Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Tue August 14th, 2018, 23:04 GMT

All times are UTC




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Ballad in Plain D
PostPosted: Wed April 16th, 2008, 04:48 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Fri February 15th, 2008, 06:00 GMT
Posts: 850
Location: Albuquerque
This is a song I've never payed much attention to, and almost always skipped because of it's length. But, after hearing all the hate surrounding it made me curious, so I listened to the song, and carefully followed a sheet of lyrics as it went. And I can't help but wonder, what exactly is so horrible about it?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed April 16th, 2008, 05:00 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Sun March 12th, 2006, 21:19 GMT
Posts: 654
Location: Iceland
I also wonder, I quite like this song.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed April 16th, 2008, 05:01 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Mon January 28th, 2008, 02:20 GMT
Posts: 4998
Location: Pepsi
People don't seem to like that he called Carla Rotolo a "parasite".


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed April 16th, 2008, 05:06 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Fri February 15th, 2008, 06:00 GMT
Posts: 850
Location: Albuquerque
The Basement Tapes wrote:
People don't seem to like that he called Carla Rotolo a "parasite".
It's funny, cause that line is one of the reasons I like the song, cause I can relate to it. I hate my girlfriend's sister.

"Name me someone that's not a parasite and I'll go out and say a prayer for him"


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed April 16th, 2008, 05:08 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Mon January 28th, 2008, 02:20 GMT
Posts: 4998
Location: Pepsi
It really deserves a better reputation. In the vast pantheon of songs about breaking up with your girlfriend and really despising your girlfriend's sister, it's one of the best.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed April 16th, 2008, 05:39 GMT 
It is monotonous and almost as boring as "Highlands." I've never made it to the end of "Highlands" so I can't say for sure though. I asked my wife to tie me down so I could make it to the end one time but she got the wrong idea and left.


Top
  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed April 16th, 2008, 06:30 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Sat May 12th, 2007, 03:55 GMT
Posts: 1194
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Highlands is a masterpiece of all things. If there was a fire...and I had to choose between saving some poor, helpless old lady and a shiny new golden disc with Highlands on it, I would choose option 2. You should be ashamed of yerself, Long Bong.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed April 16th, 2008, 06:32 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Mon January 28th, 2008, 02:20 GMT
Posts: 4998
Location: Pepsi
Monotony is part of his act.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed April 16th, 2008, 09:40 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Thu July 13th, 2006, 00:28 GMT
Posts: 403
People who can't stand sitting through Highlands are the same people who don't have the patience to listen to Sad Eyed Lady of The Lowlands or Brownsville Girl either. They're the kind of people who need to spend the first couple of verses blabbering about how much they appreciate and understand Bob Dylan. If the song lingers on they have to shut up and actually listen after a while. They can't handle that.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed April 16th, 2008, 09:43 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Fri October 19th, 2007, 10:15 GMT
Posts: 1972
Location: Here, there and everywhere.
I can't sit through most of Leonard Cohen's songs and they are usually way shorter. Do I qualify?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed April 16th, 2008, 09:44 GMT 
Quote:
People who can't stand sitting through Highlands are the same people who don't have the patience to listen to Sad Eyed Lady of The Lowlands or Brownsville Girl either. They're the kind of people who need to spend the first couple of verses blabbering about how much they appreciate and understand Bob Dylan. If the song lingers on they have to shut up and actually listen after a while. They can't handle that.


which is complete tripe of course.......I love Sad Eyed Lady......I could listen to it non-stop for weeks, but Highlands is monotonous.....I get sick of hearing it.......you're just over-simplifying things......Highlands is a bore.......blah blah blah


Top
  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed April 16th, 2008, 09:47 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Fri October 19th, 2007, 10:15 GMT
Posts: 1972
Location: Here, there and everywhere.
ISN wrote:
which is complete tripe of course.......I love Sad Eyed Lady......I could listen to it non-stop for weeks, but Highlands is monotonous.....I get sick of hearing it.......you're just over-simplifying things......Highlands is a bore.......blah blah blah


