Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Fri February 22nd, 2019, 06:56 GMT

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat May 30th, 2009, 03:57 GMT 

I'm very interested to see what the braintrust here thinks of this tune, I really love it. It comes across pretty good live to. I'm glad he's periodically kept it in the setlists over the years, albeit infrequently. As per the norm, any thoughts or comments are welcome, as are live rendition great dates or even a great post of a boot of this song. Lets see what the consensus is here. The MEZ really likes this song.

PostPosted: Sat May 30th, 2009, 05:49 GMT 
Promethium Member

I don't know if it is the single worst song he ever wrote but it doesn't matter; when songs get this awful who cares enough to rank order them?

At the other end of the songwriting spectrum, Tim Hardin's "Lenny's Tune" - one junkie singing to another - is the best song ever written about Lenny.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ybC2jhYe00

PostPosted: Sat May 30th, 2009, 05:54 GMT 

I love it for its awfulness. If you don't love the line, "Never robbed any churches, nor cut off any baby's head," then you are a lost cause. That's such a random, bizarre line, that it makes the song quite possibly the greatest of all time. And he sings it without laughing. I'm pretty good about keeping bad songs off my mp3 player, but "Lenny Bruce" makes it on there just for the sheer awesomeness.

PostPosted: Sat May 30th, 2009, 07:54 GMT 

Mez,
I'm with you. I also am quite fond of this song as I am with all of
Shot of Love. Far from being his worst and certainly not
awful, Lenny Bruce is a martyr ballad, no different than
Hurricane or Only A Pawn in His Game. Someone somewhere
once pointed out to me that John Lennon's death preyed upon the collective
unconscious all throughout 1980 and 81 and that this song was Bob's personal tribute
to him as well. Interesting theory. We're not
sure if he ever shared a taxi with Lenny, we of course bear witness
to the cab ride with Lennon. Regardless, I'm always moved by its emotional
rawness and strange imagery. i also think it has a lovely melody.
Certainly better than the studio,
my live nomination:
Avignon 7/25/81

http://www.sendspace.com/file/utwz5b

Md23Rewls I'm sure you love this awfulness :D :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8pjSwt93v2U

PostPosted: Sat May 30th, 2009, 12:32 GMT 
Titanium Member

It's pretty bad, for the Dylan canon, but obviously heartfelt. What can you say - Lenny was a kind of awful hero to people like David Amram, fellow Jewish hipsters, only Lenny turned left and went sidewise because, as Dylan surmises, "He didn't want to live anymore." Well, David's still going strong, around 75 or so by now, globe-trotting, composing symphonic music all over the world, and where's Lenny? To the present point, where's Bob? He got past that near-fatal attraction to the drug-filled life, looks like, and left at least this record of the possibility down that particular path. Glad he talked himself out of following Lenny all the way or he could have O'd on a toilet too before he was out of the mid-Sixties. God bless commonsense upbringing. RIP Lenny :(

PostPosted: Sat May 30th, 2009, 13:15 GMT 
Mercury Member

I like the song, its straight-talkin and heartfelt.

He did it at the first show I went to in 95, pretty poorly compared to the other songs, but hey.

PostPosted: Sat May 30th, 2009, 13:46 GMT 
Promethium Member

Yeah... but hey. :roll:

PostPosted: Sat May 30th, 2009, 15:10 GMT 
Mercury Member

Long Johnny wrote:

Come on mate, sometimes you cut slack cos it feels right, despite everything. Now what I mean?

PostPosted: Sat May 30th, 2009, 15:19 GMT 
Promethium Member

Bennyboy wrote:
Long Johnny wrote:

Come on mate, sometimes you cut slack cos it feels right, despite everything. Now what I mean?

Yeah, but sometime a great songwriter gets really drunk and then forgets he was never going to let anyone see that crap.

It's a horrible song because it has nothing to do with Lenny Bruce; he could substitute "Darryl Strawberry" and it would make NO difference. The melody isn't bad, but the lazy drunk little goober didn't even try to find a lyric. Just give 'em the first whatever that comes to mind and they'll STILL eat it up. I mean, seriously, why try when you know you don't have to?

PostPosted: Sat May 30th, 2009, 15:48 GMT 

So bad it was one of the Dylan songs I didn't bother putting on the computer when I digitalised my CDs. As a consequence I've not heard it for ten years. I'm in no hurry to change that.

PostPosted: Sat May 30th, 2009, 16:11 GMT 
Promethium Member

The song grows in stature through it's live performances-I like most of them better than the studio version, though I don't frankly feel it's all that bad either (then again--I actually LIKE Property of Jesus).

PostPosted: Sat May 30th, 2009, 16:16 GMT 
Mercury Member

Long Johnny wrote:
Bennyboy wrote:
Long Johnny wrote:

Yeah, but sometime a great songwriter gets really drunk and then forgets he was never going to let anyone see that crap.

It's a horrible song because it has nothing to do with Lenny Bruce; he could substitute "Darryl Strawberry" and it would make NO difference. The melody isn't bad, but the lazy drunk little goober didn't even try to find a lyric. Just give 'em the first whatever that comes to mind and they'll STILL eat it up. I mean, seriously, why try when you know you don't have to?

It has everything to do with Lenny Bruce, don't understand how you fail to see that. Bob chose the words to make a point, thats exactly why he didn't sing 'Darryl Strawberry is dead...'.

Silly argument. It comes down to you not liking the song, well thats fine, no skin off my nose. I think its quite a powerful tribute, albeit with some clumsy lyrics in parts. But thats kinda part of its charm.

PostPosted: Sat May 30th, 2009, 16:41 GMT 

I've always enjoyed this one. I have no clue why that is.

-dELVIS-

PostPosted: Sat May 30th, 2009, 18:27 GMT 

Long Johnny has once again confused a song from one of Dylan's real albums with his beloved Modern Times. Alas, Lenny Bruce is not quite a song which is bereft of a subject or meaning (it's patently ridiculous, for instance, to suggest that the line "But he sure was funny and he sure told the truth and he knew what he was talkin' about" applies equally to Bruce and Darryl Strawberry; it doesn't), although it's certainly the low point on an otherwise decentish recording. Still, like others here, I'm wont to cut it slack, although I find myself unable to come up with any substantive reasons to explain my appreciation for the thing. I guess all of us have a little room in our hearts for some of the dross that Bobby records, so long as it's well played and clearly sung. I am willing to admit that the song is undoubtedly dross, however. The "cut off any babies heads" line is cringe-worthy.

Quote:
Silly argument. It comes down to you not liking the song, well thats fine, no skin off my nose.

We should all just start copy and pasting this after each of Long Johnny's posts. :lol:

PostPosted: Sat May 30th, 2009, 18:29 GMT 
Promethium Member

sphinx wrote:
Long Johnny has once again confused a song from one of Dylan's real albums with his beloved Modern Times. Alas, Lenny Bruce is not quite a song which is bereft of a subject or meaning (it's patently ridiculous, for instance, to suggest that the line "But he sure was funny and he sure told the truth and he knew what he was talkin' about" applies equally to Bruce and Darryl Strawberry; it doesn't), although it's certainly the low point from an otherwise decentish recording. Still, like others here, I'm wont to cut it slack, although I find myself unable to come up with any substantive reasons to explain my appreciation for the thing. I guess all of us have a little room in our hearts for some of the dross that Bobby records, so long as it's well played and clearly sung. I am willing to admit that the song is undoubtedly dross, however. The "cut off any babies heads" line is cringe-worthy.

Quote:
Silly argument. It comes down to you not liking the song, well thats fine, no skin off my nose.

We should all just start copy and pasting this after each of Long Johnny's posts. :lol:

It would have been a lot simpler to just say "I agree. This song blows." :lol:

PostPosted: Sat May 30th, 2009, 21:58 GMT 

marker wrote:
Mez,
Lenny Bruce is a martyr ballad, no different than Hurricane or Only A Pawn in His Game.

Well one obvious difference between LB and the other 2 quoted is that whilst RAZ doesn´t figure prominently in the narrative for either song2 or for song3, his presence pervades the lyrics LB like an eminence gris.

On reflection, I would suggest that the split LB:RAZ in the descriptions is probably about 40:60.

PostPosted: Sat May 30th, 2009, 23:27 GMT 

I'm sad about the lack of respect shown this song, I really love it. As mentioned above the lyrics can veer towrads the clumsy at moments but its a very moving tribute at least to my ears. Easily the best song on Shot of Love.

PostPosted: Sat May 30th, 2009, 23:54 GMT 

housecarpenter wrote:
I'm sad about the lack of respect shown this song, I really love it. As mentioned above the lyrics can veer towrads the clumsy at moments but its a very moving tribute at least to my ears. Easily the best song on Shot of Love.

When Dylan performed the song at Earls Court in '81 it was a clear crowd favourite. Whats wrong with a lyric about 'cutting off babies heads'? The song was written at a time when American troops were being belatedly accused of all kinds of atrocities in Vietnam. The same government that sent those troops into action called Bruce subversive.

Dylan obviously does not feel the same way about the song as some of the experts on here. Mind you Housecarpenter there is no way that this song is better than 'Every Grain of Sand'. IMO.

PostPosted: Sun May 31st, 2009, 02:53 GMT 

Nothing special about this song really.

PostPosted: Sun May 31st, 2009, 03:00 GMT 
Promethium Member

Glad he pulls it out occassionally on tour. It a nice song and a bit humorous in regards to the lyrics.

Precious.

Simply precious.

PostPosted: Sun May 31st, 2009, 04:21 GMT 

It's not a good song, really. But it is transparent and heartfelt, like Bob just wrote it for himself. Stuff like this, even though it's not really very good, deepens our understanding of where the man is coming from as an artist. Like seeing one of Picasso's sketches...

PostPosted: Sun May 31st, 2009, 04:39 GMT 
Promethium Member

BigFrank wrote:
marker wrote:
Mez,
Lenny Bruce is a martyr ballad, no different than Hurricane or Only A Pawn in His Game.

Well one obvious difference between LB and the other 2 quoted is that whilst RAZ doesn´t figure prominently in the narrative for either song2 or for song3, his presence pervades the lyrics LB like an eminence gris.

On reflection, I would suggest that the split LB:RAZ in the descriptions is probably about 40:60.

No comments on this, eh? Serves you right for being subtle, Bob.

PostPosted: Mon June 1st, 2009, 10:43 GMT 

smoke wrote:
BigFrank wrote:
marker wrote:
Mez,

No comments on this, eh? Serves you right for being subtle, Bob.

Since this is the second time in about a week I've seen implications made that LB is autobiographical, can someone please put some flesh on this theory, rather than crytic comments?

PostPosted: Mon June 1st, 2009, 13:26 GMT 

housecarpenter wrote:

Surely you jest.

What about "In The Summertime" or the title track?

-dELVIS-

PostPosted: Mon June 1st, 2009, 14:33 GMT 
Promethium Member

Jesus.... If you're going to spend any time discussing Shot Of Love where are the Voodoo Lounge and Steel Wheels threads?