Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Wed June 19th, 2019, 09:37 GMT

All times are UTC




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 36 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Tue July 29th, 2008, 17:50 GMT 

Joined: Sun November 14th, 2004, 21:25 GMT
Posts: 974
Previously circulating tracks listed in italics
Previously unknown tracks listed in boldface
("Unknown" is a slippery thing, though; we didn't really have specific information about Modern Times outtakes, but nobody should be surprised that they exist. For that matter, it may be that many of the Oh Mercy outtakes are already circulating, but there's no way to be certain, given the many different forms in which those tracks are likely to exist; it's also possible that the Bromberg session songs could be alternates of the circulating takes.)

One interesting aspect of this compilation is the set of gaps in Dylan's recording history. The 1985-89 gap, the reportedly interesting material that Dylan shelved remains unheard. No alternates/outtakes from Red Sky or L&T.

The mix of circulating/uncirculating material looks to be close to 50-50, especially since some of the Oh Mercy material may be takes that haven't circulated. About 40% looks to be from Lanois-produced sessions.

Conspicuous in its absence: Paula Abdul/Mr Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore

Not enough of: those gorgeous live acoustic covers, from "Eileen Aroon" to "Roving Blade" to "Rock Of Ages."

And I was hoping for: [Shake?] Sugaree

Disc One
1. Mississippi 6:04 (Unreleased, Time Out of Mind)
2. Most of the Time 3:46 (Alternate version, Oh Mercy)
3. Dignity 2:09 (Piano demo, Oh Mercy)
4. Someday Baby 5:56 (Alternate version, Modern Times)
5. Red River Shore 7:36 (Unreleased, Time Out of Mind)
6. Tell Ol' Bill 5:31 (Alternate version, North Country soundtrack)
7. Born in Time 4:10 (Unreleased, Oh Mercy)
8. Can't Wait 5:45 (Alternate version, Time Out of Mind)
9. Everything is Broken 3:27 (Alternate version, Oh Mercy)
10. Dreamin' of You 6:23 (Unreleased, Time Out Of Mind)
11. Huck's Tune 4:09 (From Lucky You soundtrack)
12. Marchin' to the City 6:36 (Unreleased, Time Out of Mind)
13. High Water (For Charley Patton) 6:40 (Live, August 23, 2003,Niagara Falls, Ontario, Canada)
Disc Two
1. Mississippi 6:24 (Unreleased version #2, Time Out of Mind)
2. 32-20 Blues 4:22 (Unreleased, World Gone Wrong)
3. Series of Dreams 6:27 (Unreleased, Oh Mercy)
4. God Knows 3:12 (Unreleased, Oh Mercy)
5. I Can't Escape from You 5:22 (Unreleased, December 2005) [quite possibly a Hank Williams cover]
6. Dignity 5:25 (Unreleased, Oh Mercy)
7. Ring Them Bells 4:59 (Live at The Supper Club, November 17, 1993,New York, NY)
8. Cocaine Blues 5:30 (Live, August 24, 1997, Vienna, VA)
9. Ain't Talkin' 6:13 (Alternate version, Modern Times)
10. The Girl on the Greenbriar Shore 2:51 (Live, June 30, 1992,Dunkerque, France)
11. Lonesome Day Blues 7:37 (Live, February 1, 2002, Sunrise, FL)
12. Miss the Mississippi 3:20 (Unreleased, 1992)
13. The Lonesome River 3:04 (With Ralph Stanley, from the album Clinch Mountain Country)
14. 'Cross the Green Mountain 8:15 (From Gods and Generals Soundtrack)

or the deluxe edition contains this extra cd and vinyl 7:

