Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Fri February 22nd, 2019, 06:52 GMT

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri July 4th, 2008, 05:56 GMT 

I just listened to Bob in Cynthia Gooding's Radio Show in 1962.
Long time ago... Bob is just 20 and he mentions his upcoming debut album. A lot of giggling. Wonderful document.

Does anybody know more about Cynthia Gooding? Google does not reveal much. She has recorded at least one folk album long time ago. A Wikipedia article does not exist.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri July 4th, 2008, 13:53 GMT 

She recorded about a half dozen LPs of traditional, sometimes "ethnic" folk songs in the 1950s, and became a radio host and major archivist of the VIllage folk scene in the early 1960s. She died about 20 years ago, and only very small parts of her archives appear to have been preserved.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat July 5th, 2008, 18:01 GMT 

Oh, that's sad.
I didn't expect that answer at all.

I assume that she was quite young, too, when she did the interview in 1962. She is such a kind person in this interview, encouraging and enthusiastic.

I can hardly bear if someone and his or her life project is totally forgotten.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat July 5th, 2008, 18:02 GMT 

oh... and thanks a lot for your answer!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat July 5th, 2008, 18:41 GMT 

totally random wrote:
Oh, that's sad.
I didn't expect that answer at all.

I assume that she was quite young, too, when she did the interview in 1962. She is such a kind person in this interview, encouraging and enthusiastic.

I can hardly bear if someone and his or her life project is totally forgotten.

She was 37, in 1962, at the time of the interview. Bob was only 20.
She "sounded "younger. She died in 1988 of cancer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat July 5th, 2008, 22:12 GMT 

PostPosted: Fri July 11th, 2008, 20:05 GMT 

Dear "totally random",

I am just now listening to Cynthia Gooding's 1962 interview with Bob for the first time, and like you did about a week ago, I went out on Google to find out more about her, poked around for a while, finding next to nothing -- other than references to that interview! -- until I landed on this page.

I agree that it is very sad that she seems to have disappeared into obscurity.

There isn't even a Wikipedia entry about her! Of all places, one would think that's where one would find *something*.

I would like to get my hands on some of her recordings, or more tapes of her radio show.

PostPosted: Fri July 11th, 2008, 21:56 GMT 

http://www.amazon.com/Sings-Turkish-Spa ... 331&sr=8-1

PostPosted: Sat July 12th, 2008, 05:57 GMT 
Titanium Member

Ms. Gooding (in her later years?) lived here in Lambertville, NJ, the town where I live. Apparently I met her, tho I don't specifically remember it. If I met her, the context was 'Jane, meet my mom' or 'That's Leila's mom over there'

Here's how I became aware of this: about 10 years ago I bought a bootleg tape of Bob's appearance on the Cynthia Gooding radio show. I took the tape to the local guitar shop to play it for the shop's owner, a pal and fellow musician. He says "Oh I heard all those tapes growing up--Cynthia was Leila's mom--you know--Leila, Peter's GF? We used to listen to all of Leila's mom's tapes as teenagers, hanging out over at her house. Her mom had tons of tapes from when she was a folksinger and radio host."

(I'm not certain of the actual spelling of Leila's name...it might be Layla or Leyla or Leila or Lila--I use 'Leila' here as the most-common spelling.)

Peter, mentioned by my friend, is a musician originally from this area, since relocated to the Pacific northwest. Leila and him were a couple. Leila is still in the area, I think.

As my friend explained all this to me, it was definitely one of those 'Wow, this really IS a small world' moments. He said I'd definitely met Cynthia at parties/open mics/whatever hereabouts, but I'm not sure. I remember faces but STINK at remembering names, especially people met at parties or large gatherings.

