Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Fri August 17th, 2018, 09:08 GMT

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat August 27th, 2005, 19:00 GMT 
Titanium Member

Do you know of any really unlikely celebrity Dylan fans? To get the stone rolling, how about 'Stormin' Norman Schwarzkopf, commander-in-chief of the US military during the Gulf War? Apparently, he used to play 'Masters Of War' every single night as his bedtime lullaby- in his post-war years, of course. Only kidding, but he was a huge fan of Bobby D.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat August 27th, 2005, 19:25 GMT 
Titanium Member

Dylan said in Chronicles that he might have been a general if he had lived in the 1800's. Then there's that great picture of him in Newsweek last year when the book came out. He's standing in a suit next to some junk cars, leaning on two swords. The caption read "Bob Dylan at his home in California". Schwartzy, like Dylan, commands a lot of respect.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat August 27th, 2005, 21:47 GMT 

I'd love to see that picture -do you know where it might be on the net and could you post it?

He's not exactly unlikely but I read an interview with George Galloway and he said he was a huge fan of Bob Dylan especially his protest songs. Well, that just about confirmed my suspicion of him as a complete poser and a delusioned twat, way before other people realised this too. For the Americans here, he's this rather obnoxious MP. I won't go into why, it's a long story.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat August 27th, 2005, 22:22 GMT 
Titanium Member

For UK fans, Virginia Bottomley (former Tory cabinet minister) is another unlikely candidate that springs to mind.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat August 27th, 2005, 22:23 GMT 

Pamela Anderson. I heard she named her son after him.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat August 27th, 2005, 22:36 GMT 

The pic, Courtesy of Chrome Horse! EDIT Berrie. whoops!

What about Woody Allen, he named his daughter Dylan, and he's certainly unlikely.....hehe, you almost get the impression from Annie Hall that he doesn't like him! ("did you catch dylan?" "No, my raccoon had hepatitus" "must be tremendous hem"). Huge Woody fan here BTW :P

Last edited by Lady Byron on Sun August 28th, 2005, 09:01 GMT, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat August 27th, 2005, 22:38 GMT 

It was actually me who sent you that picture.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat August 27th, 2005, 22:39 GMT 

Lady Byron wrote:
I'd love to see that picture -do you know where it might be on the net and could you post it?

He's not exactly unlikely but I read an interview with George Galloway and he said he was a huge fan of Bob Dylan especially his protest songs. Well, that just about confirmed my suspicion of him as a complete poser and a delusioned twat, way before other people realised this too. For the Americans here, he's this rather obnoxious MP. I won't go into why, it's a long story.

Gone the other way on Galloway myself. Could not abide the man until his dignified, highly articulate performance in the Senate earlier this year. Went way up in my estimation.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat August 27th, 2005, 23:07 GMT 

"A nostalgic modernist at his California home"

Oh give me a break....Like Dylan lives in a junkyard or something..lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun August 28th, 2005, 01:44 GMT 
Here's one who was a Dylan fan, with pictures thanks to GFD. From the topic: Bob's audience with the Pope

Gray Flannel Dwarf wrote:
son of the wave wrote:
Did Bob play any songs when he met with John Paul II?

Looks like the Pope was the tokerman while Bob was playin' Jokerman
ImageImage
ImageImage

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun August 28th, 2005, 06:15 GMT 
Titanium Member

Lady Byron wrote:
George Galloway

During the last general election, in the Tower Hamlets constituency "Gorgeous George" was often to be seen atop his green Respect Party campaign bus with a bevy of admiring asian ladies. So energetic was the campaign, I sometimes had the feeling he was following me around. While I thought his choice of constituency was opportunistic and his victory speech attacking the Returning Officer was singularly graceless, I have to agree with Ross that he redeemed himself with his Senate appearance ("I met Sadam Hussein exactly the same number of times as Rumsfeld, twice. The difference is that Rumsfeld was selling him guns while I was campaigning for peace.")

But come now, Lady B. Knowing your affection for older men, you must admit to George's general "gorgeousness". If only you could have seen him on that bus, you would have swooned. His suit was immaculate, his moustache neatly trimmed, his full head of greying hair a credit to him and he's beautifully groomed. I bet he shampoos with Loxene.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun August 28th, 2005, 08:56 GMT 
Titanium Member

How about Frank Sinatra? After Bob had sang 'Restless Farewell' to Frank at his televised 80th bash (and wished him 'Happy Birthday Mr Frank'), the only ones that were invited back to Sinatra's house afterwards were Dylan and Springsteen- no room for Tony Bennett and all the other crooners.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun August 28th, 2005, 09:18 GMT 

Eddie wrote:
Lady Byron wrote:
George Galloway

During the last general election, in the Tower Hamlets constituency "Gorgeous George" was often to be seen atop his green Respect Party campaign bus with a bevy of admiring asian ladies. So energetic was the campaign, I sometimes had the feeling he was following me around. While I thought his choice of constituency was opportunistic and his victory speech attacking the Returning Officer was singularly graceless, I have to agree with Ross that he redeemed himself with his Senate appearance ("I met Sadam Hussein exactly the same number of times as Rumsfeld, twice. The difference is that Rumsfeld was selling him guns while I was campaigning for peace.")

But come now, Lady B. Knowing your affection for older men, you must admit to George's general "gorgeousness". If only you could have seen him on that bus, you would have swooned. His suit was immaculate, his moustache neatly trimmed, his full head of greying hair a credit to him and he's beautifully groomed. I bet he shampoos with Loxene.

Call me naive and young, but he's still a politician. What's worse is that he's a politician with exceptional oratory skills. Eloquent his speech may have been, but to me he still reeks of fish. As it happens, my dad is setting up a foreign language school in Bethnal Green and so for the past year he's been living there. He also used to be a journalist and so is familiar with the smarmy ways and dealings of politicians -and he says that Galloway is doing a big fat nothing for the constituency...he mentioned some worse things but I'm afraid I've forgotten them.

I could be wrong of course. He might be genuine. But there only a select few politicians that do seem genuine, the late Robin Cook for example. Anyway, he made that boo-boo about Bob! Of course we can't trust him! :twisted:

P.S Bleugh! Nothing gorgeous about George, just vanity! Oona King WAS gorgeous though, by all rights she should have that title.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun August 28th, 2005, 10:20 GMT 

Jim W wrote:
Here's one who was a Dylan fan, with pictures thanks to GFD. From the topic: Bob's audience with the Pope

Gray Flannel Dwarf wrote:
son of the wave wrote:
Did Bob play any songs when he met with John Paul II?

Looks like the Pope was the tokerman while Bob was playin' Jokerman
ImageImage

Is the Pope playing harmonica? :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun August 28th, 2005, 10:38 GMT 
Titanium Member

Lady B.

I'd agree with you about the late Robin Cook, a man of intelligence and honour who had the grace to resign his cabinet post because his conscience told him that the Iraq War was illegal. Most politicians you couldn't prise from office with a cold chisel. He was an ugly sod, but I'll miss him.

And I'd also agree with you about Oona King, a good constituency MP and very beautiful too. I liked Jeremy Paxman's first question to His Gorgeousness on the victory podium on election night: "Do you feel proud of having ousted one of the few black women MP's in parliament?" Oona's downfall came from supporting the war in a constituency with a high muslim demographic. But that's democracy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon August 29th, 2005, 04:37 GMT 

i heard Johnny Depp's kids names are Rosemary, Jack and Lily.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon August 29th, 2005, 07:19 GMT 

Yeah! Lily-Rose and Jack I believe. The coolest man on earth just got cooler.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon August 29th, 2005, 09:52 GMT 
Titanium Member

Prince Charles did attend the final Royal Albert Hall concert in 1966- but I understand the ticket was his mother's, who couldn't attend, owing to an overrunning garden party.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon August 29th, 2005, 14:33 GMT 
Titanium Member

precinct14 wrote:
Prince Charles did attend the final Royal Albert Hall concert in 1966- but I understand the ticket was his mother's, who couldn't attend, owing to an overrunning garden party.
:lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon August 29th, 2005, 14:38 GMT 
Titanium Member

There are no kings inside the gates of Eden

OR

The princess and the prince discuss
What's real and what is not

Don't think I need continue, really. Other quotes will occur to you, I'm sure.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon August 29th, 2005, 14:41 GMT 

very wrote:

That is incredibly cool! I was watching Blow last night for the first time and he recites some of the lyrics to It Ain't Me Babe to a judge, must have been his own input 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon August 29th, 2005, 17:07 GMT 
Titanium Member

And don't forget Eddie- Bob has 'met Prince Philip at the home of the Blues'.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon August 29th, 2005, 18:20 GMT 

very wrote:

No way!! Very cool.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon August 29th, 2005, 19:25 GMT 

and we all thought we were obsessed :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon August 29th, 2005, 20:48 GMT 
Titanium Member

Lady Byron wrote:
George Galloway

Just to clear up any possible misunderstanding, I didn't vote for Galloway. Although I'm a life-long Labour supporter, I couldn't bring myself to vote for Blair and his illegal war either. So I voted Green.