Disc Three (Deluxe Set Only)
1. Duncan & Brady 3:47 (Unreleased, 1992)
2. Cold Irons Bound 5:57 (Live at Bonnaroo, 2004)
3. Mississippi 6:24 (Unreleased version #3, Time Out of Mind)
4. Most of the Time 5:10 (Alternate version #2, Oh Mercy)
5. Ring Them Bells 3:18 (Alternate version, Oh Mercy)
6. Things Have Changed 5:32 (Live, June 15, 2000, Portland, OR)
7. Red River Shore 7:08 (Unreleased version #2, Time Out of Mind)
8. Born in Time 4:19 (Unreleased version #2, Oh Mercy)
9. Tryin' to Get to Heaven 5:10 (Live, October 5, 2000, London,England)
10. Marchin' to the City 3:39 (Unreleased version #2, Time Out of Mind)
11. Can't Wait 7:24 (Alternate version #2, Time Out of Mind)
12. Mary and the Soldier 4:23 (Unreleased, World Gone Wrong)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue July 29th, 2008, 18:32 GMT 

Joined: Sun June 22nd, 2008, 10:05 GMT
Posts: 157
monicasdude wrote:

5. I Can't Escape from You 5:22 (Unreleased, December 2005) [quite possibly a Hank Williams cover]


The Edna Gundersen article says 'Can't Escape From You' was "written for a film but never used"


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue July 29th, 2008, 18:34 GMT 
Promethium Member
User avatar

Joined: Mon December 6th, 2004, 06:22 GMT
Posts: 15016
Location: Scarlet Town
I thought Mississippi was from Love and Theft. Was it originally supposed to be on TOoM


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue July 29th, 2008, 18:47 GMT 

Joined: Sun November 14th, 2004, 21:25 GMT
Posts: 974
The Sony/Columbia press release includes this track in a list where all the other songs are covers, and uses the Hank Williams version of the title there. So don't be surprised if it's a cover. (Or if it's not.)

TWZ wrote:
monicasdude wrote:

5. I Can't Escape from You 5:22 (Unreleased, December 2005) [quite possibly a Hank Williams cover]


The Edna Gundersen article says 'Can't Escape From You' was "written for a film but never used"


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue July 29th, 2008, 19:23 GMT 

Joined: Mon June 5th, 2006, 18:41 GMT
Posts: 2032
Milkcow wrote:
I thought Mississippi was from Love and Theft. Was it originally supposed to be on TOoM

Yeah, it was originally written/performed during the TOOM sessions but Dylan didn't do the studio version we have until Love and Theft.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue July 29th, 2008, 19:27 GMT 
Promethium Member
User avatar

Joined: Mon December 6th, 2004, 06:22 GMT
Posts: 15016
Location: Scarlet Town
oh, okay, and thank you for letting me know... I thought I had read something like that, but I couldn't remember. I knew someone on here would know and set me straight. Thank you


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed July 30th, 2008, 14:14 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Sun November 26th, 2006, 10:45 GMT
Posts: 381
Location: Northern Ireland
Thanks monicasdude ... when I read what you write I know I'm getting the facts! Cheers!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed July 30th, 2008, 14:43 GMT 
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Fri December 29th, 2006, 20:42 GMT
Posts: 1337
Location: Merrimack, NH
monicasdude wrote:
The Sony/Columbia press release includes this track in a list where all the other songs are covers, and uses the Hank Williams version of the title there. So don't be surprised if it's a cover. (Or if it's not.)


I wonder if it's possibly something unused from the Hank Williams' "Briefcase/Shoebox" songs project that reportedly will be released later this year.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed July 30th, 2008, 17:02 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Sun November 26th, 2006, 10:45 GMT
Posts: 381
Location: Northern Ireland
Good grief ... yes, forgot about that for a moment (!) ... our wallets are going to be busy! Cheers! But it will all be worth it ... you can't take it with you; there are no pockets in shrouds!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed July 30th, 2008, 19:10 GMT 

Joined: Sun February 5th, 2006, 03:43 GMT
Posts: 154
Location: Philly
That Lonesome Day Blues is a great one, it'll be nice to have a SBD of it.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu July 31st, 2008, 00:53 GMT 

