Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Sun September 23rd, 2018, 10:03 GMT

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri August 19th, 2016, 07:57 GMT 

kuddukan wrote:
I agree, let's do a new project on this but don't let the riff raff decide on it. 8)
Direct democracy will get you nowhere. You can't blame folks for voting for what they've heard but at a minimum panel members should be familiarized with everything on a long list

PostPosted: Fri August 19th, 2016, 12:31 GMT 

AndoDoug wrote:
songanddanceman wrote:
Crazy list.
I could come up with an alternative top ten list that would knock that out the water.

No Upper Darby 1988?
No Montreal 1975?
No Munster 2000?
San Francisco 1980?
Nothing from London or Paris 1990?
Prague 11th March, 1995, jeez, the first show is good but it ain't even the best Prague show, let alone worthy of all time top ten!

This post highlights issues of how a list like this is produced. In the early rounds of the best songs list we merely solicited suggestions, and better informed individuals weighed in. Later these suggestions were added to polls and promptly lost to their better known peers. Note that it's unlikely that most who vote against boots that have not been made more easily available have had a chance to hear them (thus the value of these projects).
We need a panel like the ones Mojo puts together imho

What would be the ideal solution then? No one is going to put together a quorum to decide on this. I think the only thing that can be done is to solicit the suggestions, create a poll, and link to each show in the poll. Maybe even make the "nomination thread" weighted so that only 4 or 5 shows per year can be nominated, and its based on the number of people who nominate them early on? Maybe blind nominations to prevent favoritism, then a public poll?

PostPosted: Fri August 19th, 2016, 21:21 GMT 
Titanium Member

I hope someone organizes this. I'll vote. This top 75--now pretty old--was a nice guide for me in '08 when I was looking for as many concerts as possible to listen to.

PostPosted: Sun August 21st, 2016, 00:30 GMT 

kuddukan wrote:
I agree, let's do a new project on this but don't let the riff raff decide on it. 8)
Yes, myself excluded. I think we need ways to incentivize our most resourceful bootleggers and valuable insiders to contribute more - too many lame threads multiplying!

PostPosted: Sun August 21st, 2016, 01:56 GMT 
Promethium Member

The Fall 2003 tour (33 shows) and the Spring 2004 tour should be about 66 of the 75. Choosing the final nine shows could be tough as the entire Fall 2002 and Fall 2000 shows were incredible as well.

PostPosted: Sun February 18th, 2018, 00:39 GMT 
Promethium Member

kuddukan wrote:

Did you ever do the project, Kudd?
Or was it simply thrown over the fence to whoever you deem to be "the riff raff?"

It was a good idea. Did you see it through?
Interested if it was followed-up on. Please link us to the results.

PostPosted: Mon February 19th, 2018, 09:32 GMT 

First time ive seen this, very good list although personally i would add new orleans 1981 in there.