman through an interview, maybe with Martin Grossman in the '90s, if memory serves.)

One thing I wouldn't want to bet on is the song being referenced in any of the obituaries written on Dylan when the day comes. Well, maybe a one-off here and there, but who can compete in this world with Mr. Tambourine Man with No Direction Home?