Joined: Mon November 1st, 2004, 16:01 GMT
Posts: 485
The only thing "I Can't Escape From You" shares with the Hank Williams song is the title.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu July 31st, 2008, 02:26 GMT 

Joined: Sun November 14th, 2004, 21:25 GMT
Posts: 974
I'd be very surprised if this weren't the audience recording previously available at bobdylan.com

The Wicked Drifter wrote:
That Lonesome Day Blues is a great one, it'll be nice to have a SBD of it.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu July 31st, 2008, 04:00 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Wed February 6th, 2008, 23:46 GMT
Posts: 3559
Location: Meh
I'm interested to see what the alternate version of Ain't Talkin' is like, as that is a song that has a very certain and defined mood and feel. Will be interesting to see if there is any major change to it.

I'm amazed that some people are dissapointed by the track-listing. I was expecting much less that what is on offer. On paper, it's head and shoulders abover Bootleg Series 6 & 7, which were a little underwhelming.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu July 31st, 2008, 05:29 GMT 

Joined: Thu November 30th, 2006, 23:27 GMT
Posts: 107
The alternate "Ain't Talkin'" is the song that I am most curious about, behind the "Mississippi" tracks. I hope it is very different than the Modern Times version, because that one is just about perfect as it is.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu July 31st, 2008, 05:32 GMT 

Joined: Thu June 26th, 2008, 08:49 GMT
Posts: 64
Well about the track list,half of the songs we've allready heard them.All the Oh Mercy outtakes and alt versions,the live recordings,Hucks Tune,Cross The Green Mountain and Miss The Mississippi from the Broomberg sessions.Unless the Oh Mercy versions are different takes
(but i doubt it).And why Miss The Mississippi?There are only 4 songs from the Broomberg sessions that are circulating ,from the 15 songs that said that theyve been mixed, and they put out one of those?i would love to see 27 songs that i've never ever heard before,songs that i didnt knew about their existance and i know there are still unknown gems.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu July 31st, 2008, 08:35 GMT 
Titanium Member
User avatar

Joined: Tue September 11th, 2007, 10:00 GMT
Posts: 6321
Location: 3650 miles east of Duquesne.
Agree more Bromberg would have been great, but, hey, there's a hell of a lot of good stuff promised here!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu July 31st, 2008, 13:04 GMT 

Joined: Fri April 20th, 2007, 14:04 GMT
Posts: 499
panayiotis wrote:
Well about the track list,half of the songs we've allready heard them.All the Oh Mercy outtakes and alt versions


I've never heard anything resembling a "folk" version of Most of the Time, and there's only one circulating outtake of Born in Time from Oh Mercy, yet there are two on this set. Also, unless they added the non-rare version of Dignity from the Dylan box set, the outtake here would be completely different.

Nappy wrote:
I'm interested to see what the alternate version of Ain't Talkin' is like, as that is a song that has a very certain and defined mood and feel. Will be interesting to see if there is any major change to it.


I'm curious about that, too. For one thing, it's almost 2 1/2 minutes shorter than the album version. And Someday Baby is 1 minute longer.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu July 31st, 2008, 13:24 GMT 
Titanium Member
User avatar

Joined: Tue September 11th, 2007, 10:00 GMT
Posts: 6321
Location: 3650 miles east of Duquesne.
I think Someday Baby must have been tricky to pin down in the studio. Is it still true to say that is the only song from MT never to have been played live?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu July 31st, 2008, 14:36 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Mon January 9th, 2006, 04:03 GMT
Posts: 1912
Location: I should be in Hollywood.
stephenoxford wrote:
I think Someday Baby must have been tricky to pin down in the studio. Is it still true to say that is the only song from MT never to have been played live?


Yessir, never been played live.