I do like the part about the restaurant, though.
I prefer reading 'Highlands' over listening to it and that must surely be a bad sign considering it's a song. :shock:
If it was just as long as 'Sugar Baby', it would be great.
Unfortunately, it's not. Still I think it's not bad, really.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed April 16th, 2008, 09:59 GMT 
Banned

Joined: Thu April 5th, 2007, 09:03 GMT
Posts: 435
Location: London
the live versions of Highlands are magnificent - the album version is too slow

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed April 16th, 2008, 10:04 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Mon January 28th, 2008, 02:20 GMT
Posts: 4998
Location: Pepsi
It helps if you think of Highlands less as a song, and more as a piece of installation art.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed April 16th, 2008, 10:05 GMT 
Quote:
I do like the part about the restaurant, though.


apart from that, it's an exercise in monotony......I haven't listened to it for years......I might put it on again tomorrow......and find out which is more boring TOOM or work :shock:


Top
  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed April 16th, 2008, 10:07 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Fri October 19th, 2007, 10:15 GMT
Posts: 1972
Location: Here, there and everywhere.
The Basement Tapes wrote:
It helps if you think of Highlands less as a song, and more as a piece of installation art.


:lol: That justified 'Inland Empire' for me as well! :shock:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed April 16th, 2008, 10:13 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Mon January 28th, 2008, 02:20 GMT
Posts: 4998
Location: Pepsi
TinyMontgomery wrote:
The Basement Tapes wrote:
It helps if you think of Highlands less as a song, and more as a piece of installation art.


:lol: That justified 'Inland Empire' for me as well! :shock:


I saw that flick in the theater with about 5 other strangers in the audience. After about two hours, all of us were taking turns heckling the screen. Good times.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed April 16th, 2008, 10:27 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Fri October 19th, 2007, 10:15 GMT
Posts: 1972
Location: Here, there and everywhere.
The Basement Tapes wrote:
TinyMontgomery wrote:
The Basement Tapes wrote:
It helps if you think of Highlands less as a song, and more as a piece of installation art.


:lol: That justified 'Inland Empire' for me as well! :shock:


I saw that flick in the theater with about 5 other strangers in the audience. After about two hours, all of us were taking turns heckling the screen. Good times.


I fell asleep during that film and when I awoke, nothing had changed on the screen and I had no idea how much time had passed in the meantime. Heckling would have been good entertainment for a change...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed April 16th, 2008, 11:05 GMT 
Titanium Member

Joined: Mon December 20th, 2004, 21:38 GMT
Posts: 8316
People don't like it because Bob says he regrets it.

It's not a great song by any stretch of the imagination, but I can't see any reason for the strong dislike of it other than the point mentioned above.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed April 16th, 2008, 11:22 GMT 

Joined: Sun May 6th, 2007, 23:53 GMT
Posts: 606
Here's all the reason you need to hate the song:



I once loved a girl, her skin it was bronze.
With the innocence of a lamb, she was gentle like a fawn.
I courted her proudly but now she is gone,
Gone as the season she's taken.

Through young summer's breeze, I stole her away
From her mother and sister, though close did they stay.
Each one of them suffering from the failures of their day,
With strings of guilt they tried hard to guide us.

Of the two sisters, I loved the young.
With sensitive instincts, she was the creative one.
The constant scapegoat, she was easily undone
By the jealousy of others around her.

For her parasite sister, I had no respect,
Bound by her boredom, her pride to protect.
Countless visions of the other she'd reflect
As a crutch for her scenes and her society.

Myself, for what I did, I cannot be excused,
The changes I was going through can't even be used,
For the lies that I told her in hopes not to lose
The could-be dream-lover of my lifetime.