There are many 'refugees' from various NYC creative realms living out here (or often visiting, or have weekend getaway homes in the area) so someone like Ms. Gooding living here isn't unusual. Several folks hereabouts used to be on the 60's NYC folk/rock scenes, as well as folks who were part of the 70s/80s/NYC punk scene. The Buzzcock's original bassist lives here. An ex-honcho from Stiff Records. A guy who managed the Youngbloods. Leon Redbone. Writers, actors etc.

One who used to tickle me was Robin, who moved west a few years ago. She was the subject of a well-known Diane Arbus photograph, 'Girl In A Shiny Dress.' Robin was VERY funny and cool. Robin Brewer:

Maybe someday I'll get to hear some of Cynthia Gooding's tape stash, if her daughter has any to share with the locals. Bet ya there's some good stuff.

PostPosted: Sat July 12th, 2008, 06:08 GMT 

It makes me smile that we made a small Cynthia-Gooding-Memorial-place here.

Thanks a lot for sharing your memories.

PostPosted: Sun July 13th, 2008, 12:03 GMT 

totally random wrote:

Made me glad to see this happening as well. Every so often I give this Folksingers Choice bootleg a spin and I'm mesmerized by both Bob and Cynthia. It sounds like Bob got mesmerized as well and responds the only way he knows how to, by singing incredibly.
I've got loads of Dylan music, but no Cynthia recordings except for this boot. It is sad ro realize she passed away 20 years ago, and there's hardly anything to remember her by. I bet she's done some pretty amazing interviews/radio shows as well. They must surface some day, one way or another.

Would there be internet wherever she's now? I bet it's a nice read when some people that were not born at the time the radioshow aired are so touched by it.

PostPosted: Sun July 13th, 2008, 12:25 GMT 

mgloerich wrote:
Would there be internet wherever she's now? I bet it's a nice read when some people that were not born at the time the radioshow aired are so touched by it.

I thought of a not-too-mean way of replying to this as I don't want to spoil an otherwise very nice thread.
So let's quote Bob:

"Was that some kind of joke?"

PostPosted: Sun July 13th, 2008, 12:38 GMT 

andy1983 wrote:
"Was that some kind of joke?"

No, more like a humble and hopeful approach to a possibly empty death.

PostPosted: Sun July 13th, 2008, 20:03 GMT 
Titanium Member

mgloerich wrote:
totally random wrote:

Made me glad to see this happening as well. Every so often I give this Folksingers Choice bootleg a spin and I'm mesmerized by both Bob and Cynthia. It sounds like Bob got mesmerized as well and responds the only way he knows how to, by singing incredibly.
I've got loads of Dylan music, but no Cynthia recordings except for this boot. It is sad ro realize she passed away 20 years ago, and there's hardly anything to remember her by. I bet she's done some pretty amazing interviews/radio shows as well. They must surface some day, one way or another.

Besides shows like Cynthia Gooding's there was tons of incredible live music regularly broadcast by NYC's FM radio stations at that time. Primarily non-profit/college stations like WBAI (still at it) WFMU, WNYC, others. They'd do live broadcasts from clubs, concerts, etc...as well as in-studio artist inteviews. Thinking back on it, my friends and I never realized how amazing it was to regularly hear such stuff. "hey did you catch that show last night where John Herald jammed with Odetta?" We were kids and figured that kinda stuff was just What Ya Got From The Radio, like Red Skelton and Lucille Ball were What Ya Got From TV.

The net provides something similar these days. Club culture does similar for urban dance culture.

Always seek out the stuff at the narrow ends of the tuning dials.

PostPosted: Sun July 13th, 2008, 21:03 GMT 
Titanium Member

queenjane wrote:
mgloerich wrote:
totally random wrote:

Besides shows like Cynthia Gooding's there was tons of incredible live music regularly broadcast by NYC's FM radio stations at that time. Primarily non-profit/college stations like WBAI (still at it) WFMU, WNYC, others. They'd do live broadcasts from clubs, concerts, etc...as well as in-studio artist inteviews. Thinking back on it, my friends and I never realized how amazing it was to regularly hear such stuff. "hey did you catch that show last night where John Herald jammed with Odetta?" We were kids and figured that kinda stuff was just What Ya Got From The Radio, like Red Skelton and Lucille Ball were What Ya Got From TV.