-Delvis-


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu July 31st, 2008, 15:59 GMT 

Joined: Sat March 17th, 2007, 22:03 GMT
Posts: 127
panayiotis wrote:
(but i doubt it).And why Miss The Mississippi?There are only 4 songs from the Broomberg sessions that are circulating ,from the 15 songs that said that theyve been mixed, and they put out one of those?i would love to see 27 songs that i've never ever heard before,songs that i didnt knew about their existance and i know there are still unknown gems.


The Bromberg Songs sound to me like a posthumous Bootleg Series 15 of completely unheard songs.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu July 31st, 2008, 22:17 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Wed February 6th, 2008, 23:46 GMT
Posts: 3559
Location: Meh
jclibby wrote:
panayiotis wrote:
Well about the track list,half of the songs we've allready heard them.All the Oh Mercy outtakes and alt versions


I've never heard anything resembling a "folk" version of Most of the Time, and there's only one circulating outtake of Born in Time from Oh Mercy, yet there are two on this set. Also, unless they added the non-rare version of Dignity from the Dylan box set, the outtake here would be completely different.

Nappy wrote:
I'm interested to see what the alternate version of Ain't Talkin' is like, as that is a song that has a very certain and defined mood and feel. Will be interesting to see if there is any major change to it.


I'm curious about that, too. For one thing, it's almost 2 1/2 minutes shorter than the album version. And Someday Baby is 1 minute longer.


Hmmm, I didn't realise that about Ain't Talkin'. Would be fantastic if it is indeed a faster version.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu July 31st, 2008, 22:56 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Sat June 2nd, 2007, 06:51 GMT
Posts: 865
yeah I agree, i think the Bromberg album will come out eventually and this is just a taste.

I have to say that I am NOT dissapointed with the tracklisting at all. Sure, I would like to have a bit more on "love and theft" but maybe there wasn't anything notable left from that masterpiece. My sense is that whoever compiled this (perhaps Berkowitz) spent some time on this board and read a bunch of stuff that we wanted. C'mon, the alternate tell ol bill (you know which version is going to be on here, we made such a stink about this being superior to the released version). Mississippi, red river shore, c'mon we got what we asked for. I love having multiple versions of Dylan tracks just with slight differences and I bet the ones that are on BS8 are notably different. :)

I am hoping for a gospel live album next or the supper club dvd/cd combo!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu July 31st, 2008, 23:12 GMT 

Joined: Thu July 31st, 2008, 17:59 GMT
Posts: 57
I'm pretty happy with the track list as well--I love that it focuses on his later work. The only thing I'm not crazy about is the inclusion of the already released soundtrack songs. While they are rarities, that doesn't mean much in the post itunes world. Too bad they aren't all alternate versions like Tell Ol' Bill. Heck, why not include the alternate version of Waitin' for You--that was only briefly available through a build your own mix cd service years back--that is certainly obscure enough.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri August 1st, 2008, 04:29 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Sat June 2nd, 2007, 06:51 GMT
Posts: 865
carrma wrote:
I'm pretty happy with the track list as well--I love that it focuses on his later work. The only thing I'm not crazy about is the inclusion of the already released soundtrack songs. While they are rarities, that doesn't mean much in the post itunes world. Too bad they aren't all alternate versions like Tell Ol' Bill. Heck, why not include the alternate version of Waitin' for You--that was only briefly available through a build your own mix cd service years back--that is certainly obscure enough.



yeah I do have the soundtrack songs separately already so yeah i understand but it is nice to have them on one Dylan collection. Especially the one's they chose because they are really good and i think will fit the mood of the album. The alternate version of 'waitin for you' was a mistake and really wasn't an alternate version. I ordered one when the offer came up. I was bummed though because a little while later they did include (supposedly) an outtake version of "I threw it all away". I have it on a boot but I want to hear that version--I have been trying to get a hold of that for some time. Same thing with the itunes only 'went to see the gypsy"---bummer! I waited to long!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri August 1st, 2008, 05:18 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Tue July 17th, 2007, 19:05 GMT
Posts: 284
holy shit.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 36 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: appleboy, chrome horse, GateWontClose, Karl Erik, nanook82


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group