With unknown consciousness, I possessed in my grip
A magnificent mantelpiece, though its heart being chipped,
Noticing not that I'd already slipped
To a sin of love's false security.

From silhouetted anger to manufactured peace,
Answers of emptiness, voice vacancies,
Till the tombstones of damage read me no questions but, "Please,
What's wrong and what's exactly the matter?"

And so it did happen like it could have been foreseen,
The timeless explosion of fantasy's dream.
At the peak of the night, the king and the queen
Tumbled all down into pieces.

"The tragic figure!" her sister did shout,
"Leave her alone, God damn you, get out!"
And I in my armor, turning about
And nailing her to the ruins of her pettiness.

Beneath a bare light bulb the plaster did pound
Her sister and I in a screaming battleground.
And she in between, the victim of sound,
Soon shattered as a child 'neath her shadows.

All is gone, all is gone, admit it, take flight.
I gagged twice, doubled, tears blinding my sight.
My mind it was mangled, I ran into the night
Leaving all of love's ashes behind me.

The wind knocks my window, the room it is wet.
The words to say I'm sorry, I haven't found yet.
I think of her often and hope whoever she's met
Will be fully aware of how precious she is.

Ah, my friends from the prison, they ask unto me,
"How good, how good does it feel to be free?"
And I answer them most mysteriously,
"Are birds free from the chains of the skyway?"


Ugh! Makes Are You Ready? sound like a poetic masterpiece and makes When You Gonna Wake Up? seem subtle.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed April 16th, 2008, 13:47 GMT 
NewAlias wrote:
People who can't stand sitting through Highlands are the same people who don't have the patience to listen to Sad Eyed Lady of The Lowlands or Brownsville Girl either. They're the kind of people who need to spend the first couple of verses blabbering about how much they appreciate and understand Bob Dylan. If the song lingers on they have to shut up and actually listen after a while. They can't handle that.


Or, people who actually claim to like Highlands are the same people who think he plays "good" lead guitar.

Which is to say, people whose moms dropped them on their heads when they were babies.

A lot.

And I like Brownsville Girl (though Sad Eyed Lady is also boring over written crapola). :P


Top
  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed April 16th, 2008, 14:33 GMT 

Joined: Mon September 10th, 2007, 17:11 GMT
Posts: 1375
I always try to go back to Sad Eyed Lady. I listen to the first two or three verses and think "Hey this is great!" and then it just keeps going and I give up, same thing with Highlands.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed April 16th, 2008, 14:33 GMT 

Joined: Sat August 11th, 2007, 01:15 GMT
Posts: 2255
Location: DC
A case could be made for admiring Dylan's songcraft while despising his poetic skills, from this example by itself. I'd give it a C+.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed April 16th, 2008, 14:56 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Wed February 7th, 2007, 20:05 GMT
Posts: 3885
Location: right here
Long John wrote:
NewAlias wrote:
People who can't stand sitting through Highlands are the same people who don't have the patience to listen to Sad Eyed Lady of The Lowlands or Brownsville Girl either. They're the kind of people who need to spend the first couple of verses blabbering about how much they appreciate and understand Bob Dylan. If the song lingers on they have to shut up and actually listen after a while. They can't handle that.


Or, people who actually claim to like Highlands are the same people who think he plays "good" lead guitar.

Which is to say, people whose moms dropped them on their heads when they were babies.

A lot.

And I like Brownsville Girl (though Sad Eyed Lady is also boring over written crapola). :P


hmmmm, overgeneralizing there a little LJ? I LOVE Highlands but don't think much about the guitar playing on it--and I was never that I know of dropped repeatedly on my head.
And for the record, I'm tired of SELOTLL and never did get much out of Brownsville Girl, although I'm still giving that one time to perculate before coming to anything like a final conclusion.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed April 16th, 2008, 15:22 GMT 
Let me know how Highlands ends would you? I can never stay awake to the end.


Top
  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Still Go Barefoot


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group