The net provides something similar these days. Club culture does similar for urban dance culture.

Always seek out the stuff at the narrow ends of the tuning dials.

Why can't we have more radio stations like that now playing that kind of music.

PostPosted: Sun July 13th, 2008, 21:06 GMT 
Titanium Member

You obviously haven't heard KissFM. :wink:

PostPosted: Mon July 14th, 2008, 04:52 GMT 

Queen Jane (and others),

I too hail from New Jersey -- Port Reading, to be exact (that's exit 12). But now, I live in the Pacific Northwest (Seattle).

I am becoming very interested in uncovering more about Ms. Gooding.
As a documentary filmmaker by training and inclination, I am thinking this might be an interesting topic for a film.

If you're interested, perhaps we should continue this discussion off this list, as it is not strictly Bob-related...?

Please email me directly at bixgomez@gmail.com -- let's work towards pulling Cynthia out of obscurity!

~ Richard

PostPosted: Mon July 14th, 2008, 05:33 GMT 
Titanium Member

Josepi wrote:

Hi Josepi

I don't know what radio is like in the UK.

If I still lived closer to NYC I'd still listen to such stations--there are quite a few still broadcasting--but there are few which I can pick up here, north of Philadelphia. But I still prefer to listen to stuff that's not the same-old.

These days I listen to a few black gospel music stations, most of which are lo-wattage am stations. Totally rocking music. Also small stations which cater to (quasi) ethnic audiences. Polka, bollywood, pakistani, pacific rim etc.

They're kinda the present-day version of the folk musicians I described listening to previous.

Probably your best bet is to listen via internet streaming.

There's one FM station in a small town about 5 miles from here, which can be heard worldwide via computer. Rootsy-americana-country-folk-bluesy blend of stuff. Some of their shows are kinda similar from Bob's Theme Time radio show. Here:
http://www.wdvrfm.org/index2.htm

PostPosted: Mon July 14th, 2008, 14:28 GMT 

Some other radio stations to try, if you have the bandwidth to listen online:

www.kbcs.fm

www.wfmu.org

www.kexp.org

PostPosted: Mon July 14th, 2008, 14:44 GMT 
Promethium Member

Josepi wrote:

There's a simple two word answer: Clear Channel.

PostPosted: Thu November 12th, 2009, 18:22 GMT 

Cynthia Gooding died in Kingston, New Jersey, in 1988.
Survived by daughters Ayshe and Leyla.
see http://www.cynthiagooding.com/cynthiagooding/index.cfm

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Fri November 13th, 2009, 00:34 GMT 
Promethium Member

totally random wrote:
She is such a kind person in this interview, encouraging and enthusiastic.

She's hitting on him from the first question on! :lol:

And successfully too I'll bet.

PostPosted: Fri November 13th, 2009, 01:25 GMT 

bixgomez wrote:

Hate to break it to ya, especially if you are young, but 99.999% of the world's population will follow a similar route.

PostPosted: Fri November 13th, 2009, 06:38 GMT 
Promethium Member

ptervin wrote:
bixgomez wrote:

Hate to break it to ya, especially if you are young, but 99.999% of the world's population will follow a similar route.

Well put. Anyone remember Luise Rainer?

First person to win Best Acting Oscars two years in a row.

PostPosted: Sun November 22nd, 2009, 22:39 GMT 

Would be nice if one of you Cynthia Gooding enthusiasts could do her Who's Who entry?

http://expectingrain.com/dok/who/who.html

Submit it to

who@edlis.org

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?v=inf ... 0679203901
http://www.cynthiagooding.com/cynthiagooding/index.cfm
http://expectingrain.com/dok/int/gooding.html