Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Fri August 17th, 2018, 05:05 GMT

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu May 29th, 2014, 14:11 GMT 

Isn't the song just another of Dylan's half-baked patchworks of allusive imagery whose words can be interpreted to mean everything and nothing, but is transformed - through its extraordinary rhythmic power, its haunting, lullaby-like wordplay and Dylan's utterly convincing delivery - into a piece of musical art that when first heard seems to have been with you forever and will stay with you forever and will be there to give you strength when it's time to move on when the sailors have proved themselves phonies, the armies that will fight your battles have been revealed as mere fantasies, your lovers have left you, and someone else is waiting to take your place in the game of self-deceit called life, and it's time to start again someplace else when the saints come marching in?

I've always adored the image of the match being struck...makes me think of a candle being lit in a church, at a funeral perhaps. This would make a great song for a funeral.

PostPosted: Thu May 29th, 2014, 14:23 GMT 
Titanium Member

Brian Hamilton Smith wrote:
Isn't the song just another of Dylan's half-baked patchworks of allusive imagery whose words can be interpreted to mean everything and nothing, but is transformed - through its extraordinary rhythmic power, its haunting, lullaby-like wordplay and Dylan's utterly convincing delivery - into a piece of musical art that when first heard seems to have been with you forever and will stay with you forever and will be there to give you strength when it's time to move on when the sailors have proved themselves phonies, the armies that will fight your battles have been revealed as mere fantasies, your lovers have left you, and someone else is waiting to take your place in the game of self-deceit called life, and it's time to start again someplace else when the saints come marching in?

That's quite a sentence Brian, and extremely well written!!! I especially like -

"Isn't the song just another of Dylan's half-baked patchworks of allusive imagery whose words can be interpreted to mean everything and nothing, but is transformed - through its extraordinary rhythmic power, its haunting, lullaby-like wordplay and Dylan's utterly convincing delivery - into a piece of musical art that when first heard seems to have been with you forever"

My only minor quibble with your superb description here(which could easily apply to most of his work), is your use of "half-baked".
On the contrary, this song is "fully cooked", as I have no doubt Mr. Dylan was when he wrote it.

But again, superb description of the vast talent embodied in this otherworldly individual!!

PostPosted: Thu May 29th, 2014, 14:58 GMT 
Senior Moderator

When it comes to cooking up words, if Bob is a master chef perhaps he's poached them!

PostPosted: Thu May 29th, 2014, 15:10 GMT 
Titanium Member

charlesdarwin wrote:
When it comes to cooking up words, if Bob is a master chef perhaps he's poached them!

Perfect double entendre mon amis!!

But as to the poached meaning, regarding cooking, the image is too frail and light - I would lean towards "deep fried", which again, to my liking, relates to his mental state too.

PostPosted: Sat February 13th, 2016, 21:49 GMT 

Location: In the valley of the giants where the stars and stripes explode
My favourite live "Baby Blue"
It's from '99 Zurich
Besides the cool singing, arrangement and mood there is also
a very nice accoustic guitar intro and solo by Bob.
Good stuff, check it out!
http://mfi.re/listen/4cyp5h40fyaf2ke/7. ... y_Blue.mp3

PostPosted: Wed July 4th, 2018, 15:13 GMT 

Question...

Is the one on Biograph (the one that was remastered about '97) taken from what became Guitars Kissing or it from another source?

I remember finding a copy of Guitars Kissing the summer before it was officially released and then foolishly parted ways with it after the official copy became available which ended up being a mistake as it just never quite came up to sound of the earlier version to my ears. Now I did just track down a copy of Guitars Kissing for old time sake but unsure if even that will live up to that standard set by the sound of that Biograph Baby Blue.

Thanks.

PostPosted: Wed July 4th, 2018, 21:04 GMT 

Great Song but never cared much for the studio version.I thought the outtake was far better melodically.There has been many great live versions over the years

PostPosted: Sun July 8th, 2018, 04:47 GMT 
Titanium Member

Defining moment of Don’t Look Back. It’s all forward.

PostPosted: Sun July 8th, 2018, 12:07 GMT 

TOOM wrote:
Question...

Is the one on Biograph (the one that was remastered about '97) taken from what became Guitars Kissing or it from another source?

I remember finding a copy of Guitars Kissing the summer before it was officially released and then foolishly parted ways with it after the official copy became available which ended up being a mistake as it just never quite came up to sound of the earlier version to my ears. Now I did just track down a copy of Guitars Kissing for old time sake but unsure if even that will live up to that standard set by the sound of that Biograph Baby Blue.

Thanks.

I think this version is my favorite thing he has ever recorded.

PostPosted: Sun July 8th, 2018, 18:23 GMT 

I've often wondered why this particular song sticks with me. Certainly the Don't Look Back moment is indelible. As some have mentioned, I love the officially released outtake version and go back to it more often than the one on BIABH. Then there are the many formidable covers, especially the Dead ones. Jerry's voice is perfect for this song, although curiously the recording on the Dead's Dylan tribute album is second rate compared to others in my opinion.

Ultimately though, something happens to me when I pick up a guitar, strum that opening D chord and sing this tune. There's something about this lyric that just calls out to be sung. Many of Bob's greatest songs are either hard to sing properly (Idiot Wind comes to mind) or so overdone it's not worth the effort (LARS and Times They Are, for 2 obvious ones). But for some reason, Baby Blue feels right sung out loud. Silly maybe, but that's the best I can do explain it.

PostPosted: Wed July 11th, 2018, 21:36 GMT 

obviously.... you're not a